Page 118 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,900 of 8113
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by caderader View Post
    Cool thanks, I'm going with 15mm/142X12 so I guess the 771/772 should be good. That's something I'm a little confused about though? I see a 771/772 being referenced as well as a 711/712. Are these two different models or just a misnomer?
    I think 712 are quick release only

transmitter~receiver
    variables use to coincide with wikipedia spoke length calculation formula:
    (I drew the attached and once I have enough wikipedia cred to post an image, I will replace the incorrect image on that page that has the ends of the spokes labeled "nipple seat circle"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-spoke-length.jpg  

Last edited by meltingfeather; 05-01-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Anyone seen rims by Speedcarbon11 on ebay? Even less $ than LB.

29er MTB Carbon Mountain Bike Wheel Axle 15mm Front x12 142mm Through Axle Wheel | eBay

Rim / Spoke calc guys - interesting discussion but OT, wanna take it to PM? Just suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caderader View Post
    I think the DIY means you build the wheel. But they offer free warranty replacement including shipping! Interesting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeh I didn't realize that, I was pretty sure it was just a name and the wheel set was built all the way. Anyway the've got a coupon for 8% off to make it an even sweeter deal!

Coupon Code: VK2014165

mtbr member
    What was shipping BTW, I tried to do a quick check but was in middle of applying for jobs and couldn't spend 10 min creating a profile and all just for shipping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    $76.17

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    Rim / Spoke calc guys - interesting discussion but OT, wanna take it to PM? Just suggestion.
    I totally want to see more of this in a dedicated thread. It would be great to see more clarification of wheel physics and measurements in general, but in a new thread. I would subscribe to that. Thanks for contributing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So how are those 30mm ID wheels treating you guys who have them already? We want more ride/tire fitting/square edge rock smashing reports!

Also, I saw on the LB 29er thread that they are doing a 24mm ID hookless now, and someone posted cross-sectional drawings of all 3 29er hookless models. Interestingly, if you do the math (OD minus ID) you find that those new 24mm models have a 3mm sidewall thickness, vs. the 2.5mm thickness of the 22mm ID and 30mm ID models. I am curious if this is going to be their new spec going forward. It seems like it would be good for rock strikes, and is closer to the dimensions Derby is using on his sidewalls. Anyone here got a set of the 24mm ID hookless yet?

The Mountain Bike Life
    So far mine are still running true and strong. I have punished them fairly hard too...one ride where I thought my grip was crazy good...turns out I was running 17psi in the front and 19 in the rear, for a 270lb dude...that's insane. No burps running ghetto tubeless either...loving them!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    So far mine are still running true and strong. I have punished them fairly hard too...one ride where I thought my grip was crazy good...turns out I was running 17psi in the front and 19 in the rear, for a 270lb dude...that's insane. No burps running ghetto tubeless either...loving them!

Had a similar experience. Got home to see I was running 15-16 psi, but I'm only 175. Tempted to run like that again cause the grip was so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mountain Bike Life
    Quote Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
    Had a similar experience. Got home to see I was running 15-16 psi, but I'm only 175. Tempted to run like that again cause the grip was so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, like amazingly good, and the amazing thing is I didn't feel any tire roll in the corners...man I love wide rims!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    WOW, 17-19psi at 270lbs riding hard! That is quite a testament! When you say that you are running ghetto tubeless, do you mean with a split innertube or just a gorilla tape type setup? Tubeless ready tires?

Thanks!

The Mountain Bike Life
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKaiser View Post
    WOW, 17-19psi at 270lbs riding hard! That is quite a testament! When you say that you are running ghetto tubeless, do you mean with a split innertube or just a gorilla tape type setup? Tubeless ready tires?

Thanks!
    Ghetto with the split tube. My last go at tubeless I used the gorilla tape on some 21mm ID rims and I burped every damn ride....I hated it and went back to tubes pdq.

As for the tires they are 2bliss Specialized Ground control rear and Butcher front...with the grid casing. So far the grid casing is way better than the control casing I was using in the past.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Which rims?

I'm about to order a lightbicycles 29er wheelset for a Tallboy 2. I ride mostly X/C & trail and some AM too (e.g., whole enchilada). It's rocky out here & impact resistance matters to me. Bike come stock with 2.2 tires, and I plan to stick to tubeless ready tires in the 2.2 to 2.35 range and use Stans.

Considering these rim choices.
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-23hooked.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-30hookless.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-35hookless.jpg

Can I trust hookless? Any advice on which one to choose would be much appreciated. The 35x25 rims weigh about 30g more each, which is probably a good thing!

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by geeride7 View Post
    I'm about to order a lightbicycles 29er wheelset for a Tallboy 2. I ride mostly X/C & trail and some AM too (e.g., whole enchilada). It's rocky out here & impact resistance matters to me. Bike come stock with 2.2 tires, and I plan to stick to tubeless ready tires in the 2.2 to 2.35 range and use Stans.

Considering these rim choices.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23hooked.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	892184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30hookless.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	892185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35hookless.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	892186

Can I trust hookless? Any advice on which one to choose would be much appreciated. The 35x25 rims weigh about 30g more each, which is probably a good thing!
    Read the review of the Wide Lighting wheels at twentynineinhes.com. I strongly recommend 29mm - 30mm inside width hookless rims. Buy from whatever source you trust. I'm on Derby rims and they are just phenomenal - to your question, I've whacked them a few times in rock gardens and no problems. I'm running 20psi with 2.35 Nics.
    M

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My 29er 30mm hookless rims from LB will be at my door in about 6 days. I agree 30mm is the sweet spot for light 29er rims. Mine weigh 400 and 406 grams as per Nancy. I'll post some picts soon. My wheel builder now only uses Sapim spokes, he really likes the CX Rays but I think I will go with Laser spokes 2x lacing front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Read the review of the Wide Lighting wheels at twentynineinhes.com. I strongly recommend 29mm - 30mm inside width hookless rims. Buy from whatever source you trust. I'm on Derby rims and they are just phenomenal - to your question, I've whacked them a few times in rock gardens and no problems. I'm running 20psi with 2.35 Nics.
    Thanks Motivated for the info, the explanation is the review was great. Those Derby rims look real nice with the 3.0 mm sidewall width and the beadlock bump! I think I'll get the 30mm internal LBs, though, cuz I can get a complete wheelset built for the price of 2 derby rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Before I place an order, I have a simple question for the masses. What rim width would you run if you have 2.35 HD on the front and 2.25RR on the rear? Internal 30mm or internal 24mm.......

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    30 with the HD for sure.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Before I place an order, I have a simple question for the masses. What rim width would you run if you have 2.35 HD on the front and 2.25RR on the rear? Internal 30mm or internal 24mm.......
    I run Nextie 35 outer, 29 inner rims with 2.35 on front and a 2.2 on the back. Working great so far but I would think anything smaller than a 2.125 would be a little too small for a 30mm inner. With the 2.2, there isn't much "bulge" past the rim width. But there really isn't anything scientific to my theory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    If you are dedicated to that tire setup you can always run 30mm up front and 24mm in the rear.

I've enjoyed 2.35 HDs on 30mm internal width rims.

I didn't like narrower tires on that same rim, but I didn't try enough pairs to conclude anything. Although I sold those 2.2" tires to a friend with narrower rims and she liked them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

A question to experts. I got 30mm width rim and placed 2.25 RaRa to the rim with stans yellow tape tubeless setup with coke bottle compressor. Bead is up, but no sound. I always heard bead pop up sounds when i mounted tyres on stans flow or UST rims but not this time. Is it usual for carbon rims?

Sent from my SO-02E using Tapatalk 2

MattSavage
    Wider the better.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wide is the new medium, get the 30 mm internal.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ordered some of those 35mm 29ers about a month ago they should be coming soon. Probably more HD than I needed but better too strong than too weak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rims came in today, ordered them on April 25th. Really fast !! They look really nice, 401 grams and 407g weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the replies - I was pretty keen on getting the 30's but just wanted to check the RR would be okay. Guessing I will be placing an order today

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just ordered a set of the LB 35mm hookless, does anyone know if Bontrager makes a tubeless rim strip large enough to fit these wheels? (edit) they are 29"

Thanks,

Matt

mtbr member

Nextie-Bike carbon hoops

Hey, anybody bought from Nextie-Bike.com? I was told they source their rims from the same factory as LB. Looking for some feedback on build quality and feel. Any weirdness in transaction? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of their 35mm 27.5 hoops. Thanks in advance.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Matt in Temecula View Post
    I just ordered a set of the LB 35mm hookless, does anyone know if Bontrager makes a tubeless rim strip large enough to fit these wheels? (edit) they are 29"

Thanks,

Matt
    Why wouldn't you just use Stan's or gorilla
    tape and a valve stem to go tubeless?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey, anybody bought from Nextie-Bike.com? I was told they source their rims from the same factory as LB. Looking for some feedback on build quality and feel. Any weirdness in transaction? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of their 35mm 27.5 hoops. Thanks in advance.
    I bought a pair of Nextie 35mm 27.5 rims with the Ti wire in the bead from them last August I think. Took about 3 weeks to get them. Holding up great and weights were 385 and 389gms.
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You probably could, but there's lots of reports of the bontrager strips being better

transmitter~receiver

Thanks,

Matt
    No they dont

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Bonking ... not feelin' well Tough Luck

First off: This was an unfortunate event and I do not think LB is at fault

Tonight I took my Mach 429 Carbon on it's fourth ride with the the LB 27mm hookless 29er rims. These are laced to I9 hubs with DT Comps and tubeless with Stans tape at 24psi front and 27psi rear (pro built and 1558g if you're wondering). On this particular trail, there's a g-out section filled with square-edged slate. Well, I hit this section harder than normal (~20 mph according to the GPS) tonight and heard a loud *whack*. It sounded like maybe a small rock had been kicked up into the downtube so I just kept on riding... but about a mile later I noticed the rear end was getting a bit squirrely. Checked the rear tire and it was definitely low and figured it had burped a little on the g-out. So I busted out the pump and started at it when I noticed a nice little crack in the rim bead. Awesome.

