mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Broken chain so should I replace rear cassette also?

his may have been asked before but my chain broke today so I was wondering if I should replace the rear cassette as well. The bike is about a year old and I ride around 100 miles per week. I took a look at the teeth on the rear cassette and they look somewhat sharp and pointy. Is it advisable to just replace the rear cassette when you replace the chain as well? If not how do you know when it's time to replace the rear cassette. I ordered a chain measuring tool so if you catch the chain before it stretches should you still buy a rear cassette at the same time. Do you have the replace the front rings less often and how do you know when it's time to replace them as well. Thanks for the info. I am just getting back into biking so I have not replaced chains and cassettes before.

mtbr member
    check the chain with a tension tool ($5). If it's in the red/its dead. It could have broken because a freak thing and not necessarily worn.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Lots of reasons a chain can break, it's not necessarily because it is worn. Like Pauldotcom suggests, check it first to see if it is worn. If it's not, you should be able to just use a new chain (or repair the broken one) and be good to go. However, if you put on a new chain and it skips on the rear cassette, then you know you need to replace the cassette, too. If you know what the cassette teeth are supposed to look like, you can tell if it is worn, but many cassettes use different size/shape teeth in different positions to help shifting, so it's hard to tell if you don't know.

Yes, that's fonetic
    You can try replacing the chain first, if it skips you'll probably need a new cassette (and possibly chainring(s)).