Page 134 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144 ... LastLast
Results 6,651 to 6,700 of 8178
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BOA View Post
    Attachment 948357Attachment 948358Attachment 948359Attachment 948360
    New Set.
    Light Bicycle All mountain Wheelset 29er 3K, Matte wide rims 30mm/23mm inner width, new process. Hooked. hubs: black Novatec front D811-15mm thru axle and black Novatec rear D812-10*135mm QR

all mountain 29er carbon mtb wheels clincher tubeless wheel ready Light-Bicycle

Paid $568 + shipping. Happy with $568 + shipping.

This is my backup set. Never had to use it. Indestructible
    Yea the Novatec hubs really aren't holding up to that indestructible comment. Glad they work for you though.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    I'd also like to know. Only oval cf rims I know of are derby's and the 38 mm rims which may be overkill. In essence I wanna save and get Chinese since it's cheaper than derby's. 3 for the price of 2 but oval,warranty is nice. I have a set of Chinese 35 mm now and love them just wish they were oval. Aesthetic preference
    The 38mm rims have thicker hookless sides...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also the 38mm u shape are deeper profile allowing for shorter spokes, I emailed LB and asked them about making u shaped 35mm rims. They said they would find out, but nothing as of now. I think the 38mm is overkill for 29er's, my 30mm LB rims with wide 2.30 tires are tight on the rear so the 38mm rims would cause tires to rub on rear of my Pivot 429c. I also like the u shape profile, come on LB make 35mm rims with the u shape profile !!

Girani2486

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look on page 262.

Girani2486

Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 01:51 PM.

BOA
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Yea the Novatec hubs really aren't holding up to that indestructible comment. Glad they work for you though.
    I guess nothing is "indestructible"...

I have been hammering my no 1 set. 1m (3ft) drops, rockgardens with Racing Ralph wich could not handle the abuse and moved to Maxxis Ardent. Much stronger. No problems with the Novatec or more important the Carbon from Light Bicycle.

Weight 1714g with skewers on not so reliable scale
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dsc_0553.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dsc_0556.jpg
    Last edited by BOA; 12-31-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Any opinions if any of these options is better or worse than the others and why?

I blew up a rear Easton Carbon hoop. Now I can build a set using a hub (Stealth) I have always been interested in, but never had a justified reason for trying.
    Familiarizing myself with all of the rim choices was a learning curve!
    So many options, but it looks like this option from Nextie what I am leaning towards ...sidewall height is 5.5mm
    Name:  untitled.png
Views: 1341
Size:  19.8 KB

Although, to add to the learning curve, the 31.6/38 rim profile from Light Bicycle listed a few pages back looked like a winner as well.
    I wonder what the sidewall height is on these..
    Name:  29er%2038mm%20wide.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  16.7 KB

Looking for people that have had previous experience with their products.

x post from wheel and tire thread. Seems to be ALOT of folks here with firsthand experience.

Thanks.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Freaking amazing the evolution that mountain bike rims have experienced by looking at this thread alone.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    And another question... rim weight. At these widths and depths it is expected to weigh more. I weigh 175 riding weight and ride pretty hard.. 3' drops to chunk, fast descents over chunk, but I do try to ride "light", float as best I can over the rough.
    any thoughts on 32h 410g vs 32h 450g
    for what its worth the old hoop that blew was about 375g 24h 21/28mm width with 298mm spokes

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    You may want to spend a few pounds to get this excellent eBook on wheel building before ordering spokes:
    Wheelbuilding book for building bicycle wheels

After reading this book, you will likely have no need for anyone to confirm the spoke length for your rims. Also search this thread for the lively discussions on spoke length calculators including the one by prowheelbuilder.com.

I followed the steps in Roger Musson's ebook to build my first wheelset this past summer (also using the same Hope Pro 2 evo hubs with LB 27.5 35mm rims). Plan to build my 2nd set using LB's 38/31.6mm 29er rims during the Christmas holidays.

LB is starting to make 38mm outer 29er rims in a few weeks. Here is the profile for anyone interested:

Attachment 942032
    Man, we have absolutely identical stories, just a few years apart. I've now done three wheel sets and never miss a chance to endorse Musson's book. Some of the best money I've spent.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    And another question... rim weight. At these widths and depths it is expected to weigh more. I weigh 175 riding weight and ride pretty hard.. 3' drops to chunk, fast descents over chunk, but I do try to ride "light", float as best I can over the rough.
    any thoughts on 32h 410g vs 32h 450g
    for what its worth the old hoop that blew was about 375g 24h 21/28mm width with 298mm spokes
    Go with the beefier rim. You won't suffer the extra 50g too much and it's well worth it for riding without trepidation in the "chunk" as you say.

Lazy Overachiever
    Any opinions if any of these options is better or worse than the others and why?

I blew up a rear Easton Carbon hoop. Now I can build a set using a hub (Stealth) I have always been interested in, but never had a justified reason for trying.
    Familiarizing myself with all of the rim choices was a learning curve!
    So many options, but it looks like this option from Nextie what I am leaning towards ...sidewall height is 5.5mm
    Name:  untitled.png
Views: 1341
Size:  19.8 KB

Although, to add to the learning curve, the 31.6/38 rim profile from Light Bicycle listed a few pages back looked like a winner as well.
    I wonder what the sidewall height is on these..
    Name:  29er%2038mm%20wide.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  16.7 KB

Looking for people that have had previous experience with their products.

x post from wheel and tire thread. Seems to be ALOT of folks here with firsthand experience.

Thanks.
    Just curious where you found the Nextie rim on their site. They show a "newly listed" 35mm 27.5, but the link shows a 30mm rim instead.

Thanks

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    They emailed it to me when I was asking questions about offerings with the bead lock shoulder in the rim bed.... "While, we are ready to update NXT29H07, the new 35mm 29 rim to our website. Itís with a beadlock."

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

Has anyone had problems with the tire bead not being secure

Has anyone had any issues with the tire bead not being secure on hookless rims that do not have the bead lock shoulders in the rim bed?
    According to LB, the only reason they include them is beacause customers are afraid to purchase rims with out them. According to LB, nobody ever has had a problem with burping or the bead rolling off of hookless rims that do not have the bead lock shoulders.
    So it seems that they are added for marketing, since it really doesn't make an actual improvement...?
    Is this correct?

Mr. Knowitall
    I do not have a problem with burping on my LB 35mm hookless

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    I do not have a problem with burping on my LB 35mm hookless
    Just to confirm... those are hookless without bead lock ridges molded into the rim bed?

Mr. Knowitall

Sv: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Just to confirm... those are hookless without bead lock ridges molded into the rim bed?
    Yes they are!

Lazy Overachiever
    They emailed it to me when I was asking questions about offerings with the bead lock shoulder in the rim bed.... "While, we are ready to update NXT29H07, the new 35mm 29 rim to our website. Itís with a beadlock."
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi guys. Another great thread

What is the lightest Chinese carbon rim available at the moment?

I can't seem to find lighter than the ones on Light-Bicycle at 365+/-15g. 22mm internal width is fine for me.

The tubular rims are a bit lighter but not really worth it for me with tyre choice being pretty limited at the moment.

Even the 18/19mm internal width rims from other manufacturers seem pretty much the same claimed weight (e.g. XmiPlay 19mm internal @ 350+/-15g)... so the Light-Bicycle seem like the best option both from a weight and sensible width point of view.... unless anyone knows any hidden gems around?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Tubular

Tapatalk upgrade sucks. Be sure to rate this bloatware so they fix it!
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have been following this on and off for a while. Many love LB rims. I saw one of you mention carbonbicycle. Looks like LB and CC are the same rims but with different price tag. Are they really the same? By March I need/want to build XC race wheels with hubs from team sponsor plus CX-Ray spokes and trying to find a rim that will be reliable/light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    After pondering this for several hours, I have a theory that seems to fit all the facts. If you don't want to read all the boring stuff just scroll down to the bottom to see what I believe is a logical explanation.

First I have to say that this is just a theory and I can't prove it. It does seem to be able to explain all the believed facts though and I have tried to think of other explanations without success.

What we think we know:
    1. Doesn't seem to affect road wheels.
    2. Even seems to affect Enve wheels which are molded holes and only resin not carbon is touching the nipples so the conductivity should be low.
    3. Seems to affect some wheels more than others and even some nipples more than others.
    4. Frequent washing or wet riding conditions seem to enhance the problem.
    5. Seems to attack the nipples from the very end and not so much where they are in contact with the rim.
    6. The type of rim strip/tape seems not to affect the problem much-reports with Bontrager, Stans Tape, and Gorilla Tape.
    It does effect road wheels with sealant. Search for "Shimano C24 corrosion". There's a bad interaction between bare Aluminum and sealant (especially Stan's).

The C24 rims are true tubeless, without any spoke holes, the corrosion is just the rim interior. Its much less common on MTB wheels because the rim strips protect the nipples and rim from the sealant.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Those are rims not nipples. Sounds like Shimano didn't do an adequate job of anodizing the rims or used an alloy that is susceptible to corrosion. My Stans rims have been bathing in sealant for up to 6 years now with no corrosion on the rims or nipples. Also, I have a set of Shimano 7801 rims that are also no nipple hole design. They have been set up tubeless with Hutchison Fusion tires for 3 years with no corrosion so far.

This still fits my theory. The aluminum Stan's rims would hold electrons too in addition to the nipples and since the electrons would be spread over the surface of all the aluminum and the rims contact the sealant, etc. the electrons could bleed off and not be concentrated in the ends of the nipples causing the voltage there to build up sufficiently to breach the anodizing.

EMBA Member
    I was thinking of buying myself a pair of these for the new year.

carbon 29er mtb rims 38mm wide hookless tubeless compatible strongest Light-Bicycle

I go around 200lbs, ride trails aggresively, but avoid anything more than small jumps. I consider roots and rocks to be fun.

I asked the online help if they thought the all mountain version was suitable or would they recommend the downhill version. I was surprised they recommend the heavier duty downhill rims.

I'd have thought, and still think, that the all mountain version should easily be strong enough.

It isn't a huge weight penalty to go the DH version, but I thought I was already over-building a little bit with the all-mountain version of this rim.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Thoughts - I've seen a fair few cracked rims from rock strike in all brands . LB wide rims have encouraged people to go lower pressure and the outcome of this is rim strikes and cracked rims. LB are recommending DH rims to those that cracked their wide rims.

If you don't get rim strikes on your current rims at current pressures you'll be fine - just don't drop your pressure with the wider rims

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wide rims or not, a rock strike would crack any rim with low psi right?

I'm sorry of thinking the same thing. Going all mountain or dh

mtbr member
    Wide rims don't crack easier , it's just the riders that start running liwer pressure - eg hard cornerers suffer burping and keep pressure up to stop burping - same rider gets wider rims which don't burp as easy and he lets out 5psi - bang - rim strike

Also Alu rims don't crack, they bend , so carbon wide does not automatically lower pressures

mtbr member
    May 2013
    But going wider and utilizing the same psi will result in a rock hard tire no? Its like trying to run 30 psi on a fat bike tire. (Don't know scientific terms) but I have the 35 mm and went from 35 to about 25 psi. Lol. Maybe I should rethink that

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    But going wider and utilizing the same psi will result in a rock hard tire no? Its like trying to run 30 psi on a fat bike tire. (Don't know scientific terms) but I have the 35 mm and went from 35 to about 25 psi. Lol. Maybe I should rethink that
    Everything depends on the factors involved. Weight, terrain and speed.
    You're ok if you have enough psi so you don't get rim hits.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I feel that riding style, riding surface (rocks, hero dirt, jumps, high speed turns, etc) and rider weight all should factoe into the tire psi on any given day. Some days I'll add a few psi because I know I be riding through the chunk, boosting off rocky ledges onto more rocky ledges and I don't want to risk rim strikes, or I may be hitting high speed turns with hero dirt and I don't want to risk rolling the bead.
    My experience is that 5 psi makes a very noticable difference.
    I do not know if 20 psi in a 30mm rim is firmer than 20psi in a 21mm rim.
    But I plan on finding that out soon!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

Recent Chinese carbon rim summary

Here is a summary of what I have found through websites and email correspondences with Light-Bicycle and NextieÖ

Nextie Bike offers a 2 year warranty and has
    NXT29H04: 27mm outer/22mm inner, 23mm rim depth, Weight: 360+/-10g
    NXT29H06: 30mm outer/25mm inner, 25 rim depth, Weight: 380g
    NXT29H07: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 28mm rim depth, Weight: 410g light version and 450g AM version
    NXT29H03: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 25mm rim depth, Weight: 410g light version, 440g AM version and 520g DH version
    NXT29H05: 40mm outer/35mm inner, 30 rim depth, Weight: 420g light version and 460g AM version
    All have beadlock ridges in the rim bed other than NXT29H03
    All Nextie rims Max Spoke Tension: 150kgf
    NXT29H07 is not yet listed on their webpage, they emailed me the profile and specs.

Light-Bicycle offers a 1 year warranty and has
    RM29C06: 27mm outer/22mm inner, 24mm rim depth, Weight: 365g
    RM29C02: 30mm outer/24mm inner, 20mm rim depth, Weight: 390g
    RM29C07: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 25mm rim depth, Weight: 420g
    RM29C14: 38mm outer/31.6mm inner, Depth 32mm, Weight: 450g light version and 500g DH version
    Only RM29C14 has beadlock ridges in the rim bed. It also has thicker sidewalls, 3.2mm vs 2.5mm
    All Light-Bicycle rims Max Spoke Tension: 180kgf

According to Light-Bicycle bead lock ridges are not necessary, they have only added them as a result of customer concerns about the tire being secure to the rim. Also according to Light-Bicycle they use an exclusive process to manufacture their rims. They claim it produces more uniform wall thickness and overall uniformity on the inside cavity of the rim.
    I have inquired to Nextie if they use the same facility and process.

Also I think I recall somewhere on Light-Bicycles web page that they will add additional layers/increase weight to any rim if you ask them to.

I havenít emailed Carbon-Bicycle, so I donít know anything other than what their website offers about them. They seem to offer most of the same rims as Light-Bicycle other than the RM29C14 and their webpage is of very similar design as well. They are about $15 cheaper per rim across the product range. The do list some additional data regarding testing rim strength.

Thatís the bottom line from about a week worth of emails and internet research. I must say that both Nextie and Light-bicycle answer all emails promptly and with seemingly quality answers to my technical inquiries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    LB has 35/30 rims for 180. CB has that rim for 145. 70 less on a pair.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    LB has 35/30 rims for 180. CB has that rim for 145. 70 less on a pair.
    Is it exactly the same wheel? If I can save somewhere I will. I want the 38 and 35s. 38 since I'm a pretty rough rider and in weigh 240

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is it exactly the same wheel? If I can save somewhere I will. I want the 38 and 35s. 38 since I'm a pretty rough rider and in weigh 240
    It could be a better build. I've had no problems running it as a rear in rocky rooty terrain.
    Remarkable change-new manufacture process is applied for Mountain Bike(MTB) carb - NEWSLETTER - Carbon Bicycle, Carbon Frame, Carbon Rims, Carbon Wheels, Carbon Wheelsets, Carbon Mountain Bike, Carbon Road Bike, Carbon Handlebar
    The 38 will be stronger but heavier and cost more.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I will also add that it seems the manufacturers / developers of these Chinese carbon rims have listened to consumers and are quick to implement improvements. Carbon rims seem to have experienced rapid evolution and affordability over the past couple of years driven by consumer feedback.
    Win-win?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Bro, at 175lb I have gone through 2 carbon hoops in 3 yrs. Now, granted I ride pretty hard over rugged terrain, but these were not the Light Bike, Carbon-bike, Nextie rims... these were reputable recognized name brand hoops.
    I have come to the conclusion that like anything that is ridden hard and put up wet, rear hoops probably arent going to last forever, but the stonger ones will last longer. All of Derbys rims are beefier.
    If I weighed 240# and rode hard I would definately go for the beefier options.
    At 175, I'm thinking that 38mm rim may be my best option as well.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Bro, at 175lb I have gone through 2 carbon hoops in 3 yrs. Now, granted I ride pretty hard over rugged terrain, but these were not the Light Bike, Carbon-bike, Nextie rims... these were reputable recognized name brand hoops.
    I have come to the conclusion that like anything that is ridden hard and put up wet, rear hoops probably arent going to last forever, but the stonger ones will last longer. All of Derbys rims are beefier.
    If I weighed 240# and rode hard I would definately go for the beefier options.
    At 175, I'm thinking that 38mm rim may be my best option as well.
    With that said I will go 38 dh version. I'll put to test some real enves this summer on my downhill bike. If I break those then I'll just stick to Chinese carbon. Thanks for info

EMBA Member
    Here is a summary of what I have found through websites and email correspondences with Light-Bicycle and NextieÖ

Nextie Bike offers a 2 year warranty and has
    NXT29H04: 27mm outer/22mm inner, 23mm rim depth, Weight: 360+/-10g
    NXT29H06: 30mm outer/25mm inner, 25 rim depth, Weight: 380g
    NXT29H07: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 28mm rim depth, Weight: 410g light version and 450g AM version
    NXT29H03: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 25mm rim depth, Weight: 410g light version, 440g AM version and 520g DH version
    NXT29H05: 40mm outer/35mm inner, 30 rim depth, Weight: 420g light version and 460g AM version
    All have beadlock ridges in the rim bed other than NXT29H03
    All Nextie rims Max Spoke Tension: 150kgf
    NXT29H07 is not yet listed on their webpage, they emailed me the profile and specs.

Light-Bicycle offers a 1 year warranty and has
    RM29C06: 27mm outer/22mm inner, 24mm rim depth, Weight: 365g
    RM29C02: 30mm outer/24mm inner, 20mm rim depth, Weight: 390g
    RM29C07: 35mm outer/30mm inner, 25mm rim depth, Weight: 420g
    RM29C14: 38mm outer/31.6mm inner, Depth 32mm, Weight: 450g light version and 500g DH version
    Only RM29C14 has beadlock ridges in the rim bed. It also has thicker sidewalls, 3.2mm vs 2.5mm
    All Light-Bicycle rims Max Spoke Tension: 180kgf
    Great summary. Thanks for posting. The thing I'm focused on is the side wall thickness. In the Light Bicycle RM29C14 which I am thinking of buying, the rim wall thickness is 3.2MM while in all the Nextie rims, it is 2.5MM. More carbon in the spot where rims suffer the most trail damage seems like an good thing to me. For that rim, a 100g weight penalty for the two rims going DH instead of AM is worth it. Less than 1/4 pound total for stronger rims seems like an easy decision.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Actual cross section picture of the 38mm. Compare that to the pics on derby's website and share what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-1.jpg  

EMBA Member
    Here's a picture taken from the Derby website.

Name:  Derby rim.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  13.9 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

hookless

does hookless rim mean tubeless ready rim ?

EMBA Member
    It looks like the side of the rim section the tire contacts with sticks up higher on the derby. The derby rim thickness is thinner sooner heading lower in the picture, and thinner overall in this part of the rim. The inside radius of the rim is more rounded on the Derby. The upper sidewall of the light bicycle rim looks thicker, but that might be an illusion. The section that connects the left and right rim walls to each other looks thicker on the derby. What that all means is a mystery to me, but what I guess is that
    the light bicycle product looks very competative with the Derby, and given the cost difference, is the way to go.

What do you think?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I've asked Nextie if they could send me some actual cross section pics.
    I'm hoping they oblige me.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I don't know which one is the derby, but I would want the on the right.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Both are derby I believe. Thats off their site

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    The bead lock ridges in the rim bed of the Derby look much more defined. As does the spoke hole section of the rim. Side walls look much more defined as well.

I have other pics from LB that I will share when I get back to my laptop. We'll be able to make a better visual comparison. Especially if Nextie comes through.

EMBA Member

Both are derby in the picture I posted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Actual cross section picture of the 38mm. Compare that to the pics on derby's website and share what you think.
    Yeah, I agree the LB and Derbys do look different, although the 2 Derbys in the photo from his website look a bit different from each other too! Some of it may be the angle of the photo, but I noticed it particularly in the sidewall on the left example, where it looks tapered rather than rectangular.

The LB bead seat ridges look more like a curve of the tire bed, with uniform thickness. The Derbys have additional wall thickness too, which makes the bead seat ridges more defined as someone else pointed out.

The Derbys have a pretty uniform radius on the internal spoke bed area, whereas the LB internal spoke bed is fairly flat.

The sidewall height looks a little greater on the Derby too, although that may just be an illusion based on these other dimensional differences. Tire retention aside, I would prefer lower sidewalls just to give as much clearance, or "tire travel", before a rim strikes as possible. It seems like Stan and then other brands (American Classic) gradually lowered their sidewall heights 1-2 mm down to 3.5, but, with the concerns about hookless tire retention, everyone has bumped them back up to 5.5mm or so.

BTW, thanks for that great overview of the available models Dimitrin!