Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned

Bontrager "Duster" rims

I was talking to my LBS about a possible rim upgrade over my Delgado Disc rims. I am a clyde and was looking for something a little beefier. I have considered Rhyno-lites or Kris Holm rims. The mechanic suggested Bontrager "Duster" rims....I never heard of them but he said they are 28mm and STRONG and not too heavy. Anybody heard of them or have experience with them? (Just did a search and although they are out there not much experience with them yet)

mtbr member
    Here's my experience...

Another rim/wheel thread

They're the same rim that comes in the Rhythm wheelsets. Only black and 32 hole.

meh... whatever
    wide and beefy.

we had some apart at the shop yesterday doing a tubeless conversion and i put the calipers on them to find they were only 24mm inner to inner, so be sure about where the measurement is taken so youre on the same page. that being said, theyre still pretty frickin wide!

so wide, in fact, that the stans 29er strips were too narrow to get a good conversion. we had to do a ghetto convert with tubes. the factory tubeless rim strips are not available yet from trek for some odd reason.

imho youd have to perform an incredible act of stupidity to tear them up.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    wide and beefy.

we had some apart at the shop yesterday doing a tubeless conversion and i put the calipers on them to find they were only 24mm inner to inner, so be sure where the measurement is taken. that being said, theyre still pretty frickin wide!

so wide, in fact, that the stans 29er strips were too narrow to get a good conversion. we had to do a ghetto convert with tubes. the factory tubeless rim strips are not available yet from trek for some odd reason.

imho youd have to perform an incredible act of stupidity to tear them up.
    I have been know to be incredibly stupid at times But I am a 285lb clyde so I tend to break things. However, I haven't broke my Delgado Disc yet....I am just trying to be proactive. These will be laced to CK hubs so I am probably going to be getting them soon. Thanks for the input

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    I was talking to my LBS about a possible rim upgrade over my Delgado Disc rims. I am a clyde and was looking for something a little beefier. I have considered Rhyno-lites or Kris Holm rims. The mechanic suggested Bontrager "Duster" rims....I never heard of them but he said they are 28mm and STRONG and not too heavy. Anybody heard of them or have experience with them? (Just did a search and although they are out there not much experience with them yet)
    They are a good xc rim, but (like the Delgado Discs) just because they're wide don't confuse them for an AM or FR rim. They're still only 490g per rim (same as the narrower Bontrager rims), putting them solidly in the 'xc' department.

I wouldn't say that they are significantly beefier than the DD's you're running now. Best bet to get a little more stiffness and durability without gaining too much weight is the Stans Flow. Available in 32 or 36.

MC

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    They are a good xc rim, but (like the Delgado Discs) just because they're wide don't confuse them for an AM or FR rim. They're still only 490g per rim (same as the narrower Bontrager rims), putting them solidly in the 'xc' department.

I wouldn't say that they are significantly beefier than the DD's you're running now. Best bet to get a little more stiffness and durability without gaining too much weight is the Stans Flow. Available in 32 or 36.

MC
    Thanks, Mike...My LBS talked as if they were super burly and could withstand whatever I throw at them. If they aren't much more stiff than what I have...I'll go to the Stans Flow

meh... whatever

MC
    ill have to disagree.

the bontrager duster rim is designed for am, clyde, and heavy duty riding. its 490g, true, but that places it about 30g more than the flow. the duster is also heavier than the narrower bontrager mustang, which is about the same weight as the flow.

that being said, im currently running a set of ck hubs laced to mustang osb hoops and have not been able to destroy them yet. and i dont ride them gently.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What about the new Sun MTX 29? They look nice. Are they out yet?

Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    ill have to disagree.

the bontrager duster rim is designed for am, clyde, and heavy duty riding. its 490g, true, but that places it about 30g more than the flow. the duster is also heavier than the narrower bontrager mustang, which is about the same weight as the flow.

that being said, im currently running a set of ck hubs laced to mustang osb hoops and have not been able to destroy them yet. and i dont ride them gently.
    Well, actually, I have CK's laced to Delgado Disc now and other than initailly readjusting the CK hubs, these wheels have been trouble free. Haven't even needed truing...I had a good wheel builder build them for me. I was jsut concerned because I figure at my weight, I have to be stressing them and when I first got them everyone told me how weak they were going to be...that is the only reason I was thinking of changing

meh... whatever
    then i wouldnt change the hoops until you bust the ones youre riding now.

the delgado's are hella strong.

ill have to disagree.

490g makes it 30g less than the Flow.

Look at it this way: the Duster weighs the same as your Mustang Disc OSB, although the Duster is 4mm wider. In other words, the Duster has less material to work with, period.

I'm not suggesting that it's a bad rim in any way--I actually think it's a very good rim, it's just limited to XC use. Perhaps Bontrager markets it as an AM rim but I can tell you from personal experience that it's not up to the task.

