View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep my current Flow EX's and ride them until I break them (probably never)

6 35.29%
  • Have the stan hubs relaced with carbon rims

0 0%
  • Buy new hubs and build a whole new wheelset and try to sell the Flow EX's

11 64.71%
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Listen! carbon wheel upgrade worth it?

So for the last few days I've been contemplating jumping on a set of the derby rims. I like the idea that they're wider and will be much stiffer. The problem I'm having is I just purchased a brand new set of Stans Flow EX's. I've never ridden carbon wheels so I'm not sure if I'll really feel a difference. My Yeti is my first 29'er and I did notice how much flex the larger wheel has. What would you do in this situation? What do you think I could sell a set of basically new Flow EX's with stan hubs for? I think I have about 75 miles on them. They will be going on a Yeti SB95c used mostly for trail riding around the front range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    not a single reply yet 6 people reply to a thread about 10lb mag wheels? lol...

mtbr member
    It's because there's a thread w/ about 1/2 a million pages on this. If you can't find your info there, you need to give up on internet.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went from Stan's race Golds to the EC90 carbons.... I cannot say fro sure if I can feel any difference. I weigh 145 lbs so that could be a factor, but still.... I can ride pretty aggressively.

Most carbons are supposed to be bomb proof, but Stans will do a full rebuild and include a rim for $100 if you taco it.

Also the carbons weigh more than the Stans....

oh, BTW, Stans showed off their sub 1200 gram carbon wheelset at Interbike, they looked pretty sweet.... of course they are "not available for a while"... When those come out I will be looking at those real hard...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    not a single reply yet 6 people reply to a thread about 10lb mag wheels? lol...
    They were aluminum, not mag, lol.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Used wheels is kind of a hard sell. I will consider some used parts, but wheels is one of the last ones, due to how they can hide stress and wear. When I want to upgrade wheels, I usually want something specific though, so I'm faced with either relacing if I like the hubs, which I've done before, or upgrade and sell the old wheels cheap. Lots of people get stuck on "well I paid x amount, so I should be able to sell them for y", but I throw that out the window whenever I sell anything.

If I get a few bucks, I'm happy. What would I do? I'd buy the chinese carbon rims, lace them and build them on the hubs myself, since I've built many wheels before. Otherwise it would get ultra-expensive real fast, and if you got that kind of money, you don't have to worry so much about the other details.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    So for the last few days I've been contemplating jumping on a set of the derby rims. I like the idea that they're wider and will be much stiffer. The problem I'm having is I just purchased a brand new set of Stans Flow EX's. I've never ridden carbon wheels so I'm not sure if I'll really feel a difference. My Yeti is my first 29'er and I did notice how much flex the larger wheel has. What would you do in this situation? What do you think I could sell a set of basically new Flow EX's with stan hubs for? I think I have about 75 miles on them. They will be going on a Yeti SB95c used mostly for trail riding around the front range.
    If you're just riding front range stuff, there's not much point to the Derby's. If you roadtrip *often* to places with other-than-hardpack surfaces, the Derby's might be worth more consideration.