Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

2M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  chomxxo 
#1 ·
I've seen multiple discussions of carbon 29er frames, but no such discussion of 29er rims. Current domestic carbon rims are more expensive than one of these frames. Anybody found carbon 29er clincher rims cheap?

#511 ·
I'm no wheel building expert by any means, but I would think 28 spokes max with some high end light weight spokes would fit the bill for her.

On another note. I took my new Stumpy with the carbon wheels down some stairs and off a few 2ft drops to flat concrete last night. The stairs had around 25-30 steps and I just plowed down them. These wheels feel so stiff! I have a feeling they are gonna hold up to lots of abuse (crossing fingers)!

#515 ·
28 or 32 will be fine. The weight difference with cx rays should be about 37 grams between the two. Not that much if you ask me.

There are more replacement options out there for 32 hole stuff so a 28 hole setup might pose future compatibility issues.

For example, say you were unhappy with the rim and wanted to replace it with a Crest. But the crests only come in 32 hole for 29ers. You would have to look elsewere and compromise.

Just food for throught

#518 ·
Excellent point. I think I'll stick with 32 hole for the compatibilty reasons.

Also, is there a lighter XC version of these rims? I checked the website and only saw the 395 gram version. The XC version may suit her better since these wheels would be her race set. We got into Leadville 100 this year so the lighter the better. We could always throw the old pair, or my Havens back on for chunky rides.

#516 ·
Has anyone done a tubeless conversion successfully on the lighter XC rims? I have a set of Bontrager Rythm strips sitting around.

Light bikes is saying a set of 26" AM rims are coming out. 23mm internal width, and UST. All sounds good, except it'll be around 470 - 490 grams :( I think that's too heavy for a XC race wheelset.

So I'm thinking maybe picking up a set of light 330 gram rims, and lace them up with CX rays to my CK hubs.

#522 ·
dont think they will be UST, but similar to the 29er wide rims (they are calling those tubeless compatible, but most rims can fall into the "compatible" category)...not sure what they actually mean by this term

you sure about that weight? the 29er wides are 400g, only rated around 5g heavier than the standard rim...the 26ers standards are 330g...i could see 370-390g's...470g seems way heavy

#526 ·
I just ordered a set of 29er complete wheels from light-bicycle.com.

Novatec D711/712 hubs. Wider rims: 30mm. 28 spokes. Nancy says they'll weigh right around 1500 grams. Difference between the Novatec Hubs and Rotaz hubs was about 37 grams by my calculations.

I'll try tubeless myself. Some yellow tape, Stans valves and Stans sealant with Rocket Ron tires.

Now with the waiting...

#537 ·
To the people who are wondering about the d881 and d882 hubs. I am also thinking about ordering a complete wheelset as it would be closest to my budget.
the d882 or rear hub will and esaily convert to all of the new standards. I need a 12x142mm and this is the hub they have that will do this. it will also do 12mmx135, 10mmx135, and a 9mmXquick release.
From what I have been able to figure out prowling around on the web, the novatec hubs are a basic but serviceable hub. expect to get one season out of the stock bearings then replace them with something of good quality.
Other brands use their hub as house brands, Norco Axiom hubs are novatecs and Rocky Mountain wheeltec hubs are novatecs. I did notice that Norco is using novatec hubs as novatecs on the 2012 entry level Aurum.
Anyone who gets a prebuilt please let me know what they are like. I want to replace the stock wheels on my element 950.

#546 ·
This might work, let me know if my thinking is sound. After the wife gets her set of wheels I'll have her old Dt Swiss/Mavic TN719 wheel (DT Swiss double butted spokes). I found a thread discussing ERD of the 719s. Measurements were between 602 and 604. Does that mean I could simply relace the Carbon rims to the Dt Swiss hubs re-using the spokes? Is there any danger doing such a thing? This might make a nice upgrade for me as my Havens are giving me some problems with the rear hub. I also like the idea of upgrading the 350 hub to a 10mm thru bolt and the 36 POE. Thoughts?

#549 ·
Is there any danger doing such a thing?
Not at all if, as mentioned, the components are in proper unworn working order. I'm doing a rim swap. Align and tape the new rim (ERD equivalent) to the old built rim, un-do the nipple, move it and the spoke over, re-do. One at a time. Then it is tension and true. Happens all of the time in the dark back rooms of bike shops coast to coast.

#580 ·
Supposedly stiffer and wider at the same weight as the Crest. Weight limit on these are 100 kg (220 lbs) where as the Crest 29 wheels have a limit of 190 lbs.

But, all has to be proven. I received my set of rims as well, now waiting for spokes and hub to form my own opinion on these :D