Page 119 of 266 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 129 169 219 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 6647
    4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The Rovals are apparently hand built according the the Spec website. My bad. Straight pull spokes provide less bracing angle and are not as stiff laterally which is the stiffness that I am referring to and that I want to maximize. All else being equal, wider rims would be stiffer and rims with a bead hook would be stiffer since that extra material at the end would stiffen the bead area up compared to no bead seat. The claim that they gain the stiffness back by having lateral fibers doesn't make a lot of sense to me since you could also use lateral fibers in a beadhook rim and the layup is up to the engineer with carbon wheels so anyone could use any layup they wanted. Sounds like marketing.

The fact that they have no bead hook would be a deal killer for sure for me. I have blown a tire completely off a Stan's rim (which would flex a lot more, but still) and it will only take about one lawsuite and that idea will be over forever. Also, since the industry standard is for a beadhook the tire manufacturer will be able to put the entire blame on Specialized for any failure. The LB rims with the Trek rim strip hold the tires so tight that it is hard to break them off with zero air pressure. The fact that a couple of Spec engineers road rims around with no beadhook and didn't break anything gives me little reassurance and they probably only used their tires. The 25 psi lower limit would also be a deal breaker since on my 4 bikes my front pressures are 19, 20, 23, 23 and the rears are 23, 24, 27, 26. so only 2 of my 8 positions could even consider these rims.

The warranty is only as good as Specialized makes it: Roval Carbon Wheel Problems - Topic
    And you are totally at their mercy with regards to the interpretation of said warranty. While this guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, what he did is something that a rim engineer should consider that some of their customers might do with a wheel. The fact that blowing tires off is a known problem and that the rim gave up way before the tire also gives me pause. The fact that it was Georgia and not the Alps or the Pyrenees or the Rockies also makes me think the Spec should replace this guys wheel.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    So does having Specialized seats on a Salsa, a Santa Cruz and a Pivot make them all jake. Do the Roval wheels on the Santa Cruz balance out the jakeness or make it double jake?

That's all nonsense.
    G
    There is definitely a high level of personal preference involved with matching components. I would never put Audi rims on a GTI and for sure would never have my stem and seat post different brands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    You are right. I followed the instructions to a T on my first set and overlapped the valve hole.

Either that, or we are nuts.
    That is definitely what used to be on the notubes site. The main thing is to overlap it a few inches in one place or another so it will be secure...makes no difference where.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi guys
    Does the wider Nancy 29" rim make the tire wider once mounted to the rim?
    I do not have a lot of clearance at the chainstays of my Scott Scale 29'er and am wondering if a wider rim will reduce the clearance even further?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    There is definitely a high level of personal preference involved with matching components. I would never put Audi rims on a GTI and for sure would never have my stem and seat post different brands.
    Ok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Deleted
    Last edited by erikrc10; 01-02-2013 at 12:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark10 View Post
    Hi guys
    Does the wider Nancy 29" rim make the tire wider once mounted to the rim?
    I do not have a lot of clearance at the chainstays of my Scott Scale 29'er and am wondering if a wider rim will reduce the clearance even further?
    Yes it will.

Always Learning
    Thank goodness my "Jake" has the same brand stem and post.

JET profile 2012

Rovals, a Salsa handlebar, SRAM shifters and rear derailleur mixed with a DuraAce FD, a RaceFace crankset with Rotor Q Rings, and my gosh - a Bontrager bottle cage, a WTB saddle and heaven forbid - tires from Schwalbe!!! And uh oh.....my fork is a RockShox and the rear suspension is Fox.

If you think Jake is a major faux pas, you out to see Jake Junior....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bike looks good, but your house is missing a piece of siding to the right of the door and your door jamb is starting to rot. smile

My gloves stink

Jake off

Dude, I can't believe you'd have your downspout empty onto your hardscape. That is SO jake!
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    Bike looks good, but your house is missing a piece of siding to the right of the door and your door jamb is starting to rot. smile
    Yup.

The little piece of fake "siding" was never there to begin with when the house was built. The rot is actually just paint peeling that is on the "to do list" for this summer. It was painted too quickly in high humidity conditions after we got hit by this SOB in July of 2010.

Indianola Tornado 7/23/2010

In the high humidity, it didn't cure properly. I don't think anything dried out that summer it was so wet. It will need some good attention this summer for sure.

Edit: I just went outside to shovel some snow and chop some ice. It's rot alright. The entire paint is now cracked all around the frame from the sub zero temperatures.

Summer project coming up....

Downspout is an extra one I had installed after the tornado to help with water overflow in the "once every 50 year rains" we seem to be getting 3 times every year in the past 6 years now with global warming. And yes, I want it on the hardscape to keep it out of my lawn. Iowa is the new gulf of Mexico climate. Things have been so saturated here for years that nobody's lawn needs any additional water from downspouts. I put about a year's salary into French Drains, new high volume flow gutters and downspouts, additional sump-pump and interior drainage system, got a permit to run the new sump-pump discharge directly into the city's storm sewer, etc... .

All that - and then we had a drought in 2012.

So, I ride and live a Jake.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 01-02-2013 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jake on!
    -G

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    deleted...sounded too mean.
    Last edited by mtroy; 01-02-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Spark10 it will hold the tires wider than Arch rims but about the same as Crest rims even though these rims are wider than Crest, the Stans bead seat does a better job of holding a tire wide. You didn't say wider compared to what so this might help you get an idea.

My gloves stink

How to break the bead?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    The LB rims with the Trek rim strip hold the tires so tight that it is hard to break them off with zero air pressure.
    I have the same experience with my Bonty rim strips on Bonty wheels- I can't break it loose! Any tips?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Thumb exercises! Seriously, you just have to push real hard with both thumbs. But the good news is, you are never going to burp one of these babies!

My gloves stink

Where can I get some carbon thumbs?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Thumb exercises! Seriously, you just have to push real hard with both thumbs. But the good news is, you are never going to burp one of these babies!
    I'm an older guy with frail, slender hands, and my thumbs just can't get it done. I get it done by putting the tire in a vise and tilting the wheel sideways until it pops, but that's not going to help me trailside.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Brace the wheel across a tree limb and step gently on the tire.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    IF you ride in the desert and no tree limbs lay the wheel across your other (hopefully inflated) tire and step on the deflated tire.

My gloves stink
    Good idea! Plenty of tree limbs around here...too many in fact.

AZ
    banned
    N.m. I'm an idiot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-park-pts-1_001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    I'm an older guy with frail, slender hands, and my thumbs just can't get it done. I get it done by putting the tire in a vise and tilting the wheel sideways until it pops, but that's not going to help me trailside.
    You might consider (if not already doing) bringing along stans fluid, a valve stem core remover, and an injector for trailside repairs to seal leaks.

My gloves stink
    You omitted an air compressor from your list. I just carry a tube. Come to think of it, even tho I have difficulty breaking the bead loose at home, it hasn't been a problem trailside. Perhaps by the time I notice I've flat and find a place to pull over, the bead dislodges itself.

mtbr member
    That's a much better way to say it, rather than call someone lazy and half-assed who disagrees with your approach.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just use Yellow tape with Stans rims and install a tube if my above fix does not seal up. With the yellow tape and whatever type of tires (I usually use non tubeless Maxxis for the rear and a TR Racing Ralph 2.4 in the front) they are easily unseated by hand. I think I will start using the Gorilla Tape (just because it is so much more readily available and less expensive). A CO^2 Cartridge (on the trail) will normally blow the tire up just fine and then you can top it off with a pump if needed.