NMBP

Carbon parts: Torque setting

I am finally getting a carbon bike part, a handle bar (I know, welcome to 1990). Anyway, I had a question regarding torque specs. Should I use the torque recommendation for the part that is being attached, ie: brakes, shifters, or is there a spec that comes with the bar? The reason that I am asking is that I read that Easton bars don't come with any numbers. I really don't want to destroy a new part. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well. Oh, I do have some carbon paste as well.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Use the carbon paste, most bars seem to be in the region of 4 - 6 Nm from my experience- but all brands are different.
    Go by the values recommended for the bar- not the brake. If the brake has a higher max torque recomendation than the bar and you tighten it up to that, the bar would probably snap halfway through a ride. Nobody wants that to happen!

NMBP
    Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the bar comes with some specs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My Ergon grips are attached tight enough not to move on my Easton bar. My brake levers and shifters are tight but can be moved with an impact. I've had 3-4 drops without any difficulty. I had to check and tighten several times over the first few hard rides.

mtbr member
    When I first bought a Easton Carbon handlebar I sent Easton an e-mail asking them what torque to use. The reply was to use the torque as specified by the stem and other component manufacturer.

If you could crush a carbon bar with torque in the region of 6-8 Nm. I wouldn't want to use it.

Also, there is no need to use carbon paste unless you find that a component slips.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    When I first bought a Easton Carbon handlebar I sent Easton an e-mail asking them what torque to use. The reply was to use the torque as specified by the stem and other component manufacturer.

If you could crush a carbon bar with torque in the region of 6-8 Nm. I wouldn't want to use it.

Also, there is no need to use carbon paste unless you find that a component slips.
    I called Easton yesterday and got the same response. They did recommend using the carbon paste though.