mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Can I damage the headtube ? Running 100mm on a frame designed for 80mm

Buying a used 2011 Specialized Carve frame, which I would like to pair with a 100mm Tower Pro that I have. The frame was designed to be used with a 80mm travel fork.

I don't want to spend more money buying a new fork (can't adjust travel in the Manitou). I know that geometry will change. I'm OK with that.

But some people told me I risk eventually damaging the headtube, since a longer travel fork would stress the headtube more than it was designed to take.

The Carve's HT is tapered and so is the Manitou. The Manitou also has a 15mm axle so things will be pretty stiff.

Any thoughts on this ? Opinions ?

mtbr member
    Well, the longer travel fork will give a little more leverage on the HT, but how much, really? My thoughts, knee jerk style, are it's not going to be a problem, because I doubt the frame was built to handle "Just exactly the normal amount of stress that will be placed on the HT by this length fork." As such, it's pretty likely that it would deal with the longer fork just fine, provided you don't try to see exactly how much additional force you CAN apply with an extra 2.5cm of length on the fork.

The other side of that is fatigue. If there is just a little more force exerted on the HT then over time the cumulative stress could be what kills it. But again, I think that's picking nits. Because I think you could make up the differences just in how hard one person rides as opposed to another person.

On the whole, I'd say go for it. It shouldn't be an issue.

High Gravity Haze
    The only times I might be concerned about too much suspension travel would be:

1. If someone was trying to pair up a 150mm+ travel fork on a frame optimized for 80-100mm and the frame was clearly not gusseted or reinforced at the head tube. Old example was the pairing of a Marzocchi Super Monster T fork on something like a Stumpjumper HT
    2. If the frame maker specifically states a maximum suspension travel and that exceeding that specification voids all warranties. That's usually a sign to me that the frame was not designed for or tested beyond that max travel spec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would not be concerned about that little difference in travel. Like Spec 7 stated if you were to run a 150 or even for that matter a 120, I might be concerned. I know a lot of frames that can run a 80-100 travel with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tks everybody. My feeling is the same. I should be riding and having fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    put a 100mm manitou tower pro on my hardrock that came with a 80mm fork, last year and no problems at all.

J-

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would think it would be fine. From what I have read a 20mm increase in travel will keep most bikes in warranty. I personally have turned my Trek Mamba into a Stache-lite. I am running 120mm fork on my frame. It has been working fine for a year and a half.

mtbr member
    Been running a 120mm fork on my CDale HT for 2 years now.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Plays with tools
    You need to bump up travel several inches to have legitimate concerns about this. If you ride your XC bike like a cross country bike you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just bumped up my Reba to 115mm(120?) from 100mm last week.

I figure that that the most amount of force on the fork is when I am bombing down a hill at fast speed. With my weight moved to the front and brake dive alone I am already losing a couple inches of travel. (that is why I bumped it up) This brings it back into the recommended range for my frame. Plus since I like mine fairly loose it means that the only time it sits at the highest is really when I am going up a hill(little strain) or on flat trails with little bumps(again little strain). The negative air chamber preload also brings it down 5mm or so too.

So I am not too worried, but I guess if I crack my frame in a month I will take it all back.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That frame can handle a 100mm travel....but that's about IT. You will actually like the stability and ride feel.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"