Page 134 of 267 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 144 184 234 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 6657
    www.derbyrims.com
    Thanks AZ'
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    24 according to this review.

Ride It, Fix It: Novatec MTB Hubs Review

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Looking for some opinions on spokes/lacing for these rims. I was going to use butted spokes like Sapim Lasers or DT Revos but heard that those weren't recommended for disc wheels. Also thinking of going 2x - some of the other carbon rim manufacturers recommend 2x. Looks like most folks are going 3x with a variety of different spokes - butted, straight and bladed. Any thoughts?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by slsl123 View Post
    Looking for some opinions on spokes/lacing for these rims. I was going to use butted spokes like Sapim Lasers or DT Revos but heard that those weren't recommended for disc wheels.
    They are fine for disc wheels.
    Also thinking of going 2x - some of the other carbon rim manufacturers recommend 2x. Looks like most folks are going 3x with a variety of different spokes - butted, straight and bladed. Any thoughts?
    ENVE recommends 2x due to their nipple hole layup alignment. Not a consideration or issue with the Nancy rims. You can't go wrong with 3x and it provides a better tangential spoke angle for transmitting torque (braking & drive forces), but 2x works fine too.
    This is a case where the opinions FAR outweigh any actual benifits or detriments from choosing one spoke or cross pattern over another.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by rvmdmechanic View Post
    So back on page 120 I asked about people running the NARROW rims TUBELESS.

I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in the wider rims, or the "benefits" of the wider rims. I give absolutely ZERO ****s about the wider rims. So Please, spare the "lectures" on the nature of wider rims and tires and resistance. I am exceedingly well-versed in the nature of those topics.

I am simply interested in whether or not anyone has anything notable to say about the reliability of the NARROW rims being run tubeless, preferably with Stan's tape or gorilla tape.

THANKS
    I've got the wider rims. They rock! You should get wider rims!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself....
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I've got the wider rims. They rock! You should get wider rims!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself....
    lol... I think that's called preemptive butt hurt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Whatever wide lovers...theyre alive!! This is my narrow rimmed lb wheel. I used gorilla tape and at first I tried a maxxis ikon it didn't inflate. Luckily I can return it due to them sending me the Wrong model. I then got a specialized fast trak, which is tubeless ready, and it inflated easily.So it's all about which tire you use. I now regret I used gorilla tape as I think Stan's tape would work fine and it's light. Glad I didn't get the wide ones like aIl the other sheep, I Mean real Mountain bikers. these are so light and they re gonna fly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20130215_162646.jpg  

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by mackienz View Post
    Glad I didn't get the wide ones like aIl the other sheep, I Mean real Mountain bikers. these are so light and they re gonna fly.
    Lol... your narrow rims with gorilla are heavier than wide ones with Stan's. I hope they don't slow you down too much.
    Let us know how that lateral flex the LB website talks about feels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Haha. Almost but not quite. Will let you know how the flex goes

mtbr member
    Anyone hear from LB after their New Year?

Nancy seems MIA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Anyone hear from LB after their New Year?

Nancy seems MIA
    I got an email from her yesterday.

mtbr member
    China does have quite the problem with workers never coming back to the factories, so I hear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I hope this is okay. I have a set of the Bonty rim strips and valves that I was going to use but my builder taped them without asking me so I have no use for them anymore. Let me know if you are looking for a set of the Rhythm Pro 29er strips and we can try to work something out.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    simpy16; you might want to keep them a while and make sure the tires you are using don't burp with just the tape.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    does anyone know why carbon rim manufacturers don't use extremely impact resistant composites in the outer layer? For example Kevlar or spectra. They aren't much more expensive than most reg. Carbon fiber. I've used Kevlar in the carbon fiber frames I make for myself, and the only downside is that it fuzzes during sanding. It looks really cool and would almost eliminate all of the rim wall cracks
    my carbon footprint has cleats

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Maybe it is just not as marketable. If it is harder to use in production that wouldn't help either. Yeah, it is a bugger to cut, and some have told me more susceptible to breaking down in sunlight but that I don't know. Most people want stiff/light so there may be limits on how much stuff they can use in a rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lobo7 View Post
    Forgive me if I've missed this but can someone explain the 'New Process' I keep seeing references too? What was changed, issues addressed, benefits?

Thx
    I don't know if the "new process" rims will be an improvement over the "old process rims but if you have a preference you need to specify when you place your order according to Brian at LB. They are shipping out both new/old randomly right now. Mine just shipped yesterday and I will be receiving "old process" rims.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by xc biker View Post
    does anyone know why carbon rim manufacturers don't use extremely impact resistant composites in the outer layer? For example Kevlar or spectra. They aren't much more expensive than most reg. Carbon fiber. I've used Kevlar in the carbon fiber frames I make for myself, and the only downside is that it fuzzes during sanding. It looks really cool and would almost eliminate all of the rim wall cracks
    I'm not sure that an impact resistant layer would do any good for the kind of damage a carbon rim gets. The rim sees more crushing forces, like hitting a curb at speed, not damage like being hit by a flying rock. I can see that would be a good thing to add to the underside of a frame downtube or something, but I think it would just add weight to a rim.

Then again, I'm no composites engineer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't know if the "new process" rims will be an improvement over the "old process rims but if you have a preference you need to specify when you place your order according to Brian at LB. They are shipping out both new/old randomly right now. Mine just shipped yesterday and I will be receiving "old process" rims.
    I emailed LB about this and they didn't really answer my question as to the difference between the two processes. Sounds like they are still waiting to see how the new process rims are received by customers and how they hold up. Anyone got the new process rims and have any thoughts?

(answer from Nancy)

"Yes, we sell both the process for 29er wide rims currently, and most part are still with the past process. Because the testing for new process haven't been finished, and we like to know how the customers ride on new process rims. Then make a decision when to change all molds for new process. And for customers' riding test, it will take around a few months.
    It is easy to see which rims are with new process, the serial number is "R02XXXXXXX". And for rims with the past process, it is with " R29C xxxxx"."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ordered road 38mm clinchers with DB hubs for my 29er. Seller said many used them in CX and no problems. Pic/review/weight will come soon
    Scott Scale 29er FHT, Scott Foil, Chinese 29er FHT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post
    I emailed LB about this and they didn't really answer my question as to the difference between the two processes. Sounds like they are still waiting to see how the new process rims are received by customers and how they hold up. Anyone got the new process rims and have any thoughts?

(answer from Nancy)

"Yes, we sell both the process for 29er wide rims currently, and most part are still with the past process. Because the testing for new process haven't been finished, and we like to know how the customers ride on new process rims. Then make a decision when to change all molds for new process. And for customers' riding test, it will take around a few months.
    It is easy to see which rims are with new process, the serial number is "R02XXXXXXX". And for rims with the past process, it is with " R29C xxxxx"."
    I am going to take a wild gues and say the new process is the same new process described for the 650b rims. Follow this link ... the new process seems better ...
    Technology Improve Of Light-Bicycle Carbon MTB 650B Rims Light-Bicycle
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post

(answer from Nancy)

So.... Customer beta testing. Greeeeaaat. I guess that's why the are cheap. I dunno, I would volunteer for that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    I am going to take a wild gues and say the new process is the same new process described for the 650b rims. Follow this link ... the new process seems better ...
    Technology Improve Of Light-Bicycle Carbon MTB 650B Rims Light-Bicycle
    Thanks for that link, it makes the new process sound a lot better than the old process but I guess they haven't got it perfected yet... that's why they haven't switched over completely.

I'd be tempted to ask for new process rims although I guess there's a risk without them being extensively tested yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I received my new process rims a couple days ago. I have no other carbon rim to compare them to, but I can find no visual flaw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I received my new process rims a couple days ago. I have no other carbon rim to compare them to, but I can find no visual flaw.
    have you weighed them? Interested to know if there's any weight difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll weigh them this weekend