Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bontrager 29-2/29-3 tires, any feedback?

So my normal racing/summer rubber is the schwalbe racing ralph 2.35F, 2.25R. I love the performance out of them as a balance of weight, rolling resistance, and grip but the durability and the price are getting to me. I keep getting punctures and slices in strange places like at the base of the center lugs and at the bead, bottom line they no longer seal and I want to try something else.

I like look of the new 29-3 and the 29-2 as a front rear combo but I can't find any feedback. My local trek dealer seems kind of clueless as they only have the old tread design (pre frank Stacey) in stock and don't seem to be aware there is a newer one. They also insisted that no bontrager tires should be run tubeless. Then they tried to sell me continentals instead...amazing.

Anyone run these tires? How's the durability, grip, and rolling resistance? Which version is best for an everyday tire with some racing thrown in if i want to run tubeless with stan's? Doing most of my riding in Western NC if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

human dehumidifier
    I have the old model 29-3 tire (has a tread pattern similar to an Ardent) so I can't comment on the new tread pattern, but can say that mine is the Team TLR model and it sealed up fine on an Arch rim with sealant. Wear-wise it's about the same as any other tire.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I have the old model 29-3 tire (has a tread pattern similar to an Ardent) so I can't comment on the new tread pattern, but can say that mine is the Team TLR model and it sealed up fine on an Arch rim with sealant. Wear-wise it's about the same as any other tire.
    Yeah I don't know why they insisted bontrager tires don't work tubeless, we even discussed the TLR version and he said they would not seal even with stan's. I got the feeling his opiion might have been based on one specific instance from a long time ago, either that or he really wanted to get rid of his old conti's he had in stock.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm running the 29-3 expert version tubeless with no problems. And that's currently on bontrager oem wheels. But I have a set of Stans rims on the way, and everyone I work with at my shop runs the 29-3 on stans arch ex with no problem. I've set up a few 29-3s both expert and team with various wheels tubeless using a compressor and they seat up really well.

I'll be sticking with the 29-3s or even 4s and 2s as long as they keep the current tread pattern. They roll well and hook up nice. During the winter I run the 29-4 in front with the 29-3 in rear. I'm currently setup both 29-3, but have been considering throwing the wider 29-2 on the rear when summer hits.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    I've been running the 29-3 Team (with the long tread blocks in the 2.2 size) on the front of most of my bikes for the last two years now. It's my go-to tread since it lasts a long time, is plenty grippy, and mounts up great on Stans rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone running a TLR Bontrager tire on Arch EX, Flow EX, or Crests? I hear they are very difficult to mount on the newer style stans rims.

I had the 26" version of the 29-4 and it's one of my favorite front tires. Would really like to run it on a 29 if it's easy to mount on an Arch EX.

WNC Native
    I've only tried them on the standard 29 Flow rims, but I've ran Jones ACX Gumbi, FR3, and now 29-4 tubeless with ease. All aired up with a floor pump easily.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I'm running the new version of the 29-2 tubeless on the front of one bike and front and rear of another. They are light, roll fast, but the grip on anything other than hardpack is moderate at best. Given the modest tread, this is about what I expected.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I have the 29-3 on my superfly and they are awesome. Grippy but still roll fast!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hmm, sounds like 29-3/29-2 combo might be the way to go. How's the volume of the 2.3"? Wondering how it compares in size to my Racing Ralph 2.35. RR's arent the grippiest but I don't mind drifting and the huge volume makes them very predictable.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    My current summer combo is the current gen 29-3 and SS Ralph on my FS with UST rims. Fast, with just enough grip on the front for dry, dusty conditions. I got a good deal on the Ralphs, which help off set the fast wear. With Stans rims, I would throw a non TNT Saguaro or regular Race King on the back and maybe a non TCS Wolverine on the front. Relatively inexpensive and long wearing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    My current summer combo is the current gen 29-3 and SS Ralph on my FS with UST rims.
    What type/size is your 29-3, what type of UST rims do you have and can you measure the casing width for us?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was a big fan of the old style 29-2's, but I'm thinking of a larger volume tyre like the 2013 29-3 so interested in this feedback. Frustratingly I can't find any reviews online about these new 2013 versions.

MTB B'dos
    No experience with those specific tyres, but do have experience with Bonti's TLR casing and as others have said, airs up with a hand/trail side pump without sealant, will actually hold air without loosing pressure for ever it would seem, just safer to add some sealant in case - Your shop is full of $hit.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Agree with Lynx, Bonti casing's have given me the best tubeless experience/performance of any brand I've tried.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have 29.4 team issue written on sidewall of my tires

these tires work great tubeless on rims that came stock on my trek single speed.

the tires seem to have sidewalls that cut easy.

my process for tire repair is

replace with tube after i get flat that stan's won't seal.

clean inside of tire at hole/cut ,,once i get home.

place vulcanizing patch on inside of tire at cuts/puncture

then refill with stans and run tubeless until next flat.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    What type/size is your 29-3, what type of UST rims do you have and can you measure the casing width for us?
    I have the TLR Team version mounted to a ENVE rim. Unforturnately, my bike is in the shop so I can't measure it. It's sort of a fat, squat casing. It's not as big as a Nic or Hans. It seems that Bonti has renamed the tire- why do they keep doing that? It's a expensive tire, but it is of quality. It sealed and resealed easily and holds air well. No burping, but didn't require brute force to get it on and off the rim. I don't know if I would run one in the rear becuase of cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    I have the 29-3 on my superfly and they are awesome. Grippy but still roll fast!
    which superfly model do you have? i have the 12' SUPERFLY AL ELITE and im leery in getting the 29-3 as i may have clearance issues.

thanks.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    here is what the 29/3 looks like on single speed
    Bontrager 29-2/29-3 tires, any feedback?-my-bike.jpeg

mtbr member
    I run the 29-4s on my Specialized Carve with tubes at 40 psi. The trails I ride in CT are loaded with ledge, loose rock and tree roots. These things grip anything. The kid at the shop recommended these for the terrain I mentioned and he was dead on. He suggested reversing the tread direction of the back tire for even more traction, but I didn't do it. They run pretty well in wet and muddy conditions too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the package says 29.4
    but the size listed on side of tire says 29.3

you can see the tire in use here

Three and a half minutes of wheelies - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My friends ride the 29-4 and 29-3 and they love them both. They never had anything bad to say about them and they are tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the New 2013 29-3 Expert Front and 29-1 Expert Rear. I weigh 182# and run 27 psi front and rear with tubes. Trek Superfly 100 al. The bike came with 29-1 expert front and rear. Trails around this area vary. Greensboro NC. There is mainly hardpack clay with some loamier dirt. Mud will stay in the middle of the corners days after a rain. I was washing out the front end with the 29-1 and needed more grip. 29-1's don't not grip well on the sides in loose or muddy corners. Researched tires till I was confused. Talked to the Trek Store guys and they steered me to the 29-3. That tire is exactly what I needed. The front end bites. I corner fast downhill. The front end has not let me down yet. I can break the rear end loose now. I do not notice increased rolling resistance offroad. The 29-1's roll fast and I can tell a difference on pavement. I think I might try a 29-2 on the rear to balance the grip. From what I'm told is the 29- tires are going to be renamed to xr-
    Last edited by Supa Dupa Fly 100; 06-06-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Location

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Supa Dupa Fly 100 View Post
    I have the New 2013 29-3 Expert Front and 29-1 Expert Rear. I weigh 182# and run 27 psi front and rear with tubes. Trek Superfly 100 al. The bike came with 29-1 expert front and rear. Trails around this area vary. Greensboro NC. There is mainly hardpack clay with some loamier dirt. Mud will stay in the middle of the corners days after a rain. I was washing out the front end with the 29-1 and needed more grip. 29-1's don't not grip well on the sides in loose or muddy corners. Researched tires till I was confused. Talked to the Trek Store guys and they steered me to the 29-3. That tire is exactly what I needed. The front end bites. I corner fast downhill. The front end has not let me down yet. I can break the rear end loose now. I do not notice increased rolling resistance offroad. The 29-1's roll fast and I can tell a difference on pavement. I think I might try a 29-2 on the rear to balance the grip. From what I'm told is the 29- tires are going to be renamed to xr-
    please let us know how the 29-3/29-2 combo works. i plan to swap my Rumblefish 29-3 with my Superfly 29-2 front...
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    located in oregon and have been running the newer 29-4 front and 29-3 rear for about a year. tons of grip, rolling resistance acceptable and hold air well. like them well enough to replace my previous favorite ardent 2.4/ignitor 2.1 combo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast