Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Budget for a frame up 29er FS build?

Would like some advice for how much money I'm going to need for a frame up build for a 29er FS agile trail bike. Would like XO/X9/ XT groupset in either 1x10 or 2x10. Probably going to go grip shift (new XO 10 speeds look awesome). XT brakes. Carbon bars and seat post. Remote lockouts on the shocks would be a huge plus, but definitely want higher end shocks (fox/ rockshox). Want quality parts for everything not mentioned already.

So what kind of coin will I be needing to reach my goal setup? Thanks in advance for your input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Frame: 700-2,500
    X0 Gruppo: 1,200
    Wheels: 500-2,000
    Stem: 60
    Bars: 100
    Seatpost: 100
    Saddle: 20-200
    Fork: 300-600
    Grips: 30
    Shock: 200-500 or 0

Total: $3,230+

XX1 Gruppo + $300
    XX Gruppo + $200
    X7 Gruppo - $500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Frame: 700-2,500
    X0 Gruppo: 1,200
    Wheels: 500-2,000
    Stem: 60
    Bars: 100
    Seatpost: 100
    Saddle: 20-200
    Fork: 300-600
    Grips: 30
    Shock: 200-500 or 0

Total: $3,230+

XX1 Gruppo + $300
    XX Gruppo + $200
    X7 Gruppo - $500
    I can see why so many people buy complete bikes lol, money doesn't get very far when your buying part by part. It's gotta be awesome to build what you really want though. Thanks for the run down Recitio.. You prefer doing your own build?

mtbr member
    Some websites (e.g., Competitive Cyclist - Road and Mountain Bikes, Framesets, Cycling Apparel, Road Bike and Mountain Bike Components, Cycling Accessories) offer "custom" build for "complete" bikes. That is, you can choose the complete bike, and they'll give you (somewhat limited) choices for components. But those are often high end bikes with high end components, typically priced over $4k.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    I can see why so many people buy complete bikes lol, money doesn't get very far when your buying part by part. It's gotta be awesome to build what you really want though. Thanks for the run down Recitio.. You prefer doing your own build?
    I'm pretty sure that it's significantly cheaper to build up from scratch. Are there any X0 Group carbon FS bikes under $3,500?

The Santa Cruz Tallboy XTR build is $8,000, for example.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    Some websites (e.g., Competitive Cyclist - Road and Mountain Bikes, Framesets, Cycling Apparel, Road Bike and Mountain Bike Components, Cycling Accessories) offer "custom" build for "complete" bikes. That is, you can choose the complete bike, and they'll give you (somewhat limited) choices for components. But those are often high end bikes with high end components, typically priced over $4k.
    Amazon is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-y-y-yy-y-y-y-yyyyy cheaper.

X0 Gruppo on Amazon: $1,200

X0 Gruppo on CompCyclist: $1,642

mtbr member
    Amazon is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-y-y-yy-y-y-y-yyyyy cheaper.

X0 Gruppo on Amazon: $1,200

X0 Gruppo on CompCyclist: $1,642
    I was looking on CompCyclist.. I thought ur numbers were low. I see amazon is cheaper and now I see where you got those. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you are obsessive like me, you can check stuff across Amazon, Chain Reaction, Blue Sky, and Google Shopping.

Amazon is consistently low, Chain Reaction is either super cheap or expensive, Blue Sky is always super cheap but limited selection, and Google Shopping has the occasional deal.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure that it's significantly cheaper to build up from scratch. Are there any X0 Group carbon FS bikes under $3,500?

Tallboy frame alone is between 2300-2800.. A quality build at 3,500 would be difficult. But you can get a complete bike at 3399.. 5899 for XX and carbon bits. I see now (thanks to Recitio) that with some homework you could work close to those numbers, but I don't believe in most instances buying separately would get you a lot more.

mtbr member

Also like to point out that 3500 was the low figure for every part.. High end total was 7210..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    Thanks 4nbstd , there's some pretty good deals there on complete bikes.. Good looking out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Santa Cruz is taking the piss with their frame price. The vaunted Chinese carbon FS is $700 shipped.

Where are you finding the 6k XX Tallboy C build?

mtbr member
    If you are obsessive like me, you can check stuff across Amazon, Chain Reaction, Blue Sky, and Google Shopping.

Amazon is consistently low, Chain Reaction is either super cheap or expensive, Blue Sky is always super cheap but limited selection, and Google Shopping has the occasional deal.
    Pretty obsessive.. Glad I'm not alone

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Also like to point out that 3500 was the low figure for every part.. High end total was 7210..
    The low end total is with all high end parts though - Reba fork, full X0, very nice aluminum wheels, full carbon seatpost / bars / etc - but Chinese frame.

The high end total is for carbon wheels, XX fork, and expensive frame.

I'll be the first to admit that getting the Chinese frame is sketchy - I don't have one - but it seems like most owners are quite happy with them, and it's saving $1,500+.

I'm also a Santa Cruz fanboy : )

mtbr member
    Tallboy carbon Recitio?

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz is taking the piss with their frame price. The vaunted Chinese carbon FS is $700 shipped.

Where are you finding the 6k XX Tallboy C build?
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/fr...ke--10838.html

mtbr member
    Recitio have you had biker bob price anything for you? I've had him price some little things and he's beat everyone's price significantly. A lot of people on this forum rave about him and his prices.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a SC V10 carbon for downhill, and a Sette carbon hardtail 29er. If I end up going FS 29er, and can't find a Tallboy carbon under $1,500, I'll get the Chinese FS 29.

Haven't used Biker Bob... it looks like he has a very limited selection... Are you emailing them and asking them to beat prices or something?

That is in fact a very nice build, and if you like to have it all assembled and ensure that everything fits properly, is a good way to go. However, I think you may find quite a bit of savings (around $1,000) by purchasing everything separately.

For example, check out these wheelset deals at CRC:

easton 29 | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    It's expensive but fun and rewarding to build your own. I will never buy a complete bike ever again. I'm a hardtail guy but parts is parts. The only thing that looked wrong in that spreadsheet was 600.00 for Fork. If you are looking at "higher end" forks, it is gonna start at about 800.00. I did pretty much the same thing, but 2012 stuff.....XO drivetrain, X0 brakes, Thomson, Hope, etc. and it has to be close to 4000.00 all told.
    So much fun though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey ghettocop,

Agree it is fun, but I also think that it's quite a bit cheaper too...

For my fork prices, I'm using Blue Sky Cycling:

$289 Recon Gold
    $350 Reba RL
    $380 Rebal RLT

For the highest end, Amazon has SID 29er forks from $610 thru $1,000.

mtbr member
    I have a SC V10 carbon for downhill, and a Sette carbon hardtail 29er. If I end up going FS 29er, and can't find a Tallboy carbon under $1,500, I'll get the Chinese FS 29.

Haven't used Biker Bob... it looks like he has a very limited selection... Are you emailing them and asking them to beat prices or something?

That is in fact a very nice build, and if you like to have it all assembled and ensure that everything fits properly, is a good way to go. However, I think you may find quite a bit of savings (around $1,000) by purchasing everything separately.

For example, check out these wheelset deals at CRC:

easton 29 | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com
    Great prices, but I've always been suspicious of buying "pre-built" wheels. Sure chain reaction declares they are "hand built", but by whom and how? I'd recommend finding a good local builder, and bring your hubs/rims to them. If you know how to lace yourself, all the better. I don't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Agree on the "prebuilt" wheels.

The ones which I linked to are factory though! Made and built by Easton, full Easton warranty.

mtbr member
    His website hasn't been updated in years. Pretty sure he only works through email now. You should really try emailing him he might be able to do better for you on things and there hasn't been anything I've asked for from tools to a bike stand that he hasn't been able to get for cheaper than I found elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    It's expensive but fun and rewarding to build your own. I will never buy a complete bike ever again. I'm a hardtail guy but parts is parts. The only thing that looked wrong in that spreadsheet was 600.00 for Fork. If you are looking at "higher end" forks, it is gonna start at about 800.00. I did pretty much the same thing, but 2012 stuff.....XO drivetrain, X0 brakes, Thomson, Hope, etc. and it has to be close to 4000.00 all told.
    So much fun though.
    What frame was your last build? And yeah I can imagine building your own would be awesome which is the reason I asked. Plus there's enough specific parts that I want that it makes sense to build. No reason to pick up a built bike to tear it all apart. I actually realized that while standing in a shop the other day looking at a new bike I was thinking about all the parts I would want to change.. Hit me maybe I should just build it myself.

mtbr member
    What frame was your last build? And yeah I can imagine building your own would be awesome which is the reason I asked. Plus there's enough specific parts that I want that it makes sense to build. No reason to pick up a built bike to tear it all apart. I actually realized that while standing in a shop the other day looking at a new bike I was thinking about all the parts I would want to change.. Hit me maybe I should just build it myself.
    Agree with you completely. After replacing every componet on my last "complete bike" I knew when it came time for new, it would be Frame only, for me. You can have a pretty one of a kind whip when you procure everything seperately. I hope you do it, and when you do, post a build thread. My frame was an Orbea Alma. There is a build thread on it in the 29er forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast