Thread: Carbon quandary

mtbr member

Carbon quandary

Carbon quandary-image.jpgI just purchased a new set of carbon bars and noticed an obvious void in the material at the end of the bar. Hoping that it was just a slight imperfection at the end, which I was planning to trim anyway, I trimmed away and, unfortunately, it became a little more noticeable. Using an old derailleur cable, I plumbed the void and it's probably only a centimeter or so long. Would you guys proceed to ride it or return it? I was under the impression that carbon should be absolutely void free, no?Carbon quandary-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes, carbon is supposed to be void free. It does happen with the layup process. Those bars have a very thick wall and the void is to the inside so the wall is still pretty thick so I don't think you will have a problem. You could fill the void with west systems epoxy. I would let the manufacture know and see what they want you to do.

mtbr member
    i HATE when this happens. but, such is life. if you bought it online, hopefully it was from a reputable site. I'd get on the phone with them and see if you can swing something as far as a replacement/upgrade/future credits. If it was from your LBS, hopefully they recognize the issue and rectify.

I'm sure the bars weren't super cheap, so i think you at least owe yourself an inquisition to see if something can be done. if it works out great, if not, no biggie. you probably won't crack them in normal riding, but if you tumble hard and they give out you will have the what-ifs til the end of days.
    2013: RM Instinct 970

2012: Pinarello FP Quattro

2011: The last time I had money for anything besides biking

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Replace... why take a chance with bars you think -- "should be ok"... Anything that "should be ok"-- usually isnt.. You paid good money for those bars-- send them back and get some fresh correct ones sent to you..

Flow like water
    The void you see is not important. It is in a non-stressed region. The most stress in a handlebar is near the stem clamp, and in a diminishing way out toward the grips. If you could see the interior of the handlebar near the center, you'd know something useful.

As is is, though, you have seen a flaw which can't possibly dump you on your ass.

It could just be excess material. It is also true that the layers near the outside are much more highly stressed than the inner layers. Have you ever pulled loose threads from the seams of an expensive shirt? This could be the same sort of thing.

Let us know if the bars snap in two.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Today I sent the same pictures to the manufacturer, which responded immediately noting that the void is definitely not normal and that they would contact the online order house on my behalf to ship me a replacement bar. Top notch customer service. Thanks for the replies... pretty much confirming what I already knew: Don't take chances with carbon.

g3h6o3
    Easton?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredbadams View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	793022I just purchased a new set of carbon bars and noticed an obvious void in the material at the end of the bar. Hoping that it was just a slight imperfection at the end, which I was planning to trim anyway, I trimmed away and, unfortunately, it became a little more noticeable. Using an old derailleur cable, I plumbed the void and it's probably only a centimeter or so long. Would you guys proceed to ride it or return it? I was under the impression that carbon should be absolutely void free, no?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	793021
    Good that you are getting taken care of. With the line lengths on there, did you want the full width? Sounds like you could trim it away.

mtbr member
    Glad you are getting it replaced. Where this is one void it could mean that bar has more voids. I would not chance it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow, the wall of those bars is at least 3 times thicker than that of my whisky 7 bars. What brand are those? I'm actually looking for a stiffer set.

mtbr member

Carbon quandary

Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Wow, the wall of those bars is at least 3 times thicker than that of my whisky 7 bars. What brand are those? I'm actually looking for a stiffer set.
    How bad are your whisky bars for creaking?? I pull up a lot and that creaking is driving me nuts!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I wouldn't ride any handlebar that was creaking.

That type of noise is usually the headset or headset in the frame that is creaking. Either that or lock-on grips moving slightly.

Bars with sidewalks as thick as pictured here would definitely make me feel more confident that they wouldn't snap.

mtbr member

Carbon quandary

It only creaks when I am climbing and pull back on the bars.

Not when leaning on it bombing downhill.

There's always next year.
    Not the OP, but on first glance, thought the looked like Eastons, but on further looking (and other posters...), they don't. I do love the Easton Havoc bars though... Nice and wide, and stiff enough for me. I have no worries about any of the carbon stuff coming from ENVE, Easton, or RaceFace based on my past experiences.
    Last edited by padrefan1982; 05-02-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Mistaken identity--blaming my 5 month old twins for that one :-)

mtbr member
    Not sure about the OP's bars, but mine are Race Face SIXC- I've been really happy with the stiffness. I'm about 170 with pretty good upper body strength, I ride aggressively, and I've no complaints.

Race Face 2013
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Looks more like Enve DH to me.
    They recently moved production, and might be dealing with a snafu or two. However, you couldn't be in better hands (ok...pun intended)

HAHA PWN
    I was going to pick up a pair of Enve DH and noticed that it was no longer made in the States. I opted to pick up a pair of RF SixC DH for 40.00 cheaper. So far, I'm really happy with them.

mtbr member
    I was reluctant to name names, but since my customer service experience has been so strong and my replacement bar has such great ride characteristics, I'll say... ENVE. I've ridden this bar, monkeylites and Havocs, and the ENVE seems stiffer to me.