Page 128 of 266 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 138 178 228 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 6647
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    So he's supposed to sift through the 3100 comments? Why not just help him out with an answer? If its been discussed, and you know the answer, or the page where it was discussed, why not help out? I would be interested in hearing as well, but I also got flamed the last time I asked a simple question here, just because I didn't read 3100 comments. What is the problem with being helpful around here?
    Yea do some reading, that's why it's here.
    Otherwise every other day the same 3 questions get asked and the thread becomes useless because its the same crap rehashed over and over.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Yea do some reading, that's why it's here.
    Otherwise every other day the same 3 questions get asked and the thread becomes useless because its the same crap rehashed over and over.
    Same crap? Who cares? What else needs to be talked about in a thread about Chinese Carbon Rims? I'd think that the quality of the hubs these rims come with should be a continued part of this conversation. How does that make the thread useless? I'd say there are tons of pages of useless crap being discussed here besides the quality of the hubs.

A forum is for asking questions, that's also why it's here.

I'll add, I get it.. I'm a part of a number of forums. One in particular, there is a thread with 600+ pages. I've been there for a long time, so I've pretty much read every page, because it has been of interest to me from the beginning. Yes, a noob walks in, sees this thread, because it's something he's interested in as well. He doesn't have the time to read 600+ pages, or sift through the garbage that is posted there. He asks a question, I roll my eyes because I've seen the same question 100's of times.. but I'm polite, and either PM the guy with the answer, recal a page it might be on, or simply do what goodmojo just did, briefly summarize the jist of what has been discussed. It's not that hard to be helpful, even if it's a little annoying to someone who has been around for a long time.

I guess we could talk about nipple corrosion some more though..
    Last edited by five5; 01-24-2013 at 07:14 AM.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    It took me weeks to read the entire thread but I still try to help a new guy out.
    My answer is that the hubs are just below mid level based on weight, durability, upgradability, price, etc. and I would build my own wheels with something else.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

Always Learning
    So he's supposed to sift through the 3100 comments? Why not just help him out with an answer? If its been discussed, and you know the answer, or the page where it was discussed, why not help out? I would be interested in hearing as well, but I also got flamed the last time I asked a simple question here, just because I didn't read 3100 comments. What is the problem with being helpful around here?
    Nothing wrong with being helpful - that's for sure. Unless somebody has some specific posts bookmarked that are pertinent to the question - it is going to require anyone to do a bit of searching for the forum member who asked the most recent question about the hubs.

The point others are raising is that there seems to be no shortage of information available on the interweb for reviews of Novatec hubs. And we do have "The Google".... I can type in Novatec hubs in Google and immediately get all kinds of hits, information, reviews and opinions. Took me a few seconds - that's all. Digging through this thread would take me, or anyone else - a lot more than a few seconds.

I've read all 3100+ comments on this thread, but wouldn't know where to look outside of reading the thread to get a summary, but I wouldn't treat it as legitimate enough as the Light-Bicycle 29"er pre-built wheels may not have enough field testing, time, distance, duration out on the dirt to come to conclusive evidence to form an opinion from this thread alone. Yet, my memory seems to recall from all the posts on the hubs that there are plenty of better hub options available and ordering the 29"er rims by themselves, and having a quality wheel build done at your LBS - or on your own - seems to be a better golden ticket.

I would like to think that somebody doing their research for buying a product certainly owes it to themselves to make the time commitment by investing in doing some searching, reading and opinion forming (outside of asking others) before making a decision with their $$$.

Nothing is free or easy in life, so the bottom line is the poster who asked about the hubs needs to spend some time digging.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Mine arrived today and look sweet! Had Wider 3K Mattes drop shipped to Chad @ Red Barn. I shipped him an old set of 240S hubs to build up with DT Revolutions. Will be converting the hubs to 15mm front and 142 rear for a Ibis Ripley once it finally gets released. In the interim, will probably test them out on the Tallboy.
    Weights below are without any rim tape or valves. Will be using the Bontrager strips & valves which the set I have came out to 86g for the strips and 18g for the valves--> 104g total
    So complete weight = 1626g (1522g wheels + 104g strips & valves)

BTW - this is the first time I have worked with Chad at Red Barn and he was great to work with. My old wheelbuilders (Larry @ Mtn High and before that Mike @ Odds&Endos) are no longer around, so I have been looking for someone new. Reasonable prices, great reputation, and a genuinely nice guy
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My gloves stink

Novatec hubs

Quote Originally Posted by winkplay View Post
    I am thinking of getting a complete built wheelset from LB. Can anyone comment on the build quality and novatec hubs quality?
    Thanks!
    I have no experience with them but here's a write-up: Ride It, Fix It: Novatec MTB Hubs Review

The trouble is that although the US Novatec website shows a 15mm TA option for their lightweight model, the D711, LB says they're not yet available. I've emailed various Novatec distributors 3 times asking when the convertible D711 will be available but have received no replies. I've also called the US distributor but all I ever get is some guy's voicemail. I've asked Brian at LB to notify me as soon as they are available. I won't need the wheels for a few months yet so I'm willing to wait.

D711SB (FH) - Novatec
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

ballbuster

Actually, I didn't...

..."know" the answer. I only sorta loosely got the gist of what other folks have been saying about it. I try not to engage in 'I heard this form somebody else on the interwebz' kinda conversations, because that's how bad information becomes even worse. The poster in question would be getting my regurgitated impression of what other folks have said here, and since I have never owned a set, don't really care to own a set (or, maybe I'll try them out someday... who knows? Not really on my radar at this time..), or even known anybody personally who owned a set... or never even saw one myself in the flesh, I would just be handing out more bad info.

Yeah, Google is your friend... mostly. You can easily find the posts in this thread by searching for Novatec. It ain't that hard. The machines do all the work for you.

transmitter~receiver
    Same crap? Who cares? What else needs to be talked about in a thread about Chinese Carbon Rims? I'd think that the quality of the hubs these rims come with should be a continued part of this conversation. How does that make the thread useless? I'd say there are tons of pages of useless crap being discussed here besides the quality of the hubs.

A forum is for asking questions, that's also why it's here.

I'll add, I get it.. I'm a part of a number of forums. One in particular, there is a thread with 600+ pages. I've been there for a long time, so I've pretty much read every page, because it has been of interest to me from the beginning. Yes, a noob walks in, sees this thread, because it's something he's interested in as well. He doesn't have the time to read 600+ pages, or sift through the garbage that is posted there. He asks a question, I roll my eyes because I've seen the same question 100's of times.. but I'm polite, and either PM the guy with the answer, recal a page it might be on, or simply do what goodmojo just did, briefly summarize the jist of what has been discussed. It's not that hard to be helpful, even if it's a little annoying to someone who has been around for a long time.

I guess we could talk about nipple corrosion some more though..
    what's wrong with suggesting a search? even maybe how to do it? like THIS
    it benefits the community. you roll your eyes, then make that person all the more likely to do the same thing again by answering and/or doing the work for them?
    this thread wouldn't be a fraction of as cumbersome as it is (and I personally would have been saved clicking and deleting hundreds of notification e-mails) if people did some searching . you don't have to read every post to find stuff... just learn some basic search skills.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Dead horse.
    Last edited by five5; 01-27-2013 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    I'll just converse with Google, ...blah blah blah

Later
    So you are going to search then?
    Good boy for not being a slacker and asking for things to be handed to you on a platter. Just about everyone who contributes here did their own legwork...just sayin'

Edit: hey wetpaint...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pau11y; 01-26-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Wow... IMHO, those are really gash! I'll stick with plain non-decaled, thankyouverymuch.
    You hurt my feelwing!

Actually, I was thinking the verbiage should be along the same lines as, "Enve," of advertising "I have carbon rims"... Something along the lines of, "Plastic Fantastic!" What do you think?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    pau11y- if you read the comments in the 650b rim technology post the lb sent out, you'll see that you don't need to wait until summer to get 29er rims w/ the new process. Nancy says:"the rims shipped after Chinese New vacation ( Feb4th to Feb17th) will be with new process. You can start to order these days, but the shipping will be after Chinese New Year vacation. You can make a note on the order that you like rims with new process.''
    new rims made even better!!
    my carbon footprint has cleats

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So you are going to search then?
    Good boy for not being a slacker and asking for things to be handed to you on a platter. Just about everyone who contributes here did their own legwork...just sayin'
    I don't get it

Are we not meant to help people out as much as we can ??

If you know the answer why not just answer the question ?

We are in the same sport & I for 1 like to help out were I can, Saying do the leg work yourself isn't what a forum is about IMO.

It's about chatting with others that have already done the leg work & can offer you an over view.

Just say'n

No need to respond to this post, I will just search for the responce I''m happy with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xc biker View Post
    pau11y- if you read the comments in the 650b rim technology post the lb sent out, you'll see that you don't need to wait until summer to get 29er rims w/ the new process. Nancy says:"the rims shipped after Chinese New vacation ( Feb4th to Feb17th) will be with new process. You can start to order these days, but the shipping will be after Chinese New Year vacation. You can make a note on the order that you like rims with new process.''
    new rims made even better!!
    This is correct. I ordered a pair of wider 29er rims the other day and then the next day, this new process was announced. I e-mailed Brian and asked that my order be delayed so they could be made with this new process. He promptly e-mailed back and said that wouldn't be a problem. He says that they will not ship until after Feb 20th when they ramp up production of the 29er rims with the new process.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Love the sinister look of your bike! I'm thinking of building one very similar (albeit geared for the CO terrain). Did you build your own wheels? If so, any tips on using the light bicycle carbon rims? (Also, how are they holding up?) Thanks for any help you can provide in the gray world of chinese carbon...

ballbuster

Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I don't get it

Are we not meant to help people out as much as we can ??

