Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 8280
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShralpSauce View Post
    Somewhat OT but had a quick question about using some extra spokes I had for a build. This would be my first build so I'm not super familiar with spoke length specification.

I was planning on building Hopes on Stans Crests and I know the ERD of the Crests is 605. Where as the light-bicycle rim has an ERD of 603. Will I be able to use the same spokes?
    IMO, no. Find a shop that has a spoke trimming/threading machine and have them trimmed. The problem is that the nipple will bottom out on the shank of the spoke which causes extra friction and makes the nipple really hard to turn. This happens when the spoke is somewhere around 1.5-2mm too long.

I actually had this problem on the driveside spokes of my rear wheel built with the light-bicycle AM rim. I made it work (with aluminum nipples) and since have 25hrs on the wheel without any true-tension issues, but I wouldn't do it again.

ballbuster

Worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by ShralpSauce View Post
    Somewhat OT but had a quick question about using some extra spokes I had for a build. This would be my first build so I'm not super familiar with spoke length specification.

I was planning on building Hopes on Stans Crests and I know the ERD of the Crests is 605. Where as the light-bicycle rim has an ERD of 603. Will I be able to use the same spokes?
    If it's just your time you're wasting, I say go for it. You can also try getting some washers under the nipples inside the rim, but that is a hack at best.

I say try it without the washers, see what you get, worst case you take it apart and spend money on the right spokes.

Yeah, it's hard to get spokes trimmed and roll on new threads if you're only talking two or three mm's. You really should not roll spokes onto spoke that already has threads on it. Heck, it would probably cost you more to pay the shop to trim them than to just get new spokes.

mtbr member
    I just built up my rear wheel, I am about 1mm out of true radially and laterally so I have to smooth that out. I do not feel it is too bad for my first effort. My question is I am not quite sure what tension to use. I have read through the thread and it looks like most people are around 120 kgf. I am a bigger guy, so is this an acceptable target for me using Sapim lasers? According to my park chart that should be 18 on the scale and that's where I am at now. Thanks for your guys help.

The wheel is not tensioned in this photo for you sharp eyed folks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just took my first pavement spin on my new wheels. 32H UD matte wide AM rims beefed up for heavier riders, CK hubs with DT Comp spokes, alloy nipples, laced up by mikesee. They weigh in around 1800g, but feel extremely solid relative to the cheap hub, Arch combo I had on before. Hans Dampfs blew up with a floor pump and yellow tape, and after sitting on the bike for a while, the bead security is great. I had to take it down to sub 5 psi in order to snap the bead off. I will have the Rhythm strips just in case different tires don't work as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I just built up my rear wheel, I am about 1mm out of true radially and laterally so I have to smooth that out. I do not feel it is too bad for my first effort. My question is I am not quite sure what tension to use. I have read through the thread and it looks like most people are around 120 kgf. I am a bigger guy, so is this an acceptable target for me using Sapim lasers? According to my park chart that should be 18 on the scale and that's where I am at now. Thanks for your guys help.

Hey how do you like that Truing stand? I'm going to attempt my first wheel build and build up the 26 inch version of these wheels. Was thinking about picking up either the minoura stand you are using or the feedback sports stand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Make sure you get it round before you do your final tru. It needs to be round 1st, then tru. A little hop in the round is o.k, but not big ones. Try and get it close. Also, pre stress the wheel often. Either grab 2 parallel spokes and squeeze, all the way around the wheel. Or take the wheel out and flex the rim. Google it to see how it's done. I can't really explain it in writing.

Also, on the rear, I believe the drive side should have a higher tension than the non-drive side. It should work itself out that way when trued.

Looks good, good luck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How or where do I figure out what length spokes I need? I will be using Roval hubs off my Roval el wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    How or where do I figure out what length spokes I need? I will be using Roval hubs off my Roval el wheelset.
    Go to the DT Swiss Spoke Calculator site. I think this one is a bit more accurate - I checked on several I found online and this one gave me better measurements for my wheels using the same dimensions. I found wheelbuilder's site gave me slightly longer measurements for both the drive and nondrive sides of for the front wheel for some reason. You'll need to know some measurements about your hub usually in mm, like spoke hole circle diameter (the circle would be if you were to draw one through the centers of all spoke holes around each respective side of the hub), the distance between the center of the hub to flange for driveside and nondrive side, the axle OLD (for the common QR rear it would be 135, front QR/15mm 100, 20mm 110), spoke hole diameter, and the effective rim diameter (ERD). And you'll want to know the spoke pattern you want, as that will affect the length of spokes too. I think that's most of it.

mtbr member
    I will probably order some of the rims from light-bicycle.com. I'm about 210-220 with gear I'm looking at the Wider carbon mountain clincher (tubeless compatible) 36 hole UST 29er rim. I want to make sure not making any mistakes. First, can I ride these at this weight. I will lace these to 36 hole Haleys front and rear. The website lets you pick between 12 k, 3 k, UD carbon. Which ones should I get? My style of riding is fast and bombing. I will use DT swiss double butted and 12mm alloy DT nips. Should I even get these at my wieght?

carbon mountain bike rim | - light-bicycle carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible)
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Crclawn: don't hesitate! These rims are stout for sure.
    The finish is personal preference.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Bquinn, sorry to sound like a newb, first time w carbon rim. Just so I undrrstand, the 12, 3 and ud is the finish and they r all the same strength. Just real hard on rims. I had to go flows. I m thinking those carbon s laced to Hadley r going to be unreal.

meh
    12k, 3k, and UD are only the outer layer of CF chosen, essentially decorative, they are all the same underneath

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I gotta try a set.

Always Learning
    This question is not just directed at you, but if somebody is going to take the time to order these carbon rims - which we could debate on whether or not the entry price for a pair is "cheap" or not compared to all 29"er rims in general - why not have a wheel builder who can easily figure out spoke length needed and has done dozens and dozens and dozens of wheel builds before lace them up for you? Sure - it will add a bit to the cost, but you might stand a better chance of getting it done right from the get go.

The reason this question is not just directed at you is it seems a few posts here recently are about people using the rims for their first ever wheel build.

BB (who has never built a wheel)

mtbr member
    Yep this is turning into a "how do i build a wheel", "what hubs should I use", and "what spokes should I use" thread. Very little talk about the actually freakin rims anymore. Whatever.

mtbr member
    Is not a question about spoke tension applicable to this particular rim? I am not asking how to tension, but I want to know what tension others are using for THIS rim.

Some of us want to try and build our wheels no matter what the material involved is. Maybe a lot of questions aren't really applicable. Sorry some you guys feel all butthurt about it.

Here is a thread I just started for question in the Wheel Forum. I am sure it is a duplicate, but I looked 5 days out and didn't see anything. I guess we can move any non-performance oriented information to this thread.

Building Chinese Carbon 29er Wheels, ask anything
    Last edited by Adim_X; 04-19-2012 at 08:27 AM.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    This question is not just directed at you, but if somebody is going to take the time to order these carbon rims - which we could debate on whether or not the entry price for a pair is "cheap" or not compared to all 29"er rims in general - why not have a wheel builder who can easily figure out spoke length needed and has done dozens and dozens and dozens of wheel builds before lace them up for you? Sure - it will add a bit to the cost, but you might stand a better chance of getting it done right from the get go.

The reason this question is not just directed at you is it seems a few posts here recently are about people using the rims for their first ever wheel build.

I agree, I have been thinking the same thing thru this thread.

mtbr member

It's just my opinion, but I think this is a unique opportunity that almost begs for a new wheel builder to take a shot at the art. I'm sure a lot of us, me included, have always wanted to try building a set up, but companies offer such good pre-built products it doesn't make much sense. With these wheels, however, you can get a (debatable) great deal on a solid wheel, but without the hub options offered by other manufacturers. Why not take a shot? All the experienced wheel builders had to start by building their first wheel at one time or another and this looks like a sweet way to get your feat wet. Worst case scenario, you buy the wrong spokes or decide you are in over your head and hire some one to finish the job. If you succeed, well, it's like the ultimate "feather in your cap" kind of bike building skill.

As for the direction the thread has taken, if the wheels beg to be a first time build, this is the direction you would expect the it to take. If you reduced the thread to just pertinent info about the rims it would be 8-10 posts. I think this thread is awesome!

mtbr member
    Is not a question about spoke tension applicable to this particular rim? I am not asking how to tension, but I want to know what tension others are using for THIS rim.
    My point in fact. I missed your valid question because I was skimming through all the bs.

I would still shoot for 120kgf regardless of rider weight.

meh

Some of us want to try and build our wheels no matter what the material involved is. Maybe a lot of questions aren't really applicable. Sorry some you guys feel all butthurt about it.

Here is a thread I just started for question in the Wheel Forum. I am sure it is a duplicate, but I looked 5 days out and didn't see anything. I guess we can move any non-performance oriented information to this thread.

Building Chinese Carbon 29er Wheels, ask anything
    i dont think you were the one that caused the comments, thats a pretty valid question here
    its the guys that pop on without reading or searching any of the thread, then ask things like how long should my spokes be...if you have to ask a question like that, you should def have a builder or need to go do a lot more studying on wheel building

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    Bquinn, sorry to sound like a newb, first time w carbon rim. Just so I undrrstand, the 12, 3 and ud is the finish and they r all the same strength. Just real hard on rims. I had to go flows. I m thinking those carbon s laced to Hadley r going to be unreal.
    UD=Unidirectional. Sort of a plain, slightly textured carbon finish

3k and 12k are that classic fabric weave carbon fiber finish. One is tighter than the other. Forgot which is which, but I'm sure if you do a google image search, you can find examples.

This is separate from the matte or gloss finish. That has to do with the final lacquer or epoxy or whatever... finish/sealing layer.

*edit*

Oh, cool. This page has good examples:

Carbon fiber technology for bicycle frame manufacture

If you're looking for sage-like advice about building wheels, go pay Sheldon Brown's (RIP) wheel building page.

Wheelbuilding

I agree, tho... best to keep this thread specific to these carbon rims, and not to wheelbuilding. Refer to the Wheels and Tires forum.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    why not have a wheel builder who can easily figure out spoke length needed and has done dozens and dozens and dozens of wheel builds before lace them up for you? Sure - it will add a bit to the cost, but you might stand a better chance of getting it done right from the get go.
    There are several reasons to do it oneself. Waiting what could be over a week for a wheel to get built sucks. Doing it oneself isn't that hard, it's not some black art that requires years of study and devotion. Learning how to do something new is pretty cool and demystifying something that people on this forum seem to love to prop up as some sort of impossible feat is always good.

ballbuster

Well...

... where's the fun in that? Any knucklehead can plunk down cash on the counter and have their little serfs till the land for them. It's a lot more fun to get your hands dirty and learn how the stuff actually works on your own.

The key is just to do everything slowly and methodically. Measure everything super carefully in two different ways to be sure you get the same answer twice, go slow, be prepared to make mistakes and don't be afraid to start over and do it right.

- PB, who built 12 wheels for himself.

mtbr member
    May 2011

I plan on having a someone else who knows what they are doing build them. I just can't get a hold of him lately so I was hoping to get everything in order so when the time comes I can just drop it all off and let him do his thing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    delete

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    can someone start a wheel building thread somewhere.

mtbr member
    I started one in the wheel forum. I linked it above.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Ah. The "XC" rims definitely do not appear to have a "UST" profile.

The "AM" rims do, though.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.
    The "AM" is closer, but still not close to UST-spec shape. The bottom corners of the bead seat need to be squared off and it lacks the inner bead lock ridge.

mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I recieved 2 of the wider 29" rims in UD gloss. They look great to me. They weighed 406 grams and 396 grams.
    I'll be building them to DT 240s hubs (10mm Thru-bolt rear and 20mm Thru-axle front) with DT Swiss Aerolite spokes.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The "AM" is closer, but still not close to UST-spec shape. The bottom corners of the bead seat need to be squared off and it lacks the inner bead lock ridge.

Simply add the Bontrager Rhythm strips and BAM! UST

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My set now has just shy off 100 miles on them. Perfect, could not be happier with them. One layer of stans tape, 25psi with ikons, 180lbs of me and riding in nothing but rocks thus far....zero issues.

mtbr member
    I recieved 2 of the wider 29" rims in UD gloss. They look great to me. They weighed 406 grams and 396 grams.
    I'll be building them to DT 240s hubs (10mm Thru-bolt rear and 20mm Thru-axle front) with DT Swiss Aerolite spokes.
    snapmaster, can you please post pics when done. I'm on the fence with gloss or matte and the 12/3/UD finish. I'm looking to build with almost the same setup, except Hadleys 10mm bolt and 20mm front.

My set now has just shy off 100 miles on them. Perfect, could not be happier with them. One layer of stans tape, 25psi with ikons, 180lbs of me and riding in nothing but rocks thus far....zero issues.
    utah joe, thanks for that report. I was on the fence with these vs stans flows because I do ride alot of rock gardens. This really helps me want to go with the carbons. Did you order from: light bicycle-carbon frame,carbon rim,carbon wheel,carbon wheelset,carbon mountain bike,carbon road bike. If so can you speak of your experince with them. How long did it take to get rims once you ordered?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    utah joe, thanks for that report. I was on the fence with these vs stans flows because I do ride alot of rock gardens. This really helps me want to go with the carbons. Did you order from: light bicycle-carbon frame,carbon rim,carbon wheel,carbon wheelset,carbon mountain bike,carbon road bike. If so can you speak of your experince with them. How long did it take to get rims once you ordered?
    Yes, from nancy. When I ordered mine at the end of feb. they were on back order, so they took about 3-4weeks to get to me. I emailed nancy several times during this time and she always got right back to me. Pretty happy with the experience

Mine will be a race only wheelset for both my scalpel and my single speed, so I dont plan on using them everyday, but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Yes, from nancy. When I ordered mine at the end of feb. they were on back order, so they took about 3-4weeks to get to me. I emailed nancy several times during this time and she always got right back to me. Pretty happy with the experience

Mine will be a race only wheelset for both my scalpel and my single speed, so I dont plan on using them everyday, but so far so good.
    Thanks man, I'm really wanting a pair. Not to hijack this tread, but I'm really wanting a Scaple next year. Right now I'm riding a Special ED FSR 29 with 4" travel. I really like it, very plush. But I'm looking for something a little more zippy. I'm really thinking about the Scaple Composite 2. My build would be:

The Carbon rims with Hadley and Project 321 front hub.
    XO rear deraillure and X0 shifts.

How are you liking the Scaple?

Not that I race, but I have several bikes and these might get ridden once or twice a week if that. What hubs did you lace them too. If not too much trouble, can you post pics when you get a chance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just ordered a set.
    Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) - light-bicycle

Building with AM Classic 350 hubs converted to 10mm thru bolt. Not sure on spokes yet. Not sure on frame yet. Might go Spearfish 1, but might build a rigid gravel grinder with an FM056 or both and just swap the wheels back and forth.

Edit - Can't share wheels with the above builds, need the Spearfish 2 frame...

mtbr member
    To the spineless cheap shot, thanks for the negative rep. I guess starting a requested thread is being a f***ng D bag in your opinion.

My wheels are coming together well. I will give a ride report as soon as my other Chinese import project shows up, slow custom paint process.

Build:
    12k Gloss, with extra material for Clydes
    Sapim Lasers and Sapim Nips
    Hope SS and QR Hubs

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My experience...

I ordered the 3k finish AM 29er rims at the end of February. They would have shipped mid-March but I did the logo thing ("Made in China" in Mandarin). They had someone design the logo and then someone else make it. That took a week. I ended up receiving the rims on April 3rd, I believe. So, here they are: My "Made in China" rims, DT Revos, DT 240's. BTW, that's Cafe Latex all over the tires. Tires seated great with Rhythm strips, but the sidewalls leaked. That's a whole other forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscantell View Post
    I ordered the 3k finish AM 29er rims at the end of February. They would have shipped mid-March but I did the logo thing ("Made in China" in Mandarin). They had someone design the logo and then someone else make it. That took a week. I ended up receiving the rims on April 3rd, I believe. So, here they are: My "Made in China" rims, DT Revos, DT 240's. BTW, that's Cafe Latex all over the tires. Tires seated great with Rhythm strips, but the sidewalls leaked. That's a whole other forum.

I love it! "Made it Chine" on a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ US made frame, post and stem. Love the red accents.
    How much were the custom graphics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Graphics were $51. Go China.

mtbr member
    Are any of you planning on using your Carbon 29er wheels for a Monster Cross style bike? I'm thinking about running some wider (38-42) tires on my cyclocross bike and the "normal" 29er rims from Light-Bicycle seem like they would work well. Are the too wide? Should I stick with the road clinchers?

Thanks!
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Ibis Hakkalugi
    Ibis Carbon Mojo

Ballstein Models
    I'm running the beefy version on my Vaya Ti. Pretty much a monstercross type build. There is a lightweight Vaya thread in the salsa forum with pics. Currently running 40's on the wide 29er rim. I have a set of 28's I plan on running for the summer if they fit.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=girlscantell;9229857]I ordered the 3k finish AM 29er rims at the end of February. They would have shipped mid-March but I did the logo thing ("Made in China" in Mandarin). They had someone design the logo and then someone else make it. That took a week. I ended up receiving the rims on April 3rd, I believe. So, here they are: My "Made in China" rims, DT Revos, DT 240's. BTW, that's Cafe Latex all over the tires. Tires seated great with Rhythm strips, but the sidewalls leaked. That's a whole other forum.
    /QUOTE]

Like the 3k nude carbon finish very nice setup with the dt revultion spokes and 240sl hubs, thinking to make the same setup...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll post a ride report as soon as I get these tires to seal up.

mtbr member
    girlscantell

I'm really sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but that Chinese writing actually says "One day soon we will take over your country and make you our slaves".

Try not worry, I'm sure most people won't know. Just try not to stop for too long when you're riding near other people, especially if they look Chinese.

I wonder if that's grounds for a warranty claim?

mtbr member
    Last weekend testride with the "Nancy-Racing" Carbon wheels.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q2O_KQDWvsM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are just awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Napfgeist View Post
    Last weekend testride with the "Nancy-Racing" Carbon wheels.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q2O_KQDWvsM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They are just awesome.
    Wow! No exploding wheels, whaddayaknow

Just finished the build of my front wheel with the AM rims, up for a testride in a few days but judging from the build they seem awesome.

mtbr member
    Which outer layer and/or finish do you think would have less de-lamination issues from rock scratches and gouges? I get lots of scratches through the anodizing finish on my aluminum rims from rock garden carnage. Would the tighter weave keep any tears in the fiber from spreading? Or are the smaller fibers more likely to be severed all the way through? I'm also thinking the gloss would add another layer of protection from scratch damage.
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

meh
    the cf resins will be harder than any glossy/matte finish, wont affect the durability of the rim...cosmetically, one might show more scratches than the other though
    as for outer weave, some frame manufacturers say a 3K weaved outer layer has a bit of an advantage over UD, but I wouldnt expect any sort of durability aid in these rims really
    you are better off getting the finish and outer layer you think looks best, and not over thinking it

banned
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    Wow! No exploding wheels, whaddayaknow

Just finished the build of my front wheel with the AM rims, up for a testride in a few days but judging from the build they seem awesome.
    Bro-your bars are upside down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroSole View Post
    Bro-your bars are upside down.
    No - thats a Salsa Pro Moto Flat bar 17° bend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Got my am rims laced up to American classic hubs w ceramic bearings. Spokes were DT revolution. Used one layer of Stan's tape and mounted specialized fast trak 2.2 tires with no sealant and a floor pump very easily. I let them sit over night to allow the tape to set. They were both very low on air the next am. I then added Stan's and they seated very easily again. T I have a pair of roval control sl carbon wheels as well. I have to say that in my two rides on these new wheels I much prefer them to my rovals. I don't notice a difference in stiffness, but the new wheels are much smoother and I love the wider contact patch with the wider rims. I ran my pressure at 21 in the back and 20 up front with no issues. I think the smoothness is likely from the ceramic bearings. I actually think I may sell my rovals and build up another set of these if they withstand the test of time.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Just ordered a set.
    Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) - light-bicycle

Building with AM Classic 350 hubs converted to 10mm thru bolt. Not sure on spokes yet. Not sure on frame yet. Might go Spearfish 1, but might build a rigid gravel grinder with an FM056 or both and just swap the wheels back and forth.

Edit - Can't share wheels with the above builds, need the Spearfish 2 frame...
    Kind of curious how this would hold up for 2 to 3x a week riding of trails under a 240 pound clydesdale? If it'll work, I may just build up a set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Received my set of 12k, matte finish heavier roving built wheels yesterday. The red Novatec 881/882 15mm/142*12 hubs look really nice although I wish I could take the tasteful brand stickers off them just because that's how I roll. I wouldn't claim I"m a wheel expert, but the rim finish is excellent inside and out and the wheels are straight and true and overall look great. I like the 12k finish but as others have mentioned its pretty subtle, you can barely see it once there is a layer of dirt.

Only complaint was I ordered them March 5th and only received them yesterday. This was most likely due to ordering the rarer 12k finish as well as a wait on the hub - Nancy indicated they had a manufacturing problem with the hub axles. So lead time could be a consideration for you. I mocked up the wheels in my Stumpjumper/Fox and everything fit fine.

Total cost delivered was $613 as the 881 hubs are a little more expensive than the other option.

Last year the idea of a carbon wheelset seemed like a fantasy, and now with the Rovals that came with my SJ and these I have two carbon wheelsets. I AM THE 1% !!!

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Last year the idea of a carbon wheelset seemed like a fantasy, and now with the Rovals that came with my SJ and these I have two carbon wheelsets. I AM THE 1% !!!
    lmao

take some pics if you can of the hubs since i dont think anyones gotten them yet, and 12K weave as most are the 3K

mtbr member
    Got my am rims laced up to American classic hubs w ceramic bearings. Spokes were DT revolution. Used one layer of Stan's tape and mounted specialized fast trak 2.2 tires with no sealant and a floor pump very easily. I let them sit over night to allow the tape to set. They were both very low on air the next am. I then added Stan's and they seated very easily again. T I have a pair of roval control sl carbon wheels as well. I have to say that in my two rides on these new wheels I much prefer them to my rovals. I don't notice a difference in stiffness, but the new wheels are much smoother and I love the wider contact patch with the wider rims. I ran my pressure at 21 in the back and 20 up front with no issues. I think the smoothness is likely from the ceramic bearings. I actually think I may sell my rovals and build up another set of these if they withstand the test of time

Thanks for that report. I recently went over to Stans Flows and def like the wider rim too. I def going to get the wider carbon rim in 29 and build up to some Hadleys. What is the POE on the american classic hubs? Also, where your Fastrak 2.2 2bliss?

mtbr member
    Received my set of 12k, matte finish heavier roving built wheels yesterday. The red Novatec 881/882 15mm/142*12 hubs look really nice although I wish I could take the tasteful brand stickers off them just because that's how I roll. I wouldn't claim I"m a wheel expert, but the rim finish is excellent inside and out and the wheels are straight and true and overall look great. I like the 12k finish but as others have mentioned its pretty subtle, you can barely see it once there is a layer of dirt.

Only complaint was I ordered them March 5th and only received them yesterday. This was most likely due to ordering the rarer 12k finish as well as a wait on the hub - Nancy indicated they had a manufacturing problem with the hub axles. So lead time could be a consideration for you. I mocked up the wheels in my Stumpjumper/Fox and everything fit fine.

Total cost delivered was $613 as the 881 hubs are a little more expensive than the other option.

Thanks so much for the update! These will definitely be my next set of wheels...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does anyone know the rim width for the "light-bicycle" tubular road wheels? Thinking about building up a set for CX season.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

meh
    ask light bicycle

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    ask light bicycle

exactly

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Sweet! I won a set of brakes in a raffle, and I think I can flip them for the amount of some of these rims.

Car-boners, here I come!!

These AM rims are going to be awesome on my trailbike.
    nice!
    i couldn't help myself and ordered a set for the Raijin today.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

ballbuster
    Sweet! I won a set of brakes in a raffle, and I think I can flip them for the amount of some of these rims.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post

PM me details on those brakes My buddy is looking for a set of new brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Thanks for that report. I recently went over to Stans Flows and def like the wider rim too. I def going to get the wider carbon rim in 29 and build up to some Hadleys. What is the POE on the american classic hubs? Also, where your Fastrak 2.2 2bliss?
    Not sure what you mean by POE? The tires are sworks 2bliss.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tonloc08 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by POE? The tires are sworks 2bliss.
    POE= Points Of Engagement

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    POE= Points Of Engagement
    24 I believe. Rovals are 32 if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    Does anyone know the rim width for the "light-bicycle" tubular road wheels? Thinking about building up a set for CX season.
    O/T: i did ask about wider road tubulars when i spoke to light-bicycle last week and was told no on the wider road tubulars.

Yishun and Farsport however are both doing 23mm wide tubulars.

personally, i was interested in running wider road tubbies for aero and comfort reasons, but by the looks of it the 23mm wide tubbies are being sold as cyclocross rims so i'm doubtful about their ability to meet my desired aims. haven't done any weight comparisons.

based on the level of customer service shown by LB in this thread, i'd be happier buying narrower rims from LB than by trying my hand at wider rims from one of the other suppliers. next wheels will be track wheels though so leading edge aero is king...

mtbr member
    24 I believe. Rovals are 32 if I remember correctly

Thanks

Sup
    Rovals are 36

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    exactly
    I did. No answer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cha_cha_ View Post
    O/T: i did ask about wider road tubulars when i spoke to light-bicycle last week and was told no on the wider road tubulars.

Yishun and Farsport however are both doing 23mm wide tubulars.

personally, i was interested in running wider road tubbies for aero and comfort reasons, but by the looks of it the 23mm wide tubbies are being sold as cyclocross rims so i'm doubtful about their ability to meet my desired aims. haven't done any weight comparisons.

based on the level of customer service shown by LB in this thread, i'd be happier buying narrower rims from LB than by trying my hand at wider rims from one of the other suppliers. next wheels will be track wheels though so leading edge aero is king...
    Yeah, you knew exactly what I was going after. I think I will just build up some major toms this year.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Jumped in too.. (Advice!?)

Ordered up 3 Nancy-Wide hoops..

1. Am Classic hubs
    2. Light Bike hoops
    3. Alloy nippies

4. Torn between the following (150 lb Cat1 fwiw..) Dt Revs/Dt Aerolites/CX rays...

5. Also torn between 3 cross lace in rear vs 2 cross lace in rear

Also, thx to MF for some advice yesterday...

Anyone have ideas/thoughts about #4 and #5?????????

thx

PS..Sorry if I missed anything in the 1000+ posts. I read most of them believe it or not...yikes..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Preston, please post some pics when you have a chance ......thanks !

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I'm ready to take the plunge with these rims, but the LB site does not show the 27mm outer width any more (only the 30mm) - what's up? What wheel builder are you using for custom builds with these rims? Does LB build with Am Classic hubs?
    M

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I finally received my replacement rim (free) for the previous issue on bead section. The new rim is absolutely FLAWLESS!! Better finish inside than all 4 others rims I already have (including the Roval...). I chose the 28h upon the 24h model beacause the 24h rim is already mounted on a cheap 24h rear hub and is probably usable. I asked to LB to build a complete front wheel for me, standard 9mm novatec hub and pillar 1420 (bladed) spokes. The building seems ok but they used similar lenght of spokes for the 2 sides. Normally, there's a little difference beteween the 2 sides but it's sound cheaper to me to use same spoke on 2 sides... I'm not affraid to use these front wheel, it looks so sweet!!!! 707g (Nancy told me they have one 419g rim on hand and ask me if i'm interested to have them build) So I have a heavier rim on 28h build novatec d711. It completely rules!!!!

I said few months ago: I will test the lateral stiffness of some complete wheels, i'll do it but, I'm busy by now... Wait few weeks... :-) Until my wife gave birth of my 2nd children... I will have the time to do some tests!

Here's a small movie of my after work soft and cool ride!

Bike ride - YouTube
    mat g

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm not much of a photographer but here is some closeup of the front and rear wheel. you can't even see the rear hub, sorry. I did have a better photo of the wheels but accidentally erased it and I'm very lazy. These things come with some kind of cool looking bladed spokes. We'll see how they last.

Also, I like to say the name of my new tires ---

HANS DAMPF !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-rearwheel1.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-frontwheel1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Are these from light bike?

mtbr member
    I see most people are building their own wheels.

I am in need of a set, and I was thinking on doing the wider rims with the Novatec 881 hubs (for the 15mm axle). Then perhaps rebuilding them this winter with a different set of hubs.

Are the Novatecs decent enough I should be able to get 6 months of racing in on them? Are they just a bit heavy, or unreliable?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm not much of a photographer but here is some closeup of the front and rear wheel. you can't even see the rear hub, sorry. I did have a better photo of the wheels but accidentally erased it and I'm very lazy. These things come with some kind of cool looking bladed spokes. We'll see how they last.

Also, I like to say the name of my new tires ---

HANS DAMPF !

So you didn't clean your bike before putting on the new wheels ?....kidding
    Thanks for the pics. I checked w/ Nancy and the 12 x 142 hub is 5 weeks out, so I have a bit of a wait

mtbr member

Might finally take the jump ...

Have been following this thread closely for sometime. Thought about initially getting just the rims, but that would end up being costly ... around $650 - 750 with shipping costs, spokes, wheel build, and a new front hub.

Contacted the guy who builds wheel, Bike Empowerment, but he seems to add another middle man to the cost scale, so no go.

Read up on the Rotaz hubs that Light Bicycle offers. It seems they are American Classic knock offs. Nancy said they will have more colors in a month. So for $520 plus shipping I feel this might be the way I need to go to really have "cheap chinese carbon" wheels.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    I am 200lb ride a spearfish and would like to get a set of the wider rims. How many spokes would I want for trail use? I read elsewhere that you can get away with less spokes because the carbon is much stiffer. True?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    I am 200lb ride a spearfish and would like to get a set of the wider rims. How many spokes would I want for trail use? I read elsewhere that you can get away with less spokes because the carbon is much stiffer. True?
    A while back (page ~15) there was some discussion was had on this, and it was mentioned that by going with 32 spokes would allow some interchangeability between with other rims and hubs, since it is a common count. ie. switching to Stan's for some reason.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So you didn't clean your bike before putting on the new wheels ?
    I don't understand - it is clean !

mtbr member
    May 2011
    are most of you doing the matte or glossy finish?

mtbr member
    are most of you doing the matte or glossy finish?
    My light-bicycle.com rims are the matte finish. I've been finding that it scratches easily where rocks and gravel have bounced off the rims. The scratches are only cosmetic but silver in colour and noticeable.

Apparently the gloss finish is more robust and won't scratch as easily.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    My light-bicycle.com rims are the matte finish. I've been finding that it scratches easily where rocks and gravel have bounced off the rims. The scratches are only cosmetic but silver in colour and noticeable.

Apparently the gloss finish is more robust and won't scratch as easily.
    I was wondering about which is easier to clean... matte or glossy. I would guess glossy, but figured glossy would show scratches more, too. So... I dunno. I like the matte look, but I would think mud would stick to it more readily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yes, but why worry about it. I'd say go with the norm 32h 3-cross. You will probably save more grams by using cx-rays than to use less spokes.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the newb question what are XC rays?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cx-rays are bladed spokes made by sapim.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Sorry for the newb question what are XC rays?
    Arguably the best spokes money can buy

mtbr member
    Does light-bike sell these as an option?

meh
    dont think so, contact them
    the are about 3 times the cost of revo/comps theough, if that is important to you

banned
    Sep 2007
    As a Clyde that would get the wider rim version for the 120kg fatboy amount of material in the rim, versus the racerboi weight weenie version.... my question is this... how does the quality of the ride vary from, say riding on a set of Stan's Flows or Sun Rhyno lites? This would be on a full suspension bike, a Niner Jet in an XL.

These are now tubeless configuration also?

transmitter~receiver
    Does light-bike sell these as an option?
    I don't think so.

FWIW, CX Rays perform exactly the same as Lasers for about 3x the money, so they are only "arguably the best spokes money can buy" if you insist on the look of bladed spokes.
    Otherwise they are arguably a waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    As a Clyde that would get the wider rim version for the 120kg fatboy amount of material in the rim, versus the racerboi weight weenie version.... my question is this... how does the quality of the ride vary from, say riding on a set of Stan's Flows or Sun Rhyno lites? This would be on a full suspension bike, a Niner Jet in an XL.

I can't tell a difference between the flows and the wide carbons unless I stop and look at my wheel.

Also, my narrow set of carbons actually weighed 10 grams more per than my set of wider ones.

odd

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I don't think so.

FWIW, CX Rays perform exactly the same as Lasers for about 3x the money, so they are only "arguably the best spokes money can buy" if you insist on the look of bladed spokes.
    Otherwise they are arguably a waste of money.
    Agreed. Also, the aero spokes won't help much unless you are racing road/tri at 25mph avg..

They do look great though imo

mtbr member
    Guys with the Novatec hubs what do you recommend for a trail bike with a 15mm from and a 135x10 rear? Also do they make anything that would work with a 135 rear bolt thru?

Looks like they make two versions of the 4in1

D992SB

and

D882SB

I take it these are what you want on the rear from these guys?

Novatec Hubs

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Agreed. Also, the aero spokes won't help much unless you are racing road/tri at 25mph avg..

They do look great though imo
    I went with CX-Ray because I'm still fairly new at building wheels and didn't want to worry about spoke torsion. I built my first wheel using CX-Rays and the 50mm carbon clinchers for my road bike...very easy with my bootlegged spoke holder.

meh
    Guys with the Novatec hubs what do you recommend for a trail bike with a 15mm from and a 135x10 rear? Also do they make anything that would work with a 135 rear bolt thru?

Looks like they make two versions of the 4in1

I take it these are what you want on the rear from these guys?

Novatec Hubs
    if you want to run thru axles or have conversion abilities yes, one of those two
    contact light-bicycle about the availability of these hubs, cost, and axle configurations...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post

These are now tubeless configuration also?
    My AM carbon rims seem stiffer to me than my Flows - at least on my bikes (JET/RIP/DosNiner). Granted, my Flows are on the I9 Enduro wheels - and a lot could be said about those brittle little aluminum spokes I9 uses. Not to mention, they are about 300g lighter for the wheels.

Laying the bike over at speed into corners the carbon rims toe the line hard and hold it tight. That, combined with a full suspension sled like the JET 9 working to keep things glued to the ground makes for a very nice combo IMO. I hesitate to say it, but they might just be "too stiff" for a lot of HT's. But that gets back to adding tapered steerers, 15mm TA and super-stiff wheels altogether might be getting a bit more than we need (but what we asked for).

I wouldn't hesitate to say for a big guy, even going to the AM carbon rim drilled for 36H (knowing you're using a FS) wouldn't be a bad thing.

BB

Members who have read this thread: 568