Page 13 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    What width of the external and internal for 26 inch rim available?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Since my local trails aren't rideable I took the bike for a road spin the other day and went off numerous 3ft drops (off steps) and down a flight of ~25 stairs. So far so good on the rims. They feel so stiff and light as can be climbing!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer View Post
    What width of the external and internal for 26 inch rim available?
    Just ask Nancy!
    mat g

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Has anyone asked Nancy Yu out yet?

mtbr member
    yes I did and after I pop the question she said, 26 inch RIM specs are external 24.20mm, internal 17.80mm and height 22mm, and also all sold out on which she broke my heart ;(

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I'm going out on a date with her tomorrow night.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer View Post
    yes I did and after I pop the question she said, 26 inch RIM specs are external 24.20mm, internal 17.80mm and height 22mm, and also all sold out on which she broke my heart ;(
    That's awfully narrow... The AM model seems more appealling all of a sudden.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Total weight on my buildup was 1482 for the wider rims with dt 240 hubs 15mm without qr's, tape or valves. About 100 grams lighter than my xtr crest build and hopefully will last a little longer

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    Total weight on my buildup was 1482 for the wider rims with dt 240 hubs 15mm without qr's, tape or valves. About 100 grams lighter than my xtr crest build and hopefully will last a little longer
    how much does it cost?

mtbr member

I am not far from the Xiamen Fatory

Hi Everybody!
    I haven't had the chance to read through this entire thread but I LIVE NEAR THE XIAMEN BIKE FACTORY!
    I don't know if this helps you guys, and gals, in anyway. I would be happy to go down there and look or ask questions and take pics if there is anything specific you would like to see. I might even pick up some rims for myself!
    For reference I am an American and do not work for the factory, but would be interested in taking a looky-loo so might as well go armed with a camera and questions.
    WARNING!
    Many people on here are much more bike-pro than I, so please make your questions or pictures you want to see as specific as possible.
    Cheers....
    Also, my Elixir 5s are always squeaky, pistons never move correctly, and I hate them. Feels good to get that off my chest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Gentleman View Post
    how much does it cost?
    Really not hard to price the parts yourself. 240s hubs aren't cheap so probably around $500 for the hubs. Not sure what spokes he used but 2.0/1.8 DB are $1 per spoke or $3.25 per spoke for Cx-ray.

Looks like his build is right around $950?

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglesthemonkey View Post
    Hi Everybody!
    I haven't had the chance to read through this entire thread but I LIVE NEAR THE XIAMEN BIKE FACTORY!
    I don't know if this helps you guys, and gals, in anyway. I would be happy to go down there and look or ask questions and take pics if there is anything specific you would like to see. I might even pick up some rims for myself!
    For reference I am an American and do not work for the factory, but would be interested in taking a looky-loo so might as well go armed with a camera and questions.
    WARNING!
    Many people on here are much more bike-pro than I, so please make your questions or pictures you want to see as specific as possible.
    Cheers....
    Also, my Elixir 5s are always squeaky, pistons never move correctly, and I hate them. Feels good to get that off my chest.
    Nice! I would love to see pictures of their factory.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Really not hard to price the parts yourself. 240s hubs aren't cheap so probably around $500 for the hubs. Not sure what spokes he used but 2.0/1.8 DB are $1 per spoke or $3.25 per spoke for Cx-ray.
    Looks like his build is right around $950?
    maybe they can buy 240s cheaper than we are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the hubs off of a previous build. But prices new would be a little under 1K. The spokes are CXRays which I got from treefort for $2.50 each on a pricematch. I had a bag of DT Prolock nips laying around but you can pick up nipples dirt cheep on ebay a lot of times, especially if you don't care about color. Overall I am pretty happy with the wheels, at least how they initially look and feel. Haven't gotten a chance to ride them yet but that should change soon.

mtbr member
    I finally got Ikon EXO's mounted on my AM rims early this week. I used 25mm yellow tape and Stans valve stems. Tires beaded instantly with the first shot of compressed air and stayed beaded once pressure was released. As usual, tires had been sitting folded inside-out. I always mount the tires dry and then inject sealant through the valve stem after they have successfully beaded. No surprises here, bead sealed right up. Though, the bead seat isn't as tight as a Stans rim, but that has already been established.

Got in a ride on my rigid ss with the air pressure set the same as I would run on my P35 rims (18F/26R, 165lb). Again, no surprises, everything worked as expected, no noticeable tire squirm. I even hit a log pile harder than I should have and it more than likely collapsed the tire. No spooge or marks on the rim.

These rims are 200g lighter than a P35, so reduced rotating mass was noticeable, but I can't honestly say that I could "feel" any difference in stiffness.

mtbr member

Step one

Finally got my hubs. Rims are in the mail. Wheel build should be ~1320g.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-hubs.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi View Post
    Nice! My hyperlefty is on the mail, what spokes will you be using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    Nice! My hyperlefty is on the mail, what spokes will you be using?
    Gonna wait to measure the ERD then order some CX-Ray's. My hubs got stuck in customs for over 10 days so it was almost three weeks from ordering to getting delivered. Are you going to be using the HypeRear also?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    She certainly is a looker!

mtbr member
    Gonna wait to measure the ERD then order some CX-Ray's. My hubs got stuck in customs for over 10 days so it was almost three weeks from ordering to getting delivered. Are you going to be using the HypeRear also?
    Not for the first set, planning to lace up my powertap. Might go for the hypercamber in a while if I want to shave off some weight

mtbr member
    Nice hubs! Those things are ridiculously light. I don't even want to know the pricetag. To bad they have very little effect on wheel inertia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    To bad they have very little effect on wheel inertia.
    true, but those grams still count when you're climbing a mountain.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    If I go visit the factory I might have to pick up a set of rims! Why the wider ones over the regular?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugglesthemonkey View Post
    If I go visit the factory I might have to pick up a set of rims! Why the wider ones over the regular?
    Wider ones yield a beer tire profile so you get more traction, and a supple ride.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    ..and because wider rims are more awesomerer than narrow ones!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just checking....does anyone have complaints about these rims? Im about to order the 29er rims.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscantell View Post
    Just checking....does anyone have complaints about these rims? Im about to order the 29er rims.
    so far I have no complaints.

my rims are due to arrive 03-18-12

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    To bad they have very little effect on wheel inertia.
    wheel inertia is of very little, if any, importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    wheel inertia... rotational mass... whatever you want to call it. i think he's getting at the fact that acceleration is affected more by taking 100 grams off the rim than by taking it off the hub.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    As much as I believe it makes sense to keep things light, it makes sense to keep it in perspective. Saving a few grams at the rim and then slapping a 600 grams tire even further from the center makes a few grams weight saving insignificant..

For me, it's first function and then weight. Planning on an Hyperlefty/CX-ray build with these rims to come up with a strong and light weight set, which I'm assuming will ride better than other wheels in it's price and weight class.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    wheel inertia... rotational mass... whatever you want to call it. i think he's getting at the fact that acceleration is affected more by taking 100 grams off the rim than by taking it off the hub.
    While there might be a theoretical basis for that commonly tossed around bit of dynamics, what I said stands... little if any difference.

transmitter~receiver
    As much as I believe it makes sense to keep things light, it makes sense to keep it in perspective. Saving a few grams at the rim and then slapping a 600 grams tire even further from the center makes a few grams weight saving insignificant..

For me, it's first function and then weight. Planning on an Hyperlefty/CX-ray build with these rims to come up with a strong and light weight set, which I'm assuming will ride better than other wheels in it's price and weight class.
    If function first then why spend 3x the money on bladed spokes that offer you no performance benefit over their round counterparts in the same weight class (Lasers)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If function first then why spend 3x the money on bladed spokes that offer you no performance benefit over their round counterparts in the same weight class (Lasers)?
    Short answer, because I can ;-). Longer answer is that I have good experiences with CX-rays, haven't used the lasers but I understood their fatigue life is shorter than the CX-rays. I build and repair my own wheels but like to spend as little time doing the wrenching as possible, so any broken spoke due to fatigue is expensive time for me, so the few euros extra on a build is marginal compared to the hours I spend on building/maintaining the wheels.

mtbr member
    While there might be a theoretical basis for that commonly tossed around bit of dynamics, what I said stands... little if any difference.
    not "might be" there "is" basis. but this is a different thread, i imagine it's here already....
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    wheel inertia is of very little, if any, importance.
    Sorry, would you have been happier if I had said "mass moment"?? I'm missing your point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In case of a crash, it will crack or broke VS bends for alloy rim. If you don't like rigid ride, those carbon rims are way stiffer than standard alloy rim. The interior bead seat are not as round as the exterior of the rim but compare to Roval, there's no difference. Roval have the same unround interior. For the asking price of about 200$ per rim, similar to worldcup xc champion rim in apperence, wider, light, rigid, not about to complain!
    mat g

mtbr member
    I can't wait to see if that is really her. I am a little suspicious of those company pictures. They might be stock photos from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy View Post
    She certainly is a looker!

mtbr member

because they are more "aero"
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Saving a few grams at the rim and then slapping a 600 grams tire even further from the center makes a few grams weight saving insignificant..
    This has been debated to death, but for me.. I will try to reduce any weight that I can without compromising durability (if I can prevent it). My first target is rotational mass working furthest out to center of rotation. So first is tires can’t go too light due to lots of sharp rocks here in Southwest (maybe I’m a crappy rider). The Maxxis Ignitor EXO’s work best for me.. Then rims, the stiffer the better for me (185lbs)… Then down the list spokes, pedals, shoes, hubs, chain, chain rings/cassette. My Tallboy is down to 23.9lbs and that bike is flying. The lighter it gets, the more WW I become…

I got the Hyper Hubs because DT hubs are expensive anyways and thought, what the hell 2/3 the price of the Hypers. I also like the straight pull spokes used on the Hyper Hubs. Also this wheel build is still going to be cheaper than the Roval wheelset even with a %20 discount.
    This past weekend I changed out my rear cassette to the XG999 from my XT which is about 125g lighter, and yes it does matter, at least for me.

mtbr member
    This has been debated to death, but for me.. I will try to reduce any weight that I can without compromising durability (if I can prevent it). My first target is rotational mass working furthest out to center of rotation. So first is tires can’t go too light due to lots of sharp rocks here in Southwest (maybe I’m a crappy rider). The Maxxis Ignitor EXO’s work best for me.. Then rims, the stiffer the better for me (185lbs)… Then down the list spokes, pedals, shoes, hubs, chain, chain rings/cassette. My Tallboy is down to 23.9lbs and that bike is flying. The lighter it gets, the more WW I become…

I got the Hyper Hubs because DT hubs are expensive anyways and thought, what the hell 2/3 the price of the Hypers. I also like the straight pull spokes used on the Hyper Hubs. Also this wheel build is still going to be cheaper than the Roval wheelset even with a %20 discount.
    This past weekend I changed out my rear cassette to the XG999 from my XT which is about 125g lighter, and yes it does matter, at least for me.
    Fully agree, just to be clear, I commented on the hub weight savings part. Seems I'll have most of the same build as you have so can't disagree too much on your choices

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just got a RM Element 950 with dt swiss 485d rims and a wheel tech hubs(exactly the same as novatecs hubs) I am looking for anyone who could tell me if buying the stock light-bicycle wheels would be of a significant weight savings vs the stock RM wheels.
    does 485d mean 485 grams for DT Swiss or is it a product number? Since the hubs would be the same on both models the only differences would be in the rims, spokes and nipples. Is it worth the 5 -6 hundred to buy the light-bicycle wheelset or not? I do not have a 1k as a budget.
    Any help out there?
    P.S I do not have scales to do my own measurements.
    Thanks

bike tester
    for rims it should represent weight, not accounting for production tolerances, but for complete wheelsts it's just a number, it is sometime helpful for establishing weight but it depends on a case by case basis, usually you add ~10%

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeShopMonkey View Post
    because they are more "aero"
    Barely. Also, you spending a lot of time going 30mph on your MTB?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyto View Post
    I just got a RM Element 950 with dt swiss 485d rims and a wheel tech hubs(exactly the same as novatecs hubs) I am looking for anyone who could tell me if buying the stock light-bicycle wheels would be of a significant weight savings vs the stock RM wheels.
    does 485d mean 485 grams for DT Swiss or is it a product number? Since the hubs would be the same on both models the only differences would be in the rims, spokes and nipples. Is it worth the 5 -6 hundred to buy the light-bicycle wheelset or not? I do not have a 1k as a budget.
    Any help out there?
    P.S I do not have scales to do my own measurements.
    Thanks
    The light bicycles wheelset will end up around $600 after shipping/taxes. I say buy the new wheelset, sell yours, and hopefully you end up only $300 out of pocket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes plus or minus 10

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    600 gram 29er tires are considered heavy??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    600 gram 29er tires are considered heavy??
    not light, anyway. download the mf spreadsheet from his sig.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wowsers! Off topic these days?
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just bought 2 AM Matte, 12k rims. Not is a hurry to get them built up but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just bought some, as well. It seems that Nancy replies to emails 24 hrs a day. Impressive. Also, the charge for decals for two rims is $51. Something to keep in mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just bought some, as well. It seems that Nancy replies to emails 24 hrs a day. Impressive. Also, the charge for decals for two rims is $51. Something to keep in mind.
    Maybe Nancy is not a girl, and she's not alone!

I'm going to receive mine this week, after a build, I will test lateral stiffness side by side some 32h, 24h and i9 on arch, all rear wheel.
    mat g