Page 110 of 248 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 120 160 210 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 6176
    metrotuned WoS

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 15mm trade for 9mm with 30mm carbon clincher

Anyone build up a 30mm carbon clincher 9mm front wheel and want to trade upgrade to QR15 Maxle? I got a Chris King large diameter LD*** pink ISO 15mm front hub handlaced with Phil Wood & Co double butted silver spokes, Phil brass nipples, to a 30mm carbon matte rim. 4 rides on the wheel, less than 150 miles. Flawless. Makes a 2.4 Ardent jumbo-sized. I want to trade for a 9mm front end (going to rigid due to the CX off road touring specific riding I do nowadays).

Based in Bay Area Nor Cal. Photo of actual wheel attached - at Marin Headlands Hawk Hill on its maiden voyage to the summit of Mt. Tam! PM or email me thanks.

p.s. moderator, if this is spam, let me know and i'll gladly pay mtbr 3 bucks finders fee.

*** ISO 15mm LD Large Diameter, Super large bearing with 24 ball bearings per side for unparalleled strength & durability, 197 grams (complete hub), Can easily swap to a 20mm thru axle or 24mm Maverick American axle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-illnacord-mtbr-trade-c.jpg  

Last edited by illnacord; 11-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I just rode at Annadel on my trail bike with these rims. I was pounding down Lawndale and other rocky trails there with the highest confidence. These rims are very stiff, very point and shoot. I ran a crest rim on my front wheel for about a month. I can't say it was confidence inspiring at all. For similar weight, the light bikes am carbon rim is a clear upgrade over the crest.
    I've had the same experience. I think carbon rims are going to be one of the next big things if they aren't still. Still, beware of the rocks...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Anyone build up a 30mm carbon clincher 9mm front wheel and want to trade upgrade to QR15 Maxle? I got a Chris King pink ISO 15mm front hub handlaced with Phil Wood & Co double butted silver spokes, Phil brass nipples, to a 30mm carbon matte rim. 4 rides on the wheel, less than 150 miles. Flawless. Makes a 2.4 Ardent jumbo-sized. I want to trade for a 9mm front end (going to rigid due to the CX off road touring specific riding I do nowadays).

Based in Bay Area Nor Cal. Photo of actual wheel attached - at Marin Headlands Hawk Hill on its maiden voyage to the summit of Mt. Tam! PM or email me thanks.

p.s. moderator, if this is spam, let me know and i'll gladly pay mtbr 3 bucks finders fee.
    Doesn't that hub easily convert to 9mm? I know my King front hub converts back and forth between 9mm and 15mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Doesn't that hub easily convert to 9mm? I know my King front hub converts back and forth between 9mm and 15mm.
    AFAIK, it does. Kings go from 9mm to 15mm and back, 15mm to 20mm and back, but not 9mm to 20mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tom - talk with Chad at Red Barn Bicycles. He builds great wheels and has good prices. Several people have had the LB rims delivered to him for build up.

-Shane

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Doesn't seem that there is a local shop here (in town Atlanta) that won't price gouge me anyways. So I might as well see if anyone is building these with custom hubs and shipping em around.

-Tom

metrotuned WoS
    Brucebrown, the SD does convert between 9 and 15. However, I should add clarification - CK large diameter "LD" hub swaps 15, 20 and 24 only.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Always Learning
    However, I should add clarification - CK large diameter "LD" hub swaps 15, 20 and 24 only.
    Got it.

transmitter~receiver
    Brucebrown, the SD does convert between 9 and 15. However, I should add clarification - CK large diameter "LD" hub swaps 15, 20 and 24 only.
    That's if you're using factory Chris King parts. Using an aftermarket conversion you can get the 15 to 9, SD or LD.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    That's if you're using factory Chris King parts. Using an aftermarket conversion you can get the 15 to 9, SD or LD.

Just curious, what aftermarket providers are out there? I spent a long time waiting for Chris King 135x10 through axles and their 15mm SD conversion and felt like both were steeply priced...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    To the limp-d!ck who left me a neg-rep and this chickensh!t unsigned comment: China homer plus grammatical ******... weak

Do the world a favor and duct tape a plastic bag over your own head
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

beer is good
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy View Post
    Just curious, what aftermarket providers are out there? I spent a long time waiting for Chris King 135x10 through axles and their 15mm SD conversion and felt like both were steeply priced...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Here's one on ebay:

Mountain Bike 15mm Thru Axle to Standard 5mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-%24t2ec16h-ue9s3weg5fbqhgwocguq%7E%7E60_3.jpg  

Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Well...that's to convert any wheel with a through axle down to a QR.

The Chris King conversion kit to go up from a QR to a 135x10mm through axle in the rear on the other hand is pricey for what it is and slightly rare. I'd like all of my King wheelsets to have the through axle, but not so much that I'm going to pay Chris King prices for them...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wheel report- Pulling the trigger

I ordered 3k 32h Wider rims from the site on the 21st of October and Brian emailed me within an hour to confirm information. They shipped the rims with a USPS tracking number just five days later and I received them on the 30th. I have been saving for Enve wheels for months, but the thrifty side of me had to see if these could work first.

They come in this type of packaging which seems sufficient and made it easy to transport to my lbs:
    IMG_1318 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I inspected the rim and was not impressed with some of the sanding-like feature of the rim bed and all of the holes did not look perfectly circular. However, I thought it over and have come to believe that unless it is way off then it is really an irrational worry. The Rhythm strips really do seat perfectly along that space making it pointless to be concerned about how smooth it needs to be.

IMG_1321 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Carbon rims look great built up! I went with DT 240 20mm front/10 mm TA rear, DT Swiss Comp spokes, brass nips, old X7 cassette, Avid rotors, and the same Specie tires. I had asked for silver nipples, but instead got black completing the all too hyped 'murdered out' look. Other than that, they are perfect.

IMG_1348 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For anyone skimming through dozens of pages to get more info, I'll try to help here:
    Buy (2) of the rhythm 29"er size strips Bontrager: Tubeless Replacement Parts (Model #02566). It will come to a total of about $30 and they allow you to go tubeless.

If you are doing a low budget build then go for Hope hubs. High-end, DT Swiss or Chris King. DT Swiss spin smooth, have a 'low' 18 POE (can be upgraded to 36), and are low maintenance. CK hubs have a distinct sound when coasting, has color options, has high POE at 72, and require specific tools for periodic servicing. Both hubs are essentially fully convertible and have all around solid reputations.

Results:

I do not have any numbers to compare the loss of weight over my stock, however my calibrated arms detect an easily noticeable difference. I am sure that my stock 2011 SJ FSR Expert wheels with 520SL rims and Speci Hi/lo hubs must be a durable, yet heavy and slow rolling set of rubbish.

Pluses noted after just two ride in a week:

These wheels hold air better when stored than my Stans Arch wheelset. It was never really a problem before, I just had to be mindful to check pressures every once in a while. Now I doubt I will even be doing that. I also am going to experiment with lower pressures because I have burped Stans wheels when landing into a turn with pressures in the low 20's

I am much faster now and have no interest in stopping at spots where I normally push myself to get to before stopping for a break. I consistently ride my 2x10 drivetrain at 3-5 gears higher than before. I note 3 early on and then even five gears later in my ride when I guess I used to be too tired to maintain the same gear.

I did not fully understand what 'flexing the wheel', 'tracking', and 'vibration damping' meant in terms of mountain biking before but all those terms became clear to me on just my first ride. I can now sprint up on a climb and I feel better correlation between my pedaling and the acceleration of the bike. Hell, I can even lift up the front of the bike easier which is making me reconsider purchasing a shorter stem.

I have noted a drastic drop in my upgraditis over the last few days.

I am going to sell my xc bike because I no longer feel fatigue on my long travel bike like before.

I can not be sure how much of a difference can be attributed to the rims given that I also upgraded straight to DT Swiss 240 hubs with a 10 rear TA versus the stock RWS 5mm and rode the wheels freshly built up. I also noted how much more true they spin on my wheel stand. What is important though is that I know it was definitely worth the ~$1100 that I spent.

Clearly this is all subjective and my main point is that if you are considering a wheel upgrade, then do not let the rationale that a pound here and there is probably not worth it because it sure as f'n hell was for me. I wish I had pulled the trigger on these things months ago instead of thinking that I would be 'cutting corners' or something.

I will report on if they do not hold up for whatever reason. Clearly that is an unproven element in my review and it seems like I had such a huge change that I may be an outlier within this thread in terms of first time quality, communication with the distributor, shipping speed, and performance difference between my old set all coming together.
    Last edited by Art.C; 11-12-2012 at 04:09 PM.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by actickuff View Post
    There are many people who would like to have gomoncleroutletsale com/]cheap moncler jackets coats which can be both equally fashionable that will both ensure that they can safeguard just one in the chilly winds while in the winter season and also appear good concurrently The ideal solution for such folks is actually opting for the trendy and stylish jackets

To ensure that gomoncleroutletsale com/]moncler sale lady's current wardrobe being considered to be complete, that means that you need to have a ladies jacket This can be the primary closet thing that will be sure that their costumes will be able to find with numerous pizzazz By way of example, when dressed in a couple of denim jeans, the ladies may also don a jacket to compliment everything

In traveling into the fashionable and classy leather coats for women, you will find that gomoncleroutletsale com/]moncler outlet you'll find quite a number and many of them are slipping of cloth which might be designed for donning above the nighttime outfit Of these applications, you also be able to find there are other types that will assist in protecting one through the rainfall You will even find other sorts of spencer that happen to be worn by women who aid you in ensuring that their business enterprise attire is accompanied It may be like sun dresses that are suitable for a suit
    Seems legit

mtbr member
    My warranty CCC rim came wrapped in a very comfortable leather jacket. I think i am going to include some denim jeans in my next order.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Krispy, do you mind chiming in on what happened to your original rim? I've been following this thread for a while patiently waiting to pull trigger on a set for enduro races next year and I'm still sitting on the fence.

Keep on Rockin...

!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Seems legit

That is f () cking fuuuunnnny!

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Art.C View Post
    Wheel report- Pulling the trigger

I ordered 3k 32h Wider rims from the site on the 21st of October and Brian emailed me within an hour to confirm information. They shipped the rims with a USPS tracking number just five days later and I received them on the 30th. I have been saving for Enve wheels for months, but the thrifty side of me had to see if these could work first.

They come in this type of packaging which seems sufficient and made it easy to transport to my lbs:
    IMG_1318 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I inspected the rim and was not impressed with some of the sanding-like feature of the rim bed and all of the holes did not look perfectly circular. However, I thought it over and have come to believe that unless it is way off then it is really an irrational worry. The Rhythm strips really do seat perfectly along that space making it pointless to be concerned about how smooth it needs to be.

IMG_1321 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Carbon rims look great built up! I went with DT 240 20mm front/10 mm TA rear, DT Swiss Comp spokes, brass nips, old X7 cassette, Avid rotors, and the same Specie tires. I had asked for silver nipples, but instead got black completing the all too hyped 'murdered out' look. Other than that, they are perfect.

IMG_1348 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

For anyone skimming through dozens of pages to get more info, I'll try to help here:
    Buy (2) of the rhythm 29"er size strips Bontrager: Tubeless Replacement Parts (Model #02566). It will come to a total of about $30 and they allow you to go tubeless.

If you are doing a low budget build then go for Hope hubs. High-end, DT Swiss or Chris King. DT Swiss spin smooth, have a 'low' 18 POE (can be upgraded to 36), and are low maintenance. CK hubs have a distinct sound when coasting, has color options, has high POE at 72, and require specific tools for periodic servicing. Both hubs are essentially fully convertible and have all around solid reputations.

Results:

I do not have any numbers to compare the loss of weight over my stock, however my calibrated arms detect an easily noticeable difference. I am sure that my stock 2011 SJ FSR Expert wheels with 520SL rims and Speci Hi/lo hubs must be a durable, yet heavy and slow rolling set of rubbish.

Pluses noted after just two ride in a week:

These wheels hold air better when stored than my Stans Arch wheelset. It was never really a problem before, I just had to be mindful to check pressures every once in a while. Now I doubt I will even be doing that. I also am going to experiment with lower pressures because I have burped Stans wheels when landing into a turn with pressures in the low 20's

I am much faster now and have no interest in stopping at spots where I normally push myself to get to before stopping for a break. I consistently ride my 2x10 drivetrain at 3-5 gears higher than before. I note 3 early on and then even five gears later in my ride when I guess I used to be too tired to maintain the same gear.

I did not fully understand what 'flexing the wheel', 'tracking', and 'vibration damping' meant in terms of mountain biking before but all those terms became clear to me on just my first ride. I can now sprint up on a climb and I feel better correlation between my pedaling and the acceleration of the bike. Hell, I can even lift up the front of the bike easier which is making me reconsider purchasing a shorter stem.

I have noted a drastic drop in my upgraditis over the last few days.

I am going to sell my xc bike because I no longer feel fatigue on my long travel bike like before.

I can not be sure how much of a difference can be attributed to the rims given that I also upgraded straight to DT Swiss 240 hubs with a 10 rear TA versus the stock RWS 5mm and rode the wheels freshly built up. I also noted how much more true they spin on my wheel stand. What is important though is that I know it was definitely worth the ~$1100 that I spent.

Clearly this is all subjective and my main point is that if you are considering a wheel upgrade, then do not let the rationale that a pound here and there is probably not worth it because it sure as f'n hell was for me. I wish I had pulled the trigger on these things months ago instead of thinking that I would be 'cutting corners' or something.

I will report on if they do not hold up for whatever reason. Clearly that is an unproven element in my review and it seems like I had such a huge change that I may be an outlier within this thread in terms of first time quality, communication with the distributor, shipping speed, and performance difference between my old set all coming together.
    whiskey tango foxtrot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    Krispy, do you mind chiming in on what happened to your original rim? I've been following this thread for a while patiently waiting to pull trigger on a set for enduro races next year and I'm still sitting on the fence.
    Hey all,
    My CCC rim suffered a crack on the bead hook when i clipped a rock on the edge of the trail i didn't see. I was running 27psi, probably too low, and i instantly tore the casing of the Racing Ralph SS 2.25 as well. Hard to say if it was just the right hit to just clip one side just right to crack it or if these rims crack kind of easily....

The crack went down the sidewall a ways, but didn't go into the hollow box, or near a spoke hole or anything. Some material flaked off of the bead hook. The rim was still true and under even tension. I threw a tube in and rode it for a couple days.

I shot some super glue deep into the crack and held it in the vise under pressure. Then i epoxied the rim with an expensive boat epoxy. I rebuilt the bead hook a bit and i left a bit of a glue dome on top of the crack. LB warrantied it for $20 shipping. I set it up Ghetto Tubeless to get a better seal just to be safe.

Since it was still holding together I decided to ride it longer. I was really curious if it would still hold up. This was a huge gamble since The Whole Enchilada was the next weekend and was the focus of my whole season!! Over the 23 miles and 6000' of rock punishment it held up!! I started freaking out about 1/3 of the way into the race (on Hazard) because i was running second at that point out of 75 and the rear wheel was making some reeaaly loud sounds. I wanted to stop and feel the spokes but i was in a battle of death for the lead. I thought for sure it was coming apart so i backed down a little and decided to ride a little lighter. After another 30min i realized it was fine since it hadn't come apart on me yet so i pinned it down Porcupine WFO and clobbered the wheel at least 100 times into sandstone. I think the carbon rims and a fat tubeless tire put out some harmonics on the rock, Carbon wheels on road bikes certainly have a hum as they go by.

It's one of those things, ...if you clip one bead and pinch your tire and would have dented an alu rim you will probably crack the CCC rim. If you hit super hard evenly on rounded sandstone, come up short on a gap jump or land sideways on a hip jum they are pretty tough.

No doubt though, they are SO STIFF AND SO FAST that i cannot live without carbon rims anymore. If you can afford it just buck up and buy ENVE's. If you just rip trail and don't dent alu rims then CCC are just fine, but consider buying 3 instead of a pair!

Would i still recommend them? For $175 a piece, yes.
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Krispy.
    so did you finish on the podium? :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Tom - talk with Chad at Red Barn Bicycles. He builds great wheels and has good prices. Several people have had the LB rims delivered to him for build up.

-Shane
    Ditto. Had mine built there. High quality professional build and very reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Have smashed my 29er wide 380g rims off many rocks with my 200lb loaded weight with no issues, they actually hold air better than my old stans crest wheels - even at 20psi smashing them off rocks there is not a single issue with them.

I have also smashed my 88mm clincher roadie wheel off some potholes which actually hit the rim bead with no issues, just a small cosmetic mark on the rim.

Bike tracks great, very responsive in left / right motions and there is more cornering grip with the wide rim profile. I can put the power down better now I feel, and my times are quite a bit faster vs. the old Crest combo (weight savings was .7lb)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Have smashed my 29er wide 380g rims off many rocks with my 200lb loaded weight with no issues, they actually hold air better than my old stans crest wheels - even at 20psi smashing them off rocks there is not a single issue with them.

I have also smashed my 88mm clincher roadie wheel off some potholes which actually hit the rim bead with no issues, just a small cosmetic mark on the rim.

Bike tracks great, very responsive in left / right motions and there is more cornering grip with the wide rim profile. I can put the power down better now I feel, and my times are quite a bit faster vs. the old Crest combo (weight savings was .7lb)
    Are you running Bontrager strips, or what is your set-up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saruti View Post
    Krispy.
    so did you finish on the podium? :-)
    Yeah man i did!

I went off a drop and landed on a sharp rock yesterday, pinched the rear tire, no crack. Go figure. I did help an old lady across the street the other day though.
    Giant STP

mtbr member

Freaking carbon rims.

Now I can't stand my Arch and 355 rims on my SS, feels way to flexy that I can't stand them. Time to upgrade them also.