Page 109 of 252 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 159 209 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 6282
    KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Bontrager Rhythm strip weight: 35g (strip) + 8g (valve) = 43gBB
    Admittedly picking nits, but the two Rhythm strips that I had my hands on in the real world weighed 42g each. (20% over spec.)

the train keeps rollin
    Weight Weeners should use Stans yellow tape, people who want the most secure tubeless interface should use the Bontrager strips.
    beaver hunt

ballbuster

And I'll add....

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    The wider Light Bicycle rims are an all mountain bike rim. Outside of comparing pure weight to the Crests - which are far from being an all mountain capable rim - there is not much reason to compare the two. Comparing to the Flow (or other metal rim brands of comparable width), or AM carbon rims of similar width from other companies might be the better view in terms of targeted use and weight comparisons.

I would use the following average weights for comparing the strip and valve for a 29"er wheel since it includes the valve:

Bontrager Rhythm strip weight: 35g (strip) + 8g (valve) = 43g
    NoTubes weight: 6.5g (valve) + 8.5g (Stans wide yellow tape for a 29"er run) = 15g

My Light Bicycle wheels with the wider AM rims/AC hubs/double butted spokes weigh 1540g + Bonty Strips and Valves = 1626g

Crest Rims with DT Swiss 240 disc hubs/SuperComp spokes/yellow tape and valves = 1640g.

I use both sets of wheels.

BB
    I just rode at Annadel on my trail bike with these rims. I was pounding down Lawndale and other rocky trails there with the highest confidence. These rims are very stiff, very point and shoot. I ran a crest rim on my front wheel for about a month. I can't say it was confidence inspiring at all. For similar weight, the light bikes am carbon rim is a clear upgrade over the crest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Had my first rim failure today. This was this rims first ride though as i have been running a pre-built wheelset off them for about 5 months now with no issues. Luck of the draw i guess.

This rim is laced to an Ethirteen TRS+ hub. See how I go with warranty.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0504.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0498.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I placed my order over a month ago and am still waiting on my shipment. Not a happy customer now.
    My rims arrived today, exactly 42 days after placing my order. I'm not sure why the delay, but I do appreciate Brian's frequent contacts.

The wider 29er rims look great, and weigh 371 gms each. Will build them up with DT 240s and Aerolite spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    These look really interesting!! How do you think the wider 26" rim would hold up under a 165lb rider on a Mojo HD140? Would the standard rims be strong enough, I've never bent or killed a wheel before, so I'm pretty good at keeping things together!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Bruce: I just got 3 Bontrager stirps today and a put all 3 on the scale at one time and it was 130 grams. My first 2 weighed 44 grams each. You must have hit the lite weight lottery on the rim strips since all of mine are around 43-44. I also have Crests and these and feel that the comparison is good since these rims only actually hold the tire less than .5 wider and the weights are similar. I also have a set of Flow wheels and while they are much stiffer/stronger than the Crests, they weigh more but they hold the tire wider than the LB wheels. I can only compare the rims I have. On paper the new FlowEX rims are going to hold the tire much wider overall and they basically weigh the same as the old Flow's so I think someone that needed the extra volume would prefer them. The FlowEX rims might have the problem of holding the tire too wide such that at high lean angles you effectively have no side knobs. This would be tire dependent.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    These look really interesting!! How do you think the wider 26" rim would hold up under a 165lb rider on a Mojo HD140? Would the standard rims be strong enough, I've never bent or killed a wheel before, so I'm pretty good at keeping things together!
    I have the wider 26" 3k weave normal weight of 370g each on my Yeti ASR5 (140mm forks) and have been abusing them on the Quantocks rocks and roots with the occasional drop/jump with no problems. They hold the line very well and make landings feel much more secure. I run the bonty strips with continental rubber queens 2.2 ust tyres. When I get some spare cash I will be purchasing spare rims for when/if they fail as they are superb and will not be going back to alloy, highly recommended.

EDIT: Forgot to say I'm 190lb kitted out with full pack and ready to ride.
    Last edited by ruscle; 11-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    My rims arrived today, exactly 42 days after placing my order. I'm not sure why the delay, but I do appreciate Brian's frequent contacts.

The wider 29er rims look great, and weigh 371 gms each. Will build them up with DT 240s and Aerolite spokes.
    I placed my order for wide rims about 10 days ago (10/27) and I got notice that they shipped yesterday. They estimated 4 days to ship, so 2 weeks total.

mtbr member
    A bit of whoring to keep the topic documented with images:

Wider rim / CX-Ray / Tune King MK 20mm. Still in love with these rims!

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by SwintOrSlude View Post
    A bit of whoring to keep the topic documented with images:

Wider rim / CX-Ray / Tune King MK 20mm. Still in love with these rims!

http://monimag.eu/upload/1048/2012-09-24%2018.54.26.jpg
    Weight? What about rear wheel? Tune there? Quality? So many questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Weight? What about rear wheel? Tune there? Quality? So many questions.
    Front wheel is 683g without the Bontrager strip (46g with valve).

For the rear wheel I wanted something very stiff so I went with a Hope Pro II bolt-up (10mm bolts), upgraded to Ti bolts, with bolts the wheel comes in at 924g without Bontrager strip. (Wider rim / CX-ray / Hope pro II boltup+Ti bolts)

I'm VERY happy about the tubeless setup which has been flawless for me (and I've burped many notubes setups). I just wish they made a 250-280g rim for XC now!
    Last edited by SwintOrSlude; 11-08-2012 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    good whellsss

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ...laced in my 4th pair of LB rims .... good to work with and very nice to ride...

my "wide tires wheels"(DT240/Hope/CN Spokes) in use:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zweigelt View Post
    ...laced in my 4th pair of LB rims .... good to work with and very nice to ride...

my "wide tires wheels"(DT240/Hope/CN Spokes) in use:

wow nice quiring, and scenery.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks

i have forgotten to tell you, i use my rims(wider 29") with cutted to size Duct Tape...
    Very good to handle, and no burps(2.3 S-Works Ground Control) yet...

Thanks Brian for the nice contact and your perfect and fast service!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was looking at the light-bicycles site and the wider 29er wheels look interesting for my Endurance XC racing machine. Using Crests currently, and these seem like they would be about the same weight but much stiffer and also stronger.

Does anyone build/sell these with different hubs? I'd rather do a "name" hub vs the no name hub that's on their website, but don't have any desire to get it custom build here at my LBS.

I'd like to either do a ZTR hub, or AC.

Any idea?

-Tom

mtbr member

why

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    I was looking at the light-bicycles site and the wider 29er wheels look interesting for my Endurance XC racing machine. Using Crests currently, and these seem like they would be about the same weight but much stiffer and also stronger.

Does anyone build/sell these with different hubs? I'd rather do a "name" hub vs the no name hub that's on their website, but don't have any desire to get it custom build here at my LBS.

I'd like to either do a ZTR hub, or AC.

Any idea?

-Tom
    why not get a local shop to build them up for you. otherwise you will end up paying much more for them with a middlemans markup. the whole point to these rims is bypassing much of the price gouging by buying them direct from the source.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    I'm 208#, and they feel solid to me. They feel more solid than the WTB SpeedDiscs I replaced, as well as the DT X470s and Sun Inferno 23s, although the Infernos are the most solid of the alu rims.

I don't tend to tweak rims... once in a while. I don't do big drops or anything, but I do plow rock gardens at speed.

I think you'll be fine, but it all depends on where and how you ride. If you ride sloppy and land sideways on a regular basis, all bets are off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker View Post
    why not get a local shop to build them up for you. otherwise you will end up paying much more for them with a middlemans markup. the whole point to these rims is bypassing much of the price gouging by buying them direct from the source.
    Doesn't seem that there is a local shop here (in town Atlanta) that won't price gouge me anyways. So I might as well see if anyone is building these with custom hubs and shipping em around.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldm8 View Post
    Had my first rim failure today. This was this rims first ride though as i have been running a pre-built wheelset off them for about 5 months now with no issues. Luck of the draw i guess.

This rim is laced to an Ethirteen TRS+ hub. See how I go with warranty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg 
Views:	2557 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	735779

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg 
Views:	2191 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	735780
    What happened? Big hit?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    My second light build done! AC hubs, Revolution spokes, alloy nipples:
    Front: 670
    Rear 780
    Total 1420

Adding skewers, Bontrager rim strips and Stan's valve stems=ready to mount tires + 1650

I didn't go with quite as much tension since theses are much thinner spokes and the hubs are not as stout. But, I have been riding the other build of Shimano M529 hubs and Alpine III spokes and they are so solid I think they will last a lifetime. This build, while lighter by over 500 grams (and around $300 more) looks to be close to equally stout. The super cheap Shimano hubs, while weighting a lot, are quite as hell. I am now constantly running up on deer, squirrels, foxes, and coyotes. If the American Classic hubs are this quiet, I will probably hit some wildlife in the next year.

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Front: 670
    Rear 780
    Total 1420
    Oh? I guess I need to re-calibrate my abacus.
    Last edited by KLF; 11-08-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Much better line

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Well my rims came in around 380 or less and the AC hubs are very light and the Revolution spokes are the lightest round DT spokes. The Revolution spokes come with brass nipples, but I substituted alloy nipples. These are going on a SS bike and the engagement of the AC rear hub is quick but not instantaneous. In other words, it engages not all at once. I read a review on 29inches.com and they liked it and so far, it looks like it will be good from dry testing. I am going to mount tires this weekend and first ride is probably Tues.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Upated carbon 29er clincher rims weight at 350g each piece, and come with Novatec 711/712SB hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Sapim nipples, the weight of comeplete carbon 29er wheelset can be around 1430g/pair.