Page 115 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,750 of 8176
    Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    What ERD did you use. I have a set on order but time is running short on getting them built in time and I would like to order some spokes.
    Just to be sure I would wait the ERD may be different on your set.
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Objectuser the rims you are buying work awesome with the Bontrager strips. I have 6 wheels with them and over 3000 trouble free miles and I am not abusive, but am somewhat hard on wheels.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Objectuser the rims you are buying work awesome with the Bontrager strips. I have 6 wheels with them and over 3000 trouble free miles and I am not abusive, but am somewhat hard on wheels.
    Thanks! That's what I'm looking for!

Are you using the Bontrager valve as well?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I use Stan's valves and I really have to crank them down since they are just long enough for the Stan's injector If I really crank them down. Since i do have to make them so tight to work with the injector, i figure they are the shortest, lightest that will work and readily available. Also, since I have many wheelsets when I am changing fluid since all my valves are the same, I do not have to be concerned with putting the wrong valve body in the wrong valve because I generally do 2 or 3 wheels at a time in an assembly line fashion. When setting up a new wheel, I occasionally have had a little leaking around the valve even though it is cranked down but a couple of shakes with the sealant and valve at the bottom and they seal right up.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

Yes, I am referring to the 23mm internal, clincher, 29er AM rim.

RE:
    Bontrager rim strips

The 406892 Rhythm Symmetric is the one you want for the 23mm internal rim.

Works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Just got my LB Hookless 29er Rims built up and installed. Set the tires with a trail pump....yea a trail pump....crazy. Really nice quality Rims....if they're good this season going to get the road version for my SuperSix.

Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    I've got a 29er wheelset currently built with Stan's Crest rims with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I'm tempted to switch the the Light Bicycle hookless carbon. I'm interested in folks thoughts on the new build. I'm about 150 lbs., and these would be for XC use. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    any shots of the derby or LB 35mm wide rim with a Knard fitted? theyre 5mm narrower than surly state as minimum internal width, wondered if it causes many issues?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    GabrielJLaced up my XC wheels late Fri night/Sat morning.

LB Hookless carbon 27mm rims, UD Matte finish 32h
    Chris King SS/ISO hubs
    Dt Swiss Revolution spokes and alloy nipples (if they don't last I'll go to brass)
    Stans tape/Valve

Weight savings vs the Arch EX and DT competition was over 300 grams. Stiffness vs alloy rims is off the charts

That's great you saved about 3/4 of a pound of rotational weight, but what was that total? IE is your ck/lb/sapim build wheelset 1500g? 1450g? CK's are not the lightest and I have basically the same setup but without the single speed. Just curious of what yours came to.
    Last edited by combfilter; 04-08-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: needed quote

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Total was 1535g. 685 front, 850 rear, with valves and tape. I know the hubs aren't the lightest, but I don't want to use any other hub for my SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Just got my LB Hookless 29er Rims built up and installed. Set the tires with a trail pump....yea a trail pump....crazy. Really nice quality Rims....if they're good this season going to get the road version for my SuperSix.
    If the length I used for DT Revolutions was in stock in silver when I placed my order..Mine would have ended up looking quite a lot like yours. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Lost 1.75 Pounds by putting those wheels on....however I had Lead Sled Giant PXC-2's on there previously. Going to get the two piece XT rotors next to lighten them up a bit more.....King Hubs are not the lightest on the market....but nothing rules the trail like the King Does.

Axe
    Custom User Title

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

but nothing rules the trail like the King Does.
    I think there are a few hubs that are just as obnoxiously loud.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I know my Hope 40t is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I have the hookless 29ers on order. Excited to get these!

mtbr member
    Lost 1.75 Pounds by putting those wheels on
    Sounds like it must have been a good workout. My bathroom scale only does half pounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Sounds like it must have been a good workout. My bathroom scale only does half pounds.

Used a friends Bike Scale ;p Love the 3/4 Pounder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    HAHA well played but none are as awesome!

HTFU!

Ha, that is funny Sh!# right there. I thought the same thing when I read it. The guy must have sweat like a horse putting those wheels on, but then again, I loose that much taking a dump.

My wheels should be ready tomorrow. Specs and pics to come.
    I no longer deserve a signature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    but then again, I loose that much taking a dump.
    Um... cats outta the bag

The Turd

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Light bicycle rims

Bought mine from LB last September for my Bronson C. I so happen to be visiting China and they sent it to my hotel. I'm very happy with their friendly service. A big shout out to Nancy to took care of my order.

Was a little skeptical about their built quality but about months of aggressive riding, they have held up great and true. I now have close to ten ride buddies using them. (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_6415.jpg

.RJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For those of you that have gone with the hookless rims - is there any difference in setting up tubeless? What about if you get a flat, will the tire come off of the rim?

My reference is Stan's rims, I've been using them for a long time on all my MTB wheels.... I passed off the hookless thing as a bit of a gimmick, but now Enve is on board.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'd no issues with this and am able to inflate them with a foot pump.

Quote Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
    For those of you that have gone with the hookless rims - is there any difference in setting up tubeless? What about if you get a flat, will the tire come off of the rim?

My reference is Stan's rims, I've been using them for a long time on all my MTB wheels.... I passed off the hookless thing as a bit of a gimmick, but now Enve is on board.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

So here's what I've noticed. The height of the wall seems higher so it's a lot harder to get the tire bead on the rim. It's also hard to get off. This is on Rovals btw. I have no experience with the LB rims, thus why I am reading this forum. Other than that it's the same as setting up any other tubeless wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Has anyone built a Sub 1420g 29er 142+ chinese carbon wheelset yet? If so, what combo? I'd think one could come close with LB/(insert light hub here????/sapim laser combo should do it. Just curious of what hub people are doing that's a 142+ and sub 1420g

Wish I could find out what chinarello hubs Stans is using on the 3.30Ti. I've read chin haur but I don't see any on their site that have a conversion for a 142

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Tubeless set up effortlessly, I used my compressor, but a hand pump would do it too. The bead took some effort to get on the rim, so I don't think that you would loose the tire in a flat situation. I have ridden mine on very chunky technical terrain with now burbs or issues at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    Has anyone built a Sub 1420g 29er 142+ chinese carbon wheelset yet? If so, what combo? I'd think one could come close with LB/(insert light hub here????/sapim laser combo should do it. Just curious of what hub people are doing that's a 142+ and sub 1420g

Wish I could find out what chinarello hubs Stans is using on the 3.30Ti. I've read chin haur but I don't see any on their site that have a conversion for a 142

Take a look at the weight for DT 180 or extralight (sp?) hubs. Both road hubs but I've seen people using them. Going with 28 spokes and alloy nipples would help as well. Center lock brakes could shave off a few grams also instead of 6 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On your left.
    Jan 2004

What's so special about 1420g - got a bet with a friend or what? Anyway, I personally recommend based on years of experience the AmClassic hub set - the wheels will come in at ~1380g even with revos (assuming 360g rims). The front hub is equal to any. The rear is awesome too. If you want a few grams lighter, but lots more expensive - check out Tune hubs. Someone posted here with an LB/tune wheel set.
    M

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    What's so special about 1420g - got a bet with a friend or what? Anyway, I personally recommend based on years of experience the AmClassic hub set - the wheels will come in at ~1380g even with revos (assuming 360g rims). The front hub is equal to any. The rear is awesome too. If you want a few grams lighter, but lots more expensive - check out Tune hubs. Someone posted here with an LB/tune wheel set.
    Nothing special about 1420g.. Just seems to be where rovals are at.. Looking to see how the heck the stans valors are coming in at 1279-1320g per some reviews. I've checked out tune hubs.. Very spendy. I've looked at AC's also but I still can't tell if they are actually AC hubs or just some re-branded "open mold/chinarello" hub.

Looking for the tune build in this thread right now and not having luck. 5700+ post is hard to sort through.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
    Take a look at the weight for DT 180 or extralight (sp?) hubs. Both road hubs but I've seen people using them.
    How would you attach brake rotors to road hubs?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Nothing special about 1420g.. Just seems to be where rovals are at.. Looking to see how the heck the stans valors are coming in at 1279-1320g per some reviews. I've checked out tune hubs.. Very spendy. I've looked at AC's also but I still can't tell if they are actually AC hubs or just some re-branded "open mold/chinarello" hub.

Looking for the tune build in this thread right now and not having luck. 5700+ post is hard to sort through.
    I seem to remember someone found knock-off AC hubs, but the internals were different. I think the hubs are reasonably priced - and further so with discounts at Universal Cycles for example. And the flange offset should allow 1 spoke length, so you can buy a box and save $. Last I checked they are WAY less weight than any Novatec hub. You should be able to build an AC/LB wheelset yourself for ~$900.
    M

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

My wheels came in at 1422g. DT 240 centre lock Fifteen, 142 rear spacers. Weighed built on kitchen scales, hubs, spokes, 12mm Al nipples, rims only. (5g less than predicted on DT spoke calculator). Rims LB XC 29 weight 364 and 366. revolution spokes.

Schwalbe snake skin 2.25 tyres were a real ***** to seat with 1 layer of stan's tape, but once up have stayed up. No burping at 23/26 psi. Noticeably quicker uphill than roval trail wheels and suspension seems better as well. think I saved about 500g with wheels/tyres combo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Maxxis tires(Ikon and Ardent) were a major pain in the ass to get seated also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen99 View Post
    Maxxis tires(Ikon and Ardent) were a major pain in the ass to get seated also.
    With Light bike 35mm rims i got Ardent 2.25 tr and 2.4 exos to seat tubeless using a cheap floor pump and only a single wrap of 24mm 8896 tape over the spoke holes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    With Light bike 35mm rims i got Ardent 2.25 tr and 2.4 exos to seat tubeless using a cheap floor pump and only a single wrap of 24mm 8896 tape over the spoke holes.
    Must be the 27mm hookless rim, because I've set these tires up on other rims(Crests, Chargers) with no headache.

HTFU!
    Yes! They are ready to roll.
    Here are my Light-Bicycle DH (460g) 35/30mm Hookless rims. DT Swiss 240 hubs with DT Aerolite spokes. The final setup is with 120tpi Surly Knard tires, tubeless.
    I was able to roll my tires on by hand, no problem. Using a compressor, they popped into shape with no problems.
    Weight with Stans tape (double wrapped 28m) n' valves is ~1690g.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-016-570x800-.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-019-570x800-.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-021-800x599-.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-023-800x560-.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So my Nextue Carbon Rims Cracked today After 4 months of use.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diegobustillos View Post
    Please post a picture if you can and an explanation of the "incident", as have some Nextie rims.
    Mine are the 35mm wide ones, which rims do you have?
    Ibis HD3
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner WFO
    Knolly Podium

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Here are my Light-Bicycle DH (460g) 35/30mm Hookless rims. DT Swiss 240 hubs with DT Aerolite spokes. The final setup is with 120tpi Surly Knard tires, tubeless.
    I was able to roll my tires on by hand, no problem. Using a compressor, they popped into shape with no problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016 (570x800).jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	884931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019 (570x800).jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	884932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021 (800x599).jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	884933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023 (800x560).jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	884934
    Awesome! What bike?
    M

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Upset 650 B Nextie Carbon Rims. Broke.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-nextie.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-nextie2.jpg
    There are my nextie carbon rims, 4 months olds, cracked on rocky terrain.

Crash Dummy In Training

Name:	Nextie.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	885076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nextie2.jpg 
Views:	1399 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	885077
    How low of air pressure were you running at the time ?
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Rock strike? Did you know it when it happened (heard the strike? )

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Awesome! What bike?
    'The' Carver Gnarvester.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-011-800x638-.jpg

Took her out for the maiden voyage today. Wheels were perfectly stiff. Started at 18 psi (good) and after several miles I dropped it down to 16 (better), but think the best (for me ~180 w/pack) might even be 15, or dare I say 14? Don't want to go so low that I am constantly worried about a rock strike (sorry Diego, that sucks!).

mtbr member

Name:	016 (570x800).jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	884931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019 (570x800).jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	884932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021 (800x599).jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	884933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023 (800x560).jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	884934
    Do you recall your ERD measurements and/or spoke lengths?
    My rims showed up on Saturday, calculated the ERD, averaged 592.. Just wanting to compare, make sure I'm in the ballpark.

mtbr member
    Oh and I'm using 350 hubs so those measurements should be the same

On your left.
    Jan 2004

'The' Carver Gnarvester.

Name:	011 (800x638).jpg 
Views:	963 
Size:	415.1 KB 
ID:	885311

Took her out for the maiden voyage today. Wheels were perfectly stiff. Started at 18 psi (good) and after several miles I dropped it down to 16 (better), but think the best (for me ~180 w/pack) might even be 15, or dare I say 14? Don't want to go so low that I am constantly worried about a rock strike (sorry Diego, that sucks!).
    Cool bike!
    I run 2.35" tires at 20psi. I've had a few rim strikes at 18-19psi, but could not find any damage or evidence. I avoid those pressures now, but I'm drawn to the neo-fatbike and can imagine getting a bike like yours, but with gears, in the future. I really think these rims are a perfect balance of weight, width, strength and cost.
    M

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just got my 27mm 32h hookless wheels. LB said they were 338g and 356g when they shipped them (rims only). Laced up with SuperComp spokes and dt 240s hubs they came in at 1477g.

ballbuster

Name:	Nextie.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	885076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nextie2.jpg 
Views:	1399 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	885077
    Yikes! Bummer! I say check with the mfg and see if they have a crash replacement price.

... and yeah... hit a fist sized rock hard enough and it would trash any rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    Well said. To add another thing: I allready bought LB rims, but would have been interested in the Atomik design, if it were not for Yamon's blatant hate campaign.

That said, is it a fact that Yamon is affiliated to Atomik, or just speculation on this forum? No matter how strong the signals are, if they are just that, a theory based on a couple of observations and it turns out to be untrue after all, it's very sorry for this new brand.
    Its now confirmed... if you start looking at all of Yamons posts, he changed his name to Atomik Carbon.. yet all the arrogant posts he made in the past still show his quotes.. such as: http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/650...l#post10966635
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by vokeswaagin View Post
    Do you recall your ERD measurements and/or spoke lengths?
    My rims showed up on Saturday, calculated the ERD, averaged 592.. Just wanting to compare, make sure I'm in the ballpark.
    I just talked to my shop owner and his wheel builder was not available, but he did say that the build required 4mm longer spokes than what were called for. On one rim he had to use longer nipples... thus leaving me with a front rim with silver nipples and a rear rim with black. He said he would redo it later, but I decided to leave it (the less the spokes are messed with, the better).
    Sorry, that was not much help, but I had read about other issues, so that is why I let someone else (I trust) get it done.