mtbr member

Bought a new 29er and need tire help/suggestions

I bought a new trek x calibur 6 it has Bontrager XR1, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.0" the grip blows. I live in Georgia and the hard packed clay and the climes can get very steep and rooty/ruts/rocky. I want a wider tire that I know will perform well.

Any suggestions would be great!
    When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I understand, those came on my sons Trek and they have NO traction in most conditions. The best tires Ive ridden are Continental Trail kings. I just rode roots, ruts, rocks + in torrential rains at a place called skeggs point. I was doing steep climbs over roots and rocks without slipping. I'm in norcal and that's where I ride, but we have lots of different terrain and these handle great for me(5'11" 160) and my son (6'1" 150). They are a bit heavy but well worth it IMO. Not sure if size of rider makes any difference but I threw it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a new 29er and need tire help/suggestions-rockinht.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Here's a few tires I've tried that I feel work really well.
    Maxxis Ardent, especially up front, Kenda Honey Badger up front, like it... Tioga Psycho Genius. Like it front and rear. Currently running a Specialized Ground Control S works up front and REALLY like it.
    For a long time now, I've been running a Geax Saguaro on the back and it's a favorite.
    I rode in Georgia two years ago and had no trouble on that clay.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I run Kenda Nevegal front and Schwalbe Racing Ralph on back. This is on my 29er hardtail. This is the best setup I've tried so far. My bike came with very racy WTB NanoRaptors, which I found to be completely inadequate for the kind of trails I have in my neck of the woods. The Kenda Nevegal (front) is much knobbier than the NanoRaptor and gives me a LOT more traction for steering and braking. The Schwalbe Racing Ralph on back is also knobbier than the NanoRaptor (but not so much), so I can climb and brake better; but they also have much better edge/shoulder knobs that give me much confidence when cornering. I think this kind of mixed approach with a very knobby tire on front and a slightly less knobby tire on back is becoming very popular. I have loved it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Here's a few tires I've tried that I feel work really well.
    Maxxis Ardent, especially up front, Kenda Honey Badger up front, like it... Tioga Psycho Genius. Like it front and rear. Currently running a Specialized Ground Control S works up front and REALLY like it.
    For a long time now, I've been running a Geax Saguaro on the back and it's a favorite.
    I rode in Georgia two years ago and had no trouble on that clay.
    How do you find the size of the honey badger? I'm thinking of replacing my sb8 with one but I'm worried the 2.2 might be too large as I've read they have a lot of volume to them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i live in Georgia as well, I like the Maxxis Ardent in front, I have a Kenda Big Block 8 in the rear, do not recommend that one. but the Ardent is a great tire, i have the 2.25 x 29, they do make a 2.4 as well.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmeyer View Post
    How do you find the size of the honey badger? I'm thinking of replacing my sb8 with one but I'm worried the 2.2 might be too large as I've read they have a lot of volume to them.
    The Honey Badger has a sort of wide, low profile for a 2.2. It's not too big at all. I currently have one on my wife's bike on a Crest in a Reba Team.
    I like turtles

Keep on Rockin...
    Might try lowing pressures first.

What style? Fast XC, all-purpose trail, AM? A grippy XC tire compared to a grippy AM tire are very different animals.

Specialized tires - I find you get a lot of bang for your buck compared to Schwalbe. They set up tubless very well. Probably the best all-round, middle of the road, trail set up is a 2.3 Ground Control out back, and a 2.3 Purgatory up front. Very popular all conditions trail setup. For a little more climbing grip go with a 2.3 Purg out back. Run tubeless and run'm just low enough not to squirm on hard cornering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Might try lowing pressures first.

What style? Fast XC, all-purpose trail, AM? A grippy XC tire compared to a grippy AM tire are very different animals.

Specialized tires - I find you get a lot of bang for your buck compared to Schwalbe. They set up tubless very well. Probably the best all-round, middle of the road, trail set up is a 2.3 Ground Control out back, and a 2.3 Purgatory up front. Very popular all conditions trail setup. For a little more climbing grip go with a 2.3 Purg out back. Run tubeless and run'm just low enough not to squirm on hard cornering.

Most of the trails I ride are xc. Fast yes but they could also be alled AM as well.
    I did lower my tire pressure and it didn't help.
    When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB85 View Post
    Most of the trails I ride are xc. Fast yes but they could also be alled AM as well.
    I did lower my tire pressure and it didn't help.
    What did you lower them to ?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB85 View Post
    I bought a new trek x calibur 6 it has Bontrager XR1, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.0" the grip blows. I live in Georgia and the hard packed clay and the climes can get very steep and rooty/ruts/rocky. I want a wider tire that I know will perform well.

Any suggestions would be great!
    All arounders like Schwalbe Nobby Nics in 2.35 will do you quite well for what you describe. Do you have clearance in the rear for a 2.35? If not, run a 2.25 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm in Georgia and I run Continental Mountain Kings right now. I do like them. 2.4 up front and 2.25 rear.

Ardent makes a great front tire as well. NYrr196 pretty summed up my recent list of tires I have used which all were quite good.