mtbr member
    May 2011

Cane Creek Thudbuster LT ST

I have searched and read a couple reviews on this seat post. I love ridding my hardtail again but my pubic bone does not. I tend to stand on climbs and descents so that is not an issue but riding on fast rooty single track is doing its toll. How well do these posts work with this type of terrain? Thanks to anyone who has first hand experience.

mtbr member
    Hi, I've used both long and short travel models for many years. I still use an ST on my SS road bike / tank. I find this one perfect for the road but not for trails. I had a Long Travel also for many years on a few hardtails (I raced with it) and after a short learning phase, and making sure you have the right elastomer for your weight, I think it is hard to beat. People say that it changes your position relative to the pedals and the handlebar, yes it does but after a short while, you adjust to it and the benefits outweigh everything else. I regret selling it actually...

Johnnydrz

B.Ike
    my main riding buddy uses one on his ss karate monkey. he loves it.

loud hubs save lives
    i have an ST on my SS, it definitely takes the edge off

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've used the long travel one on a Niner MCR and felt it was extremely beneficial, especially on the root laden trails I ride. Before using it, I would get lower back pain by the end of a ride but this went away after installing the CC post. I could tell the seat was moving in relation to the rest of the bike but it was never an issue with pedaling. The only negative I found was that the rebound could sometimes be quite noticeable. During the end of rides, as I got more tired out and just sat my fat ass on the seat, if I hit a particularly nasty bump, I would really feel the seat rebounding. Of course this was also when I really needed the suspension action to take the edge off of said nasty bumps, so it was a fair trade off. Overall, I think the Thudbuster was a huge part of me enjoying a hardtail as much as I did. I finally said eff it and bought a RIP9, so the MCR is now in monstercross type dress and enjoying light off road duty, sans Thudbuster. Hope this helps some.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a Thud LT on my Flash 29er. I love it; I can stay seated on climbs 100% of the time, and on most flats. I usually get out of the saddle only on descents. I use an elastomer combination that is one setting softer than what's recommended for my weight. It definitely eases pain on the lower back (though if you're having pain in your pubic bone, it may be a saddle issue, not a suspension issue).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the first hand knowledge. It looks like this is just what I need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use a carbon XCR, best of both worlds, and it isn't uggly

Mojo