mtbr member

charger pro or haven aloy

hi,
    i'm checking the deals on the web and i'm tempted by two wheelset
    1 charger pro 29er
    2 easton Haven alloy(mg) 29er

i ride mostly trails with some rough rocky parts, but i'm a DHer also so i dont skimp going into the rough stuff when its shows up.
    I usually dont break wheels that much so i assume i'm a fairly smooth rider.
    i'm 190lbs and wheels will go on a Canfield Yelli screamy.

I already own a set of charger expert on a 26" full sus with good results, so i'm not worried about the chargers.

The haven got mixed reviews, seem to be the first batch that were problematic. the set i'm looking for is 2012 and would be the first time i got "that light" with a wheelset so i want opinions on this one if possible.

thanks
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What wheels do you have now? Whats your budget? At 190 pounds, You should try one of the lighter wheelsets if you have the chance, you'll notice the benefits immediately. I'm about the same weight as you, maybe a little heavier, i plow through everything and havent busted a weight wheenie wheelset yet..knock on wood. I actually rode the crests for awhile with no problems. Anyways, my point being, unless your doing routine drops over 2-3 ft, you'd be fine on most of the lighter wheelsets available. If you do any climbing at all, you'll appreciate a wheelset under 1700-1750 grams.

The charger pro are a good wheel, just on the heavy side. They also make the charger pro SL which is their lighter version...but for that price I think there are better choices available. I've heard a lot of good things about the havens and they are pretty light. Someone mentioned the Spank Oozy (am i saying it right?) in a different thread which looks promising. Similar specs to havens. Even the i23's and Arch EX builds will take a beating.

mtbr member
    Spank oozy loks interesting also, they are 1800g for the wheelset just like the chargers
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think the Chargers have a larger internal diameter than the Havens. 23 vs 21. That'd be the deciding factor for me (wider).