Page 11 of 163 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I wish I knew more abour wheel building. I was about to pull the trigger on either the new AC Race 29er wheelset or some Stan's ZTR Gold wheels for my wife's new Tallboy Carbon SPX XC. However these rims just look too awesome. She only weighs 120lbs. and really deserves a lighter set of wheels compared to the Mavic 719/Dt Swiss 350 wheels that came on it.

Any recommendations for her? I dig AC hubs. I'd also like to run it with a Hadley thru bolt on the rear and I think most AC rear hubs can convert to that (correct me if I'm wrong). I noticed these come in versions with a fewer spoke count. Is that wise to go that route being that she's so light? Or, is it better to just get the 32 hole with some really light spokes?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just in need of some expert advice before I get something and regret it later. She deserves some bling but we can't afford Enves.

Forgot to mention, I may use her Dt Swiss 350 hubs and get a couple carbon rims for myself. I currently have some Alloy Havens. They're pretty good but I would really like something a little lighter and more stiff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW View Post
    I wish I knew more abour wheel building. I was about to pull the trigger on either the new AC Race 29er wheelset or some Stan's ZTR Gold wheels for my wife's new Tallboy Carbon SPX XC. However these rims just look too awesome. She only weighs 120lbs. and really deserves a lighter set of wheels compared to the Mavic 719/Dt Swiss 350 wheels that came on it.

Any recommendations for her? I dig AC hubs. I'd also like to run it with a Hadley thru bolt on the rear and I think most AC rear hubs can convert to that (correct me if I'm wrong). I noticed these come in versions with a fewer spoke count. Is that wise to go that route being that she's so light? Or, is it better to just get the 32 hole with some really light spokes?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just in need of some expert advice before I get something and regret it later. She deserves some bling but we can't afford Enves.

Forgot to mention, I may use her Dt Swiss 350 hubs and get a couple carbon rims for myself. I currently have some Alloy Havens. They're pretty good but I would really like something a little lighter and more stiff.
    What's your overall budget?

There seems to be nothing really spectacular about AC hubs other than their weight; very low poe from what I see.

If you want a awesome performing and lightweight build, I'd suggest DT 240s hubs (upgrade to 36poe), cx-ray or aerolite spokes, and alloy nipples. Price should be right around $1k per wheelset.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    $1K is the budget. Any recommendations on best on-line sources for the spokes? Might just get the rims and work with the LBS for hubs and spokes. Hell, I don't know. Just wanna make the right choice for her. She digs her Tallboy a lot but often mentions how she's saving her pennies for a race wheelset. I just want her to not divorce me

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I mean, just look at her. She's loves this bike more than her own parents. She needs more bling. That stock wheelset is just way heavy (really durable though)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-tallboy_wifey4a.jpg  

mtbr member
    $1K is the budget. Any recommendations on best on-line sources for the spokes? Might just get the rims and work with the LBS for hubs and spokes. Hell, I don't know. Just wanna make the right choice for her. She digs her Tallboy a lot but often mentions how she's saving her pennies for a race wheelset. I just want her to not divorce me
    Prices are kind of all over the place depending what spokes you're looking for.

Best price I could find on the cx-ray were here:
    Sapim CX-Ray 14g Bladed (black) Spoke - Outside Outfitters
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I will be riding a set on my new Highball build

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I placed order 7 days ago for front and back rims, 29 AM wider version.

I have a set of CK hubs that I will be building up, along with the Sapim sp? spokes that everyone seems to love on this thread.

Pics coming soon!

mtbr member
    I mean, just look at her. She's loves this bike more than her own parents. She needs more bling. That stock wheelset is just way heavy (really durable though)
    Don't worry about the bling... no-one will be looking at her bike.

mtbr member
    If you are worried about divorce you should increase the budget. The divorce would be much more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good thread with lots of great info. So is the consensus here to get the wider AM rim for XC racing running tubeless? Thanks!

Rich

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I mean, just look at her. She's loves this bike more than her own parents. She needs more bling.
    Yeah she's pretty good looking. A diamond tennis bracelet and earrings would bling her out nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm no wheel building expert by any means, but I would think 28 spokes max with some high end light weight spokes would fit the bill for her.

On another note. I took my new Stumpy with the carbon wheels down some stairs and off a few 2ft drops to flat concrete last night. The stairs had around 25-30 steps and I just plowed down them. These wheels feel so stiff! I have a feeling they are gonna hold up to lots of abuse (crossing fingers)!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good recommendations. Just a note, the wife thinks flat carbon bike parts are the blingiest things known to mankind. She thinks diamonds are pointless. So, 28 spokes are the way to go for her weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    Another note, I used Stan's tubeless valve and the inner valve hole in the rim (the one in the cavity) is 6mm which is the same diameter of a presta valve. Stan's valve has a rubber cone that sits in the valve hole but will not really sit down in the hole to seal properly at 6mm. I had to use a dremel tool with an abrasive bit to open the hole slightly for the cone to drop in a bit more. I am currently exchanging emails with Nancy about this and discussing options. If you care to provide your input on this please do so here.
    I don't see this as an issue at all. The valve stem will seal just fine without opening up the hole. All the Al rims I have used Stans valve stems in have been the same way.

Bro Mountainbiker
    What the ****? Does this woman really exist? If so, you gotta hold onto her tight cuz she is a keeper!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    28 or 32 will be fine. The weight difference with cx rays should be about 37 grams between the two. Not that much if you ask me.

There are more replacement options out there for 32 hole stuff so a 28 hole setup might pose future compatibility issues.

For example, say you were unhappy with the rim and wanted to replace it with a Crest. But the crests only come in 32 hole for 29ers. You would have to look elsewere and compromise.

Just food for throught
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Has anyone done a tubeless conversion successfully on the lighter XC rims? I have a set of Bontrager Rythm strips sitting around.

Light bikes is saying a set of 26" AM rims are coming out. 23mm internal width, and UST. All sounds good, except it'll be around 470 - 490 grams I think that's too heavy for a XC race wheelset.

So I'm thinking maybe picking up a set of light 330 gram rims, and lace them up with CX rays to my CK hubs.

mtbr member
    Good recommendations. Just a note, the wife thinks flat carbon bike parts are the blingiest things known to mankind. She thinks diamonds are pointless. So, 28 spokes are the way to go for her weight?
    Lucky bugger! I got my wife a set of Dura Ace road carbon wheels for her birthday last year, and she was pissed at me! You got it good bud!

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    28 or 32 will be fine. The weight difference with cx rays should be about 37 grams between the two. Not that much if you ask me.

There are more replacement options out there for 32 hole stuff so a 28 hole setup might pose future compatibility issues.

For example, say you were unhappy with the rim and wanted to replace it with a Crest. But the crests only come in 32 hole for 29ers. You would have to look elsewere and compromise.

Just food for throught
    Excellent point. I think I'll stick with 32 hole for the compatibilty reasons.

Also, is there a lighter XC version of these rims? I checked the website and only saw the 395 gram version. The XC version may suit her better since these wheels would be her race set. We got into Leadville 100 this year so the lighter the better. We could always throw the old pair, or my Havens back on for chunky rides.

mtbr member
    Excellent point. I think I'll stick with 32 hole for the compatibilty reasons.

Also, is there a lighter XC version of these rims? I checked the website and only saw the 395 gram version. The XC version may suit her better since these wheels would be her race set. We got into Leadville 100 this year so the lighter the better. We could always throw the old pair, or my Havens back on for chunky rides.
    There is a lighter XC set, but I'm wondering how well they work with tubeless setups. With her weight, I say get the lightest rims you can.

the train keeps rollin
    TCW, good thinking, keep her happy.

Go DT Supercomp spokes, for hubs I'd go, DT 240, King, White Ind, or Hope.
    beaver hunt

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    Lucky bugger! I got my wife a set of Dura Ace road carbon wheels for her birthday last year, and she was pissed at me! You got it good bud!
    WTF, that's a great gift. Check out the wife's Valentine's day gifts this year. Some Iclic Times for the road bike, Terry Buttefly carbon saddle for the Tallboy, Oury grips, and lots of lube. Lube is good.

I suppose the XC version is more narrow. We were able to convert her Mavic 719 rims (narrow) to tubleless with relative ease using the Bontrager rims strips and valve. I'm surprised how well they hold air. The narrower Chinese Carbons might work well with those strips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-carbon-saddle.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-3.jpg  

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    Has anyone done a tubeless conversion successfully on the lighter XC rims? I have a set of Bontrager Rythm strips sitting around.

Light bikes is saying a set of 26" AM rims are coming out. 23mm internal width, and UST. All sounds good, except it'll be around 470 - 490 grams I think that's too heavy for a XC race wheelset.

So I'm thinking maybe picking up a set of light 330 gram rims, and lace them up with CX rays to my CK hubs.
    dont think they will be UST, but similar to the 29er wide rims (they are calling those tubeless compatible, but most rims can fall into the "compatible" category)...not sure what they actually mean by this term

you sure about that weight? the 29er wides are 400g, only rated around 5g heavier than the standard rim...the 26ers standards are 330g...i could see 370-390g's...470g seems way heavy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    dont think they will be UST, but similar to the 29er wide rims (they are calling those tubeless compatible, but most rims can fall into the "compatible" category)...not sure what they actually mean by this term

you sure about that weight? the 29er wides are 400g, only rated around 5g heavier than the standard rim...the 26ers standards are 330g...i could see 370-390g's...470g seems way heavy
    Has anyone gotten the smaller/ligher XC rims and slapped on a set of Bontrager Rythem strips and run them tubeless? I'm a bit surprised about the 470 gram weight myself, but here is the conversation:

Hello Yang,

The weight will be around 470g to 490g.
    Yes, it is UST compatible, and the internal width is 23mm.

We use MES shipping, the delivery cost will be at USD70 to USD78 by EMS for 4pcs rims.

Thanks,
    Nancy

Ming Yang
    10:11 AM (55 minutes ago)

to Nancy
    Oh, the weight seems a bit high to me. The 29" version is currently around 400 grams. Are you sure they will be around 470 - 490 grams? 370 - 390 sounds more reasonable to me.

If the weight is really around 400 grams, put me down for 4 rims!

Nancy Yu sales@light-bicycle.com
    10:13 AM (54 minutes ago)

to me
    Hello Yang,

The first rims will be heaiver, when the production line make more rims, the engineers will try to make the weight as light as possible.

mtbr member
    ...lots of lube.
    Funny, this is what got my wife for Valentine's Day too!

meh
    crazy, guess i wont be purchasing for a while until they can get those weights sorted out

mtbr member
    I just ordered a set of 29er complete wheels from light-bicycle.com.

Novatec D711/712 hubs. Wider rims: 30mm. 28 spokes. Nancy says they'll weigh right around 1500 grams. Difference between the Novatec Hubs and Rotaz hubs was about 37 grams by my calculations.

I'll try tubeless myself. Some yellow tape, Stans valves and Stans sealant with Rocket Ron tires.

Now with the waiting...

mtbr member
    WTF, that's a great gift. Check out the wife's Valentine's day gifts this year. Some Iclic Times for the road bike, Terry Buttefly carbon saddle for the Tallboy, Oury grips, and lots of lube. Lube is good.

I suppose the XC version is more narrow. We were able to convert her Mavic 719 rims (narrow) to tubleless with relative ease using the Bontrager rims strips and valve. I'm surprised how well they hold air. The narrower Chinese Carbons might work well with those strips.
    lol @ lube.

Those are pretty nice presents. I was surprised that my wife was a bit mad that I traded away those DA wheels this month for a TT bike, because I thought she didn't care

The DA wheels have been replaced by a set of Zipp 404s, so I don't see what she has to complain about

Keep us posted about your rim purchase, and how the tubeless conversion goes.

I'm still on the fence since I like wide rims, UST and a stiff wheel, but I want to see a bit of weight loss since I'm forking out $$. Otherwise, I'll just hold onto my DT Swiss 5.1Ds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post

Novatec D711/712 hubs. Wider rims: 30mm. 28 spokes. Nancy says they'll weigh right around 1500 grams. Difference between the Novatec Hubs and Rotaz hubs was about 37 grams by my calculations.

I'll try tubeless myself. Some yellow tape, Stans valves and Stans sealant with Rocket Ron tires.

Now with the waiting...
    Price?

This is probably the route I will go as well so keep us updated when you finally get these and start puttin some miles on em.
    Last edited by BamaCyclist; 02-23-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Too slow

meh

Now with the waiting...
    not sure what your requirements are, but the Novatec D881/D882 hubs are convertible to various front and rear axles for down the road

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaCyclist View Post
    Price?

This is probably the route I will go as well so keep us updated when you finally get these and start puttin some miles on em.
    should be right around $600

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    not sure what your requirements are, but the Novatec D881/D882 hubs are convertible to various front and rear axles for down the road
    At $600 this sounds too good to be true. Can the Novatec hubs do 15mm thru axel in the front and 10 x 135mm thru-bolt in th rear?

meh
    At $600 this sounds too good to be true. Can the Novatec hubs do 15mm thru axel in the front and 10 x 135mm thru-bolt in th rear?
    yes, dont know how easy the convertible axles are to get, but i assume you can order them how you want them set up...build quality from the chinese guys may not be great though, and who knows what spokes and nipples they use
    881 Front
    882 Rear

videos
    881 Front
    882 Rear

mtbr member
    It came to $598 with shipping and handling.

Wish I would have known that about the D881/882 hubs!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They can do 15mm front, not sure on the rear.

mtbr member
    Although it looks a like a weight penalty and 32/36 spoke holes. (Just did quick check with The Google.)

Nancy had the 30mm wider rims in stock in the 28 spoke configuration.

meh
    It came to $598 with shipping and handling.

Wish I would have known that about the D881/882 hubs!
    contact them

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    To the people who are wondering about the d881 and d882 hubs. I am also thinking about ordering a complete wheelset as it would be closest to my budget.
    the d882 or rear hub will and esaily convert to all of the new standards. I need a 12x142mm and this is the hub they have that will do this. it will also do 12mmx135, 10mmx135, and a 9mmXquick release.
    From what I have been able to figure out prowling around on the web, the novatec hubs are a basic but serviceable hub. expect to get one season out of the stock bearings then replace them with something of good quality.
    Other brands use their hub as house brands, Norco Axiom hubs are novatecs and Rocky Mountain wheeltec hubs are novatecs. I did notice that Norco is using novatec hubs as novatecs on the 2012 entry level Aurum.
    Anyone who gets a prebuilt please let me know what they are like. I want to replace the stock wheels on my element 950.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Now with the waiting...
    Very interested to hear how these go as well. What was the lead time to have them made up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd like to suggest moving the "keep your wife happy" topic to it's own thread.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tehschkott View Post
    I'd like to suggest moving the "keep your wife happy" topic to it's own thread.
    Is it because it has nothing to do with the subject? Or is it because it is precisely about the subject?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What's the spec on "keeping the better half happy" for these rims?

I find the alloy ones can get a little bit bent out of shape, but can be replaced relatively cheaply. Does the carbon provide a bit more flexibility before it, ultimately, snaps?

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Last edited by bt; 02-23-2012 at 06:21 PM.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Is it because it has nothing to do with the subject? Or is it because it is precisely about the subject?

Make a new thread and we'll all ogle your girl over there.
    Last edited by bt; 02-23-2012 at 06:06 PM.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    Make a new thread and we'll all ogle your girl over there.
    Thanks but no thanks. I'll continue to ask questions about the Chinese carbon rims in this thread. I may want a pair for myself. If she ends up with a set and I post a picture of her with her new rims will you cry? Is proper mtbr protocol to allow a woman to post her impressions on wheel performance? Or should I make her go back to the kitchen. Damn I'm hungry.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks but no thanks. I'll continue to ask questions about the Chinese carbon rims in this thread. I may want a pair for myself. If she ends up with a set and I post a picture of her with her new rims will you cry? Is proper mtbr protocol to allow a woman to post her impressions on wheel performance? Or should I make her go back to the kitchen. Damn I'm hungry.
    cool. keep it on topic and we'll all benefit from this good thread.
    Last edited by bt; 02-23-2012 at 08:39 PM.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This might work, let me know if my thinking is sound. After the wife gets her set of wheels I'll have her old Dt Swiss/Mavic TN719 wheel (DT Swiss double butted spokes). I found a thread discussing ERD of the 719s. Measurements were between 602 and 604. Does that mean I could simply relace the Carbon rims to the Dt Swiss hubs re-using the spokes? Is there any danger doing such a thing? This might make a nice upgrade for me as my Havens are giving me some problems with the rear hub. I also like the idea of upgrading the 350 hub to a 10mm thru bolt and the 36 POE. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Yes, you can reuse the spokes. No, there is no inherant danger unless the donor wheel is very old or has been braking spokes regularly from new, ie poorly built.

mtbr member
    Currently I'm getting a wheelset built with Pacenti TL28 rims, DT Supercomp spokes and Hadley hubs.

I'm considering switching to the Carbon rims and Sepim CX-ray spokes.

Ballstein Models
    Is there any danger doing such a thing?
    Not at all if, as mentioned, the components are in proper unworn working order. I'm doing a rim swap. Align and tape the new rim (ERD equivalent) to the old built rim, un-do the nipple, move it and the spoke over, re-do. One at a time. Then it is tension and true. Happens all of the time in the dark back rooms of bike shops coast to coast.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    Not at all if, as mentioned, the components are in proper unworn working order. I'm doing a rim swap. Align and tape the new rim (ERD equivalent) to the old built rim, un-do the nipple, move it and the spoke over, re-do. One at a time. Then it is tension and true. Happens all of the time in the dark back rooms of bike shops coast to coast.
    Awesome news. The wheels are practically new. Got the bike in December and only the light-weight wife has ridden them on mostly smooth trails. They are prefectly true.