Page 11 of 255 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    FYI, Miracle Trade is now online available for chatting/ordering.
    2012 carbon frame - Detailed info for 2012 carbon frame,carbon cyclocross frame,2012 carbon frame,MT-MC053 on Alibaba.com
    Mecy Lin or Jack

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyto View Post
    I was going to do this as well but their hub options or limited.
    I need a 20mm front and a 12x142mm rear. Anyone know if there is a company of similar quality/price out there.
    I wouldn't mind the up to $250 price range fora set of hubs.
    Lightbicycle can lace the wheels to novatec d881/882 hubs which are convertible to all major axle standards front and rear, I believe. Price was still 520 for a set plus 85 shipping when they quoted me. Not sure of the quality of these hubs, very little info about them in general but I think I read that they are 24 pts of engagement per revolution, with a three pawl mech.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    No another mental giant

Coincidence or are most bicycle mechanics dopes?
    I take personal offense to that but this time, I will let it slide
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    This is ridiculously awesome. My crest race wheels are a tad too flexy and these would make a great replacement. Especially since they are tubeless comparable and wider! Im going to get a set when I free up some extra money. Might be a month or so though.

Look forward to seeing more pics and reading more reviews until then!

If they are making that AM wide rim in 380g(mentioned earlier in thread) that would be my 1st choice.

mtbr member
    I'm kinda counting on a high-average 420gr, so don't get your hopes up for something weightweenyish
    Also... the burpability/tubelessness has yet to be properly proven... I ordered some thick gorilla tape, so I can do 2 layes, just in case

The usage of the Bontrager Rim Strip might still be the best allround solution, I hope to see more experiences and pictures in the following weeks!

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by vwn8 View Post
    Ive been on my set for about 50-100miles now. Built them with AC hubs and Sapim CX-rays. Im 200-215lb and im not babying them. So far theyve been great! I have a set of AC XCs and a set of hope/stan 355s and these are easily my favorites. The ride quality is much better. They feel as stiff as anything else and theyre the lightest by quite a bit (very low 1500g range). If your on the fence about these I would say go for it!

One thing I should mention is I had mine built with the "old" layup. Im told 390g rims are the new layup. Mine are 415g.
    Which distributor are you referring to?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    I never thought to ask. But i only weigh 155, so if they cant handle my weight, they oughtn't be made. As wide as the rims are, and advertised for AM use, i imagine there is no weight limit. Send them an email if you're concerned about it.
    I talked to an Asian rep. Over a light-bicycle.com on there chat. She said that weight limit is 95kg About 209-210 pounds.

Edit- She just told me they can make a custom rim set. At the same price for heavier riders Like my Self. But it is an extra 7 days while they build the one off set. I told them they should call it the "Special edition fatty rims"

She also told me the same company making these rims are producing parts for specialized.
    And the rims are made on an assembly line for a few different bike Mnf's. with different stickers on them. ( Maybe she will get fired after her telling me this, I dont know how much info she can tell me)

Nancy >i see, like specialized bikes, they are made in our city also
    Nancy >we are making 1000pcs/month frames for them
    Nancy >just they have a good brand
    Allan >Wow. So these rims, are they made on the same assembly line with other major brand Carbon rims?
    Allan >Or are they another major brand rim with a different companys sticker on them?
    Nancy >yes, one belgium customer have their sticker on their rims
    Nancy >also, some us customers
    Last edited by AllanR; 02-05-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Bro Mountainbiker
    No worries. I am no weight weenie. I care much more about stiffness. Superlight, flexy stuff is only good for going in a straight line fast!

Still tuned it....

ballbuster
    Amazing find! I'm all ears about these right now. I was just going to sell some parts to gather cash for another Lefty. I'm tempted do do this instead after I tacoed one of my cheapo flexy pinned DT Swiss rims.

I wonder how much sideload abuse one of the AM carbon rims can take before it cracks?

(some NSFW language)

I put a another cheapo hoop on after this, but I'm worried it will go again.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I cannot pretend that I never found the title of this thread disturbing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Tire when on just like on my old Stan's flow rims...........
    Went for a ride on the wheel today.......felt great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
    Look who's here... been waiting for you to show up!

Thinkin' about having Dan do me a set of these for the Racer-X. See if they are a bit stiffer than the Stans Arches. I wouldn't think there are any weight restictions, but one never knows about the "weight of a bag of tea" in China.
    Hey Dug,

I was going to order some Roval SL's but now I'm thinking of giving these a try. Just looking for some good hubs that are also light.

Thinking of getting some Extralite hubs. Rear is 168g and the front is 78g. Thinking the weelset could be under ~1350g (yes for 29er).

I gotta stop sniffing glue

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi View Post
    Hey Dug,

I was going to order some Roval SL's but now I'm thinking of giving these a try. Just looking for some good hubs that are also light.

Thinking of getting some Extralite hubs. Rear is 168g and the front is 78g. Thinking the weelset could be under ~1350g (yes for 29er).

I gotta stop sniffing glue
    Same here, ordered the rims last week and am still thinking about the Hyperlefty and the Hyperrear and build them with CXrays, can't find much information on how they hold up which is a bit worrying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    Same here, ordered the rims last week and am still thinking about the Hyperlefty and the Hyperrear and build them with CXrays, can't find much information on how they hold up which is a bit worrying.
    Did you go with the AM rims? If they can find me a set at 400g I'll go with the AM rim with 28h. I'm at 190lbs but I'm no AM rider and don't jump much so they sould be fine (I hope). Did you order the hubs from Extralite or some other US retailer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi View Post
    Did you go with the AM rims? If they can find me a set at 400g I'll go with the AM rim with 28h. I'm at 190lbs but I'm no AM rider and don't jump much so they sould be fine (I hope). Did you order the hubs from Extralite or some other US retailer?
    Yeah, went for the AM rims for 2 reasons, 1; the extra width and 2; the sturdiness/rim bed profile which looked better for riding tubeless. I'm around 190lbs as well and want some solid wheels for racing.

I'll either order from Extralite direct or from r2bike (as I'm located in Europe)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Amazing find! I'm all ears about these right now. I was just going to sell some parts to gather cash for another Lefty. I'm tempted do do this instead after I tacoed one of my cheapo flexy pinned DT Swiss rims.

I wonder how much sideload abuse one of the AM carbon rims can take before it cracks?

(some NSFW language)

I put a another cheapo hoop on after this, but I'm worried it will go again.
    Nothing says classy like tucking a T-Shirt into your bibs. I love it, and so would Gary Fisher!

ballbuster

Yeah, but....

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCyclist View Post
    You may not be heartbroken if they don't work out, but you might be broken. I remember some of the pictures when the 1st gen Mavic R-Sys wheels were failing. Not pretty.
    ... those failed because of the carbon spokes. Carbon rims have been around for a bit, and in general it looks as if they hold up, and are pretty tough.

I would be surprised if there was any significant difference between the high zoot name brand rims and these rims. I think the big names just mark stuff up like crazy.

I'm wondering what the story is behind the super high spoke tension. Are the rims flexy, or something? I just remember back to my BMX Flatland Freestyle days of the early 80s, and remember those ACS Z Rims? They were made of some glass composite plasticy stuff, and they were flexible enough that the spokes would work loose. I had to build mine up with stupid high spoke tension and they still worked loose. I hope the same is not going to happen here. Then again, I was building up these wheels at age 12, and was not exactly big on the details of doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    Nothing says classy like tucking a T-Shirt into your bibs. I love it, and so would Gary Fisher!

I know... I've been getting a lot of shiz for that. In my defense, I was wearing a long sleeve jersey and peeled it off just before this was shot.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-06-2012 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    Is it possible to build these rims with internal nipples?

Hmph, good point mucky... didn't think of the spacing requirement... I ordered some 9mm internal nipples, so they'll probably poke into the rimtape... but that will be 2 layers of Gorilla Tape. so it will probably be fine.
    It might even build up the rim channel!

mtbr member
    For those who have ordered these rims. Was shipping $50 to the US? I am about ready to buy a set and wanted to confirm if that was the case.

Thanks!

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    That is weird. The two sets we have are 440g per rim. New versions lighter?
    Nancy said they're coming in closer to 400g +/- 5g.
    beaver hunt

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    For those who have ordered these rims. Was shipping $50 to the US? I am about ready to buy a set and wanted to confirm if that was the case.

Thanks!
    I paid 60 and was told shipping was soon going up to 66, so if you get 50, you got a nice break.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    I paid 60 and was told shipping was soon going up to 66, so if you get 50, you got a nice break.
    I paid $50 shipping, but was also charged $14.4 (4%) for the PayPal fee.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ... those failed because of the carbon spokes. Carbon rims have been around for a bit, and in general it looks as if they hold up, and are pretty tough.
    I understand why those failed, I was more referring to the carnage that resulted from it. I guess I was thinking in terms of the rim completely failing, but that seems to be a pretty unlikely scenario. Most likely, I guess, they would just crack in one place or another, not completely break in half (i.e. like a bar, seatpost, or steerer tube).

mtbr member
    Thanks! The total was $360 for both the rims and shipping, so I must have gotten lucky! Looking forward to trying these out.

What the Crap?!
    I saw that too, but according to Nancy they only have them in 15mm front and 12mm rear. I can't find anywhere to get the adapters...

Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    Lightbicycle can lace the wheels to novatec d881/882 hubs which are convertible to all major axle standards front and rear, I believe. Price was still 520 for a set plus 85 shipping when they quoted me. Not sure of the quality of these hubs, very little info about them in general but I think I read that they are 24 pts of engagement per revolution, with a three pawl mech.
    Left blank on request

Page 11 of 255 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast