Page 117 of 259 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 127 167 217 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 6470
    My gloves stink

Brian says they'll have the convertible D711s...

Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    Back to LB Novatec hubs:

I had been emailing Nancy about a set of wheels and was very close to pulling the trigger but ended up scoring a screaming fleaBay deal on a set of Rovals. The only thing that held me back was the hub convertibility of the 711/712 series hubs. Well here is the email I got the other day:

Hello Scott,

Sorry for the late reply.
    The agent here says current D711 is ok to be used end cap(convert kit).
    But i can send you the pictures of D711/D712 hubs, maybe you can check with some bicycle shop to double check if it is ok to use convert kit.

Thanks,
    Nancy

So not sure if that is definitive but there it is.

And the hub end cap source I was in contact is:
    www.bdopcycling.com/Novatec-Home.asp

-G
    Brian at LB told me the Novatec distributor they use will have the convertible D711s in a matter of...months.

Were you able to get the endcaps from bdopcycling? I didn't see them anywhere on his website. The D711 hub he shows is not the convertible version shown on the US Novatec site: D711SB (FH) - Novatec
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

Ballstein Models
    The I9 connection is super slick. I had a set of wide 29er rims sent directly from China to NC to be built with the proprietary spokes and XC hubs. Quick turnaround and I've got a super sweet stiff wheel set to drool over while waiting for the snow to melt.

I've been riding a set of I9/Flow 29er XC wheels for a couple of years. Comparing weights of the two wheelsets I'm shedding 262 grams of rotating weight.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They look really nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikrc10 View Post
    When you say you haven't laced them up yet do you mean you just have gotten around to doing it yet or that they haven't shipped yet? Because that second option might be a bit of a problem... I cannot and will not wait months for these.
    Just haven't gotten around to doing it. I've had several other big projects. The rims have been sitting in the box in my garage for months now.

They shipped about 2 weeks later than originally promised.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well no worries, I just got an email from Brian saying my wheels have shipped. :-)

Will post pictures here as soon as they get here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well no worries, I just got an email from Brian saying my wheels have shipped. :-)

Will post pictures here as soon as they get here.
    please do, also are these the rims from light bicycle? There is getting to be so many pages and different link of the chinese carbon rims we need to break it down into pictures and where you got them. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Haha, yes these are from light bicycle. I will post all the details once they get here.

mtbr member

second set

Built up a second set of wheels. Loving carbon rims, next might be the road bike.
    Rear, no tape and no valve = 808g
    Front, tape and no valve= 708g
    Both 32 spoke count and X-ray spokes with Al nipples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dt190-rim-front-s.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dt190-rim-rear-s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Have a buddy who built a set of the light bicycle rims and so far he really likes them. One of his rims looked like it was starting to come apart (carbon weaves separating) but it very well could have been from bottoming out. Contacted them and they sent another right out, just took a couple of weeks to get here from china.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any of you guys running Novatec hubs know what the cassette body is made out of? I'm just curious because I'm running a SLX cassette at the moment and I know they can tear up aluminum cassette bodies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Whats the current wait time on these rims?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PainkillerSPE View Post
    Whats the current wait time on these rims?
    I think my rims shipped 14 business days after payment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    The I9 connection is super slick. I had a set of wide 29er rims sent directly from China to NC to be built with the proprietary spokes and XC hubs. Quick turnaround and I've got a super sweet stiff wheel set to drool over while waiting for the snow to melt.

I've been riding a set of I9/Flow 29er XC wheels for a couple of years. Comparing weights of the two wheelsets I'm shedding 262 grams of rotating weight.
    Hi hogprint, forgive me if this has already been answered...can I9 spokes be used with standard LB rims? I read somewhere on this thread that larger holes may be required.

Thanks,
    Richard.

Ballstein Models
    No modification required.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

ballbuster

For that weight...

Any of you guys running Novatec hubs know what the cassette body is made out of? I'm just curious because I'm running a SLX cassette at the moment and I know they can tear up aluminum cassette bodies.

.. the freehub body has to be alu.

and you can run your SLX cassette on an alu hub. You will likely get little gouge marks under each cog, and that sometimes makes the cassette stick to the freehub, making it hard to remove.

As long as you know that going into it....

I'd say get the wheels with the alu hub, and just get an XT cassette. I mean, it's not as if XT cassettes are that spendy. I just got one for under $60 landed.

My gloves stink

No problem

If your Novatec hubs don't come the ABG (Anti Bite Guard) freehub already, you can upgrade to it for cheap: Wheels-Parts
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    That ABG looks like a bad idea. One strip of steel means that the cassettes get gouged teeth where they hit steel and the rest of the teeth still dig into the aluminum. Worst of both worlds=ruin cassettes and ruin freehub!
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    .. the freehub body has to be alu.
    Please excuse my ignorance but why do you say it has to be aluminum?.. I have certainly owned wheels with steel freehub bodies before.

Weirdly, Brian told me they are steel but after double checking myself they are definitely aluminum.

Thanks Appendage, I will definitely look more into those when the time comes.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Aluminum is much lighter than steel. This is WW issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    The point of my post wasn't to be a dick but to instead help spread the information that you can't put that much in a tubeless tire. It's vital piece of information that NO ONE ever talks about. It's always an afterthought. Most people, even those that own tubeless products don't seem to know this.

As for my statement of warranty... You cannot honestly say that people don't try to get away with much worse. If I had a nickel for every bike that was damaged and I warrantied that was just riding along... In my opinion the rim shouldn't have failed so it's a legitimate claim.

It's really easy to be whatever you want to appear to be anonymously over the internet though isn't it?
    Plain as day right here from the Experts: Tire Inflating Tips

ballbuster
    Please excuse my ignorance but why do you say it has to be aluminum?.. I have certainly owned wheels with steel freehub bodies before.

Weirdly, Brian told me they are steel but after double checking myself they are definitely aluminum.

Thanks Appendage, I will definitely look more into those when the time comes.
    For that weight, it has to be alu. Aren't the Novatec hubs like 280 grams, or something crazy light like that? A steel cassette body adds like 130g to a rear hub over an alu cassette body. That would put the hub close to 400g.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    That ABG looks like a bad idea. One strip of steel means that the cassettes get gouged teeth where they hit steel and the rest of the teeth still dig into the aluminum. Worst of both worlds=ruin cassettes and ruin freehub!
    Isn't this exactly what American Classic does on their hubs now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    For that weight, it has to be alu. Aren't the Novatec hubs like 280 grams, or something crazy light like that? A steel cassette body adds like 130g to a rear hub over an alu cassette body. That would put the hub close to 400g.
    Oookay, gotcha that makes more sense. Things like tone of voice don't get transferred over the internet and I took that in the wrong way. My bad...
    Yeah they weigh in at somewhere around 280g.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    No, American Classic has 3 steel inserts to spread the load to 3 teeth of the sprockets. I have the AM hub and it works great. Using only 1 steel insert to carry the entire peddling load on only one tooth of the sprocket will fail miserably. It might work for a 150 lb spinner but anyone else will generate too much torque for the amount of contact area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I agree that one steel insert isn't enough, however, I thought that 3 weren't enough for AC bodies. That being said I can't see it failing miserably. It will simply gouge the cassette body in other places or gouge the cassette, neither of which should fail faster than previously, IMO.