Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Can't find a seat bag I like

I am posting this in the 29r section because I feel like the larger tubes make it harder to find a good seat bag. I was using an awesome strap last season and I thought I found the solution. But I got back from my ride yesterday and I lost my tube multi tool and leavers. So I guess its back to a set bag. My problem is I hate all the bags I find. The ones that take a 29r tube well are all too wide. Trek use to make an really nice long narrow bag. I would really like something longer but not wider and with some other way to attach to the seatpost other then a Velcro strap.

mtbr member
    26' tubes work fine on 29" wheels. And if necessary, you can assist a rider with a flat regardless of what wheels they're running.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i leave the tools in the seat bag, tube in my camelbak. Gives more flexibility with seat bags.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    i leave the tools in the seat bag, tube in my camelbak. Gives more flexibility with seat bags.
    I don't ride with a camelbak vary much. I only use one for longer endurance races and really long rides when I know I can't stop any place to get water. I just don't like having any thing on my back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I don't ride with a camelbak vary much. I only use one for longer endurance races and really long rides when I know I can't stop any place to get water. I just don't like having any thing on my back.
    I would tape the tube to the seatpost then and put tools in the bag.

official eMpTyBRain
    Switch to tubeless. No more flats, and only take a tube with you in a Camelbak for long rides.

I use a Specialized saddle bag for short rides. Just a chain tool, a few quick links, a small multi-tool, and a CO2 inflator along with 2 cartridges inside. If I have major break down, I can walk it out or home or call for help.

My Camelbak is loaded with stuff and I only use that for long, remote rides.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I recently got one of these straps and like it a lot.
    Backcountry Research - Makers of the AWESOME STRAPS

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a Bontrager one that I've been really happy with. It's the Pro Seat Pack. I think mine is the 50 cu.in. It's just big enough to fit a 29er tube, multitool, co2, and tire lever. It keeps everything nice and tight so it doesn't bounce around

They make a version that uses their "interchange quick clip" system you could check out since you are looking for something that doesn't attach by velcro

Bontrager: Pro Seat Pack (Model #11040)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I hate packs and seat bags. I rubber band my tube to my Blackburn Mountain Pump, and put it in my middle jersey pocket. Never lose either.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I hate packs and seat bags. I rubber band my tube to my Blackburn Mountain Pump, and put it in my middle jersey pocket. Never lose either.
    I hate the feeling of anything in the jersey back pocket. I also hate the feeling of a Camelbak on me but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Seat bag quality kind of sucks, in general. They all seem to fail on me, but some last longer than others.

Jannd are good. They aren't perfect, but they are better than most. Just get one that doesn't have velcro straps around the seat rails, those don't hold up ime.

The mini mountain wedge and mountain wedge II are the ones I have used. They have straps around the seatpost, so I can't help you there. Maybe their tubular bag is long and narrow like you want, never seen one.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Can't find a seat bag I like

They're not high capacity, but the timbuk2 (large) bags are really durable and I've yet to have a problem with it coming off my seat. It has 3 velcro straps... Two for the seat and one for the seat post. You can fit a tube, tool, levers, co2 cartridge/pump and keys.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat.

Ditched the Camelback a few years ago.

Don't like a seat bag ... stuff rattles, gets wet then rusty if exposed to moisture, and I hate how it looks on my rigid ss.

Been carrying my kit in a small pouch in my jersey pocket for the last couple of years. Tube, multi-tool, 2 CO2's with nozzle, piece of chain, quick-link, spare key, and a band-aid. Not in love with that set-up, either.

SPP
    Rigid.

Always Learning
    I am posting this in the 29r section because I feel like the larger tubes make it harder to find a good seat bag. I was using an awesome strap last season and I thought I found the solution. But I got back from my ride yesterday and I lost my tube multi tool and leavers. So I guess its back to a set bag. My problem is I hate all the bags I find. The ones that take a 29r tube well are all too wide. Trek use to make an really nice long narrow bag. I would really like something longer but not wider and with some other way to attach to the seatpost other then a Velcro strap.
    You could always get a frame pack instead of a seat bag. They come in several sizes (depending on how much gear you want to carry) and that will eliminate your legs hitting a seat bag that is too wide.

mtbr member
    What BB said. I got tired of a back pack in the summer heat, esp when I don't need space for extra just-in-case clothing. The medium Revelate Tangle fits my Bandersnatch nicely and holds a fair amount of gear. The Revelates cost more, but are extremely well made. There are other options out there, such as Jandd.

Attachment 820167
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Plays with tools
    I put my tube, co2 and multi tool in a quart sized freezer bag and stick it in my jersey pocket. It packs pretty flat and doesn't move around. I swore off saddle bags years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    I have the Mutherload strap from Backcountry Research and use it to hold my tube and big air CO2. I keep it under the front of the frame triangle on my Epic. Then I have one of their bags that I carry my tire tool, multitool, etc in my jersey pocket. My legs always rub on seatbags so I found the best solution was no seatbag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride with a small wedge bag under my saddle and fit everything in I need. I use a Topeak Aero Wedge Small strap mount. I have a 29 tube, multi-tool and a CO2 inflator and extra CO2 cartridge.
    It doesn't rattle and I hit plenty of jumps and it's stayed secured.
    I don't wear jerseys with pockets, but there are enough things on the trail to hit in a crash, I don't need to add any in a Jersey.
    TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Aero Wedge Pack, small (Strap Mount)

Can't find a seat bag I like-img_4920.jpg
    Can't find a seat bag I like-img_4921.jpgCan't find a seat bag I like-img_4922.jpg
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i use a timbuk2 seat bag that is about the same size as the one above, it actually came with my first bike that i bought used , it fits my work cell, my car keys, and a multi tool and some cash however im looking for a bigger bag.....not much into the camel baks for my daily riding and those straps wont hold my work cell....

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    I've been using these for years. All I need unless it's a super-long race.

mtbr member
    Another Awesome Strap user here. I used the Race II strap for a 29" tube, tire lever, and 16 gram CO2+inflator. I can't see how it would ever fall out. I use their Tul Bag for my other stuff and toss in my jersey pocket. Love this set up. I use a hydration pack only for longer more remote rides. Sounds like you just need to get the tools out of the strap and into your jersey pocket.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bixby View Post
    i use a timbuk2 seat bag that is about the same size as the one above, it actually came with my first bike that i bought used , it fits my work cell, my car keys, and a multi tool and some cash however im looking for a bigger bag.....not much into the camel baks for my daily riding and those straps wont hold my work cell....
    You can get the same bag I posted above in a medium size.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Another Awesome Strap user here. I used the Race II strap for a 29" tube, tire lever, and 16 gram CO2+inflator. I can't see how it would ever fall out. I use their Tul Bag for my other stuff and toss in my jersey pocket. Love this set up. I use a hydration pack only for longer more remote rides. Sounds like you just need to get the tools out of the strap and into your jersey pocket.
    Maybe I am thinking about giving it another try.

mtbr member
    Maybe I am thinking about giving it another try.
    Good move.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I'm trying to keep as much as I can out of my pockets. I'm on a full suspension with only one water bottle mount. I usually have a second water bottle in my center pocket. I don't want too much crap back there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast