mtbr member
    May 2013

Brake upgrade-rotors too?

I'm a recreational biker who spends most of my time getting a little exercise on single tracks near my house or chasing my kids. Last year I got a 2012 Trek Marlin 29er and have been generally happy with it. My only complaint, which I expected from the reviews, is the brakes. They're outrageously noisy. So I want to upgrade. Two questions. 1) I'm looking at the Shimano deore 596. Is this good move? 2) Do I have to replace the rotors? Or can I just replace the levers and calipers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go with the SLX which are the same as the XT/XTR except for weight. You need the levers, lines and calipers as a unit. Use your rotors but clean and rebed $79.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Crios View Post
    I'm a recreational biker who spends most of my time getting a little exercise on single tracks near my house or chasing my kids. Last year I got a 2012 Trek Marlin 29er and have been generally happy with it. My only complaint, which I expected from the reviews, is the brakes. They're outrageously noisy. So I want to upgrade. Two questions. 1) I'm looking at the Shimano deore 596. Is this good move? 2) Do I have to replace the rotors? Or can I just replace the levers and calipers?
    Try cleaning the brake pads first. They probably got something on them, like soap from washing your bike, chainlube, or brake fluid. Do a search on the torch method, or toaster oven method.

Failing that, try different brake pads. Organic pads are typically quieter than semi metallics, but they overheat more easily. If you're just doing mellow rides, overheating the brakes probably won't be an issue. If you have organics, try semi metallics, and vice versa. You can also try going around the brake track of the rotor with some medium sandpaper just to lightly score the braking surface, to break up any glaze the rotor has developed.

Also, brake noise isn't so much a reflection of the quality of the brakes. Great brakes can squeal just like crappy brakes can be quiet. It just means the resonant frequency of the caliper happens to line up with the resonance of the brake rotor and bike frame. Usually, changing one item in the mix can fix it. But first try new brake pads. They are the cheapest ingredient in that mix.

Old Fart Swamper
    Wet Brakes Rawk,
    way more power,
    fantastic modulation,
    way more power,
    great in the wet stuff,
    way more power,
    6ft 180 pounds, my 160 mm stock rotors are fine for me,

I will never ride cable brakes again.

mtbr member
    Echo pimpbot - If your only concern is the noise, try organic brake pads. Much quieter.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Excellent. Thanks for the advice. I'll start with cleaning the pads. I'd still like to upgrade in time, but don't mind postponing the expense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    M596 are excellent brakes. I have no qualms with them and don't miss the pad contact adjustment. They are significantly cheaper than the slxs too as you can score a pair for around $100.

I don't think you need SLX but if you want to spend the extra $60-$80 then go for it.

Then only time I change rotors is if they are really out of true to the point where bending them back would take too much time. You can get cheap Avid HS1s for like $15 on ebay. They work well enough.