Page 115 of 253 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 125 165 215 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 6303
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

spoke washers

It will be my first set of carbon rims that i am going to build on my own. Therefore i wonder wether it might be a good idea to use these special nipple washers on the nipple/rim interface to distribute the tension to a bigger surfarce than compared to just the nipple head.
    Any of the experienced wheelbuilders here has something to say about this idea.
    Your feedback is highly appreciated here
    THX

Trail Ninja
    Never expected to hear someone say run the nipples dry, but then again, he did say lace it 2x to get a better spoke-nipple angle, so I can see it from his perspective. I was taught that anything was better than nothing. Talking to various bike shop guys, it seems like many have their own secret concoction, but talking to veterans, they say they tried everything and they all work sufficiently and the whole point of it was to make bringing them up to tension easier, and not keeping the spokes tensioned longer (which was kept tensioned due to high even tension, and stress relieving without wind-up--a quality wheel build).

I thought the grease on carbon thing was a speculative myth, due to how mfgs recommended not greasing seatposts. People believed that grease could permeate the epoxy resin and make the fibrous layers swell (maybe causing the carbon post get stuck in the frame), but I believe an Easton rep in an interview said that wasn't really possible and that it's more because grease would make clamping the seatpost take more torque and the carbon post would compress from torque, requiring even more torque to reduce slipping down, and more torque leads to failure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune196 View Post
    It will be my first set of carbon rims that i am going to build on my own. Therefore i wonder wether it might be a good idea to use these special nipple washers on the nipple/rim interface to distribute the tension to a bigger surfarce than compared to just the nipple head.
    Any of the experienced wheelbuilders here has something to say about this idea.
    Your feedback is highly appreciated here
    THX
    I looked into this when I picked up my wheel building bits...even got me a bag of the Fulcrum elliptical nipple washers. The short of it...they don't fit/can't get them thru the tire bed/inner rim wall. I'd totally eat the tiny bit of weight gain to be able to put in nipple washers, alas I just went nekkid
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Trail Ninja
    Oh wait, you said lubing the nipple seats. Hah... I've never done that. Disregard what I said. That was for spoke prep.

The internal Pillar nipples on the Enve rims are already rounded on at least one end I thought, unless you mean something else. I replaced a spoke on mine and I didn;t even bother to look at the condition of the carbon, but I can see how one might be worried, as the head of the nipple rests and turns right on the carbon, with the spoke pulling on it. I just see it as being like a very dull drill bit with low RPM, but a lot of weight bearing down on it. Kind of reminds me of that show that tried to explain the secrets of Shaolin monks and their Qi, and how they can harden their body to resist an power drill from piercing their skin and skull/neck (youtebe).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I weigh 160 lbs. ride around Nashville and Chattanooga. What are the pros and cons of 28 spoke vs. 32 spoke? Approximately, what would be the difference in wheel weight? (I have some 32 hole CK hubs.) I ride XC, with some rocky stuff but no big drops. considering LB wide rims. What spokes should I consider for a good light build? Comments on 2x vs 3x build?
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    kindacreeky: at your weight you could go 28 or 32. you would only save the weight of 4 spokes and nipples and your wheels would be a little more aero on the fast downhills. But 32 would be stronger, and have better resale value. If you already have some 32 hubs then I would definitely go 32.

As far as spokes, if you want light and relatively strong, I like DT Revolution.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just throwing it out there,

I rode about 5km of flowy single track before I noticed my rear wheels spokes loosened to less than finger tight on about 15 spokes and the wheel survived and did not even go out of true (200lbs + pushing hard on climbs).

