Page 130 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,500 of 8107
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rocwandrer View Post
    Yup! I just made it up because I don't know what I'm talking about!!!! Not need to read any further in this crap I write. Or perhaps i didn't make it up and I've worked as a composites process engineer in one of the county's foremost composites research labs, but, like most engineers, "don't English real well"?

Sorry I didn't see the question sooner, or make my comment more easy to understand in the first place.

Fiberglass filaments are collected in what is traditionally called roving. Carbon fiber filaments are collected into what are traditionally called tows. So the bundles of filaments in the weave or braid used to make the rims are made up of tows.

Here is the first google result I found with what i assume is a validating explanation of tows and roving:

Fibermax Composites - TOW / YARN NOMENCLATURE AND CODING SYSTEMS

Since carbon composite is an anisotropic material (in part the reason things made with it can be so light and still function properly, the strength and stiffness can be concentrated in the correct orientation, rather than being evenly distributed in all directions in isotropic materials like metals), the alignment of the tows is extremely important. If the orientation is off, more material is needed to provide the same strength and stiffness. Alternately, if the orientation is off, and the amount of material used was calculated presuming proper alignment, the part will fail in service. If these were super heavy, they would probably be fine, but then what would be the point of using carbon. I expect, like most things out of China the quality is variable, and some of these will be fine, and others will not. Thermosetting carbon composites exhibit a brittle failure mode (that's like glass, rather than like metal). Not a good failure more for bicycle rims, in my opinion. Does that help clear things up?

Oh, and to the person who thought i was talking about automotive wheel alignment, that's toe, not tow.
    Found it, and I stand corrected. The poster could have explained a bit better to avoid the confusion though. How many of us are that intimate with the manufacture of composites? Wonderful detail in his reply though, and some very interesting info there.

Girani2486

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member

Anyone tried the deep U-shaped rims from light-bicycle? I need a new set of rims for century+ gravel racing with 35mm tires and am wondering if with a tire that wide will I lose all benefit of the deep aero rim and am I better off just getting a standard shape light carbon rim that is ~100g lighter each rim? The 45mm deep U-shaped rims are about 450g, but if I get the standard carbon layup it'll be around 350g which is kind of a lot of rotational weight out there. Which would be faster over the course of a long day in the saddle on rolling hill terrain with lots of flats in between? How much help is a deep aero rim if you're throwing on a 35mm wide tire? Normally for road bikes I feel aero wins over weight, but not so sure anymore with wider cross type tires

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    racing with 35mm tires and am wondering if with a tire that wide will I lose all benefit of the deep aero rim
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik83 View Post
    Thought I saw someone posting the actual weight a couple of days ago, but can't seem to find it now. I don't remember if he had Novatech or Hope, but my mind tells me he wrote 1780gr with one layer of Stans Yellow.

What is the actual weight for a pair of 35/30 with Hope 15/135, 12/142 & Pillar spokes and alu. nipples? Due to Swedish taxes the Fattie SL's aren't that much more expensive, can't decide wich way to go..
    The DT 350 hubs with star ratchets in the rear used in the Fattie SLs are enough to sway me when the price is close even not considering the better warranty history Spec offers.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    @yzedf -- Sounds like your Mustangs weren't built correctly, as is typical. Take them to a good shop, and have them up the spoke tension properly. Not the lightest rims, but I've seen those ridden hard, and stay true.

Unfortunately, bike stuff is rarely "one and done", but a well-built set of wheels should stay true for a good while, and I think this is even more true for carbon rims (which don't bend... but will crack if bashed). Considering your weight, if you keep your psi around 30, you should be okay. Really though, if you're looking for something to not worry about, a heavy-duty set of alu wheels is most reliable: WTB i25 or I9 Enduro (or Stan's Flows, if you like Stan).
    Second that. Mustangs are good stiff light strong rims... at least the Disc Brake ones. I had some disc brake ones on my 26er, and they were pretty dang bulletproof. I built up some rim brake ones for my 29er with high sidewalls, and I had to run really high pressure in the tires to keep form pinch flatting the tire/tube, so that didn't work out so well. I moved that wheelset to my dirt touring bike where I run higher pressure anyway.

Girani2486

Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member

I'd go with the lb rims and the 240 hubs. Lb rims are fine an the 240 hubs are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik83 View Post
    Right now my mind is going in the same direction. Due to Swedish customs and taxes the LB 35/30's with Hope are about $1275.
    Rims from LB, but buying my own DT 240s hubs (from Germany) and let someone build them for me are roughly the same price. This could be an option..

The Fatties are $1950 @ the LBS but have some advantages I do like,
    1. They're not "cheap chinese stuff" with zero bling factor. Enve stickers make it worse!
    2. Warranty and specially the crash replacement program could be nice since I intend do actually use the wheels.
    3. They would look awesome on my 29" Stumpy Carbon EVO :-)
    4. Weight. Not my main reason for going carbon but less weight is good!

But another $700 over building with 240s? I could damage a whole lot of LB rims for that kind of cash.. Is the Fatties worth it? The reviews I find almost convince me from not building with 240s..
    I would find $700 too much of a difference for me. Add more savings from doing the build myself because it is actually easy- the stiffness of the carbon rim is simplifying. Carbonbicycle.cc has the rims I use for an additional savings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fun123 View Post
    the carbon rims seems good ,and what is the quality?
    seek and you will find. The best way to search MTBR is via google. Type the following into a search engine, and goodness will happen...

site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim can you tell that I'm shilling?
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim just drumming up business
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim I want some free advertising
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim my sales targets are SO high
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim I should remove the web address of my business before I post

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    seek and you will find. The best way to search MTBR is via google. Type the following into a search engine, and goodness will happen...

site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim can you tell that I'm shilling?
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim just drumming up business
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim I want some free advertising
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim my sales targets are SO high
    site:forums.mtbr.com chinese carbon rim I should remove the web address of my business before I post

based on his signature, he is probably a shill
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    probably? Did you read the search terms I entered? I'd bet my left nut that he's shill.

mtbr member
    Hi SS, did you read the search terms I entered?

I'd bet my left nut that he's shill. He's got a lot to learn

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Hi SS, did you read the search terms I entered?

I'd bet my left nut that he's shill. He's got a lot to learn
    ha, i actually missed the fine text. good one
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm looking into either buy a new 30mm hookless wheelset from either carbonbicycle, light-bicycle or xmiplay. Xmiplay has DT swiss hubs to similiar price to hope hubs on LB and carbonbicycle but has another profile on rim according to drawings, looks Like a nice lightweight set. Seems like most people buying from LB at least in this thread.

Any pros/cons on this set??

2014 high-end DSS IP-HR930C carbon 29er hookless wheels with DT Swiss 240S hubs for XC/AM use-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would go with the 35/30mm rims in that wheel build. Ask if they can make it with the IP-HR935C rims.
    IP-HR935C 35mm width hookless carbon MTB 29er rims, carbon mtb 29er tubeless rims-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

I am using that rim and DT hubs with a lot of performance benefits and wouldn't choose the 30mm rim.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I haven't decided rim width yet since I'm mostly ride xc with 1.95-2.25 tires, but are curious about quality of wheel set built from iplay and also if this particular rim-model they are selling "IP-HR" 27,30,35 can compete with LB rims. Somebody mentioned thinner profile (2mm) don't know if this has any impact on riding or other cons ?

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I would go with the 35/30mm rims in that wheel build. Ask if they can make it with the IP-HR935C rims.
    IP-HR935C 35mm width hookless carbon MTB 29er rims, carbon mtb 29er tubeless rims-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

I am using that rim and DT hubs with a lot of performance benefits and wouldn't choose the 30mm rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by n1x0n View Post
    I haven't decided rim width yet since I'm mostly ride xc with 1.95-2.25 tires, but are curious about quality of wheel set built from iplay and also if this particular rim-model they are selling "IP-HR" 27,30,35 can compete with LB rims. Somebody mentioned thinner profile (2mm) don't know if this has any impact on riding or other cons ?
    I built my CB rims with Dt hubs and use light Bontrager XR1 Team 2.2 tires. Still fast rolling but more volume. The sidewall support from the width cuts down a lot on washouts. I get more climbing traction because I can use a lower psi. They are now high volume tires which adds comfort from the compliance. Everything is better.
    The rim is stiff so it is easy to build with. That will make getting a quality wheelset likely.
    The CB rim seems to have a .5mm lower hookless lip than the IP.
    Last edited by eb1888; 10-31-2014 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My rims are Iplay 30mm hookless IP-HR930C, used more than 5 months, still strong and fast. Peter said their newer 27mm rims can do as well as 30mm rims, strong enough for XC .
    This guy has same wheels like mine: Barn Burner 2014 - Leadville Race Series - Flagstaff, AZ

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @Bikrider Thanks for input :-) I might go with either 30mm or 27mm, leaning against 30mm. I'm an 200lb rider equipped, does this rim has any weight limit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikrider View Post
    My rims are Iplay 30mm hookless IP-HR930C, used more than 5 months, still strong and fast. Peter said their newer 27mm rims can do as well as 30mm rims, strong enough for XC .
    This guy has same wheels like mine: Barn Burner 2014 - Leadville Race Series - Flagstaff, AZ

mtbr member
    May 2014

@Bikrider Thanks for input :-) I might go with either 30mm or 27mm, leaning against 30mm. I'm an 200lb rider equipped, does this rim has any weight limit ?
    Any interest in these 29" carbon wheels? I'm 240# and had zero issues with them. I swapped wheels to run a 15mm thru axle setup so i just have these hanging in my shop. Like new.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1414860423.299111.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a review on Pinkbike about wide rims. In this case it would be the 35/30mm rims offered by several sources.
    265 lb limit.
    Ask Pinkbike: Rim Width, Angle Headsets, and Carbon Cranks - Pinkbike

"I'm tempted to tell you that a wider rim is always better, but it isn't quite that simple as tire consideration needs to come into play when you get into these new mega-wide rims like Ibis' carbon 741 (35mm internal) or Specialized's carbon Fattie SL (30mm internal) and aluminum Fattie (29mm internal). How so? If you take a tire with a square profile, such as Maxxis' High Roller, and put it on an extremely wide rim, it will exaggerate that square profile to the point where it won't work as intended. That said, your DHFs have a rounder profile to them than the High Roller so they'll will work well with whatever wide rim you decide to go with, and I was quite happy with that exact setup when I tested the Ibis 741 wheelset back in June. Have these wide rims gone too far? Having spent time on them, I don't believe so. I'm confident that we'll see more and more wide rims on the market within the next year or two, simply because the benefits can't be ignored. More traction, better reliability through less burping and more tire support, and some riders can even get away with a lighter, less aggressive tire due to how a wide rim can add a few millimeters of width to the rubber. "

So think seriously about spending your money on skinny rims.
    They could be hanging up in your garage in a year.... or sooner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

ERD on the Light Bicycles 30mm hookless 29er rims?

I am going to buy spokes for these rims and will like to know what ERD to put into my (DT Swiss) spoke calculator. Last time I built wheels on LB rims (30 mm with hooks) I used an ERD of 603 mm without measuring them. I do not remember where I got that number from. This time I have measured myself and I got an ERD of almost 606 mm! It is hard to believe that they are 3 mm larger. Have anyone else measured these rims? What ERD are you wheel builders using?

The Light Bicycle homepage they says the ERD is 600 mm! They must use a non-standard definition.
    Last edited by ErikGBL; 11-02-2014 at 03:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yes, Peter told me 130kg on 30mm rims

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGBL View Post
    I am going to buy spokes for these rims and will like to know what ERD to put into my (DT Swiss) spoke calculator. Last time I built wheels on LB rims (30 mm with hooks) I used an ERD of 603 mm without measuring them. I do not remember where I got that number from. This time I have measured myself and I got an ERD of almost 606 mm! It is hard to believe that they are 3 mm larger. Have anyone else measured these rims? What ERD are you wheel builders using?

The Light Bicycle homepage they says the ERD is 600 mm! They must use a non-standard definition.
    Its been discussed repeatedly.. it doesnt matter where youre buying your rims.. always measure yourself and dont rely on manufacturer's (or distributors) stated "measurements"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Its been discussed repeatedly.. it doesnt matter where youre buying your rims.. always measure yourself and dont rely on manufacturer's (or distributors) stated "measurements"
    Read his post again...he has measured them. He's looking for confirmation from anyone else that it is 606mm.

Formerly of Kent

Eb1888: Can you post pictures of your 35/30s with the 29-1s on them?

Maybe a measurement, too?

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

Wanderer
    Anyone use the the Light Bicycles 27 mm rim (bead hook-less rims carbon 29er light bike rim tubeless compatible Light-Bicycle) with Maxxis Ignitor and Crossmarks tubeless? They would be the non-UST tires, I just want to make sure there are no known problems before I purchase and build them up.

Anything special in the build up? I've never messed with carbon rims before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cage View Post
    Read his post again...he has measured them. He's looking for confirmation from anyone else that it is 606mm.
    right, and as was discussed... you may buy two rims from the same manufacturer, and get two different ERD measurements.... asking someone else to measure their rims is useless

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    Anyone use the the Light Bicycles 27 mm rim (bead hook-less rims carbon 29er light bike rim tubeless compatible Light-Bicycle) with Maxxis Ignitor and Crossmarks tubeless? They would be the non-UST tires, I just want to make sure there are no known problems before I purchase and build them up.

Anything special in the build up? I've never messed with carbon rims before.
    Can't comment on the specific tires but you may want to ask the question about those set up ghetto tubeless outside the carbon thread. AL rims would expose the same issues, if any. Nothing special in this regard for carbon.

Regarding special build procedures, can't think of any. I've built two sets. The added stiffness allows for some high spoke tensions and it is VERY easy to attain proper dish and balance. But yeah, if you build with care, these rims require no more special attention than any other build. Not that I can think of at least.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

right, and as was discussed... you may buy two rims from the same manufacturer, and get two different ERD measurements.... asking someone else to measure their rims is useless
    Bingo. I don't even trust manufacturers quoted ERD. Let alone some guy on the Internet. I'll measure my own thank you very much.

Girani2486

Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

how wide of tubeless ready rims do i want ?

for a 29er
    cross country , carbon rim , disc brake based hub , race wheel set..

.. i am 150 lbs

Formerly of Kent
    DT Revolutions or AeroLites will build the strongest wheel.

Alternately, Sapim Lazer or CX-Ray.

At the very least, get a double butted spoke.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like the Sapim CX-Ray with Lilly nipples, no better nipples on the market. Hard to get!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Lilly nipples? tell me more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Only available through custom wheel builders, CNC machined with 7075. The ano is done right. Lilly's Precision Products. Not much info about them!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There have been plenty of pics showing galvanic corrosion of aluminum nipples used in carbon builds.
    I used brass with a small weight penalty instead of relying on anodizing.
    These rims are easier to tension and true because of the stiffness. I think they make a good first build component when compared to an aluminum rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i am unsure why half of my post above is missing. ^

i will retry to ask my question again.

how wide of a clincher tubeless ready rim do i want to use ?

for a 29er
    cross country , carbon rim , disc brake based hub , race wheel set..

.. i am 150 lbs[/QUOTE]

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    These rims are easier to tension and true because of the stiffness. .
    So true. I'm never building a wheel with an aluminum rim again.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    So true. I'm never building a wheel with an aluminum rim again.
    I don't think I'd go THAT far. Now, if you'd said AL nipples I'd totally agree. Brass is a much smarter choice.

mtbr member
    May 2013

So my wheel came in, looks sweet, key word wheel. This whole time I was under the impression they were sold as a pair. Now I have one rim just sitting there. Not sure what to do. It would of. Een cheaper buying a complete set but I won't be able to use my sweet center lock rotors

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So I thought about it and will keep the wheel. Will get a second wheel later when I will be riding the bike more. Which side should I put the carbon wheel on? I already bought the hubs and rotors (all center lock) so might as well have one built for the time being.

Which side do you guys think would benefit the most with a carbon rim, the front or rear?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Front.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The increased steering precision is most noticeable on the front.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Does anyone run these carbon rims from xmiplay

IP-RM930T carbon fiber 30mm width MTB 29er rims, carbon mtb 29er tubular rims -Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

These interest me being 30mm deep its just a shame they are only 30 wide as these in a 35 wide would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post

IP-RM930T carbon fiber 30mm width MTB 29er rims, carbon mtb 29er tubular rims -Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

These interest me being 30mm deep its just a shame they are only 30 wide as these in a 35 wide would be perfect.
    Derbys meet your requirement.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

Never seen any wider rim for tubolar tires...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Derbys meet your requirement.
    Derbys are not for tubolar.

Lazy Overachiever

Not much point in making a tubular wider than 30mm, that I can see.

Formerly of Kent

I have them. Built up to DT 240s, 32h 3x with CX Rays.

They are fantastic. Any wider than 30mm and you'd compromise the ability of the tubular tire. That is, the ability to run low pressure without constant rim hits. If you went wider, the rim would follow the tire UP the tire, and you'd get more rim strikes.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!