Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can't find a seat bag I like

7K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  pulser 
#1 ·
I am posting this in the 29r section because I feel like the larger tubes make it harder to find a good seat bag. I was using an awesome strap last season and I thought I found the solution. But I got back from my ride yesterday and I lost my tube multi tool and leavers. So I guess its back to a set bag. My problem is I hate all the bags I find. The ones that take a 29r tube well are all too wide. Trek use to make an really nice long narrow bag. I would really like something longer but not wider and with some other way to attach to the seatpost other then a Velcro strap.

#6 ·
Switch to tubeless. No more flats, and only take a tube with you in a Camelbak for long rides.

I use a Specialized saddle bag for short rides. Just a chain tool, a few quick links, a small multi-tool, and a CO2 inflator along with 2 cartridges inside. If I have major break down, I can walk it out or home or call for help.

My Camelbak is loaded with stuff and I only use that for long, remote rides.

#8 ·
I have a Bontrager one that I've been really happy with. It's the Pro Seat Pack. I think mine is the 50 cu.in. It's just big enough to fit a 29er tube, multitool, co2, and tire lever. It keeps everything nice and tight so it doesn't bounce around

They make a version that uses their "interchange quick clip" system you could check out since you are looking for something that doesn't attach by velcro

Bontrager: Pro Seat Pack (Model #11040)

#11 ·
Seat bag quality kind of sucks, in general. They all seem to fail on me, but some last longer than others.

Jannd are good. They aren't perfect, but they are better than most. Just get one that doesn't have velcro straps around the seat rails, those don't hold up ime.

The mini mountain wedge and mountain wedge II are the ones I have used. They have straps around the seatpost, so I can't help you there. Maybe their tubular bag is long and narrow like you want, never seen one.

#13 ·
I'm in the same boat.

Ditched the Camelback a few years ago.

Don't like a seat bag ... stuff rattles, gets wet then rusty if exposed to moisture, and I hate how it looks on my rigid ss.

Been carrying my kit in a small pouch in my jersey pocket for the last couple of years. Tube, multi-tool, 2 CO2's with nozzle, piece of chain, quick-link, spare key, and a band-aid. Not in love with that set-up, either.

SPP

#15 ·
What BB said. I got tired of a back pack in the summer heat, esp when I don't need space for extra just-in-case clothing. The medium Revelate Tangle fits my Bandersnatch nicely and holds a fair amount of gear. The Revelates cost more, but are extremely well made. There are other options out there, such as Jandd.

View attachment 820167

#18 ·
I ride with a small wedge bag under my saddle and fit everything in I need. I use a Topeak Aero Wedge Small strap mount. I have a 29 tube, multi-tool and a CO2 inflator and extra CO2 cartridge.
It doesn't rattle and I hit plenty of jumps and it's stayed secured.
I don't wear jerseys with pockets, but there are enough things on the trail to hit in a crash, I don't need to add any in a Jersey.
Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Aero Wedge Pack, small (Strap Mount)

Personal protective equipment Grey Walking shoe Outdoor shoe Silver

Synthetic rubber Plastic
Carbon Tool Safety glove Glove Still life photography

#19 ·
i use a timbuk2 seat bag that is about the same size as the one above, it actually came with my first bike that i bought used , it fits my work cell, my car keys, and a multi tool and some cash however im looking for a bigger bag.....not much into the camel baks for my daily riding and those straps wont hold my work cell....

#21 ·
Another Awesome Strap user here. I used the Race II strap for a 29" tube, tire lever, and 16 gram CO2+inflator. I can't see how it would ever fall out. I use their Tul Bag for my other stuff and toss in my jersey pocket. Love this set up. I use a hydration pack only for longer more remote rides. Sounds like you just need to get the tools out of the strap and into your jersey pocket.

#30 ·
+1 on the Lyzene bags. I am using the M-Caddy. It has built in slots for cash, 2 tire levers and seperate storage underneath for a multitool which allows you to use without pulling everything out. It fits a 29er tube and 1 CO2. It is a snug fit so no rattling. It does use Velcro to attach but the straps are thick. No issues so far. It is also narrow enough that you won't rub your legs on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.