Page 116 of 247 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 126 166 216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 6166
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    The big blue "Buy It Now" button was a dead give away for me as far as how to order. The "Price" entry (first) in the info table gave me a hint as to what they charge.
    Wow, you're the man! You are so much better than me. Thanks so much for your guidance.

I apologize for my stupidity, please forgive me.. my phone didn't show the link to where the pricing, and purchasing was, I'm terribly sorry I forced you to reply because I'm so dumb.

Thanks for making your superiority clear.
    Last edited by five5; 12-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Has anyone successfully run these rims w/ the I9 spokes yet? ERD is the same as the STans Flows that are currently on my I9 wheels....thinking of swapping them out for the carbon AM/wider/heavier rims.
    Can't help about I9 , but go two cross as Krispy has said much better spoke/nipple alignment . I went three but wish I had the shorter spokes, next time two cross for me.
    Enve recommend two cross for the same reasons.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Wow, thanks for being a ****** bag! If you could read any further down the page, you see that I was using my phone, and the link to that page wasn't visible to me.

Congrats, I knew there'd be one ******* reply, you're the man!
    Classy.
    Sorry to cause so much butt hurt. Didn't realize it was going to affect you so much.
    It's the Internet, lighten up!
    You didn't say anything about your phone. My phone showed it... how was I poda know?
    Merry Christmas. (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356485679.001570.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I weigh 190-195 lbs depending on the the time of year and ride aggressive XC and trail on a full suspension bike with lots of rock gardens on occasion, and race occasionally. What do you guys with experience with these rims think...should I order the regular "wider" rims, or do the "wider and stronger" ones make more sense? Thanks.

lamer
    My weight can vary anywhere from 195-205 geared up, I ride aggressive XC on FS, and I ended up ordering the regular "wider" 29er rims with a requested weight of 380-390g. I got the rims last week, and they're both right around 380g. I haven't had them built up yet, but I'm hoping they do the job.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I weigh 190-195 lbs depending on the the time of year and ride aggressive XC and trail on a full suspension bike with lots of rock gardens on occasion, and race occasionally. What do you guys with experience with these rims think...should I order the regular "wider" rims, or do the "wider and stronger" ones make more sense? Thanks.
    I'm 195lbs, have ridden DH trails on them, hit 10 foot DH jumps, raced on them, rock gardens etc. - also rode 5km with about 15 spokes so loose they had 0 tension at race pace and they did not even go out of true, my old Crests would of not done well with that. I have about 600km on them so far.

Here's a vid of me riding them rigid; I have a broken arm in this video so nothing too crazy

https://vimeo.com/56250319

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    I'm 195lbs, have ridden DH trails on them, hit 10 foot DH jumps, raced on them, rock gardens etc. - also rode 5km with about 15 spokes so loose they had 0 tension at race pace and they did not even go out of true, my old Crests would of not done well with that. I have about 600km on them so far.

Here's a vid of me riding them rigid; I have a broken arm in this video so nothing too crazy

https://vimeo.com/56250319
    Very cool video.............

I love my rigid

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How much psi are you running up front with the rigid setup?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Classy.
    Sorry to cause so much butt hurt. Didn't realize it was going to affect you so much.
    It's the Internet, lighten up!
    You didn't say anything about your phone. My phone showed it... how was I poda know?
    Merry Christmas. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356485679.001570.jpg 
Views:	948 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	748014
    Well, in his defense, you do have a tendency to jump on folks and be snarky.

I'm sure you're a fine and decent guy, but that 'giving people the business' stuff doesn't always translate well through the interweb toobz...

Just sayin'...

and this ain't the first time you jumped on somebody, administered a mild bishslap and pis sed somebody off. I'm sure it won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Used assembly lube on rim bed and threads...that red molasses thick super slick stuff you find in auto parts stores...w/o any ill effects.
    I'm still unclear on why anybody would want to lube up the nipple seat. Seems to me that is a recipe for loose spokes down the road. If you're tightening nipples up so you can't turn them anymore and need lube to make them even tighter, you're doing something drastically wrong. On any alu rim, you might see some minor set bowing around the nipple or surface discoloration or cracks, but on a carbon rim you can actually crack it down the middle and ruin the rim.

I use a bit of anti-seize on the threads, but even that isn't necessary. I just had one bad experience with seized nipples, and wanted a bit of protection from that.

BTW, I'm 210 pounds these days, and rarely have to true rims... even light XC ones. My wheels tend to be pretty dang 'set-and-forget'.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Well, in his defense, you do have a tendency to jump on folks and be snarky.

I'm sure you're a fine and decent guy, but that 'giving people the business' stuff doesn't always translate well through the interweb toobz...

Just sayin'...

and this ain't the first time you jumped on somebody, administered a mild bishslap and pis sed somebody off. I'm sure it won't be the last. '.
    PM sent
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    How much psi are you running up front with the rigid setup?
    About 20-22 front and 24-25 rear on a Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph

Nor­wegr
    Clincher means I can use UST tires correct?
    (Other than buying factory wheels I'm new at this)

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Clincher means I can use UST tires correct?
    (Other than buying factory wheels I'm new at this)
    Bicycle tire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It doesn't necessarily mean UST. It just means it's not tubular, where the tire is glued to the rim.

Nor­wegr
    Wiki to the rescue, thanks

I'm curious about getting a set of these as opposed to a set of crests, tough decision.
    I have a set of P321 hubs, but haven't nailed down my rim selection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had crests before. No contest the carbons every time even if one breaks I would just replace with another carbon. They are so much better, very stiff so track brilliantly, build a more even tensioned wheel so will be much stronger as well.

Greystoke
    I'm still unclear on why anybody would want to lube up the nipple seat. Seems to me that is a recipe for loose spokes down the road. If you're tightening nipples up so you can't turn them anymore and need lube to make them even tighter, you're doing something drastically wrong..
    I think that lube or grease is more for stopping the carbon from getting chewed & any loosening isn't really an issue due to the extra tension you can dial in on these rims.
    I prefer to lube as I like the nipples to all turn with the same force, if they aren't then something is amiss.
    As someone who builds a lot more wheels than me said ;
    " If you can build your own wheels don't bother with even spoke prep, use anti seize of some sort. If you build a wheel for someone who has no idea & will never check spoke tension use spoke prep"
    To each their own, every wheel builder will have their own way.

Hope I haven't offended you

mtbr member
    I'm still unclear on why anybody would want to lube up the nipple seat. Seems to me that is a recipe for loose spokes down the road. If you're tightening nipples up so you can't turn them anymore and need lube to make them even tighter, you're doing something drastically wrong. On any alu rim, you might see some minor set bowing around the nipple or surface discoloration or cracks, but on a carbon rim you can actually crack it down the middle and ruin the rim.

I use a bit of anti-seize on the threads, but even that isn't necessary. I just had one bad experience with seized nipples, and wanted a bit of protection from that.
    There's galvanic corrosion (your seized nipple...notice that white powdery stuff around the nipple/spoke/rim eyelets?) which a coat of goo can help prevent, and then there is galling during the tension process, especially pronounced during the tension process of non-eyelet'd rims but can also happen when using aluminum nipples...anyway.

Specifically w/ these carbon rims, I experienced a lot more difficulties in turning (aluminum) nipples once I started to approach 100kgf. My LB Wider AM wheels are tensioned to around 95 to 100kgf, and not the 105 to 110 some are reporting on their builds. From all reports, it's the long part of the nipple on the drill hole's wall, and not so much the nipple seat, and this is w/ that assembly lube. BTW, I was also using stuff like Tri-Flo and that Pedro SynLube chain lube and even grease, and I've yet to have a single wheel de-tension itself once I unwind the spokes/nipples by side loading the wheel during the build process. I primarily build for myself, but have also built for some friends. Using this method, I've had feedback that they've basically stopped truing wheels once I built them a set...and this came from really aggressive AM/Trail type riders (w/ aluminum rims). So yeah, the idea that lube will facilitate a wheel to loose tension from riding...I'd call that an ol' wife's tale (provided you unwind the spokes during build).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I recently got a PM from Appendage asking about my wheels and I figured I would just post it here instead, thought other people might be interested as well.

Unfortunately there has been several delays so I have not received the wheels yet. I ordered the wheels originally on Dec 12th. I emailed them after about a week asking how close they were to shipping and I was told they should be shipped in 3-4 days. I sent Brian another email after 4 days asking if they were shipping that day and I got a reply saying that it would be another 3-4 days due to the bead of one of the wheels being sanded to far. I told Brian that was fine, I would much rather wait a few extra days and get a defective free wheelset. So those 3-4 days were up night before last and sent another email asking when they would ship. Brian told me that to get the wheels in the weave I wanted (12k) that it would probably be next week sometime before they shipped but that they had a set in UD they could build for me if I wanted. I got that email this morning and replied as soon as I got it saying that would be fine, I personally don't really care what they look like. I haven't gotten a reply but I will let you guys know when I get more info.
    Hopefully they show up sooner than later... I'm starting to get antsy with no bike (tacoed front wheel), it's been almost a month since I've ridden now.

mtbr member
    I think Nancy and Brian tend to over promise and under deliver when it comes to when your stuff will be shipping out. Could it be a cultural thing?

I was anxious to get my rims, now, months later, I still haven't laced 'me up.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Has anyone experience with yoeleobike of the 30mm wide 27.5" rims?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I think Nancy and Brian tend to over promise and under deliver when it comes to when your stuff will be shipping out. Could it be a cultural thing?

When you say you haven't laced them up yet do you mean you just have gotten around to doing it yet or that they haven't shipped yet? Because that second option might be a bit of a problem... I cannot and will not wait months for these.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post

Nancy quoted me 3 weeks to make and 4 business days to arrive once shipped. It only took 2 weeks to get shipping confirmation, and they showed up in 4 days. So far I'm pretty impressed with their communication. I'm hoping I won't have to contact them for any warranty issues once I get them built.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Has anyone successfully run these rims w/ the I9 spokes yet? ERD is the same as the STans Flows that are currently on my I9 wheels....thinking of swapping them out for the carbon AM/wider/heavier rims.
    There is someone that posted in this thread a set of I9 wheels (with their proprietary spokes) built up using the LB rims. I9 gave me a quote of 1000 for them to lace up LB rims that I provided.

mtbr member
    Back to LB Novatec hubs:

I had been emailing Nancy about a set of wheels and was very close to pulling the trigger but ended up scoring a screaming fleaBay deal on a set of Rovals. The only thing that held me back was the hub convertibility of the 711/712 series hubs. Well here is the email I got the other day:

Hello Scott,

Sorry for the late reply.
    The agent here says current D711 is ok to be used end cap(convert kit).
    But i can send you the pictures of D711/D712 hubs, maybe you can check with some bicycle shop to double check if it is ok to use convert kit.

Thanks,
    Nancy

So not sure if that is definitive but there it is.

And the hub end cap source I was in contact is:
    www.bdopcycling.com/Novatec-Home.asp

I think the Rovals will be great but they'll never be carbon.

-G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    There is someone that posted in this thread a set of I9 wheels (with their proprietary spokes) built up using the LB rims. I9 gave me a quote of 1000 for them to lace up LB rims that I provided.
    Cool...this sounds like an uber stiff wheel build!