mtbr member

Carver Carbon 29r rims

So this came up on my Facebook a few days ago. Anyone know any thing about them? Would they be good for a budget race wheel build?

Bikeman Carver Carbon 29er Mountain Disc Rim

I'm Slow
    Looks like re-branded Nancy rims (measurements match), save your money and buy direct.

Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) - light-bicycle
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Yes, those do look like the same rims being offered by Light-Bicycle.com (LB) albeit with a $60-70 markup over LB. Of course from a 'big picture' point of view, despite the slightly higher price for the Carver branded rims, it might actually be a wash in the long run. For example, in my case it took 35-days (8 days to clear customs) for two wheelsets to be delivered from LB and though LB invoiced shipping separately for each wheelset, while very well packed, the wheels were still shipped in a single box. From my readiing through this thread the last several months, I have found reports of defects to have been very limited, unfortunately for those who did have issues, language, distance, and time zone differences between appear to have proven to be problematic. By contrast, the Carver rims are in stock from an e-commerce site which I think is backed by a brick & mortar store here in the US, thus a lot less headaches should problems arise. Knowing what I know now, if I were currently considering a purchase decision, I might think twice about a slightly higher cost knowing that the product was in stock and could be delivered in a week or less.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any feed back on them? XC sort of riding feedback.

The price is pretty reasonable....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouan View Post
    Does anyone have any feed back on them? XC sort of riding feedback.

The price is pretty reasonable....
    Go to that thread and look for yourself.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Yes, those do look like the same rims being offered by Light-Bicycle.com (LB) albeit with a $60-70 markup over LB. Of course from a 'big picture' point of view, despite the slightly higher price for the Carver branded rims, it might actually be a wash in the long run. For example, in my case it took 35-days (8 days to clear customs) for two wheelsets to be delivered from LB and though LB invoiced shipping separately for each wheelset, while very well packed, the wheels were still shipped in a single box. From my readiing through this thread the last several months, I have found reports of defects to have been very limited, unfortunately for those who did have issues, language, distance, and time zone differences between appear to have proven to be problematic. By contrast, the Carver rims are in stock from an e-commerce site which I think is backed by a brick & mortar store here in the US, thus a lot less headaches should problems arise. Knowing what I know now, if I were currently considering a purchase decision, I might think twice about a slightly higher cost knowing that the product was in stock and could be delivered in a week or less.
    I have to agree there is something to easy availability and easy contact is something goes wrong.

mtbr member
    . . . from an e-commerce site which I think is backed by a brick & mortar store here in the US . . .
    Yes, Carver Bikes and Bikeman.com share the same address as the brick & mortar Bath Cycle & Ski, which I visited a couple times while I lived in MA. Nice shop just off Rte 1 in Woolrich, ME. They have quite the museum style collection of historical parts on display, plus a good selection of road, cyclocross, and mountain bikes. Based on my visits to the shop, I think they'd certainly stand behind their product and provide great customer service.

I'll be going to them for carbon rims to replace the Flows on my Al spoked I-9s when the time comes, mainly to get the US support.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sexy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i like em how much

Keep on Rockin...

Yep...

This is a good thread and post. I'm in the same boat, with wanting to get Nancy's rims, but don't want the potential hassles should there be a quality issue and so I've been considering the Carver rims through Bikeman in Maine. Figured they might just be rebranded Nancy's.

Hopefully this thread will live on and we'll get some feedback.

mtbr member
    My buddy just put the finishing touches on my new wheels with these rims laced with marwi ti spokes to hope pro 2s. Did a lot of reading about the rims and also about ti spokes. Not a lot of concrete information out there about either subject, (there are some great forum arguments about ti spokes, pretty controversial) so I decided to try it out for myself...we'll see... Compared to my old Arch rims, the carver rims felt super stiff even before they were built, also so much wider. I did have about a 30 gram weight difference between the two carver rims, one was about 415 and the other about 380, don't remember exactly. Ill be sure to post some pics once I go pick them up.

mtbr member

Carver Carbon 29r rims

I got my wheels back a few days ago, had a few other things to do on the bike and just finished it all today. Unfortunately winter has came back so I don't think I'll be able to ride it for a minute. Wheels look great though. Carver Carbon 29r rims-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366140736.786063.jpg

transmitter~receiver
    Just for comparison:
    Pair of rims shipped to US:

Light-bicycle: $393.30
    Bikeman: $539.90

delivered difference of $146.60

It very well may be worth it if Carver is providing Q/C and good warranty support with reasonable shipping prices. I had to pay an extra $40 for LB to ship me a new rim after one of mine arrived defective.

If these are the same rims, I wonder if Carver is adding to LB lead time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Just for comparison:
    Pair of rims shipped to US:

Light-bicycle: $393.30
    Bikeman: $539.90

delivered difference of $146.60

It very well may be worth it if Carver is providing Q/C and good warranty support with reasonable shipping prices. I had to pay an extra $40 for LB to ship me a new rim after one of mine arrived defective.

If these are the same rims, I wonder if Carver is adding to LB lead time.
    Mine just showed up this week. The front built up perfectly with a King hub and Sapim spokes. However, as soon as my wrench started lacing the rear, he noticed a good sized crack at the valve stem hole. Carver (Webcyclery.com) is taking good care of me--I paid for a replacement which they're eating the shipping on, and refunding me the price when the cracked one gets back. They were super apologetic and easy to deal with, so I think skipping the hassle of over-seas ordering was a smart move!
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I should also note that they told me this is the first one they've gotten back with a pre-build defect, so I think the quality control is probably pretty good.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert