Page 112 of 267 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 122 162 212 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 6660
  1. #2776
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    lol
    whatever you need to believe, dood. that's the same video that's been up for years. they don't even make the alpine rim anymore and that's an old school logo on it.
    I guess they used a time machine to upload that same vid to YouTube in June of '08, right? link


    well, fwiw, that's how I learned to do it as well (starting at the valve stem)

  2. #2777
    HatrickPatrick
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    38

    Carbonality wheelset quality?

    I'm also wondering about the pre-built carbon wheels with Novatec hubs from Carbonality.
    I'm thinking about upgrading my stock Vuelta wheels to some carbon ones on my 29er. I saw that Carbonality is selling some wheelsets here:
    NSS M923C - GD - 29er mtb clincher wheelset - 29er MTB - Wheels

    I'd like to know if anyone has bought these and how they have held up. I'm looking for something a little on the light side but pretty tough. I'll probably run them ghetto tubeless with 2.1 tires. I do a lot of long distance XC racing so I'd like something reasonably light, but rugged.

    I've read through about 30 pages on this thread, so if I missed a relevant post, please point it out too, thanks!

  3. #2778
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    221
    Is there a reason everyone is using the Bontrager rim strips instead of the Stan's rim strips? I know the Stan's cost more but I was just wondering if there was any other reason too.

    I am about to order the LB wider rim wheelset to run with 2.25" nobby nics. I am tempted to try to just run with yellow tape but I haven't decided yet.

  4. #2779
    4 Niners
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,009
    The Bontrager rim strips are not rubber like Stans. They are a stiffer higher strength plastic that turns the rim into a tubeless rim by having a high ridge just inside the bead seat. Tires are actually harder to push off the bead with the rim strip on these rims than on a real Stan's rim. Makes it totally secure.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

  5. #2780
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,433
    Quote Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick View Post
    I'm also wondering about the pre-built carbon wheels with Novatec hubs from Carbonality.
    I'm thinking about upgrading my stock Vuelta wheels to some carbon ones on my 29er. I saw that Carbonality is selling some wheelsets here:
    NSS M923C - GD - 29er mtb clincher wheelset - 29er MTB - Wheels

    I'd like to know if anyone has bought these and how they have held up. I'm looking for something a little on the light side but pretty tough. I'll probably run them ghetto tubeless with 2.1 tires. I do a lot of long distance XC racing so I'd like something reasonably light, but rugged.

    I've read through about 30 pages on this thread, so if I missed a relevant post, please point it out too, thanks!
    I race them on my SSCX bike. They're super good, no problems with skinny 33c tires and a tubeless conversion. Super stiff, light, nice quality build from appearances. I bet they'd hold up well for marathon racing.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  6. #2781
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    221
    Thanks, that's the sort of info I was looking for.
    G

    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    The Bontrager rim strips are not rubber like Stans. They are a stiffer higher strength plastic that turns the rim into a tubeless rim by having a high ridge just inside the bead seat. Tires are actually harder to push off the bead with the rim strip on these rims than on a real Stan's rim. Makes it totally secure.

  7. #2782
    HatrickPatrick
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    I race them on my SSCX bike. They're super good, no problems with skinny 33c tires and a tubeless conversion. Super stiff, light, nice quality build from appearances. I bet they'd hold up well for marathon racing.
    That's awesome news. Thanks for the feedback. I'll put it on my christmas list and hope. hehe...

  8. #2783
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    65
    Can anyone compare and contrast these with American Classic MTB Race 29 wheels? I've heard that the AC's are lighter, have a 24mm internal width (wider than LB) and are pretty stiff. Anyone that can confirm, refute, or add their thoughts on the comparison between the two complete wheel sets?

  9. #2784
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    401

    I've ridden both but on different bikes

    I have an older set of AC 29er wheels on my hardtail and built up a set of these with DT Swiss 240s for my fully. No contest as to stiffness. Depending on build the ACs may be lighter. I also own two sets of AC road wheels 420-aeros and Sprint 350s

    In my opinion some design shortcomings in AC hubs, which have been touted as advantages that should be mentioned:

    AC hubs have narrower flanges, which reduce the lateral stiffness of a wheel build (all other things equal). The reason given is that the wheel will use identical length spokes drive and non drive side, and will have roughly equal tensions. But having a wider flange puts a larger portion of the tension in the lateral dimension and gives a laterally stronger build. The inequality of tension between drive and non-drive sides is a red-herring.

    In addition my AC road wheels have started breaking spokes. The spokes exit the nipples at a rather extreme angle and I think this is a contributing factor along with the flexing, which causes metal fatigue. The use of proprietary nipples and spokes on my 420 aeros has been a source of unhappiness as well.

  10. #2785
    lamer
    Reputation: llamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    297
    I ordered a pair of the "wider" LB rims the other day. They're estimating 15 business days to make them. I'll hopefully see them around Christmas.

  11. #2786
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    221
    There is an invoice in my inbox for a set of the wider LB wheels to be built with DT Swiss Super Comps on the d711sb/d712sb. I am only waiting to verify that at least the front hub can be converted to a through axle. A qr15 specifically. There seems to have been a recent change in the hub that allows this but I was wanting to confirm. Anyone have a recent set that can set the record straight?
    Thanks

  12. #2787
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,433
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    There is an invoice in my inbox for a set of the wider LB wheels to be built with DT Swiss Super Comps on the d711sb/d712sb. I am only waiting to verify that at least the front hub can be converted to a through axle. A qr15 specifically. There seems to have been a recent change in the hub that allows this but I was wanting to confirm. Anyone have a recent set that can set the record straight?
    Thanks
    Good question... Lots of the 2011 9mm models floating around. The US website shows the new one, Taiwan shows the old ones.

    Not to thread jack too much, but I'm surprised Novatec doesn't make a SS disc hub...

    Edit: Nevermind, didn't look in the DJ section. Several of them there...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  13. #2788
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    There is an invoice in my inbox for a set of the wider LB wheels to be built with DT Swiss Super Comps on the d711sb/d712sb. I am only waiting to verify that at least the front hub can be converted to a through axle. A qr15 specifically. There seems to have been a recent change in the hub that allows this but I was wanting to confirm. Anyone have a recent set that can set the record straight?
    Thanks
    Even if the hub is convertible, you still have to figure out where to get the conversion caps.

    If I were you I'd look into the Novatec D881/D882 hubs. Those are convertible for sure and you can use the Transition Bikes conversion caps for them since the Transition bikes hubs are rebranded Novatec D881/D882 hubs

    Or, your other option if you need 9mm QR now but you want to future proof is to just get a 15mm front hub and then get one of these for 9mm. It'll be heavier but that's the trade-off f

    Mountain Bike 15mm thru Axle to Standard 5mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay

  14. #2789
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,433
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Even if the hub is convertible, you still have to figure out where to get the conversion caps.
    I'm sure LB can get the adapters from their supplier to include with the wheelset. If not, you can probably email the US distributor and get them there.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  15. #2790
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    Saw this more appropriate thread so posting here also - sorry for the duplicates.

    First off, do not expect these rims to be of equal quality as the ones built by a well-known manufacturer. All rims are manufactured in China, but the quality is not held to the same standard everywhere.

    Pros: They are cheap, they are light, tubeless tires seal quickly. The Novatec hubs are good although I've only ridden them about 500 miles so far.

    Cons: You get what you pay for. Warranty is sub-standard. The wheels are built very light and I've had spokes rip out of the nipples. They are advertised as AM - this is questionable. They are an XC rim.

    So, quickly my story.

    Ordered whole wheel in early September, received them beginning of October. I rode them for a month and broke the front rim on a creek crossing (rocky and I wasn't going slow). I'm 175 lbs, riding a 2011 SC Tallboy C with 35 psi. I rode through the creek at a good clip, hitting all the obligatory rocks along the way. I heard a loud crack, followed by a violent tire blowout, followed by a nice endo (flesh wounds only). The rim broke in 2 places, simply broke off a 20" section. The breakage was at the holes drilled in the rim. I contacted Nancy and sent in the serial # along with pictures of the break. A bit of back and forth. She now agreed to send me a new rim (not a new wheel) and I have to pay for shipping ($29). When it gets here I'll have to get some new spokes and likely pay someone to lace up the hub.

    I also spoke with a friend of mine in AZ who ordered the road rims. He told me the front was very nice but the rear should not have passed QC. Like I said... you get what you pay for. Do not expect the quality to be equal to those built by well-known manufacturers.

    IMG_20121114_182033 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    IMG_20121114_181714 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

  16. #2791
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by dhegglin View Post
    Saw this more appropriate thread so posting here also - sorry for the duplicates.

    First off, do not expect these rims to be of equal quality as the ones built by a well-known manufacturer. All rims are manufactured in China, but the quality is not held to the same standard everywhere.

    Pros: They are cheap, they are light, tubeless tires seal quickly. The Novatec hubs are good although I've only ridden them about 500 miles so far.

    Cons: You get what you pay for. Warranty is sub-standard. The wheels are built very light and I've had spokes rip out of the nipples. They are advertised as AM - this is questionable. They are an XC rim.

    So, quickly my story.

    Ordered whole wheel in early September, received them beginning of October. I rode them for a month and broke the front rim on a creek crossing (rocky and I wasn't going slow). I'm 175 lbs, riding a 2011 SC Tallboy C with 35 psi. I rode through the creek at a good clip, hitting all the obligatory rocks along the way. I heard a loud crack, followed by a violent tire blowout, followed by a nice endo (flesh wounds only). The rim broke in 2 places, simply broke off a 20" section. The breakage was at the holes drilled in the rim. I contacted Nancy and sent in the serial # along with pictures of the break. A bit of back and forth. She now agreed to send me a new rim (not a new wheel) and I have to pay for shipping ($29). When it gets here I'll have to get some new spokes and likely pay someone to lace up the hub.

    I also spoke with a friend of mine in AZ who ordered the road rims. He told me the front was very nice but the rear should not have passed QC. Like I said... you get what you pay for. Do not expect the quality to be equal to those built by well-known manufacturers.

    IMG_20121114_182033 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    IMG_20121114_181714 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    wow I think that's the first complete failure that I've seen for these rims.
    Glad you are (mostly) ok.

  17. #2792
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
    Is there a reason everyone is using the Bontrager rim strips instead of the Stan's rim strips? I know the Stan's cost more but I was just wondering if there was any other reason too.

    I am about to order the LB wider rim wheelset to run with 2.25" nobby nics. I am tempted to try to just run with yellow tape but I haven't decided yet.
    I just use 1" Gorilla Tape. No need to go all Bontrager on this unless you want to. Yellow Tape worked for me but allowed a bit of seeping so I went with the burlier tape.

    JMH

  18. #2793
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    671
    Stans tape has worked fine with the Ardent 2.4 on my bike. I ride aggressively but this setup hasn't burped, not even once. Granted, this is with just one season of riding.

    I have experienced precisely one flat so far. This was because the Stans had dried out and I hadn't bothered to put more in. Something large punctured the tire so the problem wasn't related to the tubeless tape but just that there wasn't any fluid left to seal the hole. I rode home slowly, stopping to put more air in the tire about every 1/4 mile. Even when it got down to rolling on the rim, the bead never unseated.

  19. #2794
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    221
    Bad break there. What do you think an arch ex rim might have done? Big dent or roll over?

    I found a supplier that deals with novatec parts. rbopbicycles or something. I think I googled "Novatec end caps". They're in Taiwan but were good with email. Said they didn't think the older versions of the 711sb hub would take the new end caps which they didn't even have yet. I think the new version of the hubs are not yet available. I asked Nancy if she could check on their availability. If I can't get the convertible ones I may punt on the whole carbon thing and get an arch ex set on the 3.30 hubs. I think they'd be about 150g heavier than the LB wider set on 711/712's but $200 less too. I suppose I could just wait a couple months for the winter to start then end and the hubs to be released.

  20. #2795
    Greystoke
    Reputation: geo025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    234
    Not looking good.

    How many others have front wheel failures?
    I've opted for a Chinese front & Enve rear, my thoughts were the rear has to take a larger beating than the front, but in retrospect if I was going to break a rim I would prefer the rear.

  21. #2796
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by dhegglin View Post

    Ordered whole wheel in early September, received them beginning of October. I rode them for a month and broke the front rim on a creek crossing (rocky and I wasn't going slow). I'm 175 lbs, riding a 2011 SC Tallboy C with 35 psi. I rode through the creek at a good clip, hitting all the obligatory rocks along the way. I heard a loud crack, followed by a violent tire blowout, followed by a nice endo (flesh wounds only). The rim broke in 2 places, simply broke off a 20" section. The breakage was at the holes

    IMG_20121114_182033 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

    IMG_20121114_181714 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    True about the AM recommendations, I wouldn't go beyond XC in them

    So, since you're the first full catastrophic rim failure, can you explain a bit more.

    What does "good clip" mean exactly, and "hitting all of the obligatory rocks"? Is that 30mph hitting boulders, or 15mph hitting fist sized rocks, just so we can get an idea.

    I've seen plenty of alloy rims fail in similar fashion at xc races (saw a mavic rim totally taco itself last race ) but most times it's from a frontal impact.

    I've had mine for 4 months now on novatec and rotaz hubs riding only xc - done some pretty rough rides with 0 issues. Love them

  22. #2797
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    671
    The guy who broke the rim was also pulling the spokes out of the nipples so we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the durability of these rims.

  23. #2798
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    592
    Just received 2 29er wider rims that I ordered. Took about 3 weeks total, 2 weeks to manufacture(Brian told me there would be a delay since there were like 60 orders before mine) and then 1 week shipping. Both weighed in at 400grams and both measured 603erd.
    I now own 3 sets of light-bicycle wheels. 1 set in each size.

  24. #2799
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,941
    The guy with the break is just trying to make a point that emphasizes quality inconsistency issues. Anyone with a holistic perspective should see that.

    He's also warning that if you're the AM type, maybe the kind that likes to look for and ride rougher lines fast on purpose, that you shouldn't feel very confident on these rims. Most riders should know how much confidence is worth on the trail, in determining how daring you want to be.

    He's also implying something about the full wheel build quality, and how that doesn't guarantee a problem free wheel, with issues such as spokes pulling out of the nipples. Wheel builders should know that shouldn't happen if you use new nipples, spokes, and hand build them carefully, but who's to say that wheel was built that way?

    Warranties in the US typically means a brand is confident in their product and that you should also trust in it, as they are backing it up. In this case, I get the impression that it should be more like a "ride at your own risk" disclaimer, with a generous "crash/accident replacement" cost, rather than a warranty.

    He mentions Nancy, so you should know which factory he's talking about here, which may have some amateurs working for them and/or some poor QA standards.

  25. #2800
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    671
    All of that is possible. But with only one reported complete rim failure, should we assume the worst?

    I've personally witnessed the failure of pretty much every brand and every component while "just riding along". Does that mean that those brands have poor QA standards? Or is it that every product can break?

    Posts in this thread will help build a reputation one way or the other. But so far I don't think there are enough bad reports to constitute a bad reputation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •