mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Building a 29er-- Component Questions!

Hey, I'm building my first 29er! I currently have a Salsa Horsethief frame and I'm curious about what components people have used that have performed well. My budget for a groupset is around $650-800, depending. I intend to be riding this bike in areas as different as Michigan and California, so it'll need to be a pretty good all mountain bike.

I would like to do 2X10, but I'm not opposed to a 3X10 because I don't know where I'll be riding, and hydraulic brakes would be nice.

I know this is pretty general, I'm just trying to get an idea of components.

Thanks!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Shimano SLX, but possibly XT all around. Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires, DT Swiss wheels.
    As for seat, stem, bar, grips and pedals, those should be your choices to make.
    As for fork, you will not have enough money left over. Try to spend at least $500 on a fork, RockShox Recon Gold would be good.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been looking at the Shimano SLX and Deore XT groupsets. How big of a difference is there between SLX and XT versions?

I've also been looking at Rockshox Reba 120mm, I think I'm pretty set on that.

I have bars, etc. on an old bike that I could use, although I think for the sake of building the bike I'll go the all the way.

turtles make me hot
    SLX it out. You'll not know the difference and you'll save some money.

Reba's cool.

Find a wheelset with Hope Pro2 hubs and Stan's Flow EX rims. Probably cheaper than DT Swiss wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrToogood View Post
    Hey, I'm building my first 29er! I currently have a Salsa Horsethief frame and I'm curious about what components people have used that have performed well. My budget for a groupset is around $650-800, depending. I intend to be riding this bike in areas as different as Michigan and California, so it'll need to be a pretty good all mountain bike.

I would like to do 2X10, but I'm not opposed to a 3X10 because I don't know where I'll be riding, and hydraulic brakes would be nice.

I know this is pretty general, I'm just trying to get an idea of components.

Thanks!
    Honestly 800 dollars is a little on the low end due to the high price of forks.
    I live and ride in MI and I have a recon silver that handles everything I've encountered here. ITs way cheaper than the Gold but has added weight and thats the tradeoff.

If you do not have a wheels set this will be really tough. it is good to spend around 400 on a wheelset
    summary:
    fork 200
    wheelset 400
    GOOD tires 100

Thats 700 hundred right there.
    Cheap hydros will be at least 80-100 bones for a set
    you can skimp on and buy the entry level drivetrain components
    But

Honestly save up your money and do it right. Your wheels tires and brakes are the things you feel the most when you ride.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by DrToogood View Post
    I've been looking at the Shimano SLX and Deore XT groupsets. How big of a difference is there between SLX and XT versions?

I've also been looking at Rockshox Reba 120mm, I think I'm pretty set on that.

I have bars, etc. on an old bike that I could use, although I think for the sake of building the bike I'll go the all the way.
    The Reba alone is $600, and a pair of SLX brakes are $200, so there is all of your money spent. I have a Recon Silver, and while it can be better, it is fine. That fork costs $200, the Gold is $300. Then you can have extra money to buy a $150 SLX drivetrain and $80 for a nice set of tires.
    But then you will still not have enough money for a good set of wheels.
    Just try to spend more money on components or you will not like your bike.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was just talking about $650 for drive train and brakes, sorry for the lack of clarity.

I'm pretty set on getting the Rockshox Reba.

I have a connection for factor priced wheels, so I'll probably get a set for around $200.

Any thoughts on headsets?

Oh, and this is a winter project. I'm in no rush to build the bike and want it to be the bike I'll be riding for a while. Needless to say, I do not want to cut corners on quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nothing fancy on the headset, Cane Creek 40.

unrooted

mtbr member
    I'm running a mix of SLX and XT parts on my build.

SLX: 2X crank, shifters

XT: FD,RD,brakes.

KMC chain, SRAM 1030 cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the link unrooted!

Re: Building a 29er-- Component Questions!

Really, if you want a good priced fork that is well reviewed, and available in 120... you aren't going to beat the X-Fusion Slide. Remote lockout too for under the price of a Reba.

X-Fusion Slide RL2
    X-Fusion Slide RL2

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I found SLX to be so marginally cheaper than XT that I went all XT to get the weight savings I think it was less than $100 when all was said and done.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I found SLX to be so marginally cheaper than XT that I went all XT to get the weight savings I think it was less than $100 when all was said and done.
    The money savings will seem even more marginal once you realize that the SLX stuff does not last as well as the XT line.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

rider
    Jan 2005
    I'd suggest you consider a Cane Creek 40 series headset. Reasonable cost & very good stuff.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think I'm set on the XT groupset at this point, as well as the Cane Creek 40 headset. Thanks for the advice on everything. I seriously cannot wait to start building this bike!

I'm curious of anyone has any input on the comparison between Rockshox Reba and X-Fusion Slide RL2. From everything that I've been able to find it's a complete toss-up between the two.