Thread: Bontrager ssr

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Bontrager ssr

I have these wheels stock on my bike and am looking to upgrade. But I'd like to be able to compare new wheels to my existing wheels. However, I can't find any specs for these wheels so if any of you know i would appreciate it

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    You won't find specs on the SSR wheels. They are an OE only in house Trek brand and not available after market. I work for a Trek dealer and we can't get full specs on the SSR wheels, and they tended to vary between bikes as well. However I do know that the SSR rim was usually mated to either Joy Tech or Shimano hubs with straight gauge spokes and brass nipples, and were usually a 32 spoke wheel. On some bikes they speced a Joy Tech front hub and Shimano rear as well.

As far as weight goes SSR wheels usually tip the scale in the 2000g + range. But because of the variation in components there's no way to get more accurate with the weight other than to actually weigh them. If you decide to weigh them, pull the tire, tube, cassette, and skewers. You can pull the rim strip as well, but use caution. These wheels often came with a one piece semi soft plastic or nylon rim strip. They can be removed but are easily damaged or stretched to the point that they won't reseat properly again in the rim and will interfere with the seating of the tire bead in the rim. If you don't remove them just subtract 13 to 20g per wheel for the rim strips. Weigh them individually in grams and you'll have something for caparison purposes.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

29er
    Apr 2010
    I had these on my xcal, junk. What are you looking to get?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks Squash for the answer I might weigh them. And to Dan i also have the xcal and i was looking at stans ztr arch ex or flow rims but Im open to suggestion

29er
    Apr 2010
    both are good rims, all depends on your weight and riding style

here is what i did

high quality wheelset is the best upgrade you can make to the bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Im 6'4" 195lbs and by the way those wheels look great