Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Carbon parts for 29er SS?

I will be building an On-One Lurcher as SS and I am hoping to use a carbon seatpost, stem, bars, and crankset. Right now I am leaning toward SL-K almost simply because I can get all of the parts matching... dumb, I know. I am fairly new to MTB (2 years now) and definitely new to building. Working on an On-One Inbred 29er SS now and the Lurcher build is next.

I want carbon parts that are reliable as I hope to take the bike onto fairly rooty Ohio singletrack. Biggest problem is that right now I weigh 230lbs (slowly losing weight but regardless I want something that will last). The Lurcher will be used at first as a paved surface workout bike and as I get lighter I will branch into rougher stuff.

I noticed, from another thread, a brand called Flyxii and it seems legit and cheap but cheap doesn't always work well for reliability. If anyone has any info to offer in the form of advice/opinions then please lay it on me because I am starting with little carbon knowledge. Newer to posting on MTBR as well but there seems to be all kinds of helpful knowledge strewn about. Thanks in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    Why do you want carbon parts ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Honestly... I'm not really sure. I research the crap out of everything but without ride testing, you can't really confirm much outside of others reviews. I am noticing that you can find some higher end aluminum at comparable weights but I am not much of a weight weenie. I've just been more interested in what a full carbon ride would feel like. Again, blame it on the ignorance of a newer rider. I have been a fan of Race Face components since I started a couple years ago and have started considering the Turbine set as well. I guess that I am just fishing for more experienced opinions on whether the ride quality is worth always wondering if/when I am going to destroy what is keeping me from performing an epic fakie-faceplant. Haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @230lbs I would probably steer away from some carbon parts unless you have confirmation from the manufacturer that they are fine for your weight. If you found some, I would think bars and seatpost would give you the most noticeable benefit. If you have the dough, and can find parts that you won't void any warranties at your weight, then I don't see any reason not to if that's what you want to do. The bike will certainly be light. But again, if you weigh 230lbs, how light do you really need it to be?

mtbr member
    I'm 220 on rigid, and, although I was tempted by carbon parts to make my ride smoother, I just couldn't pull the trigger knowing that the little bit of doubt at the back of my mind would be there all the time while riding. And I ride like Kramer bursting through Jerry's door - smashing through everything. I ended up getting Turbine handlebar, stem, and seatpost. I'm happy with their weight and strength.

If you really want to try carbon and have deep pockets, I would consider AM/DH intended carbon parts like Raceface SixC.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

ballbuster
    If you wanna do carbon, I say skip the carbon seatpost. They aren't any lighter than a good alu seatpost, and they can easily crack if you overtighten the seatpost collar... which you will be very tempted to do once the carbon post starts slipping in the frame.

Like 4dbst says, you should be looking at Freeride grade parts unless you're proving that lighter stuff will hold up. Consider it training weight. Once you lose the weight you're looking to lose, the new lightweight XC grade parts are gonna make your bike feel snappy (as in, responsive, not breakage) as heck!

I'm 210 pounds, but I ride pretty smooth. I can get away with light-ish stuff.... not that there is much advantage at my weight. I mean, the total bike weight still represents less than 13% of the total weight of bike and rider. Can't argue physics.

That said, I love my Light Bicycle carbon AM rims on DT hubs. Light, stiff, makes the bike feel point and shoot, and at the same time, flickable. Kind of a waste that they are on a 28 pound bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks everyone. This info was just what I needed. I agree with everyone, at 230, why do I need carbon right away anyway. I would imagine the frame/fork will soak up a lot of the vibration on their own. Not really concerned with making the lightest bike but lighter is better since I won't be racing downhill anytime soon. Pockets aren't deep enough for SixC but I really like the look of that set. I think this affirms that the Lurcher will be outfitted with the Turbine set. Thanks for helping me with my decision all. I will be giving each of you rep.

I was about 180lbs 6 years ago but in that time I have gotten a desk job (used to be a motorcycle frame welder, good 8 hour workout) and I got married so the LBS started packing on! Haha, oh well... happy life is what we will call it!

MTBR Member
    Now you guys have me doubting my decision to go back and try out a carbon bar. About 210 geared up and have been eyeing the Easton EC70's on closeout -- losing 100g of bar weight is tempting, especially considering my Yelli is 28+ lbs. If they snap, hopefully I can roll out of it.

mtbr member
    I say do it......I weigh in at 215 currently......My Civilian Luddite (29er rigid singlespeed) has a carbon fork, bars, and seat post. Carbon has made the bike much more comfortable on long rides and the weight is down to 23lbs from 27 lbs. absolutely love it set up this way. Just make sure to buy quality stuff. I'm running a 9er carbon flat top bar and an Easton Haven carbon post. The bike came with a Civilian version of the Whiskey number 7 fork stock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    If they snap, hopefully I can roll out of it.
    Haha... now that is thinking with a positive attitude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quality carbon parts , torqued properly can take a beating. I much prefer a lighter bike over a heavy one, but that's just me. If you can afford the extra expenditure, why not?!!?

mtbr member
    I find carbon parts for clydes is interesting. For me, I know I can be as low as 190 lb with 10-12% body fat (I love food too much to go lower than that), but I'm 220 lb. So for me, carbon parts at 220 lb isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

But on the other hand, on clydes forum, there are a lot of people who were over 300 lb and now 250 lb, and they rock carbon parts without problems.

So I guess carbon can take abuse at my current weight, but I just can't let go of the "what if it breaks?" attitude.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Now you guys have me doubting my decision to go back and try out a carbon bar. About 210 geared up and have been eyeing the Easton EC70's on closeout -- losing 100g of bar weight is tempting, especially considering my Yelli is 28+ lbs. If they snap, hopefully I can roll out of it.
    Nah... carbon bar is a nice upgrade. Easton carbon bars are bombproof. They are well made, good engineering and fully tested. They are stronger than alu bars.

That said, carbon doesn't put up with really bad crashes very well... that is, the kind where your bike goes tumbling down a cliff or hitting trees... that sorta thing. If you crash your bike, remove the bar and all of the parts and give it a good inspection.

The added bonus is that they mute some of the vibration buzz that gets transmitted to your hands.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    I say do it......I weigh in at 215 currently......My Civilian Luddite (29er rigid singlespeed) has a carbon fork, bars, and seat post.
    Never really noticed Civilian before. I really like the Luddite frame/fork. Would love to see pics of yours upgraded if you have them? Thanks for the advice as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Nah... carbon bar is a nice upgrade. Easton carbon bars are bombproof. They are well made, good engineering and fully tested. They are stronger than alu bars.
    I had never really considered Easton as a viable option. Seemed, to me, as more of a light weight over high strength option. Your post had me intrigued and now I am really digging the Haven set. A little heavier but the all mountain intended use leads me to believe that rolling on pavement as a workout bike will be fine at my weight. Then, as the lbs shed, should hold up fine on the trails too... i hope

mtbr member
    All my bikes have Thomson stems and seatposts. Not the lightest but I have 100% faith in them, one bike runs Truvativ Noir WC carbon bar and the other has a Ti Cycles titanium bar.

psycho cyclo addict
    I ran my 1st SS with all aluminum parts then built up a rigid steel forked Niner SIR with some carbon bits. Of any, the Truvative T30 seat post was the most noticeable in terms of added comfort with a bit of flex. Note: if you chamfer the inside of the seat tube, it will reduce the chance of breaking a carbon post at the seat tube interface.

I also run carbon bars on my rigid SS and on my full suspension 29er (plus Elixir CR carbon brake levers). I've bashed the carbon bars on my FS bike more than once: bit it hard on a DH trail, broke off a shifter clamp on big rocks and other gushe on occasion. Carbon bits have been plenty durable...

Some of my riding cronies are in the 220 lb. range (I'm ~195 lbs) and run carbon posts and bars as well...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am riding a hardtail 29er. It has carbon flat bars (710mm) and it provides a tiny bit of flex, just enough to really take the edge off of things. I recently pulled the trigger on a Syntace carbon hiflex post. I would never have believed it but the difference is huge. It truly takes the edge off of the constant small hits you take while pedaling. I am able to stay seated much more (so less fatigue) and my butt and back are much happier. They are not cheap, but a definite game changer for me.

Certified Clyde
    I'm 220 and have ridden anywhere from 215-305 (ugh). I have carbon seatpost and fork on my roadbike, and never thought twice about it. I had an Easton Monkeylite bar on one of my MTBs, and it flexed and creaked so much, it freaked out my collarbone.

I'm in firm agreement with regards to target DH/All Mountain built carbon if you go that route. Get a torque wrench and tighten it to spec. That's what I'm personally comfortable with. It's a personal comfort risk factor vs marginal weight savings for clydes.
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    All my bikes have Thomson stems and seatposts. Not the lightest but I have 100% faith in them, one bike runs Truvativ Noir WC carbon bar and the other has a Ti Cycles titanium bar.
    I used to be a Thompson fanboy but I have broken two stems in the past year. I finally gave up on them.

Thompson provided great CS and replaced them free of charge but the first 2 breaks didn't hurt me, I was afraid the third one might....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MTBWolf View Post
    Never really noticed Civilian before. I really like the Luddite frame/fork. Would love to see pics of yours upgraded if you have them? Thanks for the advice as well.
    Carbon parts for 29er SS?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373982833.788088.jpgHere you go MTBWolf......Fork is standard issue, bar is a 9er Carbon flat top with ODI grips, post is an Easton Haven 27.2.......Love this set up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373982833.788088.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	816493Here you go MTBWolf......Fork is standard issue, bar is a 9er Carbon flat top with ODI grips, post is an Easton Haven 27.2.......Love this set up.
    Very well done Sir! That is a sweet looking rig for sure!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch98 View Post
    I'm in firm agreement with regards to target DH/All Mountain built carbon if you go that route. Get a torque wrench and tighten it to spec. That's what I'm personally comfortable with. It's a personal comfort risk factor vs marginal weight savings for clydes.
    This is where I am leaning. The "live & learn" method. I think I will try the Easton Haven bars, seatpost, stem (eventually, as i can afford each peice). And eventually the aluminum wheelset... dont think Ill ever be ballsy enough to go carbon with carbon wheels. Even when I do get my girlish figure back.

My synopsis of the advice from everyone above is that aluminum is the safe bet, carbon is definitely possible but purchase quality and keep the worst case scenario in mind while at clyde status, and eventually I will learn whether or not it was a good choice... haha. I am more hoping that the AM gear will be more than enough for non-rugged workout riding and then I will be fine to move into rougher terrain when I have lost enough weight to feel comfortable on it. I really do appreciate eveyone's advise and I believe I have hit everyone with some rep to show my appreciation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373982833.788088.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	816493Here you go MTBWolf......Fork is standard issue, bar is a 9er Carbon flat top with ODI grips, post is an Easton Haven 27.2.......Love this set up.
    OT PSA: Home Depot sells orange electrical tape that works well for protecting the fragile Luddite paint. I saw your down tube "guard" and also have the bike.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    OT PSA: Home Depot sells orange electrical tape that works well for protecting the fragile Luddite paint. I saw your down tube "guard" and also have the bike.
    Thanks for the heads up on the orange tape SSHack I have a "real" down tube protector now it's made by lizard skin and it's called carbon leather....purchased at Jenson USA. Still riding your Luddite? Carbon parts for 29er SS?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374037716.875573.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast