mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Chain Management

For those of you who like running more than one front ring, what is your chain management preference?

- Shift into big ring for downhills and let your plain derailleurs do their job
    - some sort of chain guide (would especially like to hear about bionicon guides)
    - just buy a clutched derailleur (especially now that SLX comes in + version)

I am really looking for a comparison of running a guide of some kind to just getting a clutched der. because as I find more and more rowdy trails, I find that I am dropping my chain more often with my current 3x10 set up. Plus, a quieter ride is never a bad thing in my book.

mtbr member
    Just get the new shadow plus SLX and let us know how it is. My LBS has the new XT in stock and I am about to build a new bike and am very curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was running an MRP 2.x but had a less than stellar experience with trying to get replacement parts from them, so I sawed it to turn it into just a bash guard,and now I have a Bionicon c.guide v.2 and it does just as good a job for far less money than fixing my 2.x.

Plus, if you do break it, replacement parts are cheap. It is a wonderfully simple and effective part.

I was kicking around getting a SRAM Type 2 derailleur... but then I realized my current one works fine, and that would have been a lot of money for chain management over a Bionicon.l