mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Busted my Haven Carbon bars - replacement?

Wrecked during the Dakota Five O this past weekend - clipped a tree with my right side bar (not the broken side) and went OTB, headfirst into a huge tree... was washing the bike off on tuesday and realized that I had broken my 3 week old Easton Haven Carbon bars.

I had a perfectly round concentric series of bruises on my knee, which I matched up to the bottom of my front shifter, and the break in the carbon was right where the shifter mounting bracket went around the bar, so that's where things went south for me.

1. Damn!
    2. Huck n' Roll said 'here's an RMA and a shipping label - send it on back and we'll replace it', so thumbs up to them.
    3. I can flex the break open a little bit, but I rode another 25 miles of the heaviest descents of the Five O on this thing without breaking it off, and without noticing that anything had happened, that's how stiff it was. Both the break and the bar's ability to keep going after it are a testament to the +/- of carbon, I guess.
    4. The 2012 Haven bar is not in stock, and they aren't sure if they can get one... I can wait a couple weeks for a 2013, but I thought I should at least see if there are any other bars I should take a look at (including non carbon bars).

I'd like to keep weight down (I lost about a quarter pound going from the alloy bars to these bars), but I don't want to keep breaking bars, either. It seemed that these bars had a very good reputation to begin with, so maybe I should just chalk it up to bad luck and replace them. I liked the rise, sweep, etc., and that the damping of the carbon resulted in less hand numbness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Busted my Haven Carbon bars - replacement?-img_0661%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Havoc carbon bar...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Havoc seems like too much bar for a trail bike... weight is around what a good alloy bar would be, though clearly I'd cut that monster down... 711mm on the Haven seemed perfect to me. I'd have to cut 4cm off of the Havoc to get down to that width, which seems like a lot?

DIY all the way
    Could you do me a favor, and see if you can break the bar completely in two?
    If so, please take a photo of it, where it's possible to see the break real close.

I have been wondering exactly how the layup is of those Easton bars, and if in luck, such a pic may give a good hint.
    Paying interest to this stuff as I make carbon bars myself, so I'd like to compare, and maybe pick up an idea or two.

Magura

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry... I already packaged it up and my wife is dropping it at UPS today.

DIY all the way
    Well, too late then.

Thanks anyway.

Magura

the train keeps rollin
    Wow, free replacement for wrecked bars, that's some CS.. I'd try the Enve Riser Bars.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LookerBob View Post
    4. The 2012 Haven bar is not in stock, and they aren't sure if they can get one... I can wait a couple weeks for a 2013, but I thought I should at least see if there are any other bars I should take a look at (including non carbon bars).
    Wait for your new Havens!
    Enve, Raceface and the Answer bars are similarly solid, but Easton will probably give you a new set free or for a nominal fee. They did that for me when I broke an old set of CNT dh bars.

In the mean time, cheap set of second hand alu bars? I have some very old Chromags kicking around for emergency use. Any reasonably burly bar for under $30 delivered so you can keep riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, I have a set of Truvativ Stylo T20s on there right now to keep me riding... they are basically fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LookerBob View Post
    Havoc seems like too much bar for a trail bike... weight is around what a good alloy bar would be, though clearly I'd cut that monster down... 711mm on the Haven seemed perfect to me. I'd have to cut 4cm off of the Havoc to get down to that width, which seems like a lot?
    I went to the Havoc specifically for the meat and width, and not weight savings. That said, a DH class bar with its width at the weight of a good XC aluminum bar...pfff, I'd ride that all day long! I have mine bolted to the front of a TBLTc and just friggin' WOW!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I second the Enve Riser bar. Just a tad bit shorter, but an awesome product and similar price.