mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Brakes on 29er build?

Any thoughts on these 2 type of brakes? Which is a better option? Hayes Stroker Gram or Shimano XT. Like the white color on the Stroker and they retail for more, but don't know much about them.

mtbr member
    I've got Shimano XT on my Niner RIP 9, with 180 front and 160 rear. Never tried the Hayes but I've got no complaints on the XT's, in fact, they're pretty damn nice and powerful. Could recommend.

mtbr member

Brakes on 29er build?

Love the performance of the XTs, but I had an issue with my rear brake master cylinder seal, which let air into the system. No parts were available and I had to get a new brake. I bought from CC, who took the return, which was great.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had hayes strokers on my 26er but when I put them on my 29er they just didnt work right. Found out the Shimano XTs were more 29er compatible so I ended up going with them and there was a huge increase in performance...

No, not really...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I upgraded to Shimano XT 180F/160R on my 12' Giant Anthem X29er 1 from the stock Avid Elixer 5's. Great stopping power, have been trouble free, am very pleased with the XT performance and would recommend them.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis M. View Post
    Any thoughts on these 2 type of brakes? Which is a better option? Hayes Stroker Gram or Shimano XT. Like the white color on the Stroker and they retail for more, but don't know much about them.
    Totally get the XTs.

BTW, brakes are the same for 29ers as 26ers. It all comes down to mass converted to heat, and getting rid of that heat. Since there is only a pound or two difference between 29ers and 26ers (plus rider weight) the difference is negligible.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    XT is awesome. You can go with the new SLX (2013 or later, I think the model is M670) if you want to save some cash - they're just as good with a bit more weight, at least from what I've seen.

mtbr member
    Yeah the XT's are pretty good all the way round. They worked great on my 11 mile 4000 foot DH run.. lightweight, and reasonably easy to set up. First time I've run them, and I really like em. I'd call myself a Hayes convert, but, I haven't tried the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Gonna go XT M785 then, and they're less $ too ! If I put 180mm rotors up front, do they need some type of spacer or bracket to make them work?

turtles make me hot
    I just put Shimano SLX on my wife's new build and like em so much, I'm getting them for my fat bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Lots of folks seem happy with their Shimano SLxs'/XTs, so if I can save a buck somewhere in the build with a different quality component....I'm good. Always good to get some opinions first. I own a 26r full XTR, but only because it was a killer package deal. Already replaced the rear mech, because I broke the carbon cage. XTR is pretty pricey!

mtbr member
    Lots of folks seem happy with their Shimano SLxs'/XTs, so if I can save a buck somewhere in the build with a different quality component....I'm good. Always good to get some opinions first. I own a 26r full XTR, but only because it was a killer package deal. Already replaced the rear mech, because I broke the carbon cage. XTR is pretty pricey!
    Indeed XTR is pricey. I have the XTR brakes on my 26'er and bent a lever, ended up bending it back when I found replacements cost $125 or something!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Gonna go XT M785 then, and they're less $ too ! If I put 180mm rotors up front, do they need some type of spacer or bracket to make them work?
    Yes. If your fork has post mounts for the brake caliper then it would be Shimano part # ISMMAF180PPA

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The new XT/SLX are the best brakes I have ever used. No lie.

MTB B'dos
    I have a set of Stroker Trails, thought they were good, UNTIL I got my XT M785 brakes. Couldn't believe the stopping power I had and how little arm power it takes to get it. Now granted I have the Strokers on another bike and much prefer the ergonomics of them to the XTs and have switched the rotors and they're working much better but not XT good, for the price, XTs can't be beat.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got XT m785. works perfect 203mm infront and 180mm on the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I upgraded my Giant Anthem to the 2012 XT from Avids last spring - they have been perfect and night/day better from the avids.

Added a new bike to the stable this year - a much heavier and burlier Satori - came w SLX - can't tell the difference btw the 13 slx to the 12 xt in terms of braking feel or power

winners!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Shimano all the way, either XT or XTR, 180 F X160 R.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    Yes. If your fork has post mounts for the brake caliper then it would be Shimano part # ISMMAF180PPA
    Yeah, Shimano has gone like the rest of the world and got rid of the goofy shims and went to brackets.

Nice thing is, if you want to change the rotor size, just buy a new $10-15 bracket and the rotor. They have brackets for all occasions, mounts, sizes and favors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The new shimano brakes are so good everybody else can just stop making brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hope Brakes get my vote, but what do I know )

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, HOPEs are good, and for just a bit less than a pair of Shimano XTs will cost you you can get one Hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewire88 View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

ballbuster
    Agreed.... Hopes are the best I've ridden (and owned). Too bad they don't make them with Dual Control levers, or I'd have them on all my bikes. I have a set of Mono Minis on my Singlespeed.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hope brakes are good but I sold my two sets and replaced them with shimano. Seriously they're that good.