Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Brake Suggestions for 2012 Spec Epic?

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  TJay74 
#1 ·
So I bought this bike 2 weeks ago, so far I love the bike but hate the Avid Elixir 7 brakes with a passion. My prev bike was a Trek and had the Shimano brakes on it, they stopped everytime with no issues.

Problem I am having with the Avid is they are brake fading and by the end of a 11 mile ride the rears are toast until they cool back down.

What have some of you all done to get rid of the issue? I think the calipers are fine, the shop replaced one set of pads so far and that seemed to help on the front. Leads me to think that I probably need to look at least at pads and rotors in order to make this brake setup 100% reliable.

Reactions: Mazukea
#2 ·
Try bleeding the system first. You might have contaminated brake fluid as well (even though the bike is new, stranger things have happened). If that doesn't solve it, try organic pads (they sometimes run a little cooler). The rotors are probably not the issue. I have Avid on my Trek. If the piston seals are not really clean, they can suck back air into the lines. I have to replace the piston seals (sometimes the pistons as well) every time I replace the pads. Avid brakes are kind of sensitive. One they are set up correctly, I like them well enough. Shimano XT is better, however. IMO!

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I plan on taking the bike back over to the shop and see what they can get resolved with Specialized and Avid. I doubt Specialized will allow a brake change out to Shimano but I am going to request something alternative than the Avid Brakes for sure as they dont have the braking consistancy that I am expecting it seems.

#10 ·
Shop has already bleed them twice and reset the calipers and I have re-bedded the pads and rotors as well.

It is the stock pads more than likely, they just suck.

#12 ·
Dropped the bike off at the LBS mechanics house, he is going to bring it in for me tomorrow and go thru the entire system again. He was telling me that when they build the bikes they shorten the brake lines out of the box so they are not so long, he thinks when the other mechanics put the bike together that there may be some air in the lines.

Going to bleed the brakes and go from there. If I continue to have issues next step is to get Avid involved, the mechanic knows their process front to back and said he will do all of the trouble shooting steps and if that doesnt work then will request a complete new brake setup and go from there.

Bad thing is I put the new 3T carbon bars on and swapped the Specialized stock tires for the brand new set of Geax Saguaro TNT tires and set them up tubeless, man was that a pain in the rear with those TNT and getting them mounted.

Ready for some ride time to see how the new bars, tires and hopefully brakes work out this weekend.

#13 ·
I know two guys that work at two different local bike shops. They both got Avid XX brakes for almost nothing and they hate them. I know at least 6 racers that have a deal with local stores and bought bikes with XX brakes and they all hate them. Everyone has problems with Easton wheels too but that's another story. If your Avids don't work don't accept an upgrade to a "better" Avid brake. They all suck. Hopefully you get everything sorted out and your brakes kick ass. Let us know how it goes.

#16 ·
I dealt with the same issues w/ Avid's on my Wifes new Specialized Fate. After numorous trips to the shop to have them rebled. The shop finally decided they needed to be sent back to Avid. I countered with the question of what will it take to have XT's installed and be done with this... The shop took the Avid's in on trade and gave me a very fair deal on XT's the XT's were on the bike the following day. Case Closed... :thumbsup:

#18 ·
I have a 2011 Epic and replaced the stock Avid brakes and rotors with 2012 XT's after a couple of rides. The Avid brakes sounded like a turkey during mating season and pulsated under hard braking. The XT's are awesome, they have great modulation, great stopping power, and have never pulsated in the last year.

#19 ·
Picked the bike after work tonight, they found some air in the lines and re-bleed both the front and rear and the levers are better, we will see on the ride tomorrow night. Did find out the brain is leaking oil at one of the junction points to the shop is calling Specialized to get another shock/brain unit sent it. Going to try and see if they will ship out the new 2013 spec shock/brain as it has revised valving and the new Autosag setup.

If the brakes give me trouble this time I am going to have the shop have Avid sent in a whole new setup and see if the shop will give me trade in value towards the Shimano SLX or XT and go from there, I am still not too enthused with the Elixir 7's as of yet.

Did get a chance to put my new 3T carbon rider bars on, Oury lock on grips, Easton EC70 carbon seatpost and even re-mounted the new Geax Saguaro tires I had on my Trek Mamba on last night, those were a pain in the rear to get mounted on the Stans wheels but they are on and setup tubeless.

Now to put some more miles on it and get it all dialed back in this weekend.

#20 ·
Went ahead and changed out the rear pads with a set of organic and replaced both rotors with some Origin 8 rotors. Going to see how this works for now, then next year find a set of Shimano XT brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.