Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbon quandary

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  jaredbadams 
#1 ·
Wood Textile Wood stain Hardwood Plywood
I just purchased a new set of carbon bars and noticed an obvious void in the material at the end of the bar. Hoping that it was just a slight imperfection at the end, which I was planning to trim anyway, I trimmed away and, unfortunately, it became a little more noticeable. Using an old derailleur cable, I plumbed the void and it's probably only a centimeter or so long. Would you guys proceed to ride it or return it? I was under the impression that carbon should be absolutely void free, no? Finger Thumb Wrist Household hardware Nail

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, carbon is supposed to be void free. It does happen with the layup process. Those bars have a very thick wall and the void is to the inside so the wall is still pretty thick so I don't think you will have a problem. You could fill the void with west systems epoxy. I would let the manufacture know and see what they want you to do.

#3 ·
i HATE when this happens. but, such is life. if you bought it online, hopefully it was from a reputable site. I'd get on the phone with them and see if you can swing something as far as a replacement/upgrade/future credits. If it was from your LBS, hopefully they recognize the issue and rectify.

I'm sure the bars weren't super cheap, so i think you at least owe yourself an inquisition to see if something can be done. if it works out great, if not, no biggie. you probably won't crack them in normal riding, but if you tumble hard and they give out you will have the what-ifs til the end of days.

#5 ·
The void you see is not important. It is in a non-stressed region. The most stress in a handlebar is near the stem clamp, and in a diminishing way out toward the grips. If you could see the interior of the handlebar near the center, you'd know something useful.

As is is, though, you have seen a flaw which can't possibly dump you on your ass.

It could just be excess material. It is also true that the layers near the outside are much more highly stressed than the inner layers. Have you ever pulled loose threads from the seams of an expensive shirt? This could be the same sort of thing.

Let us know if the bars snap in two.

#6 ·
Today I sent the same pictures to the manufacturer, which responded immediately noting that the void is definitely not normal and that they would contact the online order house on my behalf to ship me a replacement bar. Top notch customer service. Thanks for the replies... pretty much confirming what I already knew: Don't take chances with carbon.

#8 ·
View attachment 793022 I just purchased a new set of carbon bars and noticed an obvious void in the material at the end of the bar. Hoping that it was just a slight imperfection at the end, which I was planning to trim anyway, I trimmed away and, unfortunately, it became a little more noticeable. Using an old derailleur cable, I plumbed the void and it's probably only a centimeter or so long. Would you guys proceed to ride it or return it? I was under the impression that carbon should be absolutely void free, no? View attachment 793021
Good that you are getting taken care of. With the line lengths on there, did you want the full width? Sounds like you could trim it away.

#12 ·
I wouldn't ride any handlebar that was creaking.

That type of noise is usually the headset or headset in the frame that is creaking. Either that or lock-on grips moving slightly.

Bars with sidewalks as thick as pictured here would definitely make me feel more confident that they wouldn't snap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.