mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Building a bike from the ground up.

I'm about to purchase a 2012 Santa Cruz tallboy frame with fork for $500 and my question is what's the best way to purchase components?

mtbr member
    It depends on how much money you have to spend, and how my time you'd like to take finding good deals.

If you have a big budget, just talk to your LBS and they can hook you up with the exact right parts and even help with installing things that require special tools like a headset press. You'll get a lot of expertise and help with assembly, but you'll also pay more for your parts than you would online.

On the other hand, if you want to keep the cost as low as possible, you need to do lots of research for good deals online. My favorite places to shop are UniversalCycles.com, PricePoint.com, JensonUSA.com, and Amazon.com. Some offer free shipping, others just rock bottom priced items, so you have to shop it around.

Use the Santa Cruz website and see what parts they spec on their kits. They also have information about what size bottom brackets, derailleurs, fork, etc that will fit on their frames.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    156 Q factor cranksets fit aluminum tallboys. lower demand, good place to save money on your build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Building a bike from the ground up.

Find the specs of the frame.

Buy parts that fit those specs.

Good luck! It's a pain in the ass but very rewarding in the end to have such a custom build where you picked out every component down to the chain. Always check for compatibility. Always check if you need adapters to make it fit.

I pretty much bought all my stuff brand new on my recent build through universal cycles. VIP15 code gives orders over $300 15% off. Used that code a lot. Saved me a few hundred easily.

Only labor I paid for was the bottom bracket and headset. Everything else was done in the garage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are groupsets over prices?

2013 New Shimano XT Disc Brake Group Groupset 9 Speed 7pc | eBay

$700 seems fair for everything I'd need (I'm actually looking for a 10 speed). I'm thinking I'll have around $1200 to invest in parts. So that'd leave me $500 for a wheels, saddle, post, headset, and bars.

Cow Clicker
    Spec it out at PricePoint.com, Jensen, etc. and then take that spec sheet to a couple of your LBSs and give 'em a shot at competing. You might be surprised at what they are willing to do.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just did a quick search and found these prices.

These are all XT prices.

Crank - $250
    Brakes - $125 x 2 = 250
    Chain - $45
    Casset - $80
    Front D - $60
    Rear D - $80
    BB - $40
    Shifters $130
    - Total - $935

Why are component groups from Universal Cycles $100 more?

Cow Clicker
    You're going to need:

Bar
    Stem
    Grips
    Headset
    Tires
    Wheels
    Shifters
    Brakes
    Rotors
    Crank
    Bottom bracket
    Pedals
    Clamp
    Chain
    Cassette
    Front d
    Rear d
    Cables
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    The real question is, where did you find a Tallboy with fork for $500? Even used, that's a good price.

ijd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This groupset is decent and a good price. It also includes additional parts like bars, stem & saddle. Sram X7 GXP MTB Build Kit > Components > Build Kits and Grouppos | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    I would check with BikerBob on this stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    bikecomponents.de for Shimano brakes and drive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You can also do pretty well buying slightly used items on ebay. I built mine from the ground up and I have a 70/30 mix of new and slightly used components. I built it up 2x10 with SRAM XX and X9. I found the XX crankset for around 225.00 with very minor scratches from shoe rub. I also watched for the free shipping and % off deals from the sites mentioned in the previous posts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    The real question is, where did you find a Tallboy with fork for $500? Even used, that's a good price.
    I've got a buddy with a good hookup. And I was wrong it's a 29er Blur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ijd View Post
    This groupset is decent and a good price. It also includes additional parts like bars, stem & saddle. Sram X7 GXP MTB Build Kit > Components > Build Kits and Grouppos | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Isn't the X7 group comparable to the slx?

ijd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yea X7 is comparable to SLX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT View Post
    And I was wrong it's a 29er Blur.
    No such beast. Unless your buddy has a really good hookup.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Try BikerBob. He hooked me up with my full XT setup when I built my bike last year. But first you need to figure out what kind of frame it is. There is no 29er Blur. And if you only have $1200 for all the parts, you will need to go for a less expensive gruppo like X7 or SLX. Be sure to save money for good wheels and saddle.

ballbuster
    I'm about to purchase a 2012 Santa Cruz tallboy frame with fork for $500 and my question is what's the best way to purchase components?
    Wow, that is a ridiculously low price for a used Tallboy. Better double check to be sure it isn't stolen.

One other way to get components on the cheap.... buy a Motobecane Fantom 29er with a Reba fork from bikesdirect.com, and rob it for as many of the parts as you can. Sell the frame on craigslist for $100, or save it for a later build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    merlin cycles has xt groupsets for 650 ish and slx for 400-500. it looked like the were out of stock on the xt, I didnt check slx.

mtbr member
    Are groupsets over prices?

2013 New Shimano XT Disc Brake Group Groupset 9 Speed 7pc | eBay

$700 seems fair for everything I'd need (I'm actually looking for a 10 speed). I'm thinking I'll have around $1200 to invest in parts. So that'd leave me $500 for a wheels, saddle, post, headset, and bars.
    500.00 left over for wheels, saddle, post, headset, and bars is not nearly enough. You need to think this build out better. Wheels and hubs are where you don't want to skimp.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Agree - $500 remaining for parts is not gonna get you much. Go used for saddle, post, bars and even pedals. I believe your gonna have to dig deeper for your new build.

I allocated below $3000 for my 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro build. Well, I'm currently over budget at $3600, simply because dealing with carbon is tricky and I want everything done right. Am I regretting it? Hell to the NO....not when my bike retailed for almost $7300!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"