Page 131 of 163 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 141 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,550 of 8107
    mtbr member
    Oops my bad i didn't realise these were for tubular tyres.

Im after hookless - id love some derbys but they are a bit too much for me. Im after some deep 30mm rim ideally 35mm wide.

Has anyone seen an alternative from light bike / xmiplay? The deepest i can see is 25.5 which i may go with as i can get them both shipped for less than one derby.

Thanks for the pics btw Le Duke - They look nice.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Oops my bad i didn't realise these were for tubular tyres.

Im after hookless - id love some derbys but they are a bit too much for me. Im after some deep 30mm rim ideally 35mm wide.

Has anyone seen an alternative from light bike / xmiplay? The deepest i can see is 25.5 which i may go with as i can get them both shipped for less than one derby.
    I bought some ultra wide Chinese carbon rims with very similar specs to the Derbys: 40 mm hookless (30 mm deep) made by Nextie Bike. They are newer than Light-Bicycle but seem to have a good track record so far. 2 year warranty is a plus as well. About $210 each (rims only) including shipping. Whole build with DT Swiss 350 and Competition spokes was about $940 all told. Have only ridden them once, and in the mud, but they felt great. Photos.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much - they look like what I'm after.

Think ill order a set - Are yours a 29er build or 650b? how many spoke holes did you go with?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    650b, 32 hole. Would not recommend 28. 32 makes more sense for durability, compatibility, ease of truing.

Here is a long Nextie thread in the fat bike forum if you're interested. Haven't seen a regular mtb thread. Nextie-Bike carbon rims

mtbr member
    Another quick question - Wont be building these myself and a little unsure on what spoke hole diameter to go with out of the 3 options.

4.5 normal
    2.3 for internal nipple
    5.7 for atomlab torque nipple

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You want normal. Theoretically the smaller hole for internal nipples helps with carbon rim strength, but my understanding is they're more work to build and definitely more of a pain to true because you have to remove the tire every time you want to adjust the spoke tension.

Also, get the normal weight version--the lightweight version is not going to be as durable obviously--less material. The normal is plenty light.

If you have specific questions, e-mail Brian at the e-mail address listed on their contact page. He is very helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VQuick View Post
    You want normal. Theoretically the smaller hole for internal nipples helps with carbon rim strength, but my understanding is they're more work to build and definitely more of a pain to true because you have to remove the tire every time you want to adjust the spoke tension.

Also, get the normal weight version--the lightweight version is not going to be as durable obviously--less material. The normal is plenty light.

If you have specific questions, e-mail Brian at the e-mail address listed on their contact page. He is very helpful.
    Thanks very much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's some pics of a Bontrager 2.2 XR1 on 35/30 and Wide Lightning rims. They look normal not wide.
    And a 2.25 Nobby Nic on a 21mm inside dim ArchEx.
    In a couple years 'wide' rims will be looking skinny. Just need the right tire profiles.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-35.30-rim-xr1.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-cb35.30rimxr1.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-cb35.30-rim-xr1.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-widelightning-rim-xr1.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-archexrimnnic.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-archexrim-nnic.jpg

Merendon Junkie
    Carbon MTB Wheels | Do you need them? | Dirt

Interesting article and video. The chinese rims are featured.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Light bicycle warranty and Nipple corrosion

Light bicycle warranty Is one year on Rims.
    I have (2) wider 29er rims, 23mm inside, 30mm out side no serial # ,made by the old process that have cracks at the spoke holes.
    they are January 2013,
    I was told that they are out of warranty but could get $15 per rim discount.
    Has any body gotten replacement rims for free?

Spoke tension 140kg

Also have found excessive aluminum nipple corrosion in these rims????

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
    Light bicycle warranty Is one year on Rims.
    I have (2) wider 29er rims, 23mm inside, 30mm out side no serial # ,made by the old process that have cracks at the spoke holes.
    they are January 2013,
    I was told that they are out of warranty but could get $15 per rim discount.
    Has any body gotten replacement rims for free?

Spoke tension 140kg

Also have found excessive aluminum nipple corrosion in these rims????

Any thoughts?
    I'm getting brass nipples in all my wheels. Not worth the tiny weight saving to me to go with Aluminum. I have have a deep creek crossing on my daily ride.

They are out of warranty, why would you expect anything? Others have mentioned getting warranty replacements free, but those were still under warranty.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    My winter project is to convert all my wheels to brass nipples.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mine are built with Sapim Lasers from Dan's Comp. Brass nips come free. 125kgf is enough for me on my builds. The rim is stiff to begin with.

Merendon Junkie
    Just built up a pair of wheels using the chinese carbon. One is a 29 am 27 mm inner width and the other is a "dh" 26, 31mm rim. Rims looks very well finished and sturdy. The built wheels look nice and robust. Havent had a chance to try them out yet, its been raining non stop for the past 3 days over here.

Tires were very hard to mount on both rims, I struggled almost to the point of giving up out of sheer exhaustion. I think I got tennis elbow and carpal tunnel from that ordeal. Anybody have some tips to make mounting easier?

The 2.25 tire looks almost as fat as a 2.4 RaRa mounted on a stans arch ztr hoop.
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image.jpg

The 2.5 blue groove (wire bead) was a total biatch to mount.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The more tires you put on, the easier they get. The first tire I tried putting on myself was a rara 2.25 and man I must've spent an hour trying to work that bead over the rim. Now I can get almost any tire on wihin a few minutes. Grip strength maybe? I've been working out at the gym a lot lately doing heavy deadlifts trying to lift as heavy as I can double overhand. It does a lot for your grip strength.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You really have to make sure the first bead goes into the deep middle channel all the way. That way you have more play for the second bead which is always tougher. Also, why are you using wire bead tires? Personally I wouldn't on a mountain bike because I think it may not seal as well. Plus wire bead tires are usually heavier and use cheaper rubber compounds.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by VQuick View Post
    You really have to make sure the first bead goes into the deep middle channel all the way. That way you have more play for the second bead which is always tougher. Also, why are you using wire bead tires? Personally I wouldn't on a mountain bike because I think it may not seal as well. Plus wire bead tires are usually heavier and use cheaper rubber compounds.
    Thanks for the tip! I am using a wire bead tire on the bike I use to dh. Since I rarely ride Dh compared to xc, I chose to stick with tubes on that bike. The blue groove is a cheap, heavy, big, very grippy, super tough awesome tire.
    I made sure to have the bead sit on the middle groove, left the valve are last and even sprayed soapy water on the bead and seat but what ultimately worked was the knee "choke hold" technique. Not before having used all the swear words in the english and spanish dictionary.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I am using a wire bead tire on the bike I use to dh. Since I rarely ride Dh compared to xc, I chose to stick with tubes on that bike. The blue groove is a cheap, heavy, big, very grippy, super tough awesome tire.
    I made sure to have the bead sit on the middle groove, left the valve are last and even sprayed soapy water on the bead and seat but what ultimately worked was the knee "choke hold" technique. Not before having used all the swear words in the english and spanish dictionary.
    You will find that the bead will stretch over time and make the tire easier to get off. I went thru the same hard time getting a DH tire mounted on my 33mm wide rim and was really
    worried about getting a flat out on the trail. But to my pleasant surprise when I went to change tires, the DH tire came off pretty easy. I now have it mounted on a 38mm wide hookless rim and it was very easy.

The tip to mounting a hard to mount tire would be to mount it on a easier rim and pressurize it to 45psi let the bead stretch over night.
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Went for the Derby

After a lot of discussion with the guys at the LBS, I decided to go with the Derby's rather than the Light-bicycle's. Went with the Heavy Duty option, and 40 mm on the 27.5 Kona Process 134DL, and 35mm on the Kona Satori 29er. See picture below. Rims are set up tubeless with Chris King hubs. Due to the weather I haven't ridden either bike yet. The cost was about 50% more than Light-Bicycle would have been for their top package but that included the Chris King Hubs, new tires and complete set up by the LBS and a two year warranty and no shipping hassles/ taxes, etc.

Hopefully 40 mm is not tooooo wide..... We will see.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-new-wheels.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

More info wanted on your rims...

Just built up a pair of wheels using the chinese carbon. One is a 29 am 27 mm inner width and the other is a "dh" 26, 31mm rim.
    Hey Abel, can you specify where you purchased your rims? Maybe I have just missed some of the updates on new models, but I was not aware of Light Bicycle (LB) selling rims with those width dimensions. LB only does hookless in a 24/30mm (inner/outer) and 30/35mm (inner/outer) that I can recall.

Also, do you know the weight on your 27mm inner rim, and also what is the outer width?

I am curious because 27mm inner seems like it could be a sweet spot for people who want a wider rim, but aren't quite ready to go to 30mm+.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I love the look of those Derby's, my friend has them!! They are really nice, I wish I would have went wider like 35mm instead of the 30mm wide LB rims. My rims are the 30mm 29er hookless, weight was 400 and 403 g each.

mtbr member
    The Special Ed tires work brilliantly with these carbon rims. Haven't used wire bead in years. Worth the $$$

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKaiser View Post
    Hey Abel, can you specify where you purchased your rims? Maybe I have just missed some of the updates on new models, but I was not aware of Light Bicycle (LB) selling rims with those width dimensions. LB only does hookless in a 24/30mm (inner/outer) and 30/35mm (inner/outer) that I can recall.

Also, do you know the weight on your 27mm inner rim, and also what is the outer width?

I am curious because 27mm inner seems like it could be a sweet spot for people who want a wider rim, but aren't quite ready to go to 30mm+.

Thanks in advance!
    Hello Kaiser

I bought them from carbonbicycle.cc. I will post the measured width once I get home and the scale readings. The 29er is 392 gms and the 26 is 466 gms.

cheers

Merendon Junkie
    These are the measurements and weights of the carbonbicycle.cc rim I purchased. Did not have a micrometer at hand so I had to use a ruler, probably a large margin of error there.

I got confused with the widths. The 26 rim is 27 internally and the 29er is 24mm, according to the website. The ruler seems to show them slightly wider but I probably just measured them wrong. I wasnt carefull at all when I did that. The 29er sure looks like a 24 but the 26 would appear to measure 28 or 29mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    These are the measurements and weights of the carbonbicycle.cc rim I purchased...The 29er sure looks like a 24 but the 26 would appear to measure 28 or 29mm.
    Hey abel, thanks for going the extra mile and providing those measurements! I haven't kept up on the 26" offerings, but from the photos and measurements you provided the 29" sounds very similar to what Light Bicycle offers with their 24mm Inner 30mm Outer rim, it might even be the same.

The only thing that seems slightly off is that from your photo the 24mm Inner rim looks like it might be, like, 29mm Outer, but that could just be the perspective or manufacturer variance, etc...

The LB 24/30 rim (assuming it actually measures out that way) seems kind of cool to me as it has 3mm sidewall thickness vs the 2.5mm thickness of most of the others out there, so if that is what you got, then keep us posted on how they handle any direct rock hits. I expect they will do well!

Merendon Junkie
    According to the carbonbicycle web page, its 30mm outer, but it would seem about 1mm thinner on the ruler, but the could be off. They also say that they source the rims from "common suppliers" with light bicycle and other seller. This was a response they made to someone asking if they were the same as lightbicycle.

"Support :
    Hi, Eberhard,
    Thank you for your contact.
    Yes, you can place an order via our website like other customers.
    In this region in China, there are many carbon bike companies (such as Carbon-Bicycle, Greatkey-Bike, Nextie-Bike.......) that sell the same carbon bike products, because we have many common suppliers (factories) around here.
    Leadtime of the rims in actuel period : 8-9 jours, you have to wait another 5 days for the Express transport from China to Germany.
    We'll declare about 140 USD for these two rims if it's OK for you. Of course, many customers decided the invoice amount by their own.
    Tks,
    CB"

I have a couple of rides in with the CB rim. I have only built up a front wheel for the XC and the DH bike. No rides on the DH bike yet. So far I am impressed. I can definitely feel a difference. I tried riding through the roughest sections, corner hard and get as much air as I could (which was not that much BTW) just to test the wheel. I could feel the bike has a "snappier" character to it and it felt like it was tracking the corners better but what was even more noticeable was the improved vibration damping that the carbon rim offered.

cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    "Support :
    Hi, Eberhard,
    We'll declare about 140 USD for these two rims if it's OK for you. Of course, many customers decided the invoice amount by their own.
    Tks,
    CB"
    Sorry everyone else, totally OT rant follows:

While checking the carbonbycicle.cc website I was already wondering who that German Eberhard guy was that so openly asked them to fake the invoice amount and help him smuggle the rims past German customs. The fact that you even post that on the forums here seems to show that you have absolutely no sense of wrong-doing. Nice way to support you country!

Merendon Junkie
    I am not that Guy. I only copy/pasted the discusion on the website. I have no idea who that german dude is. If you were more careful with your reading, you would know.
    Last edited by abelfonseca; 11-24-2014 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am not that Guy. I only copy/pasted the discusion on the website. I have no idea who that german dude is. If you were more careful with your reading, you would know.
    You are correct abelfonseca, please accept my apology.

Merendon Junkie
    No hard feelings.

mtbr member

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Anyone out there running the 29er tubulars?? I'm thinking of a set for my cx bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I got some Nextie hookless 35 wide 28 deep rims delivered today and I'm pretty impressed they look nice and good quality.

Im going to have a go at building these myself and possibly send to my LBS to be checked over before their first ride.

Ive already got some PRO 2 evos in my spares box I'm going to use. With regards spokes I'm unsure on what to go with?

Im a lightweight rider but want them strong enough to take some abuse but then again not over built.

Can anyone advise on what spokes to go with and I'm thinking brass nipples?

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Ive already got some PRO 2 evos in my spares box I'm going to use. With regards spokes I'm unsure on what to go with?

Im a lightweight rider but want them strong enough to take some abuse but then again not over built.

Double butted spokes would be a great place to start. It's interesting to note, however, that Jared Graves often uses aerolite spokes.

What is the weight of the rider?

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Double butted spokes would be a great place to start. It's interesting to note, however, that Jared Graves often uses aerolite spokes.

What is the weight of the rider?

Sent using Tapatalk
    I'm 73KG

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

I would recommend DT Swiss Aerolites for your weight.

Sent using Tapatalk

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Revolutions offer the same performance as Aerolites at a fraction of the cost.
    The appearance of bladed spokes, if you like that, is the only reason to use them on a mountain bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Ok thankyou - Ill probably go with those to save a bit of money

Im a complete novice to all of this - Can anyone help with regards spoke length please?

My hubs are hope pro 2 EVO's 32H

Rim profile is:

Thanks again

Merendon Junkie

mtbr member
    I got an email off Brian today at Nextie he told me for pro 2 evo hubs laced 3x I need 284mm both sides.

Can anyone confirm before I order?

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/u...AND-PCD-v2.pdf

PRO 2 EVO hubs 32H - 15mm front / 142x12 rear

Many thanks
    Last edited by J273; 11-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I got an email off Brian today at Nextie he told me for pro 2 evo hubs laced 3x I need 284mm both sides.

Can anyone confirm before I order?
    You may want to spend a few pounds to get this excellent eBook on wheel building before ordering spokes:
    Wheelbuilding book for building bicycle wheels

After reading this book, you will likely have no need for anyone to confirm the spoke length for your rims. Also search this thread for the lively discussions on spoke length calculators including the one by prowheelbuilder.com.

I followed the steps in Roger Musson's ebook to build my first wheelset this past summer (also using the same Hope Pro 2 evo hubs with LB 27.5 35mm rims). Plan to build my 2nd set using LB's 38/31.6mm 29er rims during the Christmas holidays.

LB is starting to make 38mm outer 29er rims in a few weeks. Here is the profile for anyone interested:

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-29er-38mm-wide.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks very much. I bought the book and used his guides and spoke calculator to get my spoke lengths. Only problem I have is I'm going to be using DT comp spokes which come in 2mm increments.

My spoke calc results gave me:

LEFT 3X - 285.2
    RIGHT 3X 286.7

Am i ok to use 286mm left and 288 right or would i be better to round down on the left and go with 284 and use 286 right?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For the 35mm rim I get the following using spocalc:
    front: L286.6 / R288.1
    rear: L287.8 / R286.9

Based on that I'd go 286 and 288, 3x pattern and use 12mm or 14mm brass nipples. I know this works as that's what I built up last night on some hope pro 2 evo hubs. If you round down you may want to use 14mm nipples.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I would use 286 all around. Usually saves money. Since many spokes only come in 2mm increments, you can be within 1 mm of calculated.

mtbr member
    Yeah i think 286 would be best.

My other wheel is

Left 3X 284.7
    Right 3X 286.2

What would you recommend for that?

Thanks

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I would use285 all around since I generally round down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    I would use285 all around since I generally round down.

They're only available in 284 and 286.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    284. If one size otherwise 284,286.

mtbr member
    Ok, Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im not sure to go with the 27/22 or 30/24mm rims for my rigid HT. I prefer the 2.2 Ikons and the 2.1 RR and Thunder Burt tires. Weight is not an issue just curious how my rather narrow tires wil handle the 30/24 rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Go wider, the tires will love the wider rim. Especially on rigid HT, more traction and comfort. Once you wide you never go back!!