Page 133 of 261 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 143 183 233 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 6519
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I got my lb bike wheels a few days ago. They are thinner wheels 28 spoke front 32 rear novatec ds711 hubs. Total weight 1457. Dont have tires or a fork yet so cant really mount them up. But cosmetically they look amazing. Build quality looks great. am going to try and go tubeless using gorilla tape and maxxis ikons. Will post how it goes later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20130208_134348.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20130208_134833.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    If you can't find that, I generally shoot for 20 on the Park guage on the "tight" side. I generally end up with the highest readings around 18-20 and the other side will generally end up around 10-16 depending on the offset, flange height , etc. The most likely problem with building too high tension is the flange breaking.
    If you are going to throw out Park tension gauge readings, please list the spoke gauge also. One is meaningless without the other.

This has been beaten on many times. 110-120kgf seems to be the favorite for these rims.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Good point. I generally use DT Revolutions and wasn't thinking.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

ballbuster
    Uh... any bike shop willing to build with parts they didn't sell? I know my favorite LBS (Endless Cycles in Castro Valley, CA) is more than willing to build you some wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Is anyone in the States building up custom wheels with the Chinese carbon rims? I don't want to deal with ordering, shipping and building them myself. Lazy, I know.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Spicer cycles Spicer Cycles-Track frames-Track Forks-Fixed Gear-Bike Parts-Frames-Bicycles. Evansville, IN 47714 (812)473-4104
    He can order all the parts, build the wheels and ship them to you.

www.derbyrims.com
    How many clicks or ratcheting stops, sometimes called points-of-engagement, does the rear Novatec D711/D712 hubs hub have during one freewheel revolution?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mackienz View Post
    I got my lb bike wheels a few days ago. They are thinner wheels 28 spoke front 32 rear novatec ds711 hubs. Total weight 1457. Dont have tires or a fork yet so cant really mount them up. But cosmetically they look amazing. Build quality looks great. am going to try and go tubeless using gorilla tape and maxxis ikons. Will post how it goes later

MattSavage
    I think he's looking for shops that have prebuilt wheels in stock. He doesn't seem to want to deal with having to acquire all the parts and get them built.

"Uh... any bike shop willing to build with parts they didn't sell? I know my favorite LBS (Endless Cycles in Castro Valley, CA) is more than willing to build you some wheels. "
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Dog View Post
    ...I just ordered the rims myself and had them shipped to Chad at Red Barn Bicycles to be built up.
    <--- This. Painless. Nancy at LB was more than happy to drop ship mine to Chad. Chad is super easy to work with and his rates are very reasonable. I received my wheels from Chad a couple weeks back and they are sweet. For more info pics, weights, details are approx. 5 pages back in this thread. (Post #3180)

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    <--- This. Painless. Nancy at LB was more than happy to drop ship mine to Chad. Chad is super easy to work with and his rates are very reasonable. I received my wheels from Chad a couple weeks back and they are sweet. For more info pics, weights, details are approx. 5 pages back in this thread. (Post #3180)

Link here: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So back on page 120 I asked about people running the NARROW rims TUBELESS.

I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in the wider rims, or the "benefits" of the wider rims. I give absolutely ZERO ****s about the wider rims. So Please, spare the "lectures" on the nature of wider rims and tires and resistance. I am exceedingly well-versed in the nature of those topics.

I am simply interested in whether or not anyone has anything notable to say about the reliability of the NARROW rims being run tubeless, preferably with Stan's tape or gorilla tape.

THANKS
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    How many clicks or ratcheting stops, sometimes called points-of-engagement, does the rear Novatec D711/D712 hubs hub have during one freewheel revolution?

Thanks!

24 according to this review.

Ride It, Fix It: Novatec MTB Hubs Review

Epic rider

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by rvmdmechanic View Post
    I am simply interested in whether or not anyone has anything notable to say about the reliability of the NARROW rims being run tubeless, preferably with Stan's tape or gorilla tape.
    THANKS
    Because you ask so nicely, these were my xc 29 LB rims. Perhaps they have been changed in the meantime..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-uploadfromtaptalk1360607816176.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-uploadfromtaptalk1360607833221.jpg  

12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just thought I would share my light bicycle wheel and Novatec hub issues for the next guy....
    I ordered the 29er wider 3K wheelset with the D711SB/D811SB hubs. If you want to convert the D711SB hubs for a 15mm RS maxle you need to remove the original axle (use the RS maxle instead) insert the Novatec crush sleeve between the bearings and add the correct Novatech 15mm end caps (correct may be tricky, I had to machine the ones I got).
    The guys at the local bike shop here all got matte finish rims this summer. Half of them delaminated. Warranty covered them all. Word is 3K is the best. Sorry for repeating info, but 133 pages is a lot to read.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    XC rim tubeless experience with panaracer cx tire

I ordered a set of the XC or "narrow" 29er rims to use for this cross season. After easily being able to inflate and seal a tubeless setup with 1 layer of gorilla tape and a floor pump on my AM 29er rims I tried the same with the XC rims, very loose fit. I then tried two layers of GT, still very loose. Deciding I was beginning to add too much weight I went down to the lbs and bought the plastic bonty rim strips, they were a little snug width wise but I pressed them under the hook tightly with a tire lever. With a compressor I was then able to get them to seal and run tubeless at 30psi on a 700x32 non-ust cx tire. They ended up working fine but were much more of a pain than the AM rims. The XC set I ordered in August I would not consider Tubeless ready at all. The center channel is much deeper than the flatter, more even profile of the AM version. The Bonty strips helped fill that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rvmdmechanic View Post

I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in the wider rims, or the "benefits" of the wider rims. I give absolutely ZERO ****s about the wider rims. So Please, spare the "lectures" on the nature of wider rims and tires and resistance. I am exceedingly well-versed in the nature of those topics.

THANKS

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Forgive me if I've missed this but can someone explain the 'New Process' I keep seeing references too? What was changed, issues addressed, benefits?

Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Interesting, thanks for posting the link.

Now if only they had done that high PSI testing prior to me blowing a rim apart, picking shrapnel from my leg, and cleaning stan's off of the ceiling.

But in all seriousness, that looks like well executed, iterative engineering. Well done Light Bicycle!

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by lobo7 View Post
    Forgive me if I've missed this but can someone explain the 'New Process' I keep seeing references too? What was changed, issues addressed, benefits?

Thx
    It's, "the customer-as-Q/C model is telling us something is wrong, so let's tweak some stuff and see if everything works out fine." Meanwhile money keeps rolling in...
    The new batch of customers/Q/C should be an improvement over the last round. That's the definition of "iterative," isn't it? Testing, shmesting, if the guy with shrapnel in his leg from the first round is impressed, we're rockin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The guy with shrapnel in his leg blew up his rim by putting over 70 psi in the tire.

transmitter~receiver

The guy with shrapnel in his leg blew up his rim by putting over 70 psi in the tire.
    You have a point, sir. Well played.

ballbuster
    Well, here's yer problem....

transmitter~receiver

Corrosion data point:
    6 months
    DT Swiss nipples
    Stan's sealant
    Bontrager strips sealed in with latex (remnant pealing off the bead in the photo)
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360640229.861752.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Corrosion data point:
    6 months
    DT Swiss nipples
    Stan's sealant
    Bontrager strips sealed in with latex (remnant pealing off the bead in the photo)
    Hard for me to tell from the photo alone - is the little bit of white early corrosion? The rest of the nipple and spoke look good. Are you posting/showing this as a warning that corrosion is starting or to show that it looks good?

If you are indeed seeing early worrisome corrosion, is there anything that can be done at the early stage to stop progression or will you be replacing the nipples?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Hard for me to tell from the photo alone - is the little bit of white early corrosion? The rest of the nipple and spoke look good. Are you posting/showing this as a warning that corrosion is starting or to show that it looks good?

If you are indeed seeing early worrisome corrosion, is there anything that can be done at the early stage to stop progression or will you be replacing the nipples?

Zero corrosion. I won't be doing anything but continuing to ride.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Zero corrosion. I won't be doing anything but continuing to ride.
    Awesome! :thumbup:
    Can't wait for spring to put the skis away and bring out the RIP with the carbons.