Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cassette question for S-Works 2012 29"

766 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  xcgriffin 
#1 · (Edited)
The original bike came with a SRAM XX 10-speed, 11-36t. I bought the bike used. The past owner put on a new Shimano Deore XT CS-M770 9 speed cassette before selling the bike. I'm kind of bummed that I didn't see this. I thought that it was a new SRAM XX 10-speed. Yes a new chain was put and and new bottom bracket but I don't know what brand. Besides the fact that this isn't as good of a cassette. Will it make a tremendous difference for a F high school racer? I'm mainly concerned that the gearing won't work together if the Deore XT isn't the correct cassette. and then I will have problems that cost me money and problems in the long run. I don't want to ride the bike if this could be an issue. I do think that I can talk to the original owner about this one issue. Eiither way I like the bike! Thank

#3 ·
That's an obvious cop-out by the original owner, he probably wanted to keep the $400 cassette for himself. You should mention this to him and ask for a better solution. If he doesn't cave, a Shimano Deore XT 10 speed cassette would be a good replacement, I think it's about $40-50. Also check that your chain is 10 speed, since he swapped to a 9spd cassette he may have swapped chains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.