I'm guessing I had some serious contact between the rim and a rock in that g-out section that lead to crack and a loss of pressure. However, it is possible that the tire had burped air earlier in the ride and blasting through that g-out section with low pressure contributed to the rock impact. I'm fairly confident that this was just a freak deal and had it been an alu rim, it would have been badly dinged up. Even though the Mach 429c only has 4" of travel, I ride it just as hard as my 6" bike. I'm to blame because tonight I over rode the bike, the rims, and the small-volume tires. A cracked rim was the result.

I shot off an email to LB to see if they do a discounted "crash replacement", but I'm not holding my breath. If not, I'll lace up a Stan's Arch and call it good. The front LB rim will continue to be ridden, and ridden hard.

Again, no blame or ill will is aimed towards LB. This was just a casualty of mountain biking.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-0513142120a.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What tire and size you are using? That sucks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    No they dont
    Thank you, tape it is then. Hopefully they will in the future, I've owned two set of wheels with the Bonty strips, and they work great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    carboncycle.cc finished my wheels, and sent me some pics. They look great, except they used SRAM XX1 freehubs on the Novatecs! Grrr!

How hard is it to swap a free-hub out? They are going to do it for me, but say the delay will be two weeks.

I could just buy a freehub body for Shimano from bdop and do the swap, but I've never done it. Is it hard?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you, tape it is then. Hopefully they will in the future, I've owned two set of wheels with the Bonty strips, and they work great.
    Agree with this. I would use Bonty style rim strips in every wheelset I had if they were available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What tire and size you are using? That sucks!!
    Rocket Rons at 2.25". I should also say that I'm about 190lbs geared up... so not the lightest rider out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cacka_lacka View Post
    Rocket Rons at 2.25". I should also say that I'm about 190lbs geared up... so not the lightest rider out there.
    Hate to say it, but that's your problem (the Rocket Rons). If you are riding an XC bike like a 6" travel bike, you probably should be using different tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I agree! Wrong tire for how your riding and bike. Try the Mich. Wild GripR 2.25 is huge so you will great air volume and girth with your rim. Even the 2.1 is big. and weighs 705 grams.

mtbr member

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    I bought a pair of Nextie 35mm 27.5 rims with the Ti wire in the bead from them last August I think. Took about 3 weeks to get them. Holding up great and weights were 385 and 389gms.
    Great! Thanks for the feedback!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Hate to say it, but that's your problem (the Rocket Rons). If you are riding an XC bike like a 6" travel bike, you probably should be using different tires.
    Yeah, I agree. The RRs were an experiment. In the past few years I've been exclusively riding long travel (6"+) bikes with primarily Conti 2.4" TKs (which are huge!). This year I decided to build up an XC bike and thought RRs would be a fast and light tire that matched the overall bike build well. I will be doing a handful of 50-100mi races this season on the 429c and thought I needed a true XC tire. Looks like I need to dial back the aggressive riding on the 429c or run slower and heavier tires. Maybe even need to consider an everyday wheelset and a race wheelset... but that would make me a serious racer, which I am not.

Still pretty bummed about the rim. The wheelset and tires rolled so fast that it was damn scary at times... I was very impressed with the RR's grip for an XC tire.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm a moron

mtbr member
    Uh, re-read the post.

And I have a 07 bike with 6" front and 5" rear that is XC oriented but AM able, so yea, things have changed since 89.

lol
    now XC is 6" of travel?!?
    What's "trail"... 8"? And downhill?

My primary XC bike has one gear and all the travel I can get out of the tires.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    Uh, re-read the post.

And I have a 07 bike with 6" front and 5" rear that is XC oriented but AM able, so yea, things have changed since 89.
    I read it... I was just as dumb the second time and missed the point (again). third time's a charm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    lol

The poster (#5891) said he rides his 4" bike (a Mach 429, widely considered to be a full suspension XC bike) like a 6" bike, which I took to mean "aggressively." Rocket Rons have probably the flimsiest casings of any knobby tire I've seen in person (they weigh 600g). So my point is that if he's riding his XC bike aggressively (or any bike aggressively) Rocket Rons are not the right tire, consistent with his rim destruction. So yeah, read it again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    lol

Basically, there are multiple senses of the word "like" and you inferred the wrong one. My meaning was "as though it were" and not "such as." In the context of the original post, mine usage makes perfect sense.