Thread: Chain Guide?

mtbr member

Chain Guide?

I have a '12 Rockhopper 29. The terrain is rocky and rough where I live, and therefore plenty of chain slap going on. Lately when hitting bumps, the chain has been jumping gears, messing me up, especially when going uphill.

My buddy got me a Bionicon chain guide to help with this. I took my bike to the LBS and they looked at me kind of weird and said these are not for bikes that have more than 1 gear up front. I see what they are saying. The guy was pretty cool and did some adjusting for me for free.

Anyone here use a chain guide on a similar setup?
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I thought that was the whole point of the Bionicon chain guide - that it could be used with 2 and 3 ring cranks.
    Look at the page below - says it's compatible with 2 and 3 rings.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com/cguide/

mtbr member

Re: Chain Guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I thought that was the whole point of the Bionicon chain guide - that it could be used with 2 and 3 ring cranks.
    Look at the page below - says it's compatible with 2 and 3 rings.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com/cguide/
    I've never read about it. My buddy has them on his bikes, and loves them. Sounds like it would completely solve my problem.

Thanks for the info.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah your LBS probably said that because they can't stock the Bionicon, it's direct from manufacturer... I have it on a 2X10 and it's been flawless. It hinges back and forth purposely because of how close it sits to the front rings. Derp.

Anyways, I DID have an MRP 2.X on the bike, which was nice until I smashed the pulley wheels off the bike and had a hell of a time trying to get replacement parts from MRP (they may have updated their website since), they just couldn't seem to correctly price me out the correct parts no matter how clearly I stated in my emails what I needed lol. I ended up sawing off the pulley mount and turning it into an MRP XCG of sorts. And ordered the c.Guide and have been super happy with it.

The other thing, is the c.Guide is cheap enough that it's not a substantial investment seeing as it's a stopgap solution for me until the day I break my rear derailleur and can buy a SRAM type2 or whatever.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

squish, squish in da fish
    replace mrp tension wheels with blackspire. mrp axle design is flawed and blackspire's runs much quieter and when fully torqued the axle will allow the roller to drift side to side by maybe 2mm. this is a good thing as the chain line changes. zee rd's are only 90 bucks, but thats only if you're running 10 cogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Yeah your LBS probably said that because they can't stock the Bionicon, it's direct from manufacturer...
    If that's true, I would call them on that...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member

I watched a vid on the installation of this because I'm just going to do it myself. O couldn't tell if the vid said to add chain links? I wouldn't think so, especially since mine is a hardtail.

-Chris Kyle

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    I have a '12 Rockhopper 29. The terrain is rocky and rough where I live, and therefore plenty of chain slap going on. Lately when hitting bumps, the chain has been jumping gears, messing me up, especially when going uphill.

My buddy got me a Bionicon chain guide to help with this. I took my bike to the LBS and they looked at me kind of weird and said these are not for bikes that have more than 1 gear up front. I see what they are saying. The guy was pretty cool and did some adjusting for me for free.

Anyone here use a chain guide on a similar setup?
    Are you riding in granny gear?

Pull the chain tighter. Use the big ring, and 3 cogs down from the big cog (or higher) when bouncing down rocky sections. You don't wanna pedal for miles and miles in this gear because of the added wear from cross chaining, but for the techy descents, (where you're mostly coasting anyway) it works great.

Problem -> Solved. Didn't cost you a cent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I watched a vid on the installation of this because I'm just going to do it myself. O couldn't tell if the vid said to add chain links? I wouldn't think so, especially since mine is a hardtail.
    Install takes like 5 minutes tops, I didn't even disconnect my chain, I just halved the guide itself. I strapped mine to my chainstay with three zipties. Even if my derailleur cable ran below, I'd still use my chainstay as a mount. You shouldn't add links as that defeats the purpose.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I should clarify my earlier statement about it only being available thru the manufacturer; it appears you can get it online through other retailers now. But when I tried to get it through my LBS once, they couldn't get it thru QBP or any of their usual suppliers so I got it from Bionicon.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I buy bionicon from a distributor...they arent just direct They def work on 2x and 3x setups and might help your problems. Without a chain retention divice your gonna get chain slap on rough terrain...ive learned to just deal with it. If its popping off the chainring then maybe you have too many chain links. I personally dont care for chain retnetion systems like the bionicon for my riding style..only because the slight resistance you get and just not necessary.

Id first check chain length, and use a chainstay wrap to lower the noise. Last resort, give it a try. They are pretty inexpensive compared to similiar systems. Worst case, you dont like it and you can sell it to another member. Its a great idea, just not for everyone. Ive even see people use homemade ones. Its such a simple design. Let us know how it works on your rockhopper.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Install takes like 5 minutes tops, I didn't even disconnect my chain, I just halved the guide itself. I strapped mine to my chainstay with three zipties. Even if my derailleur cable ran below, I'd still use my chainstay as a mount. You shouldn't add links as that defeats the purpose.
    Thanks for the info.

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    I buy bionicon from a distributor...they arent just direct They def work on 2x and 3x setups and might help your problems. Without a chain retention divice your gonna get chain slap on rough terrain...ive learned to just deal with it. If its popping off the chainring then maybe you have too many chain links. I personally dont care for chain retnetion systems like the bionicon for my riding style..only because the slight resistance you get and just not necessary.

Id first check chain length, and use a chainstay wrap to lower the noise. Last resort, give it a try. They are pretty inexpensive compared to similiar systems. Worst case, you dont like it and you can sell it to another member. Its a great idea, just not for everyone. Ive even see people use homemade ones. Its such a simple design. Let us know how it works on your rockhopper.
    It is actually jumping rings when I hit bumps. Almost caused me to fall several times. I'm going to put it on. I'll let you know.

-Chris Kyle

ballbuster
    It is actually jumping rings when I hit bumps. Almost caused me to fall several times. I'm going to put it on. I'll let you know.
    It just seems like an odd problem. MY chain jumps from time to time, but I find if I just keep the chain tight it isn't an issue. I ride loads of rocky trail, up and down.

I have to think this is a setup issue, or a technique issue. Is the front derailleur too high, or something? The outer plate should be above the big ring's teeth by just a hair... like the thickness of a penny.