mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Bontrager hub conversion.... Desperate need of help!

First off I would like to say hello and this is my first post...

I just purchased a used wheel set off of eBay (for a steal might I add) with bontrager hubs. The rear is a 142x12 and I need to convert it to a 135x10 thru bolt Qr for my 2013 Trek superfly Al. I wish I new what hubs they were but it looks like the DT Swiss end caps would work. Does anyone know what kit I would need or if it would work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager hub conversion.... Desperate need of help!-image.jpg  

Bontrager hub conversion.... Desperate need of help!-image.jpg  

Diggity Dog
    Trek probably makes a conversion kit for this hub. Do you know the wheel or hub model? A Trek dealer could be of assistance.

AZ
    banned
    Local Trek store.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the good advice so far but I forgot to mention I talked to my local shop and they even emailed trek with the pictures but they said they needed a model number...
    Which I can't find anywhere on the hubs. I can always take it in but I kinda wanted the to save the money and do it myself...the seller in eBay didn't specify what hubs he used when he pieced them together...

Does anyone know where I could find the model number?

mtbr member
    you might be able to take the cassette off and run the part number that is on the freehub, maybe that will give you a cross reference as to which hubs that freehub came on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So that's where the part number is... Thanks a lot ryandurep

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got what you need, pm me if you are interesting to trade with my 2013 fuel ex 8 rear hub.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Hub is made by Formula. It's heavy, loud and has slow freehub engagement. I like Bontrager stuff generally....but this is not one of them. Their RXL Scandium rims are light and spin-up fast, though.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks a lot Zachariah... Does formula make a conversion kit for these? I don't care if they're crappy cause I'm using them as a spare set for bike paths and riding with my little guy. Don't wanna ware out my nobby nics haha

Quote Originally Posted by 29erNate View Post
    Thanks a lot Zachariah... Does formula make a conversion kit for these? I don't care if they're crappy cause I'm using them as a spare set for bike paths and riding with my little guy. Don't wanna ware out my nobby nics haha
    No conversion for the hubs, but trek has the ABP axle conversion kits for about $50.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Bontrager hub conversion.... Desperate need of help!-image.jpgBontrager hub conversion.... Desperate need of help!-image.jpgBontrager hub conversion.... Desperate need of help!-image.jpgBontrager hub conversion.... Desperate need of help!-image.jpgUnfortunately My 2013 superfly doesn't have the ABP drop outs. But I took apart the hubs (somewhat) and they look like they would be convertible... I took some pics and found the free hub part number if it helps at all

Quote Originally Posted by 29erNate View Post
    Unfortunately My 2013 superfly doesn't have the ABP drop outs. But I took apart the hubs (somewhat) and they look like they would be convertible... I took some pics and found the free hub part number if it helps at all
    A guy on eBay makes a custom axle reducer, for 10x135 conversion. His seller name is mtbtools. See if his billet adapter works, for your application. I bought his front axle kit, reducing my 15mmTA FCC Bontrager hub to QR and it works PERFECTLY:

Mountain Bike 12mm thru Axle to Standard 5mm Quick Release Wheel Adapter | eBay

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's amazing!!! Then all I'll need is shorter end caps, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Does anyone know if it would be possible to get 135x12 end caps for these hubs? Then I can run that billet reducer axle. Thanks for all the help so far

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have just got some Bonty wheels and end-caps to convert to 142 - do the qr end-caps just pull off?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had these exact setup and ran into the same problem. Bike shop wanted 95 in parts and 25 for the labor. I got them cheap like you and ended up with a rebuild as I found out why they were a bargain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So..can anyone confirm that the end-caps just pull-off? They came with the wheels.