Page 129 of 266 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 139 179 229 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 6644
    trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    I'll probably get neg. Rep for asking this, but can people please stop arguing on this forum?!
    if you want to argue with each other than just pm each other. All these arguments take up so much needless space on this forum (which is long enough already). Nobody wants to hear you bickering amongst yourselves.
    I'm not taking sides on whether he should have asked or not but please stop wasting space on this forum. If you are getting upset at the guy for asking a question and wasting space, then stop arguing and wasting space.
    my carbon footprint has cleats

ballbuster

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Like I said, there is not a problem with telling someone to do a search, the response was "it's been discussed".

Keep talking down to people. It fits you well.

Again, you've proved how much smarter than me, hope putting me down makes you feel better. I'm simply trying to help the person.

Again, sorry to interrupt all of you vast knowledge.

Reeely?

transmitter~receiver
    Like I said, there is not a problem with telling someone to do a search, the response was "it's been discussed".
    Actually, he said "Read back a few pages. It's been discussed. "

Keep talking down to people. It fits you well.

Again, you've proved how much smarter than me, hope putting me down makes you feel better. I'm simply trying to help the person.

Again, sorry to interrupt all of you vast knowledge.
    That's an awful lot of butt hurt for someone who injected himself into the discussion by criticizing someone. Nobody killed your kitten. It's going to be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am now a victim of the dreaded galvanic corrosion on my LB rims. (Sorry, i don't mean to start anymore in depth discussions on this..)

I was prepping my wheels for an upcoming bike vacation and when I grabbed my front wheel by a couple of spokes, one snapped at the nipple. I checked the rest of them and two more broke.

So, since i am not ready to give on these rims yet, any thoughts on if I put some super glue/epoxy/nail polish on the spoke holes to potentially minimize this happening again?
    Or should I just get them built with brass and call it a day?

Thoughts anyone?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    Thoughts anyone?
    Pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am now a victim of the dreaded galvanic corrosion on my LB rims. (Sorry, i don't mean to start anymore in depth discussions on this..)

Thoughts anyone?
    Pictures.

Who built them.

What was used to prep the nipples and spokes.

Carbon & Ti rule

I was prepping my wheels for an upcoming bike vacation and when I grabbed my front wheel by a couple of spokes, one snapped at the nipple. I checked the rest of them and two more broke.

So, since i am not ready to give on these rims yet, any thoughts on if I put some super glue/epoxy/nail polish on the spoke holes to potentially minimize this happening again?
    Or should I just get them built with brass and call it a day?

Thoughts anyone?
    How old is your wheel build ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here ya go. Adroit, I had them built from one of the LBS here, supposedly by their veteran builder. Don't know of the prep he did.

When I pulled the tape off, there was some moisture in there and I assume that the white grains on some of the backs of the nipples is corrosion?

They have been in my garage the last four months, hanging in the rafters and it has been a very snowy and slushy winter so far here, resulting in my garage being very humid at times. Dunno if htat is a contributing factor or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-039-1024x768-.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-041-1024x768-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    How old is your wheel build ?
    Had it built last July. Stopped riding on them in Oct once the snow started and they have about 700km on them.

My gloves stink
    Holy crap! Just when I had stopped losing sleep over galvanic corrosion!
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Had it built last July. Stopped riding on them in Oct once the snow started and they have about 700km on them.
    Wow. That sucks. I am glad it didn't happen ten miles from the car...

I would consider rebuilding with brass.

Where do you live?

beer is good

silver alloy?

I noticed the nipple failures seems to happen with silver alloy, which are not anodized
    All the big guys like Easton, Reynolds, DTSwiss, and Specialized, etc. all use anodized
    alum. alloy on their carbon wheels and don't seem to have these issues...
    Also I think the spoke on that broken nipple is too short...may have been a factor.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

ballbuster

Uh....

Quote Originally Posted by Nels View Post
    I noticed the nipple failures seems to happen with silver alloy, which are not anodized
    All the big guys like Easton, Reynolds, DTSwiss, and Specialized, etc. all use anodized
    alum. alloy on their carbon wheels and don't seem to have these issues...
    Also I think the spoke on that broken nipple is too short...may have been a factor.
    Silver alloy is still anodized. It just doesn't have any dye in the tank when they anodize it.

beer is good
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Silver alloy is still anodized. It just doesn't have any dye in the tank when they anodize it.
    I just had to check that out...have some silver DT and WS nips, seems you are half correct, the WS nipple is anodized, while the DT are not. You can tell by trying to polish them with some Mothers or other alum. polish.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just had to check that out...have some silver DT and WS nips, seems you are half correct, the WS nipple is anodized, while the DT are not. You can tell by trying to polish them with some Mothers or other alum. polish.
    Rep for hard evidence - looks like the failed nipples were not anodized which is definitely not a good choice.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Now you guys can quit beating me up for suggesting this could be a problem. Anodized should help a lot, but I still think that down the road as the anodizing wears off this will be a problem. The ENVE rims have molded spoke holes so the carbon is covered up.
    Since I didn't really consider this problem until the question was asked on this forum, I took no precautions with my first 2 sets I built. With this last set, I dipped a chopstik in a can of the copper colored never seize and poked it through each spoke hole before I built the wheels. In a couple of years I will be able to tell you if this helped.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Wow. That sucks. I am glad it didn't happen ten miles from the car...

I would consider rebuilding with brass.

Where do you live?
    I live in Calgary, Alberta.

Yes, I am glad i found it now. I am heading down to Phoenix for a week of riding and would hate to have that front wheel break on me down htere. Could have ended up with a mouth full of Cholla cactus.

I will get the wheel rebuilt with brass nipples, anodized at the very least.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Now you guys can quit beating me up for suggesting this could be a problem. Anodized should help a lot, but I still think that down the road as the anodizing wears off this will be a problem. The ENVE rims have molded spoke holes so the carbon is covered up.
    Since I didn't really consider this problem until the question was asked on this forum, I took no precautions with my first 2 sets I built. With this last set, I dipped a chopstik in a can of the copper colored never seize and poked it through each spoke hole before I built the wheels. In a couple of years I will be able to tell you if this helped.
    lol... you didn't suggest it could be a problem... there was an ongoing conversation about it and you jumped in trying to sound like an expert after 10 minutes of google searching.
    the galvanic corrosion issue is far from settled, but maybe you can click over to the other thread and offer your expert opinion to the guy with disintegrating nipples in his ENVE rim, you know, since you've got all this stuff figured out.

the hilarity rolls on...

mtbr member
    Nels,
    Anodizing is a thin layer of aluminum oxide on the surface of any aluminum exposed to air...or more precisely oxygen. Bare aluminium will anodize itself just by sitting in air, over time. So, your DTs are anodized, if not by caustic soda, then by air. BUT, I'm pretty sure they are ano'd by caustic soda, just w/o color.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

When I pulled the tape off, there was some moisture in there
    What kind of tape did you use ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The pics look like it may be an issue w/ the spoke/nipple interface. I am no expert. It looks like a similar failure I've had on an alloy rim. I had some aluminum nipples fail on an aluminum road rim. I don't know if any spoke prep or lube was used in my build. To repeat....I am no expert, just a previous experience I had that may or may not be helpful in this discussion. Andy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Nels,
    Anodizing is a thin layer of aluminum oxide on the surface of any aluminum exposed to air...or more precisely oxygen. Bare aluminium will anodize itself just by sitting in air, over time. So, your DTs are anodized, if not by caustic soda, then by air. BUT, I'm pretty sure they are ano'd by caustic soda, just w/o color.
    That doesn't sound right. Bare aluminum develops a thin oxide film, but anodizing makes a much thicker protective layer. You seem to be suggesting that letting bare aluminum sit in air will achieve the same effect. That is definitely not correct.

I'm very surprised if that's true that silver DT nipples are not anodized.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quick Summary of the nipple debate:

Facts about aluminum nipples:
    Roughly 40g per wheel set lighter than brass
    Different color options
    Higher corrosion values than brass
    Free with the purchase of DT Swiss spokes

Facts about brass nipples:
    Tom Boonen uses them in Paris Roubaix

Proposed test:
    Build a set of wheels with alternating nipples between brass and aluminum
    Ride the wheels in wet conditions, dry conditions, etc
    Disassemble and take close up photos and other cool engineer tests
    Post results on MTBR

I bet DT Swiss has already performed the above tests and came to the following conclusions:
    We can sell more spokes, hubs and rims if we use aluminum nipples
    Lets give away aluminum nipples

mtbr member
    Here ya go. Adroit, I had them built from one of the LBS here, supposedly by their veteran builder. Don't know of the prep he did.

When I pulled the tape off, there was some moisture in there and I assume that the white grains on some of the backs of the nipples is corrosion?

They have been in my garage the last four months, hanging in the rafters and it has been a very snowy and slushy winter so far here, resulting in my garage being very humid at times. Dunno if htat is a contributing factor or not?
    Before we get too excited, I wouldn't neccessarily chalk this one up soley to corrosion. Its hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the spoke was a few mm's short which puts the nipple purely in tension. Ideally (from what I've read ), the spoke should protrude past the plane where it seats in rim so that it's loaded in both compression and tension. Looks like a tensile failure to me. Whether or not corrision was a contributing factor is debateable. Also very well possible that you got a couple of bad nipples.

Meltingfeather, call me out if I'm wrong here.