Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    neeeds donation$ for bike

carbon bits from ebay

mtbr member
    640mm!? 750mm on my bikes, thanks.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

i ride singletrack in tight woods. zipping next to trees and such. thanks though

mtbr member
    Heh, us CO folks do get kinda spoiled. Most of our stuff is rocks and not so much w/ dense vegetation...but there are spots.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    If you're comfortable with it, buy it. Ride on!
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No name carbon is not something I would recommend. I'd like to see the certs on the bars also. Supposedly Eurto and Japanese certifed..
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-20-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    No name carbon is not something I would recommend. I'd like to see the certs on the bars also. Supposedly Euro and Japanese certified.
    yeah i understand that. the stem is a little contro to me. I have decided against that as i am a thomson seat post and stem fan already. The bars look to be bontrager; I can handle that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw View Post
    The bars look to be bontrager; I can handle that.
    But, can you handle it if they are Bontrager imitations? I see a lot of Bonty and FSA stuff on alibaba that i would swear are all knock offs.

i will handle it haha. the bontrager is some reassurance though. $30.00 for some carbon bars, if i dont like em, i will sell em locally for $forty.

mtbr member
    Its not if you don't like them, its if they will snap on you while blazing though the rock garden. Just because it says Bontrager doesn't mean they actually made it. I have also purchased "inexpensive" bars from ebay before, so, i'm not trying to persuade you away from these. I only want you to be fully informed of the possible risks. One of the bars i bought was the Syncros AM bar. It even has reinforced ends for bar ends. I also prefer ordering from a USA based company. If something goes wrong, i want to know who to talk to.

they (bars) should be reliable enough for what they are designed for. the even stated this in the add: Passed Europe Sandards and the JAPAN JIS Standards.

mtbr member
    Looks legit. Alot of people get carbon bars made at the same factory.then put tjier own sticker on them . These seem to be surplus bars and the factory just paints em them selves..
    Or these are bars that got kicked out for quality control and no other company would buy em so the factory sells em them selves....

About the only thing i buy top quality on my bike are the handle bars. Thers no way for them to break without ruining your life

mtbr member
    I don't know man. That price seems ridiculous. I have been wary of carbon for a long time. I think a lot more research and development goes into the bigger name bars. My Ritchey WCS carbon bar was 183.00. That gives me a (possibly false) sense of security. No offense, but I wouldn't ride around the block on a 30.00 carbon bar. Will you be attaching shifters, brake levers? Stem? Hope you have an accurate torque wrench.

im wary as you are of carbon. I will check them out closer when they get to my hands from china. If i feel they are sketchy then they will just be a nice red tagged addition to the parts bin.

hence the reason i only want to spend 30 dollars on them

mtbr member
    I've got ones like that from ebay, and a seatpost. but they are not painted. no issues so far. carbon bars and stem is a risk though. more risk in the stem I think. if that breaks there goes your whole handlebar. if your handlebar breaks at least you have the other half hopefully to control the bike with. I think most name brand carbon bars have a recommended 2 year replacement from the maker. I don't have any more faith in bars with a name brand on them either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Been running a no name chinese bar from Ebay for awhile now. I have done a few endurance races with them as well. Cannot tell a difference between this and a "name" bar. Maybe there is, and the potential for failure is there, but it is with any bar. Plus you would hard pressed to convince me that this bar is not what is being private labeled right now.

mtbr member
    Some of you guys are incredibly gullible and trusting. I only hope that your product does not fail. I won't order from any company if I don't have an address and telephone number. I have checked through google earth and one very popular carbon fiber parts manufacturer came up as an apartment building. In another case, there was no physical address at all. Most of the companies selling through Internet do not have a commodity inspection sheet because they are shipping through courier companies and getting around the inspection....just about envy time I check what the Chinese manufacturers say has been nothing but a lie....but then again you guys don't check like I do......

mtbr member
    Every bar works great right before it snaps.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not pulling for or against, but what's the deal with these?
    New Mountain Bike Carbon Fiber Handlebar Carbon Bicycle Handlebar 31 8 640mm | eBay

Clear Ripoff of Ritchey, or same source as Ritchey selling under the table? Seems like Ripoffs would get reported and filtered out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I see some negative reviews for items being counterfeit now. The ebay store has existed since Jan 2012. Surprised ebay lets a clear counterfeiter keep going.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    I see some negative reviews for items being counterfeit now. The ebay store has existed since Jan 2012. Surprised ebay lets a clear counterfeiter keep going.
    What you don't understand is that they are all Trading Companies, stop them and they recreate under a different name. You all think they are the mfr, but they are not. A very good friend of mine goes to trade shows in China and told me that they go to booths and the brochures show a huge factory and when you go to check them out you realize they operate out of a warehouse. I know of one ccompany being used here that has a pretty good reputation. Their quality improved between last year and this year. Everyone thinks that their quality improved.....not so, the factory they were using went out of business and they had a find another manufacturer. They stopped the warranty from the old mfr. and did not honor it....there have also been many situations where if you complain too much, tyhey cut you off and will not respond to e-mails. The prices are very cheap and I will admit that.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    Not pulling for or against, but what's the deal with these?
    New Mountain Bike Carbon Fiber Handlebar Carbon Bicycle Handlebar 31 8 640mm | eBay

Clear Ripoff of Ritchey, or same source as Ritchey selling under the table? Seems like Ripoffs would get reported and filtered out.
    Incredible what they get away with....

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    Some of you guys are incredibly gullible and trusting.
    Less gullible and trusting than someone who spends way more money on a virtually identical product, just because of the name that's painted on it?

...Just sayin'.

personally I know I'm hard on stuff AND I don't like to spend money, so I stay away from carbon bars altogether. If I have to worry about bolt torque when mounting up my shifters and brake levers, it's too dainty for me. I'll ride beefy aluminum bars (not that they're immune to failure) and try to shed a few ounces by eating less.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Less gullible and trusting than someone who spends way more money on a virtually identical product, just because of the name that's painted on it?

...Just sayin'.

personally I know I'm hard on stuff AND I don't like to spend money, so I stay away from carbon bars altogether. If I have to worry about bolt torque when mounting up my shifters and brake levers, it's too dainty for me. I'll ride beefy aluminum bars (not that they're immune to failure) and try to shed a few ounces by eating less.
    Well I must admit that there are a bunch of companies.....not just cycling companies that pay nothing for stuff in China and come over here and charge an arm and a leg. However, those very same companies have liability insurance and have had some developmental costs. Whenever you export in large quantities from China there is a government QC program and there is something called a commodity inspection report. The gov't knows that they have to improve the quality and trying to change their image. These small companies sending by mail and small courier do not get caught because of the sheer volume when you use that method. Some of these products are coming from small factories with less than 10 people.....I am not stopping you from buying, but you need to know what the risks are....I don't approve of copying a persons designs and throwing the same decal on it, that is just plain theft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast