Page 13 of 267 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast
    Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Jan. 28th

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    I have a tracking #!!!
    When did you order? I ordered feb 1st but no tracking no yet :-(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Jan. 28th
    Cool, there is hope then ;-). Also hoping UD being weakest translates into being lightest, but that might be wishful thinking

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    Cool, there is hope then ;-). Also hoping UD being weakest translates into being lightest, but that might be wishful thinking
    I sincerely don't think there's anything to worry about on that front. The finish is basically just aesthetic. To say there's "no" difference between them wouldn't be accurate, but I think "negligible" would probably be a word to slide in there somehow. Like, "the strength differences between the 3 outlooks is negligible. It's all UD under the hood - the top layer is applied for aesthetic purposes only".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehschkott View Post
    I sincerely don't think there's anything to worry about on that front. The finish is basically just aesthetic. To say there's "no" difference between them wouldn't be accurate, but I think "negligible" would probably be a word to slide in there somehow. Like, "the strength differences between the 3 outlooks is negligible. It's all UD under the hood - the top layer is applied for aesthetic purposes only".
    That's exactly how I thought it to be after reading quite a bit about carbon wheels. Then again, I agree at best/worst is a marginal difference but still surprising to them making that kind of statement. My Tallboy is AD as well, and it has been great, so I'm not worrying :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I want to order these, but I want to see some pics of the UD matte finish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehschkott View Post
    Yep, I agree.

I ordered on Jan 29 and Nancy said she would be sending a tracking number today. A little bit longer than the original 7 days for manufacture quote, but no worries.

I had asked to keep the rim bed unfinished and Nancy kept to that promise to the affect that it ended up costing an extra day. They sprayed the matte finish on the rim bed and she had them sand it off, lol. I told her not to worry about it, but it was too late. Communication on Nancy's part has been excellent.

mtbr member
    ktm520, Why did you keep the rim beed unfinished? I thought I read elsewhere in the post, that finishing the bead was preferred?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    That's exactly how I thought it to be after reading quite a bit about carbon wheels. Then again, I agree at best/worst is a marginal difference but still surprising to them making that kind of statement. My Tallboy is AD as well, and it has been great, so I'm not worrying :-D
    You have to realize that she is regurgitating what the engineers tell her and then there is the language barrier. I took that as a very, very weak statement. A lot of the name brand carbon rim makers use a UD finish, Reynolds and Enve to name a few.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    ktm520, Why did you keep the rim beed unfinished? I thought I read elsewhere in the post, that finishing the bead was preferred?
    Well, what I specifically told her was that I did not want extra clear coat on the rim bed as some folks had been asking for and that their standard process would suffice. I don't have the rims yet, so I don't know exactly what they did. Other than weight, it wouldn't make a difference either way.

Someone posted that tubelss sealant will degrade the carbon/epoxy matrix, but there is no truth to this. Another case of forum misinformation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My rims should be here early next week. Got the hubs and spokes ready for my guy at the LBS to lace up.
    Will post up weights/pics when rims arrive and after wheels are built.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    You have to realize that she is regurgitating what the engineers tell her and then there is the language barrier. I took that as a very, very weak statement. A lot of the name brand carbon rim makers use a UD finish, Reynolds and Enve to name a few.
    I find the companies that DO NOT use UD are harder to find. Every bar, stem, seat post and frame coming through seems to be UD.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Guess what came today!

WOW, my rims shipped out Monday and arrived today!
    I got the wider 29er 3K matte, weights: 382/385
    Cosmetically they look perfect.
    Getting them laced up this week to AC hubs and Supercomps.
    Will post final weight when built
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very very nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I second that. The more I have been following this thread the more these rims looks like something I NEED for my bike. It has gone far beyond wanting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    wow, my rims shipped out monday and arrived today!
    I got the wider 29er 3k matte, weights: 382/385
    cosmetically they look perfect.
    Getting them laced up this week to ac hubs and supercomps.
    Will post final weight when built
    badass

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=bquinn;8994992]WOW, my rims shipped out Monday and arrived today!
    QUOTE]

That beats the 400g from their website. Let us know what the ERD is when you get them measured. Someone said its 603.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    you guys are killing me. i had to do it

just got off the ole IM chat with Nancy...

$155 per rim now, they are backed up a week with all the orders. $60 for shipping to the US.

these rims look, and are almost the same exact spec, as my carbon Roval rims. I'll be able to tell for sure when i get them. she wouldn't admit to making rims for Specilzd, but they do make frames for them she said. Hmmmm.. we'll see!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Mine should be here today/tomorrow. I'll weigh them and post pics before I ship them off to have them built up

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    [QUOTE=red5jedi;8996443]
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    WOW, my rims shipped out Monday and arrived today!
    QUOTE]

That beats the 400g from their website. Let us know what the ERD is when you get them measured. Someone said its 603.
    Hello Jonathan,

The ERD is 603mm, and the max spoke tension is 180kfg.

We only make frames for specialized, but no rims.

Thanks,
    nancy

Last edited by DFYFZX; 02-13-2012 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DFYFZX;8998890][QUOTE=red5jedi;8996443]

see previous post for the correct information

/QUOTE]

Earlier in the thread indyfab mentioned he had measure 603, but all in all close enough. Mine should be shipped today so another week of waiting. The weight difference I've read in the thread is quite big, from 380 grams to 420, let's hope I'm in the light batch
    Last edited by figo; 02-13-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I just corrected my post. I double checked my email from Nancy and posted it in it's entirety for you guys

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Weight sounds very, very low, even lower than Enve's. Would love to hear how they compare to more standard aluminum rims in terms of rigidity.
    Straw poll- how confident do you all feel that these rims are solid equipment meant to last?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller View Post
    Weight sounds very, very low, even lower than Enve's. Would love to hear how they compare to more standard aluminum rims in terms of rigidity.
    Straw poll- how confident do you all feel that these rims are solid equipment meant to last?
    Time will tell. At this price as long as I get a solid couple years I'll be happy.
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold

Bro Mountainbiker
    Their stiffness is what I want to know. If they are stiff, they would be a worthy upgrade from the crests on my race wheels.

Flexy and I'm not interested. But I feel like these would be way stiffer than an aluminum rim of similar weight.

Any first hand experience?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Page 13 of 267 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast