mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Bottom Bracket and Crank Replacement

Hey guys. I'm new to the site and recently started biking a lot more with a group of friends. I have a 2011 Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er. It's pretty much stock other than some RF Grips and WTB Bronsons I just ordered. I may have been riding this bike a bit harder than what it's made for since it's a XC bike. Bottom line, I have a noise that's synchronous with the motion of the crank in certain positions while riding. My guess is that the bottom bracket needs to be replaced. I've been wanting to convert to a 2x9 set up anyway so I was planning to replace the BB and the crank. I tried to find some info for a few hours last night, but no luck. Hopefully somebody here can help me out with my question.

My Bolinas Ridge bracket 'shell' of the frame itself is 66m wide when I measured it. According to Bikepedia and the old Marin site before they got rid of my bike specs, it listed that it came with a Truvativ sealed cartridge BB. Problem is I can't find the size of the BB anywhere and I'm not sure if my own measuremenets are correct. I'm not sure what that means exactly and what size I would have to get. Most of the cranks I have found come with a 68/73mm BB. Will a 68/73mm bracket work in my 66mm?

Also, the specs mention that my bike has a 9 speed rear derailleur even though it came with an 8 speed shifter and cassette. I'm guessing that if I get a 9 speed cassette all I will need is a 9 speed shifter to make it work? Anyone use an SLX M667 front derailleur?

Thanks in advance for any help and hope to get back to trail slaying soon!
    Last edited by 1sh0t1b33r; 09-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.

ballbuster
    Well, several things.

For one, a new crank/BB might not fix your issue. It might be pedals, too, or it might just be BB creak that can be fixed by removing it, cleaning the threads and reinstalling it. You can just replace the bb cups for $30.

Your BBQ shell is most likely a 68mm. I never heard of a 66mm bb shell.

You can switch from 8 to 9 speed by switching out the 8 speed shifter, chain and cassette for 9 speed stuff. I would be surprised if your bike had 8 speed on it if it were a 2011 model, but I guess it's possible. 8 and 9 speed rear derailleurs are interchangeable. 10 speed is different, tho. Front derailleurs are the same.

mtbr member
    "9 speed cassette all I will need is a 9 speed shifter to make it work" Yes and a new 9 speed chain

You bottom bracket will be 68mm. You will need to use 3 spacers when installing an external bearing bottom bracket/crankset.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Lets say I was looking at something like this:

Shimano SLX M665 2x9 Crankset with Bash | Shimano | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Assuming I do have a 68mm BB, would this work? It doesn't list the spindle length (I think that's what it's called) but what length would I want for a double ring front crank? Do you have recommendations for a 9 speed chain that will work with a similar crank and a Shimano PG-970 or PG-990 rear cassette? Thanks for the fast replies guys!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I replaced my pedals with some nice sealed cartridge ones. I needed to do it anyway since I was still rocking the stock plastic ones and it was slippery after getting back on the bike on a wet day. I didn't realize pedals would make that big of a difference, but they fixed the creaking noise I was having. Thanks pimpbot!

Still no luck with finding out type of BB I have. Seems that not many people ride these things, lol. I just didn't want to tear the bike down since I still ride at least once a week and can't afford the downtime if I mess something up or need to order a part. Hopefully it is a style that can use a threaded external BB as most of the cranks I've been looking at used them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sh0t1b33r View Post
    Lets say I was looking at something like this:

Shimano SLX M665 2x9 Crankset with Bash | Shimano | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Assuming I do have a 68mm BB, would this work? It doesn't list the spindle length (I think that's what it's called) but what length would I want for a double ring front crank? Do you have recommendations for a 9 speed chain that will work with a similar crank and a Shimano PG-970 or PG-990 rear cassette? Thanks for the fast replies guys!

There is only one "spindle" length. For a 68mm bottom bracket use 3 spacers. Any 9 speed chain will work. I like Connex chains.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Also you might need to get the bottom bracket "faced" by a bike shop.

This should work shimano-deore-m590-9-speed-chainset

shimano-hg53-deore-9-speed-chain

If you want a double eBay the big ring and buy a bash guard.

mtbr member
    Square Taper Bottom Bracket Interchangeability

Bottom Bracket Size Database

If you choose to replace a "sealed bottom bracket" You need to know spindle length. Either measure the one you have or remove the one on your bike, it will usually have the length written on it. You will need English thread, 68mm and desired spindle length