If you know the answer why not just answer the question ?

We are in the same sport & I for 1 like to help out were I can, Saying do the leg work yourself isn't what a forum is about IMO.

It's about chatting with others that have already done the leg work & can offer you an over view.

Just say'n

No need to respond to this post, I will just search for the responce I''m happy with.
    That's an awful large amount lot of outrage, eh?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    You hurt my feelwing!

Actually, I was thinking the verbiage should be along the same lines as, "Enve," of advertising "I have carbon rims"... Something along the lines of, "Plastic Fantastic!" What do you think?
    Bonus points for making that in a logo with Mandarin letters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Bonus points for making that in a logo with Mandarin letters.
    And get rid of the red! Black on black or white!

mtbr member
    Hopefully the new logos are removable. No thanks.

ballbuster

I could be wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Hopefully the new logos are removable. No thanks.
    .. but I think they are optional.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by adroit rider View Post
    and get rid of the red! Black on black or white!
    + 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks to those who are kind enough to help. I am actually more concerned about the quality of the build? Seen some posts that says tension is uneven but would like to know if they improved recently. Also, how is the quality of the spokes lb use? Never heard of them and Google could not help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by winkplay View Post
    Thanks to those who are kind enough to help. I am actually more concerned about the quality of the build? Seen some posts that says tension is uneven but would like to know if they improved recently. Also, how is the quality of the spokes lb use? Never heard of them and Google could not help.
    As with any machine or factory build you should check the tension upon receipt and make adjustments. Your LBS may charge $20-40 to do this.

There are many reasons why people prefer local builder or DIY. From this thread, it has been made clear that aluminum nipples need a lubricant to prolong lifetime and you don't know what LB uses for nipple prep.

The flip side is value. $666 for a carbon hoop wheel set is unbelievable and the worst case scenario may be a rebuild with new spokes and nipples in a couple years.

transmitter~receiver
    The initial response wasn't "Suggesting a search", the response was "It's been discussed". Which isn't helpful at all, and.. I wasn't even the one asking, only interested in the answer... so I don't need to "Learn to search", I'm just not understanding why people can't be helpful, and answer a question. Maybe this is the first step to their research? Simple direction might be all they need.

I'll be sure not to ask another question here. It seems way to bothersome to be polite, and help someone with a question, for many here. All good.

I'll just converse with Google, seems that there's no reason to actually talk, ask, or have conversations with real people.. just do a search, do a search, do a search, it's all on Google, don't ask questions... they'll spread like cancer.. Got it.

Good luck protecting this pristine doctrine. (Which all the info can be found in Google, or it's just opinions that don't count from what everyone is telling me).

I won't bother you guys anymore.. sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Later

lol
    first, i guess you missed the "read back a few pages."
    second, you weren't even the guy who asked the question that has been discussed at length over and over and over. you're just the guy who got upset about a contributing forum member pointing out that discussion of novatec hubs is plentiful and available to you easier than asking (the same effort put into a forum search would have yielded much more useful information than asking a question that has been asked 1,000 times). click this link to see how many threads have been started asking about novatec hubs.

this forum is about sharing information and helping people. i spend most of my time here offering information and answering questions (helping people). that doesn't mean it's wrong to suggest someone look at the VAST archives of useful information before asking a question for the hundredth time.

i search before posting a question. i know it's a crazy concept, but what you'll find is that most questions (e.g., does anyone like trek bikes?!?) have been answered already and in the time it takes you to post the question you can have your answer many times over.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post

lol
    first, i guess you missed the "read back a few pages."
    second, you weren't even the guy who asked the question that has been discussed at length over and over and over. you're just the guy who got upset about a contributing forum member pointing out that discussion of novatec hubs is plentiful and available to you easier than asking (the same effort put into a forum search would have yielded much more useful information than asking a question that has been asked 1,000 times). click this link to see how many threads have been started asking about novatec hubs.

this forum is about sharing information and helping people. i spend most of my time here offering information and answering questions (helping people). that doesn't mean it's wrong to suggest someone look at the VAST archives of useful information before asking a question for the hundredth time.

i search before posting a question. i know it's a crazy concept, but what you'll find is that most questions (e.g., does anyone like trek bikes?!?) have been answered already and in the time it takes you to post the question you can have your answer many times over.
    Like I said, there is not a problem with telling someone to do a search, the response was "it's been discussed".

Keep talking down to people. It fits you well.

Again, you've proved how much smarter than me, hope putting me down makes you feel better. I'm simply trying to help the person.

Again, sorry to interrupt all of you vast knowledge.