mtbr member

Chain Catcher without any spacers on the BB?

Hi people!
    I need an advice.
    I own a carbon Tallboy with sram xo 3x10. 22-33-bash
    Truvativ GXP Team 73mm BB without spacers.
    The problem - chain suck. The truth is that I haven't drop the chain in a while, well since I reduced the derailleur travel and moved it a bit down (I do not have the big ring)
    The thing is that I am trying to be very careful whenever I shift to the small ring (instead odf quick shift, it's always a cautious and slow one. So I decided to look into some solutions.
    Do you think I should try to install a K-edge Dirt-3 chain catcher even though there aren't any spacer on the BB?
    K-Edge DIRT-3 - K-Edge Chain Catchers
    Would it be too much off? The catcher is 2.3mm wide.
    Would it even work?
    THANKS!

ballbuster

whellp.....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Hi people!
    I need an advice.
    I own a carbon Tallboy with sram xo 3x10. 22-33-bash
    Truvativ GXP Team 73mm BB without spacers.
    The problem - chain suck. The truth is that I haven't drop the chain in a while, well since I reduced the derailleur travel and moved it a bit down (I do not have the big ring)
    The thing is that I am trying to be very careful whenever I shift to the small ring (instead odf quick shift, it's always a cautious and slow one. So I decided to look into some solutions.
    Do you think I should try to install a K-edge Dirt-3 chain catcher even though there aren't any spacer on the BB?
    K-Edge DIRT-3 - K-Edge Chain Catchers
    Would it be too much off? The catcher is 2.3mm wide.
    Would it even work?
    THANKS!
    It won't help chainsuck. I looks like it would work for dropped chains, but really good derailleur adjustment would prevent that anyway.

Also, it's going to throw off the BB spacing. so I say skip this thing.

Anti-Chainsuck devices don't work. They only make the chain wedge into the frame when it chainsucks, possibly damaging your chain and/or frame. Your best defense is to use good shifting technique, keep the chain well lubed, replace it at the first sign of wear, keep your chainrings in good shape and replace them when they show wear.

You can also try rotating the granny gear in relation to the middle ring, to see if that helps with the shifting, especially if you have mismatched brand chainrings.

mtbr member
    This one is K-Edge's anti-chainsuck device...

K-Edge ACS - Mountain - K-Edge Chain Catchers

These instructions address the GXP/no spacer issue as well.

http://www.acecosportgroup.com/docs/...structions.pdf

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!
    Is there a difference between the chain suck and dropped chain?
    My problem is mainly result of shifting from the middle ring to granny. The chain drops on the bottom bracket and gets jammed on the top of the BB between the frame and the ring.
    What is the major difference in functionality between the K-Edge ACS and the Dirt-3?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks guys!
    My problem is mainly result of shifting from the middle ring to granny. The chain drops on the bottom bracket and gets jammed on the top of the BB between the frame and the ring.
    What is the major difference in functionality between the K-Edge ACS and the Dirt-3?
    There is a HUGE difference between a dropped chain and chain suck. You have the former. Chain suck is when the chain does not release from the bottom of the ring and jams against the top run of chain or the chainstay.

Drop drop while shifting is usually a setup issue. Front derailleur setup is the first to check.
    Chainline being too far outboard can be another cause. Adding the Dirt-3 would make it worse.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

VENI VEDI BIKI
    On my 1x9s, I found that a very cheap and effective chain catcher can be made by pilfering parts from old reflectors.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!
    Yes the is a difference between dropped chain and chain suck. You're having a dropped chain. Your situation can probably be fixed by properly setting your inner limit on your front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Get one, it works bloody great.I 've had mine for 2 years and all is good. Highly recommend it.
    Prior to other replies some times the chain will bounce off esp when shifting down on the front to confront a sudden steep climb and you are bombing down a real rough section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There is a HUGEDrop drop while shifting is usually a setup issue. Front derailleur setup is the first to check.
    Chainline being too far outboard can be another cause. Adding the Dirt-3 would make it worse.
    Thank you Shiggy.
    I have played with the front derailleur, adjusted the limiting screws, i can not go any closer to the rings. If I do, the chain will be rubbing it (in granny + big cog combination). I have also moved the derailleur 1/4 inch down, which I think helped a little. The problem with this is that there is now more tension when i try to shift to the middle ring which is result of less space between the derailleur and the middle ring.
    Why do you think the Dirt-3 would not work?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...Why do you think the Dirt-3 would not work?
    It will move the chainline outboard, which will make dropping the chain even easier. Current crank chainlines are already too far out.

You may need to adjust the shifter cable tension/position and/or FD angle, not just the limit screws.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ballbuster

Second that....

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    It will move the chainline outboard, which will make dropping the chain even easier. Current crank chainlines are already too far out.

You may need to adjust the shifter cable tension/position and/or FD angle, not just the limit screws.
    Check the Park Tool website about front derailleur adjustment. You don't adjust the FD to be perfectly parallel to the chainrings. You actually need to angle it a tad, but I always forget which way, so I have to look it up every time I have FD issues.

Yeah, derailleur adjustments do nothing for chiansuck. If you have problems with dropped chains, it is entirely from FD adjustment... unless you have bent chainring teeth, sloppy BB bearings or something weird.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Bump, chain suck and drop are potentially completely unrelated as mentioned above. In an ideal world with chain line set perfectly, oem not-too-worn chainrings, limit screws set correctly one thinks that you would (almost) never drop a chain. Mountain biking stuff happens and FD can get knocked slightly off, overzealous return spring in FD, etc. etc ad nauseum..... K-Edge Dirt-3 Chain Catcher is a wonderful overpriced tool (and works all the time, so far with a 2 years use on many bikes). Why needed ? Because of the potential of the grinding physics of a chain caught between crank on a carbon chain stay with just a very slight partial turn of the crank,.. just one time. Nuff said.
    Also, the chain suck devices don't work, they are easily knocked away with the torque of the suck of the chain on the ring. Massive amount of info on preventing chain suck so look it up. Bike mechanic for 20 years +.

mtbr member

Re: Chain Catcher without any spacers on the BB?

I am running 1x on all my bikes now. Problem solved.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

g3h6o3
    I used to drop my chain in rough sections and the Dirt 3 fixed most of my dropped chain problems. It works well
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.