I then rode about 4km of double track back to the truck where I had a spoke wrench, tightened the spokes and did another 20k - I don't think my old Crest wheels would of made it through that ordeal alive.

mtbr member
    Graphite should work for lubricating the nipple/eyelet interface.

mtbr member
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    One more Q: When lacing aluminum rims I have always lubed the nipple seats. Have you all been doing so with carbon rims, and if so, what lube?
    Yes. Use whatever you would for aluminum. I use Phil Wood grease because a q-tip fits perfectly in the end of the tube.
    Grease causing carbon harm and carbon not being a factor in corrosion is all misinformation.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    You may want to consider going 2 cross, it makes for a better nipple angle towards the hub. The rim is so thick, and the hole is not drilled at an angle so the nipple can't angle toward the hub very well.

As for spoke triangulation, you can just about throw previous wheel building practices out the window with carbon rims. They are so much stiffer that lighter, fewer spokes and fewer crosses works great and may actually build some flex back into the wheel.

I went 2 cross and used 282 mm spokes all around on Kings.
    Would you recommend 3 cross on the brake side of the rear, or 2 cross everywhere? I ordered a set of the LB rims and now am planning the build. Will have shop build up the wheels. I am 160 lbs, fairly smooth riding style.
    Also, what tension should I have the shop shoot for when they build? I will use 32 hole CK hubs.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Yes. Use whatever you would for aluminum. I use Phil Wood grease because a q-tip fits perfectly in the end of the tube.
    Grease causing carbon harm and carbon not being a factor in corrosion is all misinformation.
    Used assembly lube on rim bed and threads...that red molasses thick super slick stuff you find in auto parts stores...w/o any ill effects.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Napa anti seize lubricant #765-1674
    NAPA PERMATEX ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Has anyone had burps with the wide rims using gorilla tape? I read through a lot of pages, but not all, and it doesn't seem that anyone has had any issues at all that I have seen. I have some Bontrager strips on another wheelset that I could move over, but if the Gorilla tape works as well I will just go that route and keep the strips on the back up set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Has anyone had burps with the wide rims using gorilla tape? I read through a lot of pages, but not all, and it doesn't seem that anyone has had any issues at all that I have seen. I have some Bontrager strips on another wheelset that I could move over, but if the Gorilla tape works as well I will just go that route and keep the strips on the back up set.
    Have never burped with gorilla tape and rocket ron / racing ralph / bontrager 29-0, even at 18-20 psi and 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I burped and couldnt get a reseal with gorilla tape and a maxxis ardent 2.25. Im pretty new so I wasnt sure if I could get a reseal. I pumped it up but still had a leak but didnt pump to full pressure. I put a tube in and the bead reseated. I think if I had pumped to full pressure it might have been ok.

mtbr member
    Ok guys... 115 pages to go through, but just need to ask a quick question.

I've gone to www.light-bicycles.com... I can't find anywhere where it tells me a price, or how to order.

Can anyone link me?

Thanks!

Greystoke
    five5,Click on buy & prices come up

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post

I've gone to www.light-bicycles.com... I can't find anywhere where it tells me a price, or how to order.

Can anyone link me?

Thanks!
    I can only assume you're not looking at the actual product page. Click on the box/arrow in the middle of the product image. The price is the very first thing listed.

mtbr member
    Got it, my phone wasn't giving me the icons I was looking for... Damn cheap!!

Thanks!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Well I know you don't believe me, but the video I watched was from a longer shot and it might have been longer than 4 years ago. June of 08 was a little over 4 years and they have had video's way longer than that.
    You are right. I followed the instructions to a T on my first set and overlapped the valve hole.

Either that, or we are nuts.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post

Can anyone link me?

Thanks!
    The big blue "Buy It Now" button was a dead give away for me as far as how to order. The "Price" entry (first) in the info table gave me a hint as to what they charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hong-Fu sports has good carbon wheels

mtbr member
    Has anyone successfully run these rims w/ the I9 spokes yet? ERD is the same as the STans Flows that are currently on my I9 wheels....thinking of swapping them out for the carbon AM/wider/heavier rims.

My gloves stink

What's good about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Constantinos View Post
    Hong-Fu sports has good carbon wheels
    Why do you say they're good? There's no info on their website except a few pictures. Did you buy a pair?
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.