Page 101 of 163 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,050 of 8107
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Lightbikes has the 35mm wide hookless available, just not on the website as a option yet. They are $180 each before the shipping and the paypal fee, a single rim will run about $230 shipped.
    Other than not having the bead hook, how is this better or whatever? Same width? Lighter? Stronger? And if stronger, how would one perceive this? I have two sets of the wide rims with the hooks and could not be happier particularly for the price.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Other than not having the bead hook, how is this better or whatever? Same width? Lighter? Stronger? And if stronger, how would one perceive this? I have two sets of the wide rims with the hooks and could not be happier particularly for the price.
    The bead hook may help keep high pressure tires from blowing off the rim but will not do much for MTB tires.

From one of Derby's posts.

"If inflating under 65 psi and using TR bead centering rims, then bead hooks are useless. We will probably see rims without bead hooks become the standard for mountain bikes in a few years, and tire bead design will follow.

Having no bead hooks allows a wider inside rim width. And the rim edge can be thicker and more durable without adding more weight compared to a rim with bead hooks.
    "http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/bead-hook-less-rims-they-future-836810.html

For years I ran a heavy (675g) 36mm rim on my 26" AM bike and really noticed the added sidewall support to the tire from the wider rim over my 24mm XC wheels, especially when running lower pressure on bigger tires. I am sure the law of diminishing returns kicks in for any tire/rim combination at some point.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

EX-RoadLice
    Lightbikes has the 35mm wide hookless available, just not on the website as a option yet. They are $180 each before the shipping and the paypal fee, a single rim will run about $230 shipped.
    There is a new kind of 29er hookless rim (35mm outer width & 25mm depth) with new process. It's also tubeless-compatible. The weight is 460+/-15g(DH version)
    Xiamen Light-Bicycle Carbon Fiber Parts Industry Co., Ltd.
    NO.308.Xingqian Road, Jimei District, Xiamen City 361000, Fujian Province, China
    Tel: 86-0592-6254228

Forty grams of epoxy and carbon bonus goodness!
    With Alpine III spokes, those might last a bit!?
    Must resist.....
    Some body stop me or I swear I will...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Got my selfie christmas presents yesterday and today. Rims are beautiful, really really beautiful. I've mailed envelopes heavier than both rims and the box they came in!

350g and 357g! Unbelievably light. I was expecting 380-400g so no complaints. This one $340 purchase should drop over half a pound of rotational weight from my 26.5 Lb Long travel 29er. That's unreal value for the money.

I defy you to name another place you could make that kind of weight savings and add stiffness and strength for any money (stomach staples aside). You could spend thousands on parts and accessories and never touch that kind of savings especially considering my starting point is M980 components.

Oh FWIW I got the One Up components 42 tooth sprocket in the mail yesterday. Merry christmas to me...

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    350g and 357g! Unbelievably light. I was expecting 380-400g so no complaints. This one $340 purchase should drop over half a pound of rotational weight from my 26.5 Lb Long travel 29er. That's unreal value for the money.
    Yep, I like that the wheelset I'm building (LB hookless XC rims, Sapim Lasers and Bitex hubs) cost $250.00 less than ONE ENVE rim.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sweet just had the email telling me the wider 29er rims I ordered have been dispatched. Now just to decide what hubs to use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon8500 View Post
    Sweet just had the email telling me the wider 29er rims I ordered have been dispatched. Now just to decide what hubs to use.
    When did you order yours? I ordered mine just before Xmas and I was told the other day mine are in sanding now. I'm hoping they ship before the Chinese New Year starts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    When did you order yours? I ordered mine just before Xmas and I was told the other day mine are in sanding now. I'm hoping they ship before the Chinese New Year starts.
    Aw crap, ordered a wheelset last week hoping to beat the chinese new year, looks like they won't make it. My company get their plastic molded in china, its unreal how everything shuts down and how slowly they come back on line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How long do they shut down for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen99 View Post
    How long do they shut down for?
    Not chinese so not sure how it works in Light bike's area but its 15 days long. Everyone goes home and comes back at the same time. The gridlock is supposedly worst than our thanksgiving/christmas travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post

Sorry just got back online. I ordered mine on January the 7th. Just checked the tracking and my rims have left the sorting center.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ordered a set before Christmas. They shipped on 1-8. According to the tracking:

2014-01-08 11:34:00 XIAMEN Posting
    2014-01-08 12:29:13 XIAMEN Arrival at Sorting Center
    2014-01-08 13:46:30 XIAMEN Despatch from Sorting Center
    2014-01-08 21:24:59 XIAMEN Despatch from Sorting Center

And that's the last update. I am wondering if the "posting" means that they are in transit from China to US?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachua View Post
    I ordered a set before Christmas. They shipped on 1-8. According to the tracking:

2014-01-08 11:34:00 XIAMEN Posting
    2014-01-08 12:29:13 XIAMEN Arrival at Sorting Center
    2014-01-08 13:46:30 XIAMEN Despatch from Sorting Center
    2014-01-08 21:24:59 XIAMEN Despatch from Sorting Center

And that's the last update. I am wondering if the "posting" means that they are in transit from China to US?
    That's pretty much what I have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That's pretty much what I have.
    in the email they said it normally takes 4-7 days for delivery. Today will have been 7 days if you don't count Jan 8th. Maybe I'll come how to a surprise. Now I just have to figure out what hubs to use. These will be used on my CX bike.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Chinese New Year starts January 31 st 2014 I think ?
    I better hurry and order mine quick.
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    Chinese New Year starts January 31 st 2014 I think ?
    I better hurry and order mine quick.
    Exactly. Still 2 weeks away from the start of the new year, lasting til the 14th of Feb.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey so where are all y'all getting the ERD from? Page 18 has mention of it and if I remember correctly the ERD for the 21mm wide XC rims is supposedly 603, but didn't people say it was closer to 601 or something?

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Exactly. Still 2 weeks away from the start of the new year, lasting til the 14th of Feb.
    Thats what I thought I need to get a job done hopefully this coming week my cash flow has been going in the wrong direction have my Chris King Hubs just need to pay for rims and spokes and labor.

Hey so where are all y'all getting the ERD from? Page 18 has mention of it and if I remember correctly the ERD for the 21mm wide XC rims is supposedly 603, but didn't people say it was closer to 601 or something?
    I'm having Lace Mine 29 do mine so he will figure mine out.
    If I were you I would wait till you get them from what i have read the ERD varies.
    ​​
    SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    At 180lbs, is 28H a good option for the hookless XC rims? XC/race use. Thinking about ordering this weekend

ballbuster
    Thats what I thought I need to get a job done hopefully this coming week my cash flow has been going in the wrong direction have my Chris King Hubs just need to pay for rims and spokes and labor.

If I were you I would wait till you get them from what i have read the ERD varies.
    How about some gawdang punctuation? I had to re-read that like 4 times to figure out what you were getting at.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    How about some gawdang punctuation? I had to re-read that like 4 times to figure out what you were getting at.
    Hmmm ?
    That's what I thought.
    I need to get a job done hopefully this coming week my cash flow has been going in the wrong direction.
    I have my Chris King Hubs just need to pay for rims and spokes and labor.

Better ?
    HTH
    ​​
    SRAM XX1

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My rims are now in UK customs. Did not expect it to be that quick!

Ski during the off-season
    My rims are now in UK customs.
    Hope they make it through quickly. My rims made it to the US in a day or two less than that estimated by LB, but as they arrived at US Customs in mid-Dec., they spent 1-2 weeks there.

ballbuster
    Hmmm ?
    That's what I thought.
    I need to get a job done hopefully this coming week(period). My cash flow has been going in the wrong direction.
    I have my Chris King Hubs(period). I just need to pay for rims, (and removed) spokes and labor.

I'm having Lace Mine 29 do mine(comma), so he will figure mine out.
    If I were you(comma), I would wait till you get them (period). From what i have read (comma), the ERD varies.

Better ?
    HTH
    Now, that's better.

Sorry to get all grammar nazi on you. I know it's a doooshy thing to do (on my part). I'm sick of having to re-read stuff a few times to figure it out. Just putting periods in at the ends of sentences would go a long way towards making things flow.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Recieved two wheelsets XX1

Ordered 30 mm and 27 mm hookless rims with Novatec D771/D772 hubs.Both set up 15 mm front 12-142 rear.Weights were 800 grams for both rear wheels which surprised me.Thought the 27s would be lighter than the 30s.Fronts are 30mm weighed 685 grams. 27mm weighed 675 grams. Wheels look awesome and aired right up tubeless with racing ralphs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Which company? Are you riding these all mountian or xc? Pics would be nice..
    Thanks

mtbr member
    It sounds like my rim order placed on January 12th will not be shipped prior to the Chinese New Year Holiday (Jan 31-Feb 15th). Anyway, I order the new process wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher (tubeless-compatible) with a special request that both rims be 400g rather than the standard 390g. They will notify me when rims have been shipped and provide a tracking number. It sounds like I will have to pick up the rims from the post office and pay taxes, "We will declare the value at USD60 for 2pcs rims and write "sample only" & "bike rims" on the delivery document.
    Then you do not pay much for the tax. Is it OK for you? If it is not OK, please let me know what value you like us to declare on the delivery document."

I'm considering going with brass nipples to negate the corrosion some users have experienced between aluminum nipples and carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I had my first ride on these things. Must say I'm pretty impressed!

I had two of the "wider am" rims built up locally with hope pro II, DT Comp spokes, and brass nipples. I was told they were some of the easiest rims the mechanic had ever built. In fact he was so impressed he ordered a couple for himself.

Completed weight was 1680g. I added one layer of specialized tubeless tape and some valve stems. Schwalbe tires sealed up easily with the compressor. No "pop" sound like most other rims though.

I got about 30miles on them over the weekend through some pretty technical and rocky trails. Factoring in some of the inevitable placebo effect I still think I could feel a pretty significant difference in acceleration and cornering stiffness coming off the Flow's (not ex) that I was running before. I'm not sure if it was my imagination but I also felt like they dampened vibration very well. The trail I rode was littered with small bumps and rough surfaces and It seemed like they were eating a little bit of that up. I rode a couple 2.5ft drops, and some nasty rock gardens and they held up just fine.

Very happy so far, we'll see how they hold up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Oh yeah, pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-carbonwhls.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-carbnwhls2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've been trying to keep track of what everyone has been using for spokes and their tubeless set-up for the Light-Bicycle rims. Hope this helps:

Spokes:

Sapim Laser spokes
    Sapim CX-Ray
    DT Swiss Supercomp spokes
    DT Aerolite

Tubeless Set-up:

Bontrager Rhythm symmetrical strip with a Stan's valve
    Gorilla Tape

Brass Nipples:
    DS Brass Nipples?
    Pillar Brass Nipples?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Finally have the LB Bead hook-less 22mm inside rims built up. Sapim Laser spokes, Hex head Alum nipples, Hope hubs. 1589 grams. Tubeless set up is Stans wide tape and valve and they mounted up flawlessly. One ride and I was VERY impressed (shocked is more accurate) with the added stiffness over an Arch EX build with the same hubs, spokes with brass nipples. Sorry for the photo orientation and poor quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img-20140120-00314.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img-20140120-00313.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Another 12hr solo race in the books on my wider AM LB rims with hooks. The race was mostly XC but had three 50 yard sections of just exposed solid rock. The sections looked like a bunch of broken concrete but none of it was loose. You could easily tip toe your way through but most of us faster riders where just picking the least gnarly line and doing our best to stay light and float over it at speed. Luckily the rocks where more shaped like super size stairs so you could avoid any pointy rock/rim strikes but at the speeds we were going it felt like my carbon frame might snap at any second. I always looked down at my tires to see if they were strait each lap and nothing every happened. I've gone from worrying about my wheels to worrying about my carbon HT frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    Finally have the LB Bead hook-less 22mm inside rims built up. Sapim Laser spokes, Hex head Alum nipples, Hope hubs. 1589 grams. Tubeless set up is Stans wide tape and valve and they mounted up flawlessly. One ride and I was VERY impressed (shocked is more accurate) with the added stiffness over an Arch EX build with the same hubs, spokes with brass nipples. Sorry for the photo orientation and poor quality.
    Sounds like I'll notice a huge difference over my crest wheelset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    I've been trying to keep track of what everyone has been using for spokes and their tubeless set-up for the Light-Bicycle rims. Hope this helps:

Spokes:

Sapim Laser spokes
    Sapim CX-Ray
    DT Swiss Supercomp spokes
    DT Aerolite

Tubeless Set-up:

Bontrager Rhythm symmetrical strip with a Stan's valve
    Gorilla Tape

Brass Nipples:
    DS Brass Nipples?
    Pillar Brass Nipples?
    Can anyone give me the cliffnotes version of the advantages and disadvantages of the different spokes?

Also, what is everyone building the tension of the rims to? TIA!

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Can anyone give me the cliffnotes version of the advantages and disadvantages of the different spokes?
    The disadvantage of Rays and Aerolites vs. Revos is the price. There are no advantages unless you value the look of bladed spokes; same weight and performance at a huge cost premium.
    S.Comps are slightly thicker, which means slightly stiffer, no stronger, again at a large premium.
    You can probably guess what my go to spoke is.

Also, what is everyone building the tension of the rims to? TIA!
    No reason to go over 110-120kgf max.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen99 View Post
    Sounds like I'll notice a huge difference over my crest wheelset
    I think you will be shocked at the difference compared to Crest rims. I am about 205lbs and originally went with the Arch EX which is considerably stiffer then the Crest. So, from a Crest to this rim will be a huge difference. Bonus, the rims are 15 grams lighter each then a Crest and a little wider. Time will tell how reliable they will be.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The Crest wheels are an insignificant amount lighter, but I could really feel the difference in steering precision due to the massive amount stiffer the carbon wheels are.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    where are you guys ordering these from?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSi677 View Post
    where are you guys ordering these from?
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-facepalm_227785.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How about another facepalm for the founders of Light-Bicycle?

Many people don't even realize that it is a company name. In the age of google and search term uniqueness, it would be hard to come up with a worse brand name. Light-Bicycle, love the rims, hate the name.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facepalm_227785.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	863936
    sorry if LB or Light-Bicycle isn't your typical name to search for...

Still a simple answer would of been enough... I guess you proved the theory of there isn't no such thing as a stupid question but only a stupid answer!

Have a great day!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anyone try the bontrager rim strips in the hookless 22mm inside width rims yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    I think you will be shocked at the difference compared to Crest rims. I am about 205lbs and originally went with the Arch EX which is considerably stiffer then the Crest. So, from a Crest to this rim will be a huge difference. Bonus, the rims are 15 grams lighter each then a Crest and a little wider. Time will tell how reliable they will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    The Crest wheels are an insignificant amount lighter, but I could really feel the difference in steering precision due to the massive amount stiffer the carbon wheels are.
    I can't wait to get them built up... the difference should be substantial at 190lbs(although closer to 180 by spring... hopefully!).

Arnborg strik
    Hi
    Im going to be building a wheelset with LB hookless rims.
    Hubs are gonna be the "new" Hope 40t, spokes Sapim D-light and alu nipples.
    About the rims i cant decide on the 22mm or the 30mm inside width?

My riding is xc/trail nothing wild, and no drops over 1-2ft on occasion.
    Tires will be no bigger than Hans Dampf 2,35, and mostly a 2,25" Michelin Wildgripper.
    Frame is Transition Trans Am with a 120mm fork.

Im thinking the 22mm inside rim, will be plenty strong for me.
    Is there a reason for me, to go 30mm inside rim for my riding??

Best regards
    Thomas

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    . I guess you proved the theory of there isn't no such thing as a stupid question but only a stupid answer!

Have a great day!
    Actually the way I heard the quote was: there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people...

Just Kidding

getting my hoops built up as we speak. Excited. The tech asked if I wanted brass or Al nipples and said that the brass didn't seize with the locktight he was building with as badly. Never heard of that before but I've always built with linseed oil...went Aluminum anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Actually the way I heard the quote was: there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people...

Just Kidding

getting my hoops built up as we speak. Excited. The tech asked if I wanted brass or Al nipples and said that the brass didn't seize with the locktight he was building with as badly. Never heard of that before but I've always built with linseed oil...went Aluminum anyway.
    Loctite on the nipples? Other experienced wheelbuilders on this site would tell you to run away from that builder immediately...
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

ballbuster
    sorry if LB or Light-Bicycle isn't your typical name to search for...

Still a simple answer would of been enough... I guess you proved the theory of there isn't no such thing as a stupid question but only a stupid answer!

Have a great day!
    51 pages on this thread, LB is mentioned on 50 of them. Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    I dont have time to read 203 pages about these rims. Are the Light Bicycle hooked or hookless 29r rims going to hold up? I'm considering a set to go on my Dirty Harry hardtail to be used for XC racing, I'm 170 geared up. I'm a long time fan of American Classic and my other option is their 29r race wheel which weighs about the same. I know the AC are reliable and AC stands behind their rims, if I blow one out I can send it to them for a reasonable crash replacement. I know that tires stay on AC rims tubeless. Are there any issues with the LB rims cracking or tires blowing off?

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I dont have time to read 203 pages about these rims. Are the Light Bicycle hooked or hookless 29r rims going to hold up? I'm considering a set to go on my Dirty Harry hardtail to be used for XC racing, I'm 170 geared up. I'm a long time fan of American Classic and my other option is their 29r race wheel which weighs about the same. I know the AC are reliable and AC stands behind their rims, if I blow one out I can send it to them for a reasonable crash replacement. I know that tires stay on AC rims tubeless. Are there any issues with the LB rims cracking or tires blowing off?
    The wider American Classic and hookless from lightbikes are both new products. The hooked carbon have a good track IMO and should be no more prone to burping than Stans rims, which I have had good luck with.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    The wider American Classic and hookless from lightbikes are both new products. The hooked carbon have a good track IMO and should be no more prone to burping than Stans rims, which I have had good luck with.
    This hookless thing is just plain stupid and wrong on so many fronts......First of all Specialized did this as a cost savings measure, not an upgrade for performance. Second, when the rim loses the bead hook, the only thing keeping the tire on is the air pressure, lose the air pressure and the tire will burp or roll off. Those of you that are running higher pressures need not worry. Third, when you have a bead hook, the tire AND the bead hook share the load and work together. You are not stressing the tire alone. Fourth, by losing the bead hook you are losing lateral stiffness. The thickness of the bead accomplishes this, just like how an angle extrusion works....

To answer the ridiculous statement that cars don't, have bead hooks.....well a car tire also has much stiffer sidewall and beads. Racing Off Road trucks do in fact have bead locks.......so stupid analogy. Don't think that every new development is a good one, some are just plain stupid.

Page 101 of 163 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 111 151 ... LastLast