Page 111 of 266 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 121 161 211 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 6647
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Are you running Bontrager strips, or what is your set-up?
    Just 1 layer of Gorilla tape with a Rocket Ron up front and a Bontrager 29-0 in the rear tubeless.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I can definitely tell the difference in steering precision on the front but almost prefer the cushier ride of my Crests on the rear, but I am not going back.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone know what the weight of a single layer of gorilla tape is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    A single wrap of 24mm wide Gorilla tape added 24g per wheel with my 26-inch AM rims. Add 10% for a 29er. Yellow tape is more like 8-10g per wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    It's about 8-14g heavier than yellow tape from what I have found personally depending on width. It's what ENVE suggests for their carbon wheels, even though I am a weight-weenie I went with what the carbon makers recommend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Just 1 layer of Gorilla tape with a Rocket Ron up front and a Bontrager 29-0 in the rear tubeless.
    Wow, you are running the 29-0 in rock infested trail...I would never believed that skinny, thin walled tire would hold up to that abuse and a tire like that offers minimal rim protection. You must be a pretty graceful trail technician.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Wow, you are running the 29-0 in rock infested trail...I would never believed that skinny, thin walled tire would hold up to that abuse and a tire like that offers minimal rim protection. You must be a pretty graceful trail technician.
    To be honest I thought it would be much worse than it was, tire is surprisingly grippy and extremely fast in the dry (scary in the wet). The wide LB wheels actually made the footprint much better than my old Arch EX

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi Folks,

This is a cross-post from wheels and tires, but it is a question regarding the Novatec D822SB on the rear wheel of my CCC prebuilt wheelset, so I thought I would ask here as well...
    I am super happy with the wheel set, other than the weight of the rear wheel. The rear hub is a wee bit on the heavy side. I am pretty certain that that model hub is all steel...steel hub shell, freehub body and axle. I am wondering if it is possible to swap out the freehub body and/or the axle for aluminum replacements. It looks like they sell aluminum freehub bodies but I don't know if they would be compatible with this hub. I have poked around on line quite a bit and tried to contact Novatec and their US sales guy, as well as some other online Novatec resellers. I can't find a conclusive answer myself and nobody I have reached out to has gotten back to me.
    Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!
    Thanks!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quick question for folks using the Bontrager strips. Are most folks using the strips with or without sealant? As far as I can tell, from the many pages of the thread I have read, most are using sealant as well, but the original post (#131) by "indyfab25" that I believe initiated the idea of using the Bontrager strips seems to use the no-sealant approach-->

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMorris View Post
    Hi Folks,

This is a cross-post from wheels and tires, but it is a question regarding the Novatec D822SB on the rear wheel of my CCC prebuilt wheelset, so I thought I would ask here as well...
    I am super happy with the wheel set, other than the weight of the rear wheel. The rear hub is a wee bit on the heavy side. I am pretty certain that that model hub is all steel...steel hub shell, freehub body and axle. I am wondering if it is possible to swap out the freehub body and/or the axle for aluminum replacements. It looks like they sell aluminum freehub bodies but I don't know if they would be compatible with this hub. I have poked around on line quite a bit and tried to contact Novatec and their US sales guy, as well as some other online Novatec resellers. I can't find a conclusive answer myself and nobody I have reached out to has gotten back to me.
    Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Here's the specs on it... D882SB (RH) - Novatec

and some resources:

http://novatecusa.net/wp-content/upl...atalog2012.pdf
    http://novatecusa.net/wp-content/upl...2012-02-08.pdf
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I believe 99% are using sealant. Those using true UST type tires could probably get by without sealant if they never ran over a thorn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Quick question for folks using the Bontrager strips. Are most folks using the strips with or without sealant? As far as I can tell, from the many pages of the thread I have read, most are using sealant as well, but the original post (#131) by "indyfab25" that I believe initiated the idea of using the Bontrager strips seems to use the no-sealant approach-->

The Ikon EXOs I mounted sealed and held air with no sealant but I still added sealant. It can't hurt, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the links. I did come acrossed that info myself when I was doing some research. It didn't seem (to me) to answer my questions. However, I did hear back from Henry at Novatec US. He has been very helpful so far. I'll be happy to post back if/when I make some progress if anybody is interested.

Always Learning

You'll need sealant with 99.x% (just a guess at %) of the tires available. Post 131 is a typical example that one should air up and test the tire to make sure it will air up before adding sealant. Indyfab was just testing the bead and the tire on the rim with the strip to make sure it was golden to go after the Hans Dampf without the Bonty strip blew off the rim. Most tires will hold air for a certain duration before the air seeps out - some a few seconds to minutes, some even longer such as the tubeless ready Nobby Nic pictured in post 131. During that time frame you can test, as Indyfab did, for possible burping issues as pictured in his post. He was looking for security and a bombproof set up.

The only tires I own and have found to be able to be run on a 29"er without sealant would be the Maxxis LUST versions of the Ardent 2.25 and Crossmark. Of course, they both weigh 200-300g more due to the extra rubber to make them tubeless. Even then, you have to dip the valve in sealant every now and then to plug up any air escaping around the valve stem hole. I have not tried them on the L-B carbon rims to see if they would run without sealant (they do fine on my NoTubes rims without sealant). The other caveat with the LUST tires is - if you do get a thorn or other puncture, you will have to patch the inside of the tire like one does with any tubeless tire run without sealant if you want to continue to run it sealant free. I've yet to puncture mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The idea of the rim strip is to let them seat easier with just a floor pump by forming a tighter fit from the tire lip to the bead of the rim, or avoid rolling the tire off the rim at very low PSI - nothing to do with sealant.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback on the rim strips everyone.
    I only have experience with the Stan's rims and yellow tape, so this is great info to get my set sealed up once I receive them

mtbr member
    Thought i should chime in. i built up a set of AM heavy 29er LB wheels with Chris kings. Been beating the crap out out of them. Went totally sideways and dug in after being thrown by a root. Rode them hard in rock gardens, taken some hits, totally bombproof. Really havnt gone out of true even. I had nobby nic rear and Hans dampf front. Switched to a purgatory rear and butcher front and love the combo, faster rolling seemingly. Just bummed the King hub isn't xx1 compatable or upgradable at this point in case I want to make the switch. Oh yeah, bonty rhythm strips (with sealent) on both although I had gorilla tape for a while that was fine. Strips really snug it up.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Thanks for the feedback on the rim strips everyone.
    I only have experience with the Stan's rims and yellow tape, so this is great info to get my set sealed up once I receive them
    Either Stans or Gorilla is fine. Pull the Stans tape tight when you wrap it. Start away from the valve stem and overlap more than 3". Pull it tight!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Start away from the valve stem
    Yes!!

Don't know where the dingbats on this forum who recommend overlapping at the valve get it from.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I believe they watch the movie on Stan's web site. I have done it both ways, and it doesn't seem to matter.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    I believe they watch the movie on Stan's web site. I have done it both ways, and it doesn't seem to matter.
    You mean the "Yellow Tape Install" video below, where he says at 1:25 to start at the weld (opposite the valve hole)?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    That is his new video. The one I watched 4 years ago said to start just before the valve hole and then come back around to past the valve hole. I didn't know they updated it.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Either Stans or Gorilla is fine. Pull the Stans tape tight when you wrap it. Start away from the valve stem and overlap more than 3". Pull it tight!
    Thanks Rensho! I'm pretty versed in taping up the Stan's rims. I've never used rim strips so didn't know how folks were using those.
    I haven't decided which way I'm going to go once I receive my set (strips or tape), but leaning towards the Gorilla tape. I'm a XC weenie anyway so no big hucking stuff for me.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    That is his new video. The one I watched 4 years ago said to start just before the valve hole and then come back around to past the valve hole. I didn't know they updated it.
    lol
    whatever you need to believe, dood. that's the same video that's been up for years. they don't even make the alpine rim anymore and that's an old school logo on it.
    I guess they used a time machine to upload that same vid to YouTube in June of '08, right? link

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Well I know you don't believe me, but the video I watched was from a longer shot and it might have been longer than 4 years ago. June of 08 was a little over 4 years and they have had video's way longer than that.