mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Bottom Bracket Problem -- Question for Mechanics

Hey, I have a 2011 carbon Trek Superfly 100 with about 3500 miles on it. Purchased in late April of 2012.
    Here is the problem; the bottom bracket makes a very squeaky (not creaky) sound when the crank is rotated. I have isolated it by removing the chain and petals, so it can't be the chain ring bolts either. I have yet to pull the crank (anXT 2x10 crankset with about 300 miles on it) to see if the seals are dirty or damaged. The BB95 is a stock ceramic set. It is possible that the BB is toast already? I don't ride often through much water and keep the bike clean. Suggestions?

29er
    Apr 2010
    pull the crank, at best it needs grease

B.Ike
    I have had good luck reassembling with teflon tape. (important to remember to wrap in the same direction its going to get threaded).
    at that mileage you might need a new one.
    Last edited by ElwoodT; 10-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Pulled the crank set to clean the seals, wavy washer and re-grease the spline. All is good now. Thanks for the suggestions. elwoodturner, remember that a BB95 is a press fit system, therefore teflon tape would not work as there are no threads. Friends who have threaded BB use teflon with good effect. I think it was water contamination all along. I went for an unusual (for me) ride through many stream crossings and the bike was really dirty afterwards. I washed it and either the stream water or wash caused the noises. Good to know. Thanks!

B.Ike
    ^^my bad. My hats off to you btw with that kind of mileage since late April. I'm guessing I'm at about 1000+/-.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have put the blue locktite gel on the bearings when pressing them back in the frame and had good luck with no noise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    I have put the blue locktite gel on the bearings when pressing them back in the frame and had good luck with no noise.
    Good luck removing the BB95 you installed with blue locktite! When the bearing is pressed into the seat lip that locktite might bond it to the frame more or less permanently. You will have to be especially careful when pressing the BB out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    ^^my bad. My hats off to you btw with that kind of mileage since late April. I'm guessing I'm at about 1000+/-.
    I do ride a fair bit of mileage every week. It is not only good for my physical health, but my mental state as well!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Good luck removing the BB95 you installed with blue locktite! When the bearing is pressed into the seat lip that locktite might bond it to the frame more or less permanently. You will have to be especially careful when pressing the BB out.
    I have removed them several times this year to clean and grease and had no problems. I had creeks after several rides when I did not use the locktite. I think I read to use it in a manual somewhere.