Cheers,

MC

banned
    then i wouldnt change the hoops until you bust the ones youre riding now.

the delgado's are hella strong.
    If the Delgados are as strong as you say, then I will probably just ride em till they die. I had just read on MTBR about a catastrophic failure and within the threads were lots of negative post about them being weak...At my age and weight, hitting the ground hurts, so I though I would go a little more burly to ensure no sudden failures

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    What about the new Sun MTX 29? They look nice. Are they out yet?

Pretty sure the 29 in the model name refers to the width, not the diameter. Which is a bummer, because that would be an awesome AM/FR rim in 29".

MC

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Well, actually, I have CK's laced to Delgado Disc now and other than initailly readjusting the CK hubs, these wheels have been trouble free. Haven't even needed truing...I had a good wheel builder build them for me. I was jsut concerned because I figure at my weight, I have to be stressing them and when I first got them everyone told me how weak they were going to be...that is the only reason I was thinking of changing
    If they are working, there is no need to change them. If and when the rims fail then the Dusters would be a good choice for replacement. The offset spoke bed along with the width makes for a very solid wheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If they are working, there is no need to change them. If and when the rims fail then the Dusters would be a good choice for replacement. The offset spoke bed along with the width makes for a very solid wheel.
    Thanks, Shiggy

mtbr member
    If the Delgados are as strong as you say, then I will probably just ride em till they die. I had just read on MTBR about a catastrophic failure and within the threads were lots of negative post about them being weak...At my age and weight, hitting the ground hurts, so I though I would go a little more burly to ensure no sudden failures
    Eddie,

The catastrophic failures cited here were the lighter Delgado Race Disc...not the standard DD.

mtbr member
    EddieJones,
    I understand your reasoning for wanting to change rims. I witnessed Rockcrusher's wheel failure, which to this day makes me question any rim. It's definitely a tough call. Hard to get rid of something that's fairly light and working well. I guess it's a bit of a craps shoot with any rim, but I've seen first hand the failure of a Delgado Race rim. Good luck.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Eddie,

The catastrophic failures cited here were the lighter Delgado Race Disc...not the standard DD.
    Makes me feel better knowing that I have the Degado Dis, not Delgado Race...

meh... whatever
    490g makes it 30g less than the Flow.
    my bad, i was thinking of the arch.

the Duster weighs the same as your Mustang Disc OSB, although the Duster is 4mm wider. In other words, the Duster has less material to work with, period.
    um... wrong. the duster is 30g heavier than the mustang. period.

and yes, the duster has less material than the flow to work with. period.

however, 30g of rim material is not in and of itself going to make an exceptionally stronger rim. if one is shopping solely on weights and who mistakenly thinks that "heavier=better" then the flow is the obvious choice.

its like being the opposite of a weight weenie who buys according to the scale!

rim construction and design has as much to do as weight does, and 30g is a paltry amount of weight to be quibbling over or to use as suggestion that because the rim is a whopping 30g lighter than one of the heaviest 29rims out there that it is only suited for light duty use.

I'm not suggesting that it's a bad rim in any way--I actually think it's a very good rim, it's just limited to XC use. Perhaps Bontrager markets it as an AM rim but I can tell you from personal experience that it's not up to the task.
    so just because you had a bad experience with a set they are limited to xc use? forgive me if i dont follow that reasoning.

not trying to start a fracas here, im just wondering... since there are people who have had a bad experience with the flows in an am setting does that thereby relegate the flow to xc use only? or could it mean that sometimes things break, even when theyre being used at or below their intended usage?

imho there are too many factors to consider to simply say that because they weigh 30g less than the flow that they are only suitable for xc use. for example, who built the wheel? what kind of spokes? rider style/error? how exactly did the rim fail? see what im getting at?

truth is that the duster is not limited to xc use by any stretch of the imagination any more than the flow is. sorry they didnt work out for you in an am capacity, but honestly youre the first that ive heard that has had issue with them.

mtbr member
    Makes me feel better knowing that I have the Degado Dis, not Delgado Race...
    Oh, it that case, I wouldn't replace them. I thought you had Delgado Race Disc, not Delgado Disc. The Del Disc is a strong rim, much stronger than the Race. I also ride a set and ride pretty hard on them (although I'm only about 160). Still, haven't heard much about Delg. Disc failure.

Harmonius Wrench

Comments

First of all, I am running a set of Rhythm Comps, which as has been stated already, is the same as the Duster rim, only with less spokes. Rhythm= 28 hole, Duster= 32 hole. Everything seems just hunky-dory so far. I am at 240lbs, so solidly in the Clyde category, just for reference.

The Duster/Rhythm rims have an assymetrical spoke bed (good) and the inner rim well is symetrical (good). It also can be set up tubeless with Bontragers special rim strip, once they are available. (also good)

The Sun Rims new wheelset featuring 29"er rims is the Sun "Charger" in 29mm and 31mm widths. My experience with Sun Rims is that they build up average strength rims and are usually a pretty decent value. The jury is still out on these though.

If you aren't in too big of a hurry, the new Salsa rims will be available in a month or so and should be burly. Yes they will be expensive, and yes they will be heavier, but I'm betting they will be a great rim and should be up to AM use. I'm looking forward to them at any rate.

Expert Crasher
    Eddie - we need to hook up one day at OM and swap wheelsets so you can check out the Flows.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

my bad, i was thinking of the arch.
    No worries--mistakes happen.

um... wrong. the duster is 30g heavier than the mustang. period.
    Nope. Both the Duster and the Mustang Disc OSB clock in at between 489 and 492g consistently. I've got 30+ of each out on the shelf that I can weigh to verify this, but I've weighed enough of them in the past to be confident in the numbers I've posted here.

and yes, the duster has less material than the flow to work with. period.
    Correct.

however, 30g of rim material is not in and of itself going to make an exceptionally stronger rim. if one is shopping solely on weights and who mistakenly thinks that "heavier=better" then the flow is the obvious choice.
    Weight alone is never the only factor, but often 30g more material in a rim *is* enough to make it stiffer/stronger/more durable. Lots of examples of this on the market right now, and that I build with every day.

its like being the opposite of a weight weenie who buys according to the scale!

rim construction and design has as much to do as weight does, and 30g is a paltry amount of weight to be quibbling over or to use as suggestion that because the rim is a whopping 30g lighter than one of the heaviest 29rims out there that it is only suited for light duty use.
    Agreed that 30g is peanuts, but I wasn't aware that anyone was quibbling over the 30g?

In fact I can't remember having compared the Duster and the Flow at all--I think you drew that conclusion in your mind.

What was said was this:
    -the Flow is a stiffer and more durable rim than the DD.
    -The Duster is a solid XC rim.

Which rim are you referring to as 'one of the heaviest 29" rims'? The Flow? Heaviest at ~520g? Really?!!!?

You seem to have it stuck in your head that I'm slamming the Duster, and that simply ain't so. Calling it an XC rim is simply being honest. When I made my statements above there was no attempt to discredit it--it is what it is.

so just because you had a bad experience with a set they are limited to xc use? forgive me if i dont follow that reasoning.
    You're forgiven.

not trying to start a fracas here, im just wondering... since there are people who have had a bad experience with the flows in an am setting does that thereby relegate the flow to xc use only? or could it mean that sometimes things break, even when theyre being used at or below their intended usage?
    If there were enough people killing Flows when riding them in an "AM" style, then YES! that would be plenty to downgrade them to XC use only! But that isn't happening.

There aren't nearly as many Duster's out there (at the moment) as Flows, but the Dusters that ARE out there have proven to be less durable.

imho there are too many factors to consider to simply say that because they weigh 30g less than the flow that they are only suitable for xc use.
    I never said anything of the sort. Why keep twisting my words around?

for example, who built the wheel? what kind of spokes? rider style/error? how exactly did the rim fail? see what im getting at?
    Yes, I can see that you're doing anything you can to spin the facts in such a way that it makes you look more credible.

truth is that the duster is not limited to xc use by any stretch of the imagination any more than the flow is. sorry they didnt work out for you in an am capacity, but honestly youre the first that ive heard that has had issue with them.
    Based on your emotional response to my honest assessment of this rim, it's almost enough to wonder if you work for Bontrager. But a quick flip through the mental rolodex reminds me that most Bontrager folks are pretty even keeled and wouldn't mind one bit the fact that I've painted an accurate picture of their rim.

Peace,

MC

meh... whatever
    ~drivel snipped~
    wow.... its quite impressive that you can even ride a bike with such a big stick crammed all the way up your corn chute! BRAVO!

@EDDIE JONES - you now have some varying opinions of the dusters with the general consensus being that they would make a good, strong, solid wheel that would suit your purpose should you fold your current hoops.

also, i have had great success running the delgados tubeless with geax seguaro tyres. havent run them tubeless with any other tyres, but using the seguaros with low pressure, riding aggressively, and @200+# ive had zero issues with them on the delgado rims. even have them on a fat tyre 29er fixie with delgados and nary a burp or slipped bead.

just sayin in case that thought ever crossed your mind... thats all.

wow.... its quite impressive that you can even ride a bike with such a big stick crammed all the way up your corn chute! BRAVO!
    I'll make you a deal: When someone wants an emotional opinion with some twisted "facts", a negative bias, and angry undertones, I'll send them your way.

And if you hear of someone that wants actual facts, and just the facts, you can send 'em to me.

Pleasure doin' bizness with ya.

MC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast