mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Are Carbon Stems Easier on the Hands than Aluminum?

It is my understanding that some carbon components have better shock absorbing qualities than aluminum. Are carbon stems easier on the hands than aluminum stems of the same or similar design?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    handlebar absorbs shock, not stem

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Agreed. A carbon bar will dampen vibration more noticeably than a carbon stem will. However, don't expect miracles. You'll feel the difference in high frequency vibration that is transmitted through the bar (think chatter bumps, graveled fire roads, etc.), but the bigger impacts will still be there. But then that's what a suspension fork is for. Anyway, a carbon bar will certainly take the edge off, the stem, not so much. There is a difference, just not very noticeable.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is your favorite carbon handlebar?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Barrett View Post
    What is your favorite carbon handlebar?
    For the past ten years I've been using Easton Carbon low riser bars and they are great. They were always called Easton Monkey Lite bars. I guess they are now called the Haven Carbon.

I recently decided to try an Answer Pro Taper Carbon 720. They are as good if not better but that is subjective. I like the " low rise for 29" bikes.

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

What day are we riding?
    I use a carbon stem on one race bike and a Thomson on the other with the same bars. I do not notice a difference.

mtbr member
    Stems are designed to be stiff. If they flexed, handling would be rather badly affected.

So, as has been said, handlebars will offer more of a dampening effect. But, as has also been mentioned, do not expect miracles.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I call BS. It's marketing hype. There is no way you will feel a difference. Tire pressure and fork pressure (suspension fork obviously) will make a difference. Otherwise, it's negligeable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks everyone for the insight. Sounds like a carbon bar would be best used in a very lightweight racing build.

mtbr member
    Why? As with any material, depending on the layup and design of the bar, carbon can be designed to be just as strong as alloy, with less weight.

And it can also be designed to have some degree